2 Week Club: The low manipulation challenge... anybody?

sareca

Today is day 3 and I decided to cowash. Well I jumped in there expecting what I normally get... hair that detangles itself under running water. It's usually laying flat and smooth after just a few seconds under the water. Well, not today. Today it was rough and catching on itself and being a big ol' pain...until I added the oil. My cowash routine is to rinse, apply oil (usually red palm or EFA), rinse with hot water, apply conditioner, rinse, apply leave-in and seal. Today the oil was on the sink and I was too lazy to get out of the shower and get it--until I realized it is absolutely essential for my hair to behave. I applied the oil left it a minutes and rinsed with hot water... it all good.

BTW, last time I was stressin' by day 3. This time, I feel like a pro. I'm not even a little concerned. I'm gonna henna my hair tonight (w/ no detangling/combing) :eek:

Last edited:

chellero

Wife Supremacist
It's been pretty easy for me not to detangle. I've just been baggying it at night and shaking it out in the morning. I'm a little nervous about my DC detangling session. I ran out and bought some of the kids organics shea butter in case I need it.

sareca

It's been pretty easy for me not to detangle. I've just been baggying it at night and shaking it out in the morning. I'm a little nervous about my DC detangling session. I ran out and bought some of the kids organics shea butter in case I need it.

Good call on the detangler. When is your d-day?

sareca

Today is day 4. It's so easy this time around. I'm actually more worried about styling on d-day. :( I hated my WNG after detangling last time.

I_shure_do_wish

I would love to join but seeing that im on another chanellge I'll just mix the two. AND TRUST ME WHEN I SAY THIS IS YOUR GONNA GET YOU RESULTS!!
My litte sister does nothing to her hair she barely combs it this is her routine slick it up using elasta QP gel and put on her pony tail and shes out the door and she just leaves the gel in for as long as it can survive in her hair. Her hair is about mid back and my mom cut her hair off two years ago and now her hair grows like it's nothing ill post some pics because im just shocked. She hasn't conditioned her hair for almost a year now and her hair is soft.

sareca

I would love to join but seeing that im on another chanellge I'll just mix the two. AND TRUST ME WHEN I SAY THIS IS YOUR GONNA GET YOU RESULTS!!
My litte sister does nothing to her hair she barely combs it this is her routine slick it up using elasta QP gel and put on her pony tail and shes out the door and she just leaves the gel in for as long as it can survive in her hair. Her hair is about mid back and my mom cut her hair off two years ago and now her hair grows like it's nothing ill post some pics because im just shocked. She hasn't conditioned her hair for almost a year now and her hair is soft.

I believe it! :yep: There's a lot to be said for leaving it alone.

mscocoface

Just did a wash today my two weeks. Off to church tomorrow may do a what I did with it today, who knows but I won't be combing it again for at least another two weeks whatever I do may try to stretch it even longer.

Living dangerously ovah heya! :lachen:

sareca

Just did a wash today my two weeks. Off to church tomorrow may do a what I did with it today, who knows but I won't be combing it again for at least another two weeks whatever I do may try to stretch it even longer.

Living dangerously ovah heya! :lachen:

Congrats! :dance7: This week was so easy I've been toying with going for broke too.

leleepop

Today is day 3 and I decided to cowash. Well I jumped in there expecting what I normally get... hair that detangles itself under running water. It's usually laying flat and smooth after just a few seconds under the water. Well, not today. Today it was rough and catching on itself and being a big ol' pain...until I added the oil. My cowash routine is to rinse, apply oil (usually red palm or EFA), apply conditioner, rinse, apply leave-in and seal. Today the oil was on the sink and I was too lazy to get out of the shower and get it--until I realized it is absolutely essential for my hair to behave. I applied the oil left it a minutes and rinsed with hot water... it all good.

BTW, last time I was stressin' by day 3. This time, I feel like a pro. I'm not even a little concerned. I'm gonna henna my hair tonight (w/ no detangling/combing) :eek:
You are absolutely right about pre poo with oil. I learned that when I was transitioning. I alway leave coconut oil one hour before I rinse,detangle my hair.Great tip:yep:

MonaRae

Today is day 3 and I decided to cowash. Well I jumped in there expecting what I normally get... hair that detangles itself under running water. It's usually laying flat and smooth after just a few seconds under the water. Well, not today. Today it was rough and catching on itself and being a big ol' pain...until I added the oil. My cowash routine is to rinse, apply oil (usually red palm or EFA), apply conditioner, rinse, apply leave-in and seal. Today the oil was on the sink and I was too lazy to get out of the shower and get it--until I realized it is absolutely essential for my hair to behave. I applied the oil left it a minutes and rinsed with hot water... it all good.

I will have to give this a try. I decided to wash my hair every 2 weeks b/c it tangles so bad. I hope this works for me!

Day 7 out of 14! I wear protective styles b/c I'm also doing the HYH challenge.

Last edited:

sareca

I will have to give this a try. I decided to wash my hairevery 2 weeks b/c it tangles so bad. I hope this works for me!

Day 7 out of 14! I wear protective styles b/c I'm also doing the HYH challenge.

I've been wearing a single french braid all weekend. I might continue to wear it until friday. I just put a scarf on at night and take it off in the morning and go. Although it is a protective style I really want to try a NO manipulation hair style for the next 4 days or so.

Let me know how that oil thing works out. I've heard a few other people call it an oil-rinse. I like that... let me know if the oil-rinse helps with your tangles.

LadyZ

I CW today... and I did detangle in the shower... It had been 4 days since I used a comb... I am 6 weeks post...so I need to detangle, so this stuff does not becomes a "hot mess"... My next poo/deep condition day is Saturday... I hope I can get through it without needing a comb... I will try very hard not too.... I will let you know...
==========

Ok, things went too well, I am scared:look:, Today I CW and air dried I still have not combed, I think it has been 7 days, I have lost count... Wednesday I have to comb, I have to roller set after I CW.. I have a few important dates on Thursday and need to look cute:lachen:.... I am 7 weeks post and will get my touch-up next week at 8 weeks post...
I will roller set again on Sunday, that will be the end for me on this challenge... I hope to post some pictures on Sat. or Sun. I took a picture of wet hair before and will take another picture this weekend, then post the results... I hope I have some length... This was a fun challenge, and happen at the right time, when I was off two weeks from work:yep:...

Thanks

sareca

Um... Lady? We're supposed to be going until the end of the year. :look: Uh-oh, maybe I didn't say that. :blush3:

LadyZ

Um... Lady? We're supposed to be going until the end of the year. :look: Uh-oh, maybe I didn't say that. :blush3:

=======

ohhh,
Ok, I think I can still hang... I will be going into bunning for the winter... So, I can stay in it the duration... For some reason I though it was weeks... That what I get for being sleepy and still reading all the post:lachen:... No Problem,
I really like this no combing thing... I am still in then...
I hope there will be a bunning and low manipulation challenge for the winter (from Nov.-Mar)... The winter's are harsh here so I will be just bunning the whole time:nono::perplexed:look:...

Ok, any-who, I am still in:yep:..

sareca

=======

ohhh,
Ok, I think I can still hang... I will be going into bunning for the winter... So, I can stay in it the duration... For some reason I though it was weeks... That what I get for being sleepy and still reading all the post:lachen:... No Problem,
I really like this no combing thing... I am still in then...
I hope there will be a bunning and low manipulation challenge for the winter (from Nov.-Mar)... The winter's are harsh here so I will be just bunning the whole time:nono::perplexed:look:...

Ok, any-who, I am still in:yep:..

:yay: I was about to :cry2: To keep going you might have to be inventive with work starting up and if you need to drop back down to 1 week that's ok too... just keep working at it. I really wasn't thinking it would be this easy. I thought folks (including myself) were going to need months of practice before mastering a whole 2 week period. You guys just took off! I'm so proud.

I'm not into protective styles, but I think my french braid is kinda cute. :look: I've been playing with the idea of switching to something w/ no manipulation for at least a few days a week. So if you need to bun for a few months go for it!

Last edited:

grnidmonster

I started doing this about 3 weeks ago because I wanted to get some extra growth for a thang I have in September. I am not really detangling just trying to control any potential matting. I did and indigo treatment yesterday and did not detangle:yep:. I wash with conditioner, put in a leave-in and bun. Work is a low ponytail or a bun. It has been super hot here so the wash, no detangle and leave-in has been great. I hope my hair likes it as much as I do.

I have a couple black tie events to attend this year but, other than those breaks I am down.:rolleyes:

sareca

I started doing this about 3 weeks ago because I wanted to get some extra growth for a thang I have in September. I am not really detangling just trying to control any potential matting. I did and indigo treatment yesterday and did not detangle:yep:. I wash with conditioner, put in a leave-in and bun. Work is a low ponytail or a bun. It has been super hot here so the wash, no detangle and leave-in has been great. I hope my hair likes it as much as I do.

I have a couple black tie events to attend this year but, other than those breaks I am down.:rolleyes:

Ooooh, love the avatar. I'll put you down for 2 weeks.

TonicaG

TonicaG
Ladies,

This is a great thread!!!! I am so in! I really believe I'll be able to commit to this and it would help me to achieve those two inches needed to be waist length.

This weekend I clarified, did a mild protein treatment w/ plastic cap under the dryer, rinsed out and didn't have to detangle, the comb glided right through!

I air dried and was too trifling and didn't want to do anything else to it. I applied some leave-in, Mizani Night Time Treatment and used Sylver2's air drying scarf method and my hair was too good to be true.

Less really is more.

Let's do it ladies!!! HTH

TonicaG

sareca

Ladies,

This is a great thread!!!! I am so in! I really believe I'll be able to commit to this and it would help me to achieve those two inches needed to be waist length.
This weekend I clarified, did a mild protein treatment w/ plastic cap under the dryer, rinsed out and didn't have to detangle, the comb glided right through!
I air dried and was too trifling and didn't want to do anything else to it. I applied some leave-in, Mizani Night Time Treatment and used Sylver2's air drying scarf method and my hair was too good to be true.
Less really is more.
Let's do it ladies!!! HTH

TonicaG

:yay: I got you down. It really is amazing how effective and simply this regimen is. I'm so excited! Make sure you give us regular updates. That goes for everybody. Make sure you share what's working and what's not. :yep: If your goal was one week and that was too long... dial it back to 5 days or 4. Repeat the doing 4 or 5 days until it's easy then try moving back to 7 days the next time around.

Last edited:

sareca

Ok, so I just finished an alma tea/alma oil rinse. I just applied the tea to dry hair, then applied the oil to that, put a baggie on it and sat under the dryer for an hour. When it was time to rinse it I decided to see how tangled my hair was. Under running water, I ran my fingers from root to ends once. My hand didn't meet any resistance at ALL! I haven't detangled for 6 days and I was able to run my fingers from root to ends effortlessly. If you're not using oil (on your wet hair) to help with detangling start today! Don't sleep on this one. :nono:

LadyZ

:yay: I was about to :cry2: To keep going you might have to be inventive with work starting up and if you need to drop back down to 1 week that's ok too... just keep working at it. I really wasn't thinking it would be this easy. I thought folks (including myself) were going to need months of practice before mastering a whole 2 week period. You guys just took off! I'm so proud.

I'm not into protective styles, but I think my french braid is kinda cute. :look: I've been playing with the idea of switching to something w/ no manipulation for at least a few days a week. So if you need to bun for a few months go for it!
===

Good, YEA... I will continue with low manipulation for the rest of the year...

sareca

Yay! I'm back around to d-day. Instead of detangling today, I'm keeping my french braid (rebraiding as necessary) until Friday. That will be day 10. Next time I'm going for the whole 2 weeks. I'll do week days in my wng and weekends in a french braid.

Last edited:

chellero

Wife Supremacist
Ok, so I just finished an alma tea/alma oil rinse. I just applied the tea to dry hair, then applied the oil to that, put a baggie on it and sat under the dryer for an hour. When it was time to rinse it I decided to see how tangled my hair was. Under running water, I ran my fingers from root to ends once. My hand didn't meet any resistance at ALL! I haven't detangled for 6 days and I was able to run my fingers from root to ends effortlessly. If you're not using oil (on your wet hair) to help with detangling start today! Don't sleep on this one. :nono:

I put coconut oil on my hair, slept in a plastic cap over night, and rinsed this morning, and my hair is tangle free even though I didn't use my comb. It's amazing.

sareca

I put coconut oil on my hair, slept in a plastic cap over night, and rinsed this morning, and my hair is tangle free even though I didn't use my comb. It's amazing.

I'm mad! :mad: Why didn't somebody tell us? That ain't right. :nono: :look:

Princess Pie

How much oil are you using? Are you saturating the hair with it? Does it matter what kind of oil?

I would like to join you guys, but I tried not combing after washing once... and the results were not good. I had matting, major tangles, and what looked like locs. I have to wash my hair at least once a week, so I'm hoping the oil will help.

sareca

How much oil are you using? Are you saturating the hair with it? Does it matter what kind of oil?

I would like to join you guys, but I tried not combing after washing once... and the results were not good. I had matting, major tangles, and what looked like locs. I have to wash my hair at least once a week, so I'm hoping the oil will help.

You gotta try the oil thing. :yep: I basically split my hair down the middle and apply as much as my palm will hold to EACH side (2 palms full total). The most important parts were NOT shampoo'g first and having your hair soaking wet when you apply the oil. Your hair won't be greasy or oily after rinsing the conditioner. It will feel oiled but not excessively.

I've used coconut (although it's probably my least favorite), olive, aphogee EFA, red palm, alma. I honestly believe any oil will work.

Last edited:

imstush

I acutally do this on the regular...only thing is I detangle once a week. But I am going to try the oil today when I cowash. Thanks for the tip. BTW Sereca your p/w for your fotki isn't working for me.:sad:

sareca

I acutally do this on the regular...only thing is I detangle once a week. But I am going to try the oil today when I cowash. Thanks for the tip. BTW Sereca your p/w for your fotki isn't working for me.:sad:

sareca isn't working?

Last edited: