chagrin valley soap bars

dragongirlmk09

okay i just recently bought a couple of soaps and shampoo bars from the website and i most likely will be buying more :rolleyes: so i am interested in how do you use these soaps, shampoos,and butter bath melts like do you deep condition, pre-poo, how do you use them would like to know what
regimen you use these with.

soaps
chocolate almond
avocado oat's & shea
shea rose clay

shampoo bars
nettle
carrot milk & honey
honey beey & eggs
olive babassu
coconut mik
honey butter
babassu & marsh mallow

butter bath melts

Poranges

Positive Vibrations
I've Used The Shea Rose Clay...Only on my body. It was okay. I use the Honey Butter Soap on hair and body. Hair as a con. I use the nettle and coconut milk Shampoo bars currently. Divide my hair into four sections. Rub on hands then on hair. For the Butter bath melts I just throw one or two in the tub every time I bathe. Leaves my skin sooooft. HTH.

Menina Preta

Do you have to do the ACV rinse after each time you use the shampoo bar? Or only after the first 5-6 uses?

Bun Mistress

just got some myself, used the olive babassu in my last wash. it was great. a just rub it on my hair a little and washed out. my hair wasn't hard or dried out. I used b/c I have been having a lot of left over henna/powder after a regular rinse. So I did pre poo with oil then power rinse for 10 minutes, shampoo bar, rinsing conditioner, AO GPB con for 20 minute w/heat, AO HSR for 3 minutes, then combing con. (I was due for e d/c wash). My hair turned out great. KP

Menina Preta

just got some myself, used the olive babassu in my last wash. it was great. a just rub it on my hair a little and washed out. my hair wasn't hard or dried out. I used b/c I have been having a lot of left over henna/powder after a regular rinse. So I did pre poo with oil then power rinse for 10 minutes, shampoo bar, rinsing conditioner, AO GPB con for 20 minute w/heat, AO HSR for 3 minutes, then combing con. (I was due for e d/c wash). My hair turned out great. KP

Thanks for the review, girl. I'm real tempted to buy these bars (been looking at them on and off for about a year), but doing an ACV rinse turns me off, b/c it's another additional step in the reggie. However, based on your rvw, you don't do the rinse...Are there any other users who don't ACV after using this bar?

Seraphina

Thanks for the review, girl. I'm real tempted to buy these bars (been looking at them on and off for about a year), but doing an ACV rinse turns me off, b/c it's another additional step in the reggie. However, based on your rvw, you don't do the rinse...Are there any other users who don't ACV after using this bar?

I don't. I've been meaning to try but I just get lazy.

natstar

Iuse the carrotmilk and honey shampoo bar. I rub the bar on my hands and then scrub my scalp with my hands. Most of the time I don't follow up with ACV. I do a ACV rinse maybe 1-2 x a month. My hair is soft and feels moisturized without being stripped or tangled. Some ppl don't like the waxy feeling it may leave but I don't mind and when my hair dries it doesn't feel like it has build up. I like it.

Esi

I have not done an ACV rinse in either of the two washes I have done with my Babassu and Marsh Mallow bar.

Have you noticed that your hair feels harder after using them?

The first time my hair wasn't hard but the second time I got a little out of hand with the amount of shampoo I was using and my hair was kinda hard.

dragongirlmk09

yesterday i washed my hair with coconut milk shampoo bar then i washed that out. i rinsed with apple cider vinegar rinse then i deep condition with olive babassu. when my hair was damp i applied almond glaze to my ends this morning when i got up hair was mosturized and my ends were not frizzy so i am so happy :grin: i love chagrin valley soap bars.

Seraphina

Have you noticed that your hair feels harder after using them?

After using the Cafe Moreno bar it feels a little stiff...kinda dry. But I use do a deep condition after that one. When I use the coconut milk bar it doesn't feel hard.

Also, try using the some of the soap bars in your hair. The soap bars are "superfatted" meaning they have more oils than the shampoo bars.

dragongirlmk09

After using the Cafe Moreno bar it feels a little stiff...kinda dry. But I use do a deep condition after that one. When I use the coconut milk bar it doesn't feel hard.

Also, try using the some of the soap bars in your hair. The soap bars are "superfatted" meaning they have more oils than the shampoo bars.

what soap bars would you recommend to use?

Seraphina

I like all of her soaps, but these are the ones that could be appropriat to use in your hair. Steer clear of the abrasive soaps...the ones whose use is exfoliation. Those wil get cornmeal, oatmeal and other stuff stuck in your hair. Good luck!!

Aloe, Aloe, Aloe! Soap
Carrot & Honey Complexion Soap
Chocolate Almond Soap
Chocolate Orange Twist Soap
Dead Sea Spa Soap
Herbal Mist Soap
Honey Butter Soap---->this is divine
Marshmallow & Lemongrass Soap

myronnie

Hey :wave:

I've used Chagrin Valley poo bars on and off since 2007. When I was relaxed I really liked the Avocado and Shea and Chocolate Almond. As a natural I still love the Chocolate Almond.
Most of the bars at Chagrin Valley left my hair feeling quite stripped and waxy. I really love Bobeam Shampoo Bars MUCH better because they have a lot more slip and do not strip my hair. My favorite Bobeam Shampoo Bar is the Honey/Oats and a close second is the Cheris Hibiscus.

However, after reading this article on Naturallycurly, I don't think that shampoo bars should be used on hair because they lead to the disintegration of the outer layer of the hair strand leading to damage and more porous hair. Here is an excerpt:

"Another very important ingredient to avoid for long, curly hair especially is soaps. In the past, I have written an article cautioning users of soap to be careful, but basically concluding that it was probably okay to use soaps with an acidic rinse and lots of moisturizing agents. Based on the following information obtained from the research of Dr. Ali Syed (a hair care researcher who specializes in African and curly hair), I cannot in good conscience advocate use of any soap products on curly hair.

Soap molecules are salts of fatty acids found in plants and animal fats. They are somewhat alkaline and cause the hair to swell and the cuticle to raise up away from the surface of the hair shaft. These molecules are then able to penetrate through the cuticle and into the CMC where they neutralize the fatty acids in the lipid layer, rendering them water soluble. The fatty acids are then rinsed away in the shower and are gone forever. Use of soap to cleanse one’s hair, especially long curly hair, seems to be a really effective way of permanently destroying the cuticle layer and making the hair very highly porous. This is an example of why natural may not always be superior. It is no surprise that researchers have invested years and many millions (billions) of dollars to develop more gentle cleansers for our hair."

http://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/curl-products/curlchemist-porosity-and-curly-hair?page=4

At first I was all for shampoo bars because you can go back to normal pH by use of an acidic rinse, but after reading this and thinking for myself, I really don't think that soap should be used to cleanse at all. But that's just my opinion.

Jadi

I have the coconut? cond bar, beer and honey, one of the henna bar and the herb garden. So far I only used the henna and herb one. I am liking the herb bar the most. I would suggest getting some samples. The herb garden seems to be popular so are the coconut bar and ayurvedic. I also have some of their face/body soaps.

MileHighDiva

A+ Hair Care Queen
So myronnie, does this mean the Bobeam cocoa rhassoul bar I ordered from Curlmart will ruin my CMC.? Do you only co-wash? What do you cleanse your hair/scalp with currently?

myronnie

MileHighDiva

After doing my own research I have to conclude that soaps are not the best option to use to clean hair and that they may lead over time to damage.
A soap consists of saponified oils that have the general chemical formula RCOO- Na+. When dissolved in water, the Na+ dissociates from the RCOO- and functions as an anionic detergent. The ability of the detergent to strip away the internal lipids of the hair depends on the structure of the anionic detergent produced from the saponified oil.

"The ability of anionic surfactants to remove hair lipid is dependent on surfactant structure, concentration, agitation, temperature, time, and other variables including other soils on the hair."

"Shampoos can also slowly dissolve or remove structural lipids and proteinaceous material from hair."

Furthermore, prepooing with a conditioner that contains cationic surfactants such as BTMS or centrimonium chloride will promote the entrance of the anionic soap detergent and in essence the damage of the hair.

"We concluded that formation of the cationic-anionic complex inside the cuticle is necessary to produce this effect. If the cell membrane complex is damaged (e.g.,by permanent waving),then penetration is enhanced. Adsorption of the cationic species occurs inside the cell membrane complex and the endocuticle. On washing with the anionic surfactant, penetration occurs, and an insoluble cationic-anionic complex deposits inside the cell membranecomplex. After a sufficient amount of this insoluble complex deposits, it creates a hydrophobic layer and scale lifting can occur. Scale lifting is caused by differential adsorption and release of water by the differences in the moisture binding levels of the different layers of the cuticle cell."

SOURCE: Chemical and Physical Behavior of Human Hair by Clarence R. Robbins, 4th ed

Also, the use of soaps with hard water can lead to build-up problems and breakage.

"Originally, bar soaps were used to clean both the hair and the body. Most bar soaps possessed an alkaline pH, which swelled the hair shaft leaving it unattractive and unmanageable."

"Traditional bar soaps are not recommended for hair cleansing because they leave behind a soap scum when mixed with hard water that is difficult to rinse from the hair and scalp. This may be one of the aggravating factors for seborrheic dermatitis."

SOURCE: http://link.springer.com/content/pdf/10.1007%2F978-3-540-46911-7_25.pdf

TLDR:

Soaps contain anionic detergents that thoroughly clean the hair but may lead to the degradation of the hair's structure. This degradation is furthered by prepooing with conditioners that contain cationic surfactants (list here: http://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/curl-products/ingredients-commonly-used-in-hair-care-products-cationic-surfactants). Prepooing with oils may lessen the degradation of the hair by the soap detergents. Using a soap/shampoo bar with hard water will eventually lead to build-up on the hair and may lead to breakage.

myronnie

MileHighDiva

I've found that using gentle sodium dodecyl sulfate (SDS), sodium lauryl sulfate (SLS), and ammonium lauryl sulfate (ALS) free shampoos have been the best cleansing and health wise. I use Elucence Moisture Benefits Shampoo and Claudie's Jojoba Cleansing Conditioner (contains a mild detergent -- cocomidopropyl betaine). In the past, I've used Creme of Nature Green Formula (very old) and Ayurvedic herbs (shikakai, aritha). I really liked using ayurvedic herbs but it became a hassle when I got older and had to go to work/school.

I hope I haven't confused you!! In the end always do what works for you best :yep:.

southerncitygirl

i like cv bars for body.....the idea of shampoo bars never appealed to me for many reasons.
my fave bars to date include honey butter, honey beer, aloe-aloe-aloe, winter survival, and a few others i can't think of at the moment. i noticed yrs ago that using sulfate free poos & products with no mineral oil or petroleum work best for my hair in keeping it healthy along with dusting, protein treatments, washing in sections, lco method,and low/no manipulation.