Does anyone else not want super long hair?

BraunSugar

I was going to say I agree with you, but your definition of long hair isn't mine. This site has ruined me. My ultimate goal (for the moment) is MBL and since I have seen so many women on here achieve WL and beyond, I've told myself that MBL isn't that long. It's kinda long. LOL. I'm ridiculous now. I'm APL and I feel bald :lol:

BEAUTYU2U

These threads are like clockwork. No shade, OP, but usually someone posts a similar thread every several months. I think it's because people get overwhelmed and "caught up" in the long hair world. It's fine. Some people just want healthy hair and there's nothing wrong with that. For me, once I was able to get my hair in a healthy state and back to its original length (before I BC'd) I started concentrating on growing my hair long. Goals change, so who knows ... yours might too.

karenjoe

Interesting....

when I experiment w color & cuts I mess up.:lol:
I like to experiment w wigs... short hair is more work to me.
allowing my hair to grow as long as it will grow is a plus.
it's worth the time spent. think about the money you save going to beauty salons, weaves, color, etc
some of you ladies (& me too) get crazy w spending & trying new hair products:yep:
but we still save money when we find out what work for our hair...:grin:

let it grow!

waffigrl

When I see people with waist length natural hair, all I can think of is the number of combs that are broken every week lol I think APL/BSL is the limit for me.

MariposaSexyGirl

BEAUTYU2U said:
These threads are like clockwork. No shade, OP, but usually someone posts a similar thread every several months. I think it's because people get overwhelmed and "caught up" in the long hair world. It's fine. Some people just want healthy hair and there's nothing wrong with that. For me, once I was able to get my hair in a healthy state and back to its original length (before I BC'd) I started concentrating on growing my hair long. Goals change, so who knows ... yours might too.

Yeah I usually see post like this from people where 90% have never been the length they think is long. I didn't think I wanted past waist until I got there and it felt short. Now I'm hip length and tad bit longer but my hair is just now finally starting to feel long to me. Hair anorexia is real folks :lol:.

regina07

Might sound strange, but as my hair gets longer (full MBL right now), it's easier because I don't have to worry about "styling" it. I can wear the waves from the bun I sleep in, if it's straight - or I can wash n' go and it will hang right. Either way, the longer it gets, the better it looks without having to do anything! Super-long hair is actually the lazy way out, IMO.

This!

Short hair was a pain and required more time, attention and product. I'm going for TB only to say I achieved it -- then I'll keep it trimmed to WL, mainly so when I wear WnG it'll hang to APL. if my hair is shorter, the shrinkage gives me a triangle 'do.:lol:

naturalmanenyc

I just do not feel like APL hair is long, especially since I'm natural and my APL hair shrinks about 50%. I think it's because I'm already at APL and trying to get to full BSL. I hit BSL when I was relaxed. DH has waist length hair, which everyone feels is super long, but it does not seem long to me. I think I have hair anorexia. lol lol lol When I hit full BSL as a natural, I *think* I will be happy.

Doing my BSL hair did not take any longer than doing my APL hair does now. I do not see hair being a little longer as much of a challenge.

NappyNelle

Kinky Coily 4A, Fine Strands, WSL
My shorter hair took much more time, effort and product. My hair is the longest it's ever been, but it doesn't feel long to me at all. Thankfully, I don't have to spend a lot of money or time to maintain my hair at below BSL/MBL. I'm aiming for WHIP, and I think my hair will feel 'long' by that point. :)

Good luck on your journey OP! I'm sure your hair will look ad feel great at APL. :yep:

Last edited:

30something

BSL is enough for me. Simple as that.
I think I admire BSL the most. I could probably care for waist length but I dont think I would ever want to get that long. Who knows

Last edited:

Ogoma

:yep: My ultimate goal is increased styling options so if it gets so long my styling options start showing diminishing returns, I will stop. Right now the goal is MBL, but it may be before then or after. Time will tell.

Because I don't wear my hair straight, I am thinking I need at least MBL to be able to do what I want to do with it. But I know I'm not going to do a lot with my hair so once it gets long enough to bun easily and to put into some twist that I can throw in an updo easily, I'm pretty much finished.

I just want hair that's easy to throw up and out of the way :look:.

SimJam

depends on what i mean by super long.... For me super long is anything below MBL.

The longest my hair has been is between apl and bsl (relaxed) and my ultimate goal for my natural hair is HIP length stretched (which unfortunately will be something like APL unstretched)

lovegymnasts

I've had short hair all my life. I'm ready to experience long hair.
For me there is no difference in caring for my hair when it was short and the length it is now.
Actually, it is easier because I have more experience and know what I am doing and what styles fit my face.
The only situation I can see myself having short hair is if I develop arthritis or a health problem. Even then, I would first look to my baby sisters and nephew to take care of my hair. I have already put them on notice.

snillohsss

I'm happy with bsl. I don't care for very long hair. I stopped my hair growth journey. I concentrate on thickness.

Stormy

Nope, not super long. APL is my goal which is long on me because I'm pretty short. I'm natural and have about 80% to 90% shrinkage. Really! I mean it's between neck and shoulder length now and after shampooing before I stretch it out, it looks like a TWA. Now, I can easily stretch it though by drying it in puffs or twists. Anyway, I figure I need APL to at least be able to put it into buns and other non-heat styles without putting a lot of stress and pull on my hair.

So, once I reach that I'll be just fine.

Aviah

I think I want waist length. But I'd definitely be good with MBL...
But that can change because I've only wanted more as it got longer lol.
Its different for everyone.

CurlsBazillion

I'm APL now and in my mind I might as well be NL, it feels that short. So I'm certain BSL won't feel long either. WL is my goal and I must be naive because I never thought longer hair meant super hard work. I already keep my hair stretched 90% of the time to avoid long detangling sessions and I don't do WNGs but maybe every now and again in the summer. I can't see me cutting WL hair because it needs more product or time.

Oasis

grabbing life by the pussy
nope. i have no desire to have super long hair.:nono: mine is about WL and that's too long for me. i think about cutting it every day.

CurlyMoo

nope. i have no desire to have super long hair.:nono: mine is about WL and that's too long for me. i think about cutting it every day.

iri9109

my hair is grazing BSB...i've had it straight for a week, so i've been able to see my length consistently, and i'm content with it. my high ponies touch my shoulders, my low ponies are apl, i can rock a middle part and it hangs right. As my hair gets longer it looks better and its easier to manage...even curly i dont have to worry about fussing with my hair everyday if i dont have time, i can just throw it in a bun and it still looks good. My ultimate goal is WL...i may get to MBL and be like nah, i cant handle more than this, or i may get to WL and have hairnorexia and want HL...but i would never want hair shorter than what i have now. If for some reason my hair stopped growing tommorrow, i would be sad, but I could live with my hair at this length.

koolkittychick

I have just about reached APL (relaxed) and I don't think my hair is long at all. I want to get to a length where it shows as long, whether it's in a nice full bun, a high pony that rests on my back or a nice thick French Roll. My hair still doesn't do that yet, even though it's the longest it's ever been and I am just now starting to enjoy the perks of being able to just throw it up and out of the way when I want to without a lot of effort or manipulation. I am just going to keep growing to see how far I can take it; since I'm relaxed and have learned how to care for my hair during long stretches I don't have a problem with that. Once I hit MBL (God willing!), I think I'll be happy with what I have. But that doesn't mean I won't keep going from there. Even if I keep it up 90% of the time, the idea of letting down a cascade of "princess hair" (not from weave) even occasionally is too tempting to resist. :grin:

But everyone has to do what's right for them, and my feelings might be different if I was still natural. I made it to APL as a natural, but I didn't know how to take care of my hair then, so I ran back to the creamy crack. Someday I'll make the transition again, but I want to at least make it to MBL first.

Good luck on your HHJ, OP; no matter what your hair length goals are, the fact that you're here learning about how to keep your hair healthy is the most important thing, and we all support you in that. :yep:

PinkPeony

Might sound strange, but as my hair gets longer (full MBL right now), it's easier because I don't have to worry about "styling" it. I can wear the waves from the bun I sleep in, if it's straight - or I can wash n' go and it will hang right. Either way, the longer it gets, the better it looks without having to do anything! Super-long hair is actually the lazy way out, IMO.

This is my experience aswell.
Once my hair reached Apl taking care of it was a breeze compared to SL and NL.
Bsb just snuck up on me it was completely effortless.

When I was SL and above I could not imagine having Bsl+ hair just bc my hair journey was still.so much trial and error and frankly shorter hair requires more frequent styling.

I think once you reach Apl you got your reggie figured out and are on autopilot which takes away alot of stress, it did for me

Dove56

I'm on the fence.

I've been WL..dern near TLB length and I cut my hair to BSL 5 years ago because it was so much to handle. If I would've had keratin treatments then or even keratin styling creams I would've been able to manage it better (My hair is fine/medium but extremely thick). It was easy to manage curly, but I wanted to wear it straight and I couldn't without it curling up.

Now, I'm in between SL and BSL and I hate this horrid cut (top layers are waaaayyy too short) and I never want short (SL or shorter) hair but I'm not sure I want it WL maybe MBL. Anyhoo, I'm back to washing, conditioning, protective styling, growing out my keratin treatments back to my 3c hair, and giving my hair a break. Oh, and I'm going back to my old stylist in my home state because he's the only person that doesn't over cut my hair!

I'm aiming for MBL now, we shall see, long hair is so versatile that's why I love it.:yep:

Last edited:

Aireen

When I was MBL-WL, I didn't appreciate it at all. I always wanted my hair longer or shorter. I think now that I actually cut my hair, I prefer it long and I mean super long. Yes, it was more prone to tangles and would take longer to detangle but unless I was extremely careless, the longer time span wasn't noticeable. I think unless you have long hair, you can't really say what you would want down the road, your mind can change. I get it though, when I had longer hair, the majority of the time I wanted to cut it. I think after you get there and possibly experiment and spend time handling your hair, you'll be able to be sure of what you want.

Last edited:

BonBon

speaking as a person with super long hair... taking care of long hair is not *that* difficult . hair growth is gradual and you slowly adjust your routine as your hair grows. you probably wont even realize that it is taking you longer to do certain things.

You're not 4b/z lol.

I agree with OP, although it's partially because I have discovered that I look much better with shoulder length hair. Either I will keep it at shoulder length in natural styles and straighten when I want length, or keep it straight and trim at shoulder length.

I don't find past WL attractive, so long is APL -WL to me. I don't think everyone wants floor length hair on here.

yorkpatties

I've never had long hair, so I can't say I wouldn't like super long hair. I have always imagined longer hair would be easier to work with, my friend with mid back hair puts her hair in a few twists to do a twist out, I have to put my super short hair in like 25 to do one. Doing something as simple as a big easy bun would make me happy.

FoxxyLocs

I don't mind very long hair because of my shrinkage. At WL my twists shrink to SL and my mini braids are APL. I plan to just stick with my regimen and see where I end up. I don't think I would cut my hair to a shorter length unless it grew past TBL. I'm pretty far from that now so I'm not worried about my hair getting too long.