3.5 inches of breakage a year?

Hard water and previous damage are what cased my breakage early on. My hair was so gone that it continued to break the entire first year. It was less breakage than preLHCF but breakage all the same.

At this point, all of the hair I had when I found LHcF is gone. I had to grow an entirely new (well cared for) head of hair. I think it was just too damaged to repair.

The other thing that caused a lot of my damage was hard water. If you have hard water no conditioner will work. It won't be able to get through all the minerals caked on the strands. If you think that might be culpit, buy some test strips from a pet department or pick up some bottled water. My hair likes bottled drinking water best (ozarka, dasani, aquafina, etc).
I agree with this post, and I would add start taking hair strengthening supplements like silica (miracle worker for me) biotin, amino acids blend, protein shakes, kelp, etc. I had hair loss and breakage and now it's has grown back healthy and strong but I had to rebuild my hair from the inside out due to dietary deficencies brought on by stress, and due to a poor diet / stressful lifestyle. I had to revamp me entire lifestyle, but now I have a healthy head full of hair.

Last edited:
MissAlyssa, have you thought of giving yourself daily rinses. 1 dime amount of conditioner, add rosewater and glycerine and put into a 50 ml bottle, add a little bicarbonate of soda, if you leave in a hard water area, or use distilled water. Add a little amount of water, so that the conditioner, rosewater and glycerine can be mixed thoroughly, then add enough water to fill up to 50 ml, get an old stocking and put over your hair and pour your rinse over your head, then wrap a towel around your hair, and keep it for twenty minutes. After you take off the towel, take off the stocking and you will find that your hair will be moist and if you do it every day, it would stop the breakage.

I haven't tried daily washing for fear of dreading. I'm considering putting in twist or braid extensions. If I go that route I'll try daily or every other day rinses.

WHERE DID YOU PURCHASE THIS FROM????????
I've never seen a comb like this and my hair would GREATLY appreciate if I purchased this with a quickness..(..well i'm in braids now..but still:lachen:)

I ordered mine from hairsense.com. I've also seen them over at honeyfig.com

Hard water and previous damage are what cased my breakage early on. My hair was so gone that it continued to break the entire first year. It was less breakage than preLHCF but breakage all the same.

At this point, all of the hair I had when I found LHcF is gone. I had to grow an entirely new (well cared for) head of hair. I think it was just too damaged to repair.

The other thing that caused a lot of my damage was hard water. If you have hard water no conditioner will work. It won't be able to get through all the minerals caked on the strands. If you think that might be culpit, buy some test strips from a pet department or pick up some bottled water. My hair likes bottled drinking water best (ozarka, dasani, aquafina, etc).

The hair on my head which is breaking is all post hairboards. My pre hairboard hair broke off already.

I glanced quickly at a hardwater map. Where I'm living now isn't in a hard water area. I've only been living here for a month though. I couldn't find a hard water map for where I lived in Canada

I agree with this post, and I would add start taking hair strengthening supplements like silica (miracle worker for me) biotin, amino acids blend, protein shakes, kelp, etc. I had hair loss and breakage and now it's has grown back healthy and strong but I had to rebuild my hair from the inside out due to dietary deficencies brought on by stress, and due to a poor diet / stressful lifestyle. I had to revamp me entire lifestyle, but now I have a healthy head full of hair.

I think I'll look into vitamins. Right now I only take a multivitamin.

Lys

I think I'll look into vitamins. Right now I only take a multivitamin.

Lys
One thing I want to mention, we talked about it in the Alta Silica thread...when you get blood work you have to ask for the full blood panel, then there is about 3 or 4 tests they do for iron. One is for your ferritin (sp) levels. Turns out mine was really low, and it needed to be twice the number to have healthy hair. One of our challenge members was not getting results with the silica and went to her doc to get the tests and sure enough she was low in that area. PM me and I'll get the information together for you on what type of blood panel test is needed to get you the numbers. Once I strated taking the specific type of iron along with vitamin C, the rest is history...great outcome. Now I'm learning how to handle a new healthy thick head of natural hair.

I believe I'm in good health. I exercise regular, eat better than most, and take my multi-vitamin (when I remember). The only ailments I know of are allergies. I had a physical about a month ago with blood work. I'm not anemic. I donate blood and they keep call me to do so. If there was a health related cause at least that would be an answer.

Lys
cute but you could still donate blood and have an ailment.:drunk: I don't think the other person was suggesting you have something that would cause others harm,just perhaps an illness that could make you sick. standard blood work does not always account for everything. You have to tell them what's wrong so they can do specific, more detailed tests like : thyroid tests, and lupus for example. Just because you run and eat right doesn't mean that things could not come up. I have a thyroid disease and I was a long distance runner/ballet/moderndance/ballroom dancer in great shape. And yes I had hair breakage because of it, which I had to deal with. It doesn't hurt to give the doc all the details (hair breakage? Is your skin dry? Or whatever the symptoms are let them know so they'll know what tests to do) and then see if everything checks out.

One thing I want to mention, we talked about it in the Alta Silica thread...when you get blood work you have to ask for the full blood panel, then there is about 3 or 4 tests they do for iron. One is for your ferritin (sp) levels. Turns out mine was really low, and it needed to be twice the number to have healthy hair. One of our challenge members was not getting results with the silica and went to her doc to get the tests and sure enough she was low in that area. PM me and I'll get the information together for you on what type of blood panel test is needed to get you the numbers. Once I strated taking the specific type of iron along with vitamin C, the rest is history...great outcome. Now I'm learning how to handle a new healthy thick head of natural hair.

Hmmm. This makes me wonder. I've had blood work done but I've never inquired about what specific tests were being done and what the results were. I've always been under the impression that if something was wrong they'd let me know.

This was my basis for saying I'm not anemic earlier in the thread. Plus I donated blood early this year and they do a quick test to check your iron levels before they let your donate. I passed, so I thought I was cool.

Last year May I didn't pass that initial screen. I assumed it was because I went to donate at the end of exam week and my health probably wasn't where it should be.

Jump to now:
I had a full physical just over 2 months ago at the beginning of May. This was again during exam time, but I wasn't stressed this year (senioritis). In any event I happen to have a copy of those tests. I didn't have 3 tests done for iron. (I have to make an appointment with my family doc to get the dermatologist referral, so I'll get a lab requisition from one of those two docs). My red blood cell count and hemoglobin count are both low. Meaning my iron is low... or at least it was low 2 months ago. I'm not a hematologist so I don't know if it's significantly low.

next step: think about this on a fresh brain, I'm sleepy.

Lys

Last edited:
cute but you could still donate blood and have an ailment.:drunk: I don't think the other person was suggesting you have something that would cause others harm,just perhaps an illness that could make you sick. standard blood work does not always account for everything. You have to tell them what's wrong so they can do specific, more detailed tests like : thyroid tests, and lupus for example. Just because you run and eat right doesn't mean that things could not come up. I have a thyroid disease and I was a long distance runner/ballet/moderndance/ballroom dancer in great shape. And yes I had hair breakage because of it, which I had to deal with. It doesn't hurt to give the doc all the details (hair breakage? Is your skin dry? Or whatever the symptoms are let them know so they'll know what tests to do) and then see if everything checks out.

We posted at the same time :)
About the donating blood thing, I know you can be ill and still donate. My comment was in reference to being anemic and donating blood. They don't let people with low iron donate.

When I go to the doctor I'm telling him/her EVERYTHING. Especially if my insurance isn't covering the visit, I'm going to make the best of my $$$ and my time.

Lys

We posted at the same time :)
About the donating blood thing, I know you can be ill and still donate. My comment was in reference to being anemic and donating blood. They don't let people with low iron donate.

When I go to the doctor I'm telling him/her EVERYTHING. Especially if my insurance isn't covering the visit, I'm going to make the best of my $$$ and my time.

Lys

I found out about the ferritin iron online, my doctor did not point it out to me...I requested the full blood panel, got a paper copy of the results and then talked with some women in a hair loss forum, and then treated myself! :yep: There is an anemia that they check for that test if your blood is carrrying enough oxgyen. That's the standard anemia test. That's not the one that affects your hair. Only a dematologist would think to do that test if you report with hair problems. Ask for a full blood planel, the will check all the things mentioned above and more (hormone levels, etc) They will take about 6 vials of blood too!

How did I forget to post the good news? My nape hows now reached APL and if this breakage will cease I'll still be able to reach my goal of SL in the hair from the crown :trampolin:

Lys
My hair grows the same way:grin:

Found a cable. Here's the pic from that day (June 28th)
Wow that looks like my sink and bathroom floor on wash day:nono: Like you, I was getting breakage, even when in protective styles. I have been in synthetic braids since May and sometimes when I would smooth conditioner on my hair, I would get tiny bits of hair in my hands:wallbash: Sometime in the month of June, I smoothed some cholesterol conditioner on my braids (straight from the jar) and let it set over night and rinsed it out in the morning. There was no breakage when I rinsed. I tried it again later on that week and my hair was so soft and felt very moisturized. Fast forward to the present and still, no brekage:drunk:

So possibly dc-ing more often and using something like cholesterol may stop your breakage.

Wow that looks like my sink and bathroom floor on wash day:nono: Like you, I was getting breakage, even when in protective styles. I have been in synthetic braids since May and sometimes when I would smooth conditioner on my hair, I would get tiny bits of hair in my hands:wallbash: Sometime in the month of June, I smoothed some cholesterol conditioner on my braids (straight from the jar) and let it set over night and rinsed it out in the morning. There was no breakage when I rinsed. I tried it again later on that week and my hair was so soft and felt very moisturized. Fast forward to the present and still, no brekage:drunk:

So possibly dc-ing more often and using something like cholesterol may stop your breakage.

What type of cholesterol were you using? Also, have you used the cholesterol with your hair out of braids? If so, has the breakage ceased with it out?

How did I forget to post the good news? My nape hows now reached APL and if this breakage will cease I'll still be able to reach my goal of SL in the hair from the crown :trampolin:

Lys
That's awsome, I can't wait until I get there!!!!!

What type of cholesterol were you using? Also, have you used the cholesterol with your hair out of braids? If so, has the breakage ceased with it out?

I use the really thick orange stuff by Lekair. I've tried all the other brands and Lekair is the only brand that has worked and gave me consistent results on my natural hair. As far as I can remember, this is the first time I ever dc-ed with braids, I usually dc with loose hair. Lekair has helped in the past with breakage issues, can't say the same about the other cholesterols:nono:

Small update. I went to the doctor last week with my previous test results. She said I may have slight anemia. She ordered new tests because those ones were getting old, were done in Canada (different measuring system), and didn't say if I was iron deficient or not. She ordered a Complete Blood Count. I think that's what someone here was suggesting I get. Next week I'll find out the results.

In the meantime I put my hair in braid extensions and bought Alta Silica and more multivitamins

Lys

Last edited:
Do you suffer from any physical ailments/illnesses? That could explain your hair breakage. Perhaps you should visit with a doctor or dermatologist?

I can definitely say that my hair growth and texture has changed since I was diagnosed as being anemic.

I would suggest seeing a doctor and ask about getting a physical and some blood work done.

Exactly. I was doing everything it seem by the book and in 7 years my hair stayed the same length. I let go of a very, very stressful rocky relationship and now I am able to attain length.

Sometimes retaining length is physical. Make sure you are heatlhy and live a stress free life.

I just got back from the doctors. According to my most recent blood test my hemoglobin, hematocrit, and RBC are all well within the normal range :):perplexed:ohwell:. Meaning I don't have anemia. But since my blood work from 2 months ago says differently, at my request she's having the complete blood count done again as well as some kinda blood test that looks specifically at iron. I haven't been doing anything differently with myself in the past 2 months so we don't really know what's up with the difference in test results. Since my second blood draw and the blood draw today I have started taking my multi vitamin fairly regularly and last week I started on silica.

If this third test confirms that I don't have anemia, then I guess I'm back at square one and will ask for a referal to a dermatologist.

Lys

Alyssa, how long do you use a method before you determine it doesn't work? You might be trying too many things in a relatively short time span.

Alyssa, how long do you use a method before you determine it doesn't work? You might be trying too many things in a relatively short time span.

mmm. I did the no shampoo, cowash only thing for 2 years. When I started this thread is the first time I'm really looking at my regime. So I did the heavier protein thing 3 times and I may have tried it some more, but I decided to stop and use no products at all.

How long should I stick with something before trying something else?

Lys

I use the really thick orange stuff by Lekair. I've tried all the other brands and Lekair is the only brand that has worked and gave me consistent results on my natural hair. As far as I can remember, this is the first time I ever dc-ed with braids, I usually dc with loose hair. Lekair has helped in the past with breakage issues, can't say the same about the other cholesterols:nono:

Just now seeing this pattycake (thanks iSpy!)

I have lekair as well. I tried this once, and it worked pretty well, but then I got discouraged because it has protein in it, and I was scared it would over time, make my hair too hair.

I am at the point now, I will try it again, and see how it works.

mmm. I did the no shampoo, cowash only thing for 2 years. When I started this thread is the first time I'm really looking at my regime. So I did the heavier protein thing 3 times and I may have tried it some more, but I decided to stop and use no products at all.

How long should I stick with something before trying something else?

Lys

Hmm...If I were you, I'd try a basic moisturizing shampoo, d/c 1x/week & daily moisture reggie with effective products for about a month or so and see if the breakage lets up some. IMO, if your hair is snapping off just by applying products, that sounds like you need more moisture & less protein.

I'm not a natural... but maybe you can check out fotkis of naturals that are making good progress & see what their regimens are & what products they're using. That might put you on the right track.

Also, when was the last time you clarified? You might have product buildup or hard water, like someone else mentioned.

Sistaslick has a good article on maintaining colored hair in her fotki, you could try checking that out too. HTH!

Hmm...If I were you, I'd try a basic moisturizing shampoo, d/c 1x/week & daily moisture reggie with effective products for about a month or so and see if the breakage lets up some. IMO, if your hair is snapping off just by applying products, that sounds like you need more moisture & less protein.

I'm not a natural... but maybe you can check out fotkis of naturals that are making good progress & see what their regimens are & what products they're using. That might put you on the right track.

Also, when was the last time you clarified? You might have product buildup or hard water, like someone else mentioned.

Sistaslick has a good article on maintaining colored hair in her fotki, you could try checking that out too. HTH!

Thing is, I barely used protein in the 2 years I was cowashing. I use protein every couple of months. I was DC weekly or every other week. Almost every time I washed. During that time I lost 7 inches due to breakage. At the time I started this thread, I was trying to up my moisture level in an attempt to stop breakage. I was diligently moisturizing every day. It was then that I realized that even moisturizing my hair causes breakage :nono:

Am I suppose to increase moisture even more? DC 2 or 3 times a week, moisturize twice a day?

Lys

Looks like my subscription runs out tonight. I don't think I'll be renewing. I need a break from this board. Seeing ladies do anything to their hair can get great growth while my hair crumbles in my hands is quite depressing. If the condition of my hair ever improves I'll resubscribe and give an update. Thanks for trying to help:yep:

Lys

*hugs* sorry to see you go. hope you'll be back soon, alyssa. if not, maybe we'll see you over on the cnapp forum or np where you might find more like you. :kiss:

Looks like my subscription runs out tonight. I don't think I'll be renewing. I need a break from this board. Seeing ladies do anything to their hair can get great growth while my hair crumbles in my hands is quite depressing. If the condition of my hair ever improves I'll resubscribe and give an update. Thanks for trying to help:yep:

Lys

Sorry to see you go, MissAlyssa. Good luck. :hugs:

Lys

Im back, almost a year later, but my hair condition has not improved. And I still avoid other people's update threads because they are still depressing. Here are my (lack of) progress shot for the past year.

(check my fotki)

dont quote the pics because I might remove them later.

I haven't had any length retention for the past 6 months. My bangs may have even gotten shorter (or it could just be the camera angle and my head tilt). Either way I've managed to retain about 1-1.5 inches for the past year. So that's 4.5-5 inches lost do to knots, breakage, tangles, breakage, small trim, breakage, sniping splits, and breakage breakage breakage.

I've had my hair in protective styles 99% of the time since June 2008. As you can see it hasn't done me much good. I stopped combing my hair 2 months ago, but since I didn't retain any growth the last 6 months not combing hasn't helped.

I've been natural and growing my hair out for the past 6 years. Can you tell? No? me neither.

Lys

Last edited:
So what are you doing now with your hair Lys? I am a new member, but I so hate to see people not having any results!!:nono: You say you wear your hair in protective styles 99% of the time. What's the rest of your routine, with products? :bighug:

Im back, almost a year later, but my hair condition has not improved. And I still avoid other people's update threads because they are still depressing. Here are my (lack of) progress shot for the past year.

dont quote the pics because I might remove them later.

I haven't had any length retention for the past 6 months. My bangs may have even gotten shorter (or it could just be the camera angle and my head tilt). Either way I've managed to retain about 1-1.5 inches for the past year. So that's 4.5-5 inches lost do to knots, breakage, tangles, breakage, small trim, breakage, sniping splits, and breakage breakage breakage.

I've had my hair in protective styles 99% of the time since June 2008. As you can see it hasn't done me much good. I stopped combing my hair 2 months ago, but since I didn't retain any growth the last 6 months not combing hasn't helped.

I've been natural and growing my hair out for the past 6 years. Can you tell? No? me neither.

Lys
Okay... so if you are not making any progress with your regimen then you have to make changes. If you want different results then take a different path! Hair grows from the inside out; so I always start from there. If your hair is popping out of your scalp and immediately and constantly breaking off then your hair is being compromised from the inside out.

So what are you doing now with your hair Lys? I am a new member, but I so hate to see people not having any results!!:nono: You say you wear your hair in protective styles 99% of the time. What's the rest of your routine, with products? :bighug:

Okay... so if you are not making any progress with your regimen then you have to make changes. If you want different results then take a different path! Hair grows from the inside out; so I always start from there. If your hair is popping out of your scalp and immediately and constantly breaking off then your hair is being compromised from the inside out.

My hair doesn't break close to the scalp. It's the last inch or less that breaks off but I can find splits or bubbles in the strand up to 3 inches from the end. I eat well and try to remember to take my multi vitamin. I was in and out of the doctor's office last summer trying to see if anemia is causing my breakage, but i'm not anemic...

I've changed my regimen a few times in the past year but nothing I try seems to make a difference in my hair. For the past 6 months I've been pretty consistent. Every two weeks I

• wash (Avalon Organics Lavendar Shampoo)
  • deep condition (Earth Organics Avocado and Olive Oil Deep conditioning masque, or Druide's conditioner)
  • Protein condition (nexxus keraphix, aphogee 2min, or generic Kpak). I favor the aphogee so I'm trying to use out the other two
  • water rinse
  • I blot my hair with a towel
  • take down a section
  • heat protectant (CHI silk infusion or Big Sexy Hair - striaghtening balm)
  • blow dry on cool or medium
  • apply coconut oil
  • style in a bun, 2 or 3 big cornrows, or kinky twists with extension
  • between washes: cocnut oil as needed and Nex Faze protein leave-in once a week
I don't know what path to take now, thats why I'm back on the board. I'm open to suggestions:yep:

Lys

I believe I'm in good health. I exercise regular, eat better than most, and take my multi-vitamin (when I remember). The only ailments I know of are allergies. I had a physical about a month ago with blood work. I'm not anemic. I donate blood and they keep call me to do so. If there was a health related cause at least that would be an answer.

Lys

You need to ask for a FULL blood work. Just because you're walking around and eating right doesn't mean there is or isn't potential for a physical ailment. You could still donate blood even if you have an autoimmune disease for instance. You could NOT donate blood only it if you had an Acquired immune problem like hiv, or other diseases like hepatitis. But other ailments, and diseases which could cause you to have hair problems like thyroid disease, lupus, or other things can cause you to have hair problems and you need to make sure you tell your doc what's going on so he can do a full blood work. Not just that basic one for a physical.

I hope you are okay and it's not health related, but if it is, you should not be afraid to be treated, or blinded by eating healthy. I ran track and I still have Grave's. I did ballet, I was an all out athlete. Nothing makes you immune from things like this.

is it just me or do i see progress.
and op your stretching your hair dry which does snot show all your length. i wish my twists would hang that low. hang in there and i promise you it will be worth it

You need to ask for a FULL blood work. Just because you're walking around and eating right doesn't mean there is or isn't potential for a physical ailment. You could still donate blood even if you have an autoimmune disease for instance. You could NOT donate blood only it if you had an Acquired immune problem like hiv, or other diseases like hepatitis. But other ailments, and diseases which could cause you to have hair problems like thyroid disease, lupus, or other things can cause you to have hair problems and you need to make sure you tell your doc what's going on so he can do a full blood work. Not just that basic one for a physical.

I hope you are okay and it's not health related, but if it is, you should not be afraid to be treated, or blinded by eating healthy. I ran track and I still have Grave's. I did ballet, I was an all out athlete. Nothing makes you immune from things like this.

A little while after I made that post that you quoted I actually went and read through the blood work that came with the physical. I haven't seen it in a almost a year, but going from memory it said that my hematocrit and my hemoglobin levels were low. My RBC count was within normal limits. Then I thought back and remembered that a year prior (May 2007) when I went to donate blood they did that little finger prick test and my iron levels were not high enough to donate. That all happened in Canada. I moved to the US June last year. When I cam I found a doctor and asked to be check for anemia. Both that blood test result and a retest I requested came back with everything in normal limits. She said I didn't have any signs or symptoms of lupus or thyroid diseases. Since my hair is breaking off from the ends and not excessively shedding she told me that my hair probably needs a good deep condition and refered me to her stylist. That was the end of that...

Back