Amla Powder or Oil Users--- Look Here

BlkMane

I FINALLY picked up some Amla powder from the Indian store. BTW---the guy in the store told me that Amla is called "gooseberry" in America.

The box says to mix it with an oil to make a paste and then to apply it to the hair and scalp and to leave on for an hour before washing.

Does anyone have any other "recipes" for Amla powder? Can I add it to an oil and use it as a leave-in or does it HAVE to be rinsed out?

Has anyone been using Amla for a long time? If so, any positive results?

Thanks.

H

HoneyRockette

You must have the same brand as I do. I have Hesh in the green box. I used amla for about three weeks. I used it in Mahailialee's Peko Pack recipe. I mixed it with Nori and Coconut Oil. I also saw a recipe where you have to mix it with lime oil. I would rinse it out if I were you. This stuff cakes up and then becomes really difficult to remove. You can't even use it with heat because it bakes this stuff into your hair, (er, not that I tried to use it with heat /images/graemlins/grin.gif) It strengthened my hair a lot but the results didn't last for more than a few days.

Elyse

<font color="blue">Blkmane,

Amla oil and amla powder is derived from the Indian Gooseberry. This is not the same thing as other varieties of gooseberry. The indian gooseberry has the highest concentration of vitamin c of any fruit on earth. I've been using Amla oil for a while and I like it. </font color>

Mestiza

BlkMane said:
I FINALLY picked up some Amla powder from the Indian store. BTW---the guy in the store told me that Amla is called "gooseberry" in America.

The box says to mix it with an oil to make a paste and then to apply it to the hair and scalp and to leave on for an hour before washing.

Does anyone have any other "recipes" for Amla powder? Can I add it to an oil and use it as a leave-in or does it HAVE to be rinsed out?

Thanks.

That is exactly what I've been pondering! Anybody?

MissYocairis

BlkMane said:

Thanks.

I use both the light and dark Amla oils in a mixture with Jojoba for an overnight pre-poo treatment. My hair is very dry and brittle on the ends from highlighting and relaxers. I can always count on shedding and breakage to some degree with every wash. But, once I started using the Amla/jojoba mixture pre-poos at least twice a week, I found that my hair is inherently stronger. I can wash, condition, comb through styling products and style and end up with only one or two hairs in the comb. (okay, maybe 3 - but it's a huge difference over the 15-20 I used to get). I like the Amla oil and I find that working with Dabur's original (the dark) and "lite" amla oils together has worked beautifully. Also love the pure jojoba oil with them together. I don't use Amla oil for moisturizing in between washes other than the pre-poos though because it's too oily unless I am wearing a bun. :p

Lovelylocs

I have the amla oil that is already mixed. It is okay I guess, but definately stinks! I dont think that I leave it in as long as I should though. Would u guys say that the mix that u put together yourselves is better since there is no mineral oil in it?

mrslee

Love yourself first!
I am still using the Amla and Vatika oils. I mix the amla with castor oil for my pre-poo treatment. I use the Vatika oils daily on my ends and throughtout my hair and scalp. I love it! I am still taking the HF37 vitamins. The combination between the two I am losing less hair and my hair is much thicker. I love it!

Ashee

Amla is the indian gooseberries...

That's why I was having such a hard time finding 'Amla' but no trouble finding 'Gooseberries' :hammer: :lol:

Amla
"Indian Gooseberry"
Amla is the name given to the fruit of a small leafy tree (Amlica Embillicus) which grows throughout India and bears an edible fruit. This fruit is highly prized both for its high vitamin C content and for the precious oil which is extracted from its seeds and pulp and used as a treatment for hair and scalp problems.

During colonial times the British referred to the amla fruit as the "Indian Gooseberry". It is edible, very tart and rich in pectin. Because of this, it is commonly used to make jams, jellys, chutneys and other condiments.

Another common use of this fruit is in medicines and tonics since it is extremely rich in vitamin C. In fact, it is documented that the amla fruit, on a per pound basis, is the world's richest source of vitamin C.

"Amla oil" is prepared from dried amla berries which have been soaked in coconut oil for several days in order to extract the oil soluble vitamins from the fruit. The filtered and purified oil is commonly called "amla oil". This oil has a long history of use as an aid for improving the health of hair and scalp. In fact, it is one of the world's oldest, natural hair conditioners. Customarily, a small amount of amla oil is applied to the hair after washing. This not only brings forth a rich, natural shine and soft texture, but also helps rejuvenate hair that is dull and damaged.

Amla Oil is used for no other purpose than treating hair. It is a natural hair conditioner with a long history of use.

I love the oil!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

angellazette

Lovelylocs said:
I have the amla oil that is already mixed. It is okay I guess, but definately stinks! I dont think that I leave it in as long as I should though. Would u guys say that the mix that u put together yourselves is better since there is no mineral oil in it?

This is what I want to know but I'm also thinking that since it's used as a prepoo and washed out within hours that the mineral oil won't be a big issue. :confused:

january noir

Sunny On a Cloudy Day
Amla Powder
Amla powder can be mixed as a paste (warm or hot tap water alone is just fine) and applied to the hair. You must wrap your hair with plastic wrap and you can cover with a towel to keep in warmth. If you do this, you should not have any trouble rinsing it out from the hair. It should not be left on the hair and dried. For those who do this, that is probably why it is hard to rinse out. :)

You can also "brew" it as a rinse (Sareca, a member of LHCF) does this, but I don't know her recipe.

Here is an Amla thread that that you may read if you have not already. http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=97845&highlight=Amla

Amla Oil
The most popular brand (available in most Indian stores and grocers) is the Dabur brand. They make the regular and lite version which do contain mineral oil. The regular version is "smelly" to some, but with mineral oil and all, is still highly effective. The lite version has a more perfumey smell and is not as dark in color. BOTH are excellent. You can purchase the Ayurvedic brands of Amla oil that are made with sesame oil. These can be scented or unscented and can be purchased from the internet. Some sites I know of are From Nature with Love and Natural Hair Loss Remedies.
http://www.fromnaturewithlove.com/product.asp?product_id=ayuroilamla&affiliate=32964

http://www.naturalhairlossremedy.com/amla-oil.html

carameldiva

I have the powder and i may the tea. I simply add one cup of hot water per tbls of powder. I love it.

I used the oil in the past with good results.

Mahalialee4

I make my own amla oil by infusing the powder into warmed pure coconut oil from the islands. I strain it into a glass ja, let cool and use it as a sealant leave in from wash to wash. I wash my hair out now only with Ghanian Black soap. I use one tablespoon of amla powder to 1 cup of oil. bonjour

frizzy

This may be helpful.

I initially mixed 1 box each of all the ayur. powders I purchased, shook it up, and made a paste with water using a few tablespoons of powder. I really didn't like the "henna feeling" coating/dryness left afterwards, so what I did with the rest of the paste was mixed it with some "just ok" conditioner. This way I can use the powders and can massage the mixture into my scalp. Works great!

I also use my homemade amla/shikakai oil about twice per week before washing and starting over again, or alternate 1 and 1 with my coconut oil, rosemary, peppermint, msm, ACV mixture. My scalp feels divine!
So many products, so little time.:wallbash:

Last edited:

metro_qt

This may be helpful.

I initially mixed 1 box each of all the ayur. powders I purchased, shook it up, and made a paste with water using a few tablespoons of powder. I really didn't like the "henna feeling" coating/dryness left afterwards, so what I did with the rest of the paste was mixed it with some "just ok" conditioner. This way I can use the powders and can massage the mixture into my scalp. Works great!!
So many products, so little time.:wallbash:

OK,
so, you just dumped your powders into a bottle of conditioner? Did the powder still work the same? Was the conditioner still conditioning?
I'm thinking of trying this tonight...

Candy_C

thesse powders really shouldnt make your hair dry

use alot of oil before "washing"

and rinse powders out very well :grin:

and the oil n powder mix sounds nice, i would heat up coconut oil and add it to the powders if the hair is intensely damaged x

LadyPaniolo

I have a bottle of Amla oil that's 95% full... DH gags at the smell and it's no treat for me either. Don't want to throw it out but I'll NEVER use something that stinks so bad.

biancaelyse

<font color="blue">Blkmane,

Amla oil and amla powder is derived from the Indian Gooseberry. This is not the same thing as other varieties of gooseberry. The indian gooseberry has the highest concentration of vitamin c of any fruit on earth. I've been using Amla oil for a while and I like it. </font color>

Hee hee - I'm quoting myself - Elyse is my old screen name LOL.

I have a bottle of Amla oil that's 95% full... DH gags at the smell and it's no treat for me either. Don't want to throw it out but I'll NEVER use something that stinks so bad.

I have a bottle of the Dabur Amla Oil and I don't like the smell either. I use it to pre poo and it works really well like that. I put it in a spray bottle and it's very easy to apply this way.

I pre poo oil my hair, mix my Amla powder with Rosewater, aloe vera gel or aloe vera juice and some molasses.

Oiling before makes it work really well and my hair is so soft afterwards.

biancaelyse

^^^ I have loads of molasses, I think I will get some amla powder, mix it with the molasses and see how it goes.

Please make sure that you add enough liquid (water, tea, rosewater plus your molasses) to the powder - about 8 oz per 100 g of Amla.

biancaelyse

Thank You so much Bianca, I was hoping you would respond to my post and you did :grin:

Awww - your're welcome sweetie :grin:!!

I also find that oiling the hair and scalp 1st helps it rinse out later and not have dry hair.

I wrap my hair in plastic after applying or I go under my steamer.

If I go the plastic route, I leave it in overnight and co wash it out in the morning.

HTH

baddison

natural for good
I use Dabur Amla oil to pre-poo for about an hour before my wash. It really helps keep the hair soft and maintains the thickness & darkness of my hair. Its a keeper for me - mineral oil and all!!

Jewell

I've been using Amla Oil for about 2 years now. At first the smell was something strong to behold, but now I am used to it. It's "herbally." Sometimes it makes me a little nauseated, but I deal with it b/c of how well it treats my hair. I have added Amla Oil as one of the oil bases in my homemade MTG mix, and I also apply it directly to my hair straight from the bottle. Haven't tried it as a pre-poo yet...I usually apply to dry hair (wonderous feeling of soft, shiny hair), or to damp hair to seal in leave-ins. Definitely a keeper for me. I will have to get the powder soon, as the only Ayurvedic powder I have is Brahmi. (<--good too)

Addy3010

I also have the Dabur in the bottle...the smell is something you have to get used to...it makes me think of old people like some kind of nasty musky cologne...anyway my hair is always super dupppppppper soft after i use it.