Don't sleep on oil-rinses!

Good luck!

So I tried the oil-rinse and while I had my condy in I tried to detangle/
My hair tangled like crazy...it was sticking together...like it was glued?!?!
I didn't like it all.:nono:

Now before I dismiss oil-rinsing I have to say it might have been the fact that I used a protein treatment before hand(they always make my hair hard to handle) or the fact that I mixed regular canola Oil with my carrott oil so I will def. give this another try.

Also my hair is in a bun right now I'll see how it feels after it's completly try

So I tried the oil-rinse and while I had my condy in I tried to detangle/
My hair tangled like crazy...it was sticking together...like it was glued?!?!
I didn't like it all.:nono:

Now before I dismiss oil-rinsing I have to say it might have been the fact that I used a protein treatment before hand(they always make my hair hard to handle) or the fact that I mixed regular canola Oil with my carrott oil so I will def. give this another try.

Also my hair is in a bun right now I'll see how it feels after it's completly dry

Glued! :eek: Nastiness. See what it's like dry and if it's still :spinning: try a light poo afterwards.

I did another oil rinse yesterday and loved it even more than the 1st! The things that are key I think for me are after pooing I:
  • apply oil to soaking wet hair (no towel drying)
  • leave it on only a few moments
  • rinse out with hot water
It's like the oil seals in all the wonderful moisture from the shower and the hot rinse just marries the oil to my hair. :kiss2: Yesterday I dabbed a little castor oil on my ends and used Aceite 3 on the length of my hair for my rinse. This is revolutionizing my regimen. I used to seal my ends with grease while wet after washing. But using the oil rinse technique it's like not only my ends but my hair is already sealed. Pure heaven. :angel:

This made my hair so maneagable not the least bit greasy. I even rollerset yesterday after doing this and my hair lay so much better on the rollers. I was left with silky magical hair,. :fairy:

Oil rinses are so good, it HURTS!! :whipgirl:They ROCK. :rocker:

Did I mention how much I love oil rinses? :giggle:

Last edited:
I did another oil rinse yesterday and loved it even more than the 1st! The things that are key I think for me are after pooing I:
  • apply oil to soaking wet hair (no towel drying)
  • leave it on only a few moments
  • rinse out with hot water
It's like the oil seals in all the wonderful moisture from the shower and the hot rinse just marries the oil to my hair. :kiss2: Yesterday I dabbed a little castor oil on my ends and used Aceite 3 on the length of my hair for my rinse. This is revolutionizing my regimen. I used to seal my ends with grease while wet after washing. But using the oil rinse technique it's like not only my ends but my hair is already sealed. Pure heaven. :angel:

This made my hair so maneagable not the least bit greasy. I even rollerset yesterday after doing this and my hair lay so much better on the rollers. I was left with silky magical hair,. :fairy:

Oil rinses are so good, it HURTS!! :whipgirl:They ROCK. :rocker:

Did I mention how much I love oil rinses? :giggle:

So let me get this straight... are you saying you like oil rinses. :lachen::lachen::spinning:

If you like oil rinses you should try deep conditioning dry hair with heat. I just posted this one... http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=154073
It's my latest super amazing hair miracle.

Last edited:
So let me get this straight... are you saying you like oil rinses. :lachen::lachen::spinning:

If you like oil rinses you should try deep conditioning dry hair with heat. I just posted this one... http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=154073http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=154073

Yes ma'am! :yep: :lachen:

That's looks yummy, I'm going to revisit that whole deep conditioning on dry hair thing. I was actually having this little hair conversation in my mind and this is just another sign to go ahead and do it! :grin:

Glued! :eek: Nastiness. See what it's like dry and if it's still :spinning: try a light poo afterwards.
Well b/c my hair seemed longer then usually(even DH told me) I flatironed my nape area only and my hair went effortlessy straight and is incredibly shiny.
Usually my nape area is the roughest and I have to go over it multiple times but this time once was enough for BONESTRAIGHT results.
I'm blaming the oil-rinse:yep:
I flatironed my hair two weeks ago(12-13 weeks post then) and my hair was smack in between APL and SL and a good 2 inches away since I can't get my hair and NG straight-straight.
Now it looks like I'm very close to APL... even I'm surprised by that,somehow the oil-rinse made my flatironed hair suuuuper straight:drunk:
You can see pics of the before in my fotki,the oil-rinse flatiron out is in my siggy

You are such a
18.gif
for taking the time to type all of that info for us. :kiss:

Here's a big
1.gif
!

My pleasure Mestiza!

Okay ladies, I just went and bought some jojoba oil and rosemary oil for my wash in a couple days before i take out my braids. i think i'm going to sleep with the jojoba oil, add my plastic cap, then in the morning wash hair, and then add more jojoba oil. do you think that's too much oil?

I'm going to try this. I have been having a hard time w/tangles lately. This might be just what I need. Thanks!!! :grin:

My pleasure Mestiza!

Okay ladies, I just went and bought some jojoba oil and rosemary oil for my wash in a couple days before i take out my braids. i think i'm going to sleep with the jojoba oil, add my plastic cap, then in the morning wash hair, and then add more jojoba oil. do you think that's too much oil?

Since you're washing your hair and then applying more Jojoba Oil, I think that it should be fine.

Oil Rinse #4

I did this one differently. This is what I did:

1.)Rinsed hair w/ hot water

2.)Put EVOO on my hair

3.)Put conditioner on top of that and put my plastic cap on while I took a shower

4.)Rinsed and combed my hair under running water

Result: I don't like this method as much as rinsing the oil and then applying conditioner. I didn't lose many shed hairs, but I lose less doing it the other way. My hair is still very soft and shiny.

Last edited:
I pour that shampoo I am not using on the bathtub floor, rub it around with my feet and rinse it before I get out.
Great idea!! I am thinking of starting a thread about what to do with all my shampoo's that contain sodium lauryl sulfates in them... they are the :gotroasted: for my hair!!

i found that doing the oil rinse after i condition works better for me. Or either putting the oil on top of the conditioner.:grin::guiness::clap:

I did an Oil Rinse with EVOO last night and it came out fabulous! Before the oil rinse my hair was somewhat tangled. Once I rinsed out the oil rinse my hair felt so detangled. It felt as if I had put the best conditioner in and sat under the dryer. When I took out my rollers this morning my hair had slip and felt moisturized. I didn't even have to put oil in it--that's how moisturized it was. Then did a saran wrap treatment (wrap hair and sit under the dryer for 15 mins). Now my hair has a beautiful sheen and great movement! This oil rinse thing is a KEEPER! :grin::grin::grin:

Here's what I used:

1) Prepooed with garnier fructis + heat 20 mins under hooded dryer
2) Shampooed with nexxus therappe
3) Coated hair with EVOO + put on my hair turbin while I shaved
4) Rinsed with warm/hot water
5) Applied deep conditioner (Humectin) + heat 20 mins under hooded dryer 6) Rinsed with cold water
7) Applied leave-in (sebastian thick-in) + roller set
8) Saran wrap treatment

Haven't oil rinsed for 2 days (just sprayed w/ eqyss at night and in the morning). Hair still feels soft and supple. :yep:

i am sitting as i type this getting my hair cornrowed. i did the oil rinse today after i did the conditoning under the dryer on dry hair. my hair is very soft and is easy to detangle. i will definitely be adding this oil rinse to my regular routine!

I did a friends' hair on Friday. She is 6-8 weeks post w/ alot of newgrowth. Her hair is fine but she has ALOT of hair. I DC'd on dry hair, shampoo'd, did an oil rinse w/ Aphogee EFA and then use a rinse out conditioner. Blowdried, flat ironed, etc.

It turned out okay but the oil just really weighed her hair down. Since her hair is so fine, it cant take alot of oil/product or it will be heavy and lifeless. Normally it swings whenever she tilts her head... it still had some swing to it but it was just too heavy.

Did I do something wrong, or maybe oil rinses arent right for those with fine hair?

TIA... :)

I did a friends' hair on Friday. She is 6-8 weeks post w/ alot of newgrowth. Her hair is fine but she has ALOT of hair. I DC'd on dry hair, shampoo'd, did an oil rinse w/ Aphogee EFA and then use a rinse out conditioner. Blowdried, flat ironed, etc.

It turned out okay but the oil just really weighed her hair down. Since her hair is so fine, it cant take alot of oil/product or it will be heavy and lifeless. Normally it swings whenever she tilts her head... it still had some swing to it but it was just too heavy.

Did I do something wrong, or maybe oil rinses arent right for those with fine hair?

TIA... :)

EFA (which I love!) might be too heavy for fine hair. Half jojoba and half EFA would probably work better. Jojoba alone worked great, but my hair drank it up in about 10 hours. EFA makes my hair moist for days.

Last edited:
EFA (which I love!) might be too heavy for fine hair. Half jojoba and half EFA would probably work better. Jojoba alone worked great, but my hair drank it up in about 10 hours. EFA makes my hair moist for days.
I've never used it but it sounds like that Meadowfoam oil would be the trick for fine hair. But that stuff costs a good grip! :blush: I need to get a meadowfoam tree and get-ta stompin' on those seeds!!! LOL

I've never used it but it sounds like that Meadowfoam oil would be the trick for fine hair. But that stuff costs a good grip! :blush: I need to get a meadowfoam tree and get-ta stompin' on those seeds!!! LOL

Ok?!

I forgot about meadowfoam... that's always a winner. I use mine like it think it's platinum. :eek:

Long post: :look:

I tried this method tonight and I have to say the jury is still out on this one. This could be due to a number of reasons though. For the majority of the spring and summer seasons, I used Dominican shampoos, conditioners, and leave-in conditioners. Now that it is the fall season, I am transitioning back to Jason"s Natural Sea Kelp line and Kenra's Moisturizing line. Tonight, I used Jason's Natural Sea Kelp shampoo and conditioner for the first time in MONTHS. The shampoo had my hair feeling stripped and not all moisturized. :nono: I've used the line in the past with mostly good results. I'm not sure what was going on. Beforehand, I had already massaged some of the polysobate 80 into my scalp but that shouldn't have really made a difference. Now the oils I used were jojoba and coconut. I initially wanted to use only one oil (jojoba) but it didn't seem sufficient...I didn't measure. I added the coconut. Afterwards, I covered my hair with a plastic cap and left it on for at least 10 minutes (just realized that I wasn't really supposed to do the plastic cap thing :ohwell:). Rinsed with hot water and detangled with fingers. I normally don't detangle in the shower but that shampoo seemed to have my hair jacked up a little. Finger detangling even after the oil method wasn't an easy feat. :ohwell: I then applied the conditioner and normally I coat my hair with conditioner but this Jason's conditioner seemed so thin after using my rich Dominican conditioners. I *tried* my best to really coat the hair and combed it through with my shower comb...I could still feel a little of oil in it...anyway to get on with the story...my hair didn't feel as good as it normally does...I had more knots than usual and I had to cut them out. :wallbash: I'm going to try this again next week (*PRAYS* that my beloved Kenra won't let me down) and see what the results are at that time. I plan to use more oil (I'm not really going to make a special purchase for *meadowfoam seed oil* for my fine hair).

In short, I think it had more to do with the products I used than the oil procedure. I won't use a cap next time either. If Kenra lets me down:(, I might be using Dominican products exclusively not just on a seasonal basis...if that happens then there would be no point in the oil procedure since those products contain sufficient amounts of oil and keeps my hair moisturized and tangle free.

I tried this method tonight and I have to say the jury is still out on this one. This could be due to a number of reasons though. For the majority of the spring and summer seasons, I used Dominican shampoos, conditioners, and leave-in conditioners. Now that it is the fall season, I am transitioning back to Jason"s Natural Sea Kelp line and Kenra's Moisturizing line. Tonight, I used Jason's Natural Sea Kelp shampoo and conditioner for the first time in MONTHS. The shampoo had my hair feeling stripped and not all moisturized. :nono: I've used the line in the past with mostly good results. I'm not sure what was going on. Beforehand, I had already massaged some of the polysobate 80 into my scalp but that shouldn't have really made a difference. Now the oils I used were jojoba and coconut. I initially wanted to use only one oil (jojoba) but it didn't seem sufficient...I didn't measure. I added the coconut. Afterwards, I covered my hair with a plastic cap and left it on for at least 10 minutes (just realized that I wasn't really supposed to do the plastic cap thing :ohwell:). Rinsed with hot water and detangled with fingers. I normally don't detangle in the shower but that shampoo seemed to have my hair jacked up a little. Finger detangling even after the oil method wasn't an easy feat. :ohwell: I then applied the conditioner and normally I coat my hair with conditioner but this Jason's conditioner seemed so thin after using my rich Dominican conditioners. I *tried* my best to really coat the hair and combed it through with my shower comb...I could still feel a little of oil in it...anyway to get on with the story...my hair didn't feel as good as it normally does...I had more knots than usual and I had to cut them out. :wallbash: I'm going to try this again next week (*PRAYS* that my beloved Kenra won't let me down) and see what the results are at that time. I plan to use more oil (I'm not really going to make a special purchase for *meadowfoam seed oil* for my fine hair).

In short, I think it had more to do with the products I used than the oil procedure. I won't use a cap next time either. If Kenra lets me down:(, I might be using Dominican products exclusively not just on a seasonal basis...if that happens then there would be no point in the oil procedure since those products contain sufficient amounts of oil and keeps my hair moisturized and tangle free.

So sorry to hear about this!! Bringin the scissors to your head ain't good times. But maybe that oil combo wasnt for you, I think that there is a right oil out there for anyone interested in oil rinsing, although I must admit that I am being totally biased because it worked so well for me. But like you said, if it dont work out, stick to what works best for your mane.
God bless.

So sorry to hear about this!! Bringin the scissors to your head ain't good times. But maybe that oil combo wasnt for you, I think that there is a right oil out there for anyone interested in oil rinsing, although I must admit that I am being totally biased because it worked so well for me. But like you said, if it dont work out, stick to what works best for your mane.
God bless.

Aw thanks for your sympathy! I really do think it was the way the shampoo made my hair felt...just the feeling of it being stripped from moisture. I thought that the oil would make it a little better and it did...just not great/good. The conditioner didn't do much at all either. :nono: I'm just going to see what's up with Kenra (it's been a staple for so long but I also love Dominican products too so if it doesn't work :( I'll go back to using those). Kenra's shampoo/conditioner were so good for my hair, I might not need the oil after all-I'll see if it's still living up to it's name. The oils I used may have also played a part but right now I won't purchase any of the other oils listed just to see if it will work. :ohwell:

Umm how much oil are you supposed to use? Cause I did an oil rinse after I shampooed my hair last weekend and my hair was an oily mess. I ponytail rollerset and when I woke up and took the rollers out there was oil all on the rollers and my hair was sooooooo oily. I took my but to the stylist that second, I was too through with dealing with it...:nono:

Umm how much oil are you supposed to use? Cause I did an oil rinse after I shampooed my hair last weekend and my hair was an oily mess. I ponytail rollerset and when I woke up and took the rollers out there was oil all on the rollers and my hair was sooooooo oily. I took my but to the stylist that second, I was too through with dealing with it...:nono:

I use a lot, but it depends on the oil. Jojoba and red palm absorb pretty quickly.

:eek: Ahhh, don't do it again especially if it made your hair knot. Sounds like you just don't need it. :yep:

:eek: Ahhh, don't do it again especially if it made your hair knot. Sounds like you just don't need it. :yep:

I *might* give it one more try with better products...generally I don't have tangling issues unless I'm using a bad shampoo (Kenra Clarifying and now Jason Natural Sea Kelp). I have to admit I'm not impressed with using the jojoba and coconut oils. If I decide to buy meadowfoam seed oil in the distant future, I might just try it again at that time. I decided today that I might just continue using Dominican products...

Back