Does anyone else not want super long hair?

classoohfive

You're not 4b/z lol.

I agree with OP, although it's partially because I have discovered that I look much better with shoulder length hair. Either I will keep it at shoulder length in natural styles and straighten when I want length, or keep it straight and trim at shoulder length.

I don't find past WL attractive, so long is APL -WL to me. I don't think everyone wants floor length hair on here.

I discovered this about a year ago. I was looking at old pictures from when my hair had broken off the most. Breakage aside, the length looked good on me, especially for my face shape. Ever since then I wondered how awesome it would look if I cut it shorter, especially since it's much more healthier so the ends would look good and the hair would be thicker. But I made it this far so at this point I'm just seeing how far I can go before I get bored and cut it off. :look: I do have a SL wig that I could use when I want shorter hair but it's just so hard for me to wear it. I'm just too aware of it that it's hard for me to wear it with confidence.

shasha8685

I've figured out recently that I don't want to go beyond MBL. I've found that long straight hair is boring to be and that MBL w/ layers is my happy medium.

BrandNew

Loc'd up and loving it!
In the 'what do you think is overrated' thread in OT the other day I wanted to post long hair but figured I would get the side eye :lol:. I sooo don't wan't long hair any more. I realized this when my natural hair got to about shoulder length I just couldn't deal with it. Now I'm locking but I don't care for long loose hair.

keenyme

When my hair was shorter, I refused to go any longer than APL. Now it's pretty much MBL (even though I still claim BSL). My hair is way easier to take care of now, so I don't really fuss about the extra length, but I don't have a goal for a longer length.

SEMO

I agree with a lot of what's already been posted. When I started my hair journey, I thought bra-strap length would be more than enough hair for me. But once I saw that my hair could grow longer, I appreciated the extra length (and really missed it when a stylist over-cut me from WL back to BSL).

ManeStreet

speaking as a person with super long hair... taking care of long hair is not *that* difficult . hair growth is gradual and you slowly adjust your routine as your hair grows. you probably wont even realize that it is taking you longer to do certain things.

I agree. Im waist length and it doesnt feel like more work. Braidouts, washing, etc still takes the same effort & process as it did when I was apl.

nerdography

Initially, I wanted HL hair, and I'm WL now. But, I'm so bored with my hair and I want to cut it all off. I've been eying these styles for a while now...

I like them both, so I'm going to let the stylist decided which one works best for my face.

Last edited:

BostonMaria

I'm bored with my hair but that's because it has no shape. It's just long and I need something different. I'm definitely not cutting it short.

I might just dye it and maybe even throw some bangs for the heck of it. If I do cut it I'll go to MBL.

sent thru my iPhone

sckri23

I want super long hair so I can rock the beachy waves and all the other white girl styles.

Sckri23 from my SCH-I500 using LHCF

I feel exactly the same as you OP. Ever since I started my HJ 4 years ago, I've always maintained the goal of just wanting at least APL hair and then I would be happy. Right now I've finally just about made the short end of APL, but natural hair means shrinkage so I hardly ever get to see that length anyway. Now I think BSL would be kinda cool, but I'm not particularly interested in anything much longer than that. I can always just wear braid extensions and weaves that are BSL or longer, so that'd satisfy my very long hair tastes without too much long-term commitment :yep:

Fhrizzball

I agree. Im waist length and it doesnt feel like more work. Braidouts, washing, etc still takes the same effort & process as it did when I was apl.

Really but you have more hair to detangle so doesn't that make it harder?

I just want Sl unstretched hair myself. Right now it's too layered at the moment to claim as such. My flatiron hair poofs up to APL so almost BSL (give me that final inch please :lick:) feels short to me. Perhaps MBL will be my stopping point?

Qtee

My hair is BSL which at one time was my goal. Now I want it longer..but really only because BSL is still under SL with shrinkage....I really want BSL after shrinkage..which will be prob HL or TBL stretched..so to answer ur question..NO, I personally want super long hair..

~~HoneyComb~~

I was on the mission to grow my hair beyond WL, but I find that it's just not for me.

For one, no matter how long my hair gets, it has major shrinkage when I wear it natural (the length never shows), and I hardly ever wear it straight---I don't like it straight on me.

I was at WL straightened/stretched, but I recently cut it to BSB and I love it!!! It looks so much neater and it suits me well. It's right at my shoulders which, imo, is more becoming on me.

Since I cut it I have received so many compliments from strangers telling me how great me and my hair looks.

When my hair was longer, it had no style. It looks more stylish at this length, and an added benefit is that it's so much easier to wash and style.

Just11412

^^ i feel the same way. my hair no matter how long it gets that shrinkage is something else. i feel like the longer it gets the more it shrinks. lol.

and it has no shape at all either. i'm doing a personal challenge and if by next year june 2013 i don't reach my goal, i'm gonna either do a cut and color or definitely get it seriously shaped at some salon.

aa9746

When I first started I didn't think long hair was possible. I started trying different things & asking a lot of questions. People were helpful and I started seeing results. Wl was never my goal initially but as a reached a goal I'd try for another.

SmilingElephant

I am a Long Hair Advocate :armyhat:

I looooove long hair on me....but truth be told...i think i will stop at Hip length. Not because its too much work, but bc at just WL...it gets caught and snagged on everything and everywhere. I can't see me with Classic length. But u never know...me and my sister wondered if ppl with hair that long moved it out the way to fart...:rofl:...i know....but the convo was hilarious!!!:lachen:

The maintenance of long hair really isn't much. And as it gets longer...i know for me...i don't use any more product than i do for my shorter hair...i used up more stuff with my big chop!

Sent from my Teleportation Device

BFeathers

I'm always off on what constitutes what specific length. I've trimmed my sew in to perfection so now I know on my body I want all around APL hair.

Like I were headdress. Full APL all around. Pulled to the front, along the sides of my arms and to my back. None of that V hair with only the middle portion stretching to the goal length. No layers just full APL and I'd be golden forever.

I feel it's a good length for me to say "WOW! I have long hair" and feel like I do. And it's manageable for me. I can finally "do" my hair so that's about my doable limit and it wouldn't frustrate me and be too time consuming. I'm a roller setter and that's a good length for me to be able to do it.

I'd say for sure by this time next year I'll be fully there. My hair evens more than anything

And where I live and who I'm around...black women don't have unicorn hair. Honestly if it's longer than CBL it's almost always weave.

Neomorph

My ideal length is something between APL and BSL while stretched. Curly my ideal length would be CBL to SL.

Considering that I'm trying to go into the medical field, I know I won't have a lot of free time during shifts at the hospital during residency. The free time I do have, I don't want to be stuck spending doing my hair. My predominately 4a Hair is shoulder length stretched as of now and it takes me about 1 hour and 30 minutes to wash, condition, deep treat, detangle and style my hair. Basically my cutoff will be before it gets to two hours to do my wash day routine.

missyrayne19

Honestly for me I want to grow to full MBL (possibly waist even) just to prove to myself and others around me that I (and any other black woman who takes care of her hair) can grow however long she wants. I've had weave back in the day that was WL and while I think I looked extra fly, realistically speaking, full BSL would be much, much more manageable for me.

Gin&Tonic

I feel you OP. I have cut my hair to just below shoulder length. It looks so neat and sophisticated.

For me it's not about upkeep. I'm just tire if looking at women with so much hair. I think my cut makes me stand out .

Blairx0

At TBL lengeth my hair will likely hang at APL. As at near WL it looks like full SL. I think depending on shrinkage long hair is relative.