Amla powder- is this a dye or what?

Fine 4s

Ladies, help me out. Here is the description on the box:

English Name: Indian Goose Berry, Emblic Myrobalan
Hindu Name: Amla
Sanskrit Name: Amalakai
Botanical Name: Emblica officinalis, Phyllanthus emblica, Euphorbiaceae.

Hesh Amla Powder is a natural astringent and skin toner that works on both hair and skin. In Botanical term it is known as Emblic Myrobalan. The paste of this powder helps promote luxuriant hair. Even as it controls hair loss. It stimulates hair roots and promote hair growth. This apart, it prevents scalp infection and controls premature graying of hair.

Soak Amla powder with adequate amount of hot water preferably in an iron vessel. Leave it overnight, and wash your hair in the morning with this extract. Repeat this every 3rd or 4th day. Alternatively prepare a consistent paste with Henna powder or Indigo Powder and apply it on the hair. Leave the paste on for hour allowing the nutrients to absorb and rinse the hair properly afterwards.

Regular usage of Amla powder gives nourishment to the hair. It may also remove mild dandruff from hair scalp while giving body to the hair.

Doesn't the bolded give a hint that this product might have some hair dying properties like henna? How does it control going gray?
I have never dyed my hair nor am I remotely interested in dying my hair. I used the Amla oil once and the Amla powder once but I'm afraid to use it again until I get a better sense of what this product REALLY is about.

Thoughts?

Cleve_gryl

Its not a dye, but with frequent use it will darken your hair color some. Just like amla oil will darken you up with frequent use.

metro_qt

No. It's not a dye.
I use it everyday, or every second day.

My hair is already 1b in color, and is staying that way.
I've been using it for a month, and my color hasn't changed to jet black or anything.

I supposed it may get darker over time, but, i have no color change to report as of yet.

phyl73

I don't think of it as dye in the same thought as I would a dye premixed sold at the store. It did darken my hair, but nothing drastic. I guess if I continue to use it, in time it may darken even more.

Fine 4s

but it does stain the bathtub so it has some type of dyeing properties in it.

Thank you for your thoughts ladies.

I'm with Lisana on this one. It's primary use may not be as someone mentioned a dye like you buy in the store, nevertheless the possible side affect of changing the color of one's hair (and bathtub :), not interested.

Ima have to check with some chemists!

honeybadgirl

it darkened my hair some. i looked at my old avatar and the new one i put up and i see how dark my hair is now:grin: . i like it though!!