Don't sleep on oil-rinses!

I *might* give it one more try with better products...generally I don't have tangling issues unless I'm using a bad shampoo (Kenra Clarifying and now Jason Natural Sea Kelp). I have to admit I'm not impressed with using the jojoba and coconut oils. If I decide to buy meadowfoam seed oil in the distant future, I might just try it again at that time. I decided today that I might just continue using Dominican products...

I've been on a dom products kick lately too. I've had my best results from aphogee EFA concentrated oil, red palm butter, and a jojoba/red palm/meadowfoam mix.

Hmmmmmmmm, glad I read this. I will be trying it this weekend when I shampoo again.

I have one question. Should I oil rinse before using UBH deep conditoner?

Hmmmmmmmm, glad I read this. I will be trying it this weekend when I shampoo again.

I have one question. Should I oil rinse before using UBH deep conditoner?
Yeah, you could. But you can also do it after. I would prefer to do it before, though.

OOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMMMMMMMGGGGGGGGGGGGGGooodNESS this is AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!

ok, I love it!!!!!! I just did a prepoo with LUST and Macadamia Nut oil for about 30 minutes....as I was waiting I came across this thread.....so ....uuuuu YEAH I was in there and gonna try it....

This seems similar to a hot oil treatment but not really!! as I thought about it I didnt have to leave it in that long to see results....I did start out with detangling my hair befioe the prepoo cause I didn't want to see all that hair in the shower but I didn't have that much on the comb before OR after detangling in the shower!!!!!

My hair usually takes 15 slow minutes on each side to detangle in the water and MY GOODNESSS the comb REALLY SLipped out through my hair.....ALLL OVER, there was not a snag in my head

WOW!!! THANKS for Bumping this and THANKS SARECA for startin it .....FOR ME this REALLY works and I did my rollerset IN NO TIME- 20-25mins- I'm usually working a 45 min shift in the bathroom!!!!!! Every ounce of hair stayed on my scalp.....very little hair in the comb during rollerset....ok LET me Shut up now but if you hair response to a prepoo I think it would LOVE THIS method!!:drunk::drunk::drunk: I'm drunk :drunk::drunk:

This might make me do my hair more often!!!

Oh BTW Where are you guys buying meadowfoam oil....I can't find that anywear?

I finally tried oil rinsing and while it's not conclusive, I think it help make my hair softer and easier to detangle. I say it's not conclusive because I also tried a new conditioner with it. But I did notice my hair was pretty easy to detangle prior to applying my deep conditioner.;)

OOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMMMMMMMGGGGGGGGGGGGGGooodNESS this is AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!

ok, I love it!!!!!! I just did a prepoo with LUST and Macadamia Nut oil for about 30 minutes....as I was waiting I came across this thread.....so ....uuuuu YEAH I was in there and gonna try it....

This seems similar to a hot oil treatment but not really!! as I thought about it I didnt have to leave it in that long to see results....I did start out with detangling my hair befioe the prepoo cause I didn't want to see all that hair in the shower but I didn't have that much on the comb before OR after detangling in the shower!!!!!

My hair usually takes 15 slow minutes on each side to detangle in the water and MY GOODNESSS the comb REALLY SLipped out through my hair.....ALLL OVER, there was not a snag in my head

WOW!!! THANKS for Bumping this and THANKS SARECA for startin it .....FOR ME this REALLY works and I did my rollerset IN NO TIME- 20-25mins- I'm usually working a 45 min shift in the bathroom!!!!!! Every ounce of hair stayed on my scalp.....very little hair in the comb during rollerset....ok LET me Shut up now but if you hair response to a prepoo I think it would LOVE THIS method!!:drunk::drunk::drunk: I'm drunk :drunk::drunk:

This might make me do my hair more often!!!

Oh BTW Where are you guys buying meadowfoam oil....I can't find that anywear?

CONGRATS! I know just how you feel. :yep:

I finally tried oil rinsing and while it's not conclusive, I think it help make my hair softer and easier to detangle. I say it's not conclusive because I also tried a new conditioner with it. But I did notice my hair was pretty easy to detangle prior to applying my deep conditioner.;)

Been there too. :yep: I tried 3 new products this month. Two followed with an oil rinse and they were awesome. The one I did without an oil rinse left my hair a little dry. Oil rinses make any old thing work well for me so it's hard to review new products. I'm too lazy to try them all without doing an oil rinse. :ohwell:

Last edited:
I did an oil rinse and I LOVED it!!!

I rollerset my hair last night and my hair came out very moisturized and super shiny today. Here's what I did:
1. Pre-poo's w/ Nexxus Humectin and Aubrey's GPB
2. shampoo'ed w/ Kenra
3. oil rinsed w/ Jamola (spelled wrong) oil from Family Dollar (olive,almond,castor) and its cheap, located by the soap in the Hispanic section
4. DC w/ Silicon Mix
5. Leave In- Sallys Ion, Lacio Lacio, Fantasia IC Serum
6. rollerset- diluted setting lotion w/ water and jojoba oil

It came out great. Excuse the new growth!:grin:

Pics in Various Styles in my album.

Typically I ignore threads about detangling methods and products. I have for the last year or so. I thought my hair's health or my big chop had something to do with how easily it detangles. That is absolutely NOT the case. The oil-rinse method is why it detangles so easily. My hair completely detangles under just running water! :eek: Keep in mind I've recently adopted a low manipulation regimen. So the last time I detangled was at least a week (or more) ago.

If you're having problems with tangles try this...
  1. Rinse (or shampoo) your hair
  2. Coat in your favorite oil (I've used olive, meadowfoam, dabur alma, and aphogee EFA oil, red palm oil/butter)
  3. Rinse with warm/hot water
  4. Apply conditioner
  5. Rinse
  6. Apply leave-in
  7. Seal
I'm not alone other people think it a miracle too...http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?p=2679989#post2679989

Don't sleep on oil-rinses! It may be your hair miracle. :yep:

Okay Sareca I have two more questions...Oil rinses are good...but I'm changing my regimen and need your help. I want to do an Apoghee Protein Treatment-the heavy protein treatment.
1) When do I apply my oil...so if I shampoo, then do the protein treatment, then do I apply the oil rinse?

2) In addition would I be wrong to shampoo, DC and then do the oil rinse...

3) I never understood why the oil rinse is done before the DC...wouldn't that block the effects of the DC? Please let me know...

Thanks again for your help......

I've rinsed my hair, applied either olive oil or baby oil, put on a coin-sized amount of Aveda DR or Nexus Humectress as a leave-in and moisturized curls pop. I am a definite believer.

I tried this today and I'm not sure if I have anything to brag about. I used amla oil. I'm gonna keep trying this and see if i notice any differences though I rarely have tangles.

Did my oil rinse Saturday with my henndigo treatment.

1. DC with Humectress with baggy and with heat cap (30 minutes) with heating cap (place towel over baggyed hair under heat cap)
  2. Rinsed & airdried to damp
  3. Applied henna/indigo mix - kept on for 2 hours
  4. Rinsed with Dove Moisturizing Conditioner
  5. Applied EVOO and squeezed through root to tip
  6. Rinsed in warm to hot water
  7. DC on damp hair again with ORS Replenishing Pak (30 minutes with heating cap (place towel over baggyed hair under heat cap)
  8. Rinse again and applied leave-in and a seal with a little JBCO
  9. Rollerset
NICE :grin: :grin:

Okay Sareca I have two more questions...Oil rinses are good...but I'm changing my regimen and need your help. I want to do an Apoghee Protein Treatment-the heavy protein treatment.
1) When do I apply my oil...so if I shampoo, then do the protein treatment, then do I apply the oil rinse?

2) In addition would I be wrong to shampoo, DC and then do the oil rinse...

3) I never understood why the oil rinse is done before the DC...wouldn't that block the effects of the DC? Please let me know...

Thanks again for your help......

I usually DC dry hair then poo then oil rinse. But even if you do it afterwards it doesn't block it. It kinda defies logic, but somehow it enhances the conditioning. DC'g dry hair works great with oil rinses because it cuts down the number of trips your head has to make under the facet. :up: I'm gotten so lazy with my hair. Now that I know what works I spend my time trying to streamline the process.

Last edited:
I have been doing this with Olive Oil and i'm not sure i can see/feel a difference with the tangles.
To be honest i don't think my hair likes Oilve Oil - like it has a drying effect.

I'll try again with Coconut Oil.

I haven't read through all the posts but two questions..............

1. How much oil do i have to apply? Is it a coating or do i have to saturate my hair?

2. How long do i leave it in for? I have just been leaving it for a minute. Perhaps i ought to be getting out of the shower and leaving it to soak in for a while.

I have been doing this with Olive Oil and i'm not sure i can see/feel a difference with the tangles.
To be honest i don't think my hair likes Oilve Oil - like it has a drying effect.

I'll try again with Coconut Oil.

I haven't read through all the posts but two questions..............

1. How much oil do i have to apply? Is it a coating or do i have to saturate my hair?

Lately I've been dividing my hair down the middle and using a palm full for each side. It's probably 1/4 cup total.

2. How long do i leave it in for? I have just been leaving it for a minute. Perhaps i ought to be getting out of the shower and leaving it to soak in for a while.

Usually I oil rinse in the shower so it only stays for 30-60 seconds. Try using another oil. Do you have anything besides coconut. It can be a little drying sometimes too.

Sareca girl I was going to start a post thanking you. Last night I finally decided to wash my hair after taking out my braids about 3 days ago. I got some castor oil and slather it on my hair. Then I put some conditioner on top of it, put my hair in 4 sections, and then put a plastic cap on and headed to the shower. I let the water run down each section first to get the oil/conditioner out, then I shampooed and conditoned. It took me less than 30 minutes to section, detangle, comb, grease, and rebraid my hair. I don't know if it was the oil or the conditioner but either way it was this post that made me decide to do so. I think I am going to stay natural after all.

P.S.- I am brastrap again after my BC back in October 2005. I will take and post pics for my nappiversary in November. Q

Sareca girl I was going to start a post thanking you. Last night I finally decided to wash my hair after taking out my braids about 3 days ago. I got some castor oil and slather it on my hair. Then I put some conditioner on top of it, put my hair in 4 sections, and then put a plastic cap on and headed to the shower. I let the water run down each section first to get the oil/conditioner out, then I shampooed and conditoned. It took me less than 30 minutes to section, detangle, comb, grease, and rebraid my hair. I don't know if it was the oil or the conditioner but either way it was this post that made me decide to do so. I think I am going to stay natural after all.

P.S.- I am brastrap again after my BC back in October 2005. I will take and post pics for my nappiversary in November. Q

:woohoo2: I'm very happy for you. :hug2:

Sareca,
Thank you so much for posting this. I had to wash lastnight due to having pool water splashed on me. I did an oil rinse and I love it. I had to share this with others. I will be sticking with this. I am going to add to my weekly regimen.

Once again Thank you. My next step is to DC on dry hair :look:. :lachen::lachen:

Lately I've been dividing my hair down the middle and using a palm full for each side. It's probably 1/4 cup total.

Usually I oil rinse in the shower so it only stays for 30-60 seconds. Try using another oil. Do you have anything besides coconut. It can be a little drying sometimes too.

Aaaah (lightbulb moment......) I have loads of grapeseed oil that i need to use up. Is this OK?

Aaaah (lightbulb moment......) I have loads of grapeseed oil that i need to use up. Is this OK?

I know it's tempting, but don't use oils you already know your hair doesn't like. I like grapeseed oil, but it's used as an astringent and natural antibacterial. Is it straight or in a mix? If it's an oil mix go for it. If it's straight
try combining grapeseed, olive and coconut. :twocents:

Sareca,
Thank you so much for posting this. I had to wash lastnight due to having pool water splashed on me. I did an oil rinse and I love it. I had to share this with others. I will be sticking with this. I am going to add to my weekly regimen.

Once again Thank you. My next step is to DC on dry hair :look:. :lachen::lachen:

You're welcome. :hug2: I'm glad it worked for you. If you like oil rinses you're gonna love DC on dry hair w/ heat. :yep: That's basically my whole reggie now.

Thanks for this tip Sareca. I tried yesterday and this morning. I only wash every two weeks so I decided to try this with a co-wash and it worked really well. My hair is sooooo soft and the curls are really poppin. I haven't texlaxed since April so I really needed some help.

I wet my hair then I put oil in it and put the shower cap on for a few mintues, next I rinsed the oil and put conditioner in and put a shower cap back on for a few minutes. After I rinsed the conditioner i put a little oil and put it in a banna clip. The great part is I didn't need hardly any product for pretty silky curls.

Thanks Girl:grin:

Tried this last nite w/ Africas Best Ultimate Oil. Cowashed then added the oil to my hair. Rinsed w/ warm water. Hair still was tangly...... I rinsed it again and that kinda helped a little. My airdried hair is very very very soft and feels so awesome!! :thumbsup: But it's a little too oily.. I used very little oil so I'm not sure if I need to use something else. But my hair is just pinned to the back today anyway so it actually works out great. I'll keep tweaking it.......

Tried this last nite w/ Africas Best Ultimate Oil. Cowashed then added the oil to my hair. Rinsed w/ warm water. Hair still was tangly...... I rinsed it again and that kinda helped a little. My airdried hair is very very very soft and feels so awesome!! :thumbsup: But it's a little too oily.. I used very little oil so I'm not sure if I need to use something else. But my hair is just pinned to the back today anyway so it actually works out great. I'll keep tweaking it.......

Let us know what you figure out. :yep:

@ Chanel ... you're welcome. :)

Oh my goodness! I just had to come in here and comment. I have to admit that I slept on this thread, because I usually run away from anything that smacks of a bandwagon! :lol: But, I am a frequent rollersetter and I am not relaxed bone straight, so I needed a tangle remedy. Lately, I have been getting those tiny knots from shed hair that does not make it out in the final rinse. When I detangle, the shed hairs get all wrapped around my hair and make little knots in some areas. It is very frustrating. I get this even though I comb out my hair before I wash.

I just rollerset after doing the oil rinse with EVOO and even though I am still under the dryer, I will say this: I had the best combout that I have had on a rollerset in a while. I hardly lost any hairs to tangles or breakage. I am pleased so far. Also, it was a very fast set, because the comb was gliding through my hair. I am very happy so far.

Now, in about 1.5 hours, I will come back and report if my hair was a greasy mess after. I am so hoping that it will not be, because this was a really nice experience. :) Oh, and I am 8 weeks post, so this is even better news! :)

Thanks Sareca. If the end result is good, I'll really be thanking you even more!

Last edited:
Back