Am I being cheap?

ShiShiPooPoo

I am currently wearing my hair cornrowed during the summer and will relax at the end of July. My cornrows are the most basic ones you can imagine. Straight "prison rows" or think Cleo from Set It Off or better yet, when Tyra does hers. I got it done a week ago and thought that I could go two weeks but they are starting to look BAD. The lady charged me 45 dollars which I thought was a little steap but she washed it and cond. also. Anyway, I had my husband stop at this place down the street and the lady said 65!? :eek: I literally have 7 cornrows on my head and it is short (to my nape).

What is a good price for this? I was thinking no more than 30 dollars. Am I being cheap?

LadyPaniolo

I hear you! I'm broke, too! I can't mess with the salon or the braid shops anymore. Not only are the prices high but they are often rough with your hair.

It's far cheaper to find a college student to braid your hair. $30 for 7 short cornrows sounds fair to me, and you know college students are often broke.

ShiShiPooPoo

joyousnerd said:
I hear you! I'm broke, too! I can't mess with the salon or the braid shops anymore. Not only are the prices high but they are often rough with your hair.

It's far cheaper to find a college student to braid your hair. $30 for 7 short cornrows sounds fair to me, and you know college students are often broke.

:lol: Broke like a joke! Even if I wasn't (which is never), I STILL wouldn't pay 65. :lol: And yes, they tend to be a little rough. That's a good idea to ask some college folks.

kyla

joyousnerd said:

Hi Joyousnerd,

I never thought of getting a college student to do my cornrows. Thats a great idea.

SignatureBeauty

Yeah you can always find the College student or that High School girl that braid everyones hair, I have a 15 yr. old neighbor who can brais her a** off and for cornrows I pay her $25 for basic "Prison Rows" $65 for just basic cornrows is a little high maybe they do them really small. Dunno!

ShiShiPooPoo

Mine are big. I showed her mine on purpose so she can see how I wanted it. Then she tried to hand me her card...I simply said, "I don't need one. Thanks anyway". There was not one person in there.

deejoy

Naw that aint cheap. Chile I know people that'll do it for $20. I probably would have laughed at Miss Lady.

MommaMayhann

ShiShiPooPoo said:
I am currently wearing my hair cornrowed during the summer and will relax at the end of July. My cornrows are the most basic ones you can imagine. Straight "prison rows" or think Cleo from Set It Off or better yet, when Tyra does hers. I got it done a week ago and thought that I could go two weeks but they are starting to look BAD. The lady charged me 45 dollars which I thought was a little steap but she washed it and cond. also. Anyway, I had my husband stop at this place down the street and the lady said 65!? :eek: I literally have 7 cornrows on my head and it is short (to my nape).

What is a good price for this? I was thinking no more than 30 dollars. Am I being cheap?

:eek::eek::eek:
That's just redonkulous!!! I don't know what it's like in ATL but here in Philly most barber shops and hair dressers have a young girl that hangs around to do cornrows. If not they can definitely point you to "Nay-Nay" down the block. I would ask some of the teens on my block or a little cousin if they new someone.

ShiShiPooPoo

MommaMayhann said:
:eek::eek::eek:
That's just redonkulous!!! I don't know what it's like in ATL but here in Philly most barber shops and hair dressers have a young girl that hangs around to do cornrows. If not they can definitely point you to "Nay-Nay" down the block. I would ask some of the teens on my block or a little cousin if they new someone.

My husband suggested I go in the barber shop and then I just brushed him off like "What do you know"? :ohwell: I said I was gonna ask one of these brothers next time I see one.

The Girl

deejoy said:
Naw that aint cheap. Chile I know people that'll do it for $20. I probably would have laughed at Miss Lady.
Exactly that is what I was thinking...I am a cheap skate too. Heck that is thank God what helped me learn to do my own hair, that and I was fickle.