3.5 inches of breakage a year?

I often wonder if breakage is just apart of being natural? I know this may not help your situation, but I am really curious. I am natural as well, and I have asked other naturals, and no matter what they do, they have breakage.

Does breakage just come with the territory of being a natural 4a/4b/4z and just something we have to accept? Is there a way to retain more than what may break?

For me, I have a real problem with tangles. I didn't have this problem until I got to APL. I am now at BSL, and they are murder.

I always thought it was the opposite ? I very rarely see broken hairs. Only when styling do I see breakage, and that's when I'm trying to do something I have no business doing. :nono:

Alyssa, don't you have highlights? Do you think it could be the highlights? How long have you been natural? Have you always had breakage? Also, when my sister's (relaxed) hair breaks, it's always in a certain area. Can you pinpoint the area? Or is it all over?

What is your current hair regimen? Which products do you use? How do you wear your hair most days? How do you wear it for bed?

What about finger combing your hair in the shower with tons of conditioner in your hair? I have been doing this for 3-4 months and I had some breakage but this helped me to get it under control.

Basically I comb my hair with conditioner in it while in the shower about every 3 months. If you really finger - combed, it is definitely like combing and when you finally comb with a formal comb, there won't be alot more hairs. Also I don't brush my hair at all.

I was going to start a thread about it in more detail but I haven't had the time. I will write the thread this weekend.

In the 4 months that I have been doing this, the broken hairs (which broke to shoulder length) are now at APL. And the non-broken hairs (which were bra strap length) are now 3 inches from mid-back. Luckily my hair is thick enough that the only one who can tell is me. But this really tested my theory that my hair grows fast but something is breaking it.

I had the same problems when I was natural. It had little to do with what condition my hair was in but the methods I had to use to comb through my hair. It was pretty hard on my hair but only in one section. The one thing that made a difference was consistent protien. I use the Aphogee 2 min. once a week and the Aphogee hardcore every 6 weeks. I deep condition once a week also. I have the softest most moisturized hair ever and I love it.

Now that my hair is relaxed I rarely see any breakage. Now shedding that is something totally different. I am a heavy shedder so I get long strands from the root all day everyday. That I can work with but the breakage had to go.

Yeah, I think I may up the protein. The only protein I have used on my hair has been the lekair cholesterol, and I don't even know if that counts :ohwell:.

I think breakage comes with my texture. It's highly textured and super kinky. In addition I have fine/thin strands. My issue is with the amount of breakage. How much is too much?
I'd like to know the answer to this too.
I always thought it was the opposite ? I very rarely see broken hairs. Only when styling do I see breakage, and that's when I'm trying to do something I have no business doing. :nono:
Interesting. I know that any breakage I am getting in the natural state is from tangles of the tight coils being locked against each other. When my hair was permanently in a straight state, I didn't have this problem. I don't understand your last statement. Wouldn't the only time one would see breakage is when the hair is being manipulated/styled?

Alyssa, don't you have highlights? Do you think it could be the highlights? How long have you been natural? Have you always had breakage? Also, when my sister's (relaxed) hair breaks, it's always in a certain area. Can you pinpoint the area? Or is it all over?

I do have highlights, but it's both highlighted and non-highlighted regions that break. The breakage is all over. I've been natural for 5 years, but the first 2 years I was doing EVERYTHING wrong. Then I found the boards. My hair as grown a lot since then.

What is your current hair regimen? Which products do you use? How do you wear your hair most days? How do you wear it for bed?

I have no current regime.:look: I cowash twice a week to every two weeks depending on my schedule. I seal with some kinda oil/butter. Most days I wear my hair in twists, I leave them in for a week or two. At night I tie my hair in a scarf or more recently I wear a bonnet.

I got a tip to start my hair care over from scratch. To wash it and use no products and see what my hair says and systematically try to fine what it is my hair likes and doesn't like. So today instead of using the Generic K Pak I'm going to wash with a to-be-determined shampoo, not use a conditioner or leavein, twist my hair, and see what happens...

What about finger combing your hair in the shower with tons of conditioner in your hair? I have been doing this for 3-4 months and I had some breakage but this helped me to get it under control.

Basically I comb my hair with conditioner in it while in the shower about every 3 months. If you really finger - combed, it is definitely like combing and when you finally comb with a formal comb, there won't be alot more hairs. Also I don't brush my hair at all.

I was going to start a thread about it in more detail but I haven't had the time. I will write the thread this weekend.

In the 4 months that I have been doing this, the broken hairs (which broke to shoulder length) are now at APL. And the non-broken hairs (which were bra strap length) are now 3 inches from mid-back. Luckily my hair is thick enough that the only one who can tell is me. But this really tested my theory that my hair grows fast but something is breaking it.

I usually do the finger combing thing. Not in the shower because I don't want to be in there for an hour. I finger comb then use my detangling combs. I do it every time i wash because I need to get the shed hairs out.

Lys

Wouldn't the only time one would see breakage is when the hair is being manipulated/styled?

From what I understand, no. I can't define it, but it's like when I was relaxed, I would find hairs on my shirt, and I could be sitting down, watching television. My sister, who is relaxed, will experience breakage at about 7 weeks post. She's not manipulating her hair, but her hair will start breaking. I could be wrong, but I thought this is what Alyssa was experiencing; hair breaking for no apparent reason. It doesn't sound as though she's overly-manipulating her hair though, so why the breakage?

Alyssa, has the breakage slowed down since you've started this thread? Are you losing the same amount of hair?

From what I understand, no. I can't define it, but it's like when I was relaxed, I would find hairs on my shirt, and I could be sitting down, watching television. My sister, who is relaxed, will experience breakage at about 7 weeks post. She's not manipulating her hair, but her hair will start breaking. I could be wrong, but I thought this is what Alyssa was experiencing; hair breaking for no apparent reason. It doesn't sound as though she's overly-manipulating her hair though, so why the breakage?

Alyssa, has the breakage slowed down since you've started this thread? Are you losing the same amount of hair?

I'm losing the same amount. I took a picture of my breakage from today, but I left my memory card at my parents house. The pics are currently trapped in my camera because I don't know where I put the cable. I'll post the pic eventually.

Lys

It was suggested that I keep a journal so I see the reactions to different products as I phase them back in. I'm just going to do it on here in hopes that it will help someone in the future. I don't want them to go through the same struggle that I am.

So today I washed with Aquelle Color Protecting Shampoo. I picked it because I liked the bottle and it said "protects from sun and heat damage":look:. I thought it was going to be really drying because the second ingredient is 'ammonium lauryl sulphate' and the fourth is 'ammonium laureth sulfate'. I didn't use any conditioner or leave in after and thought my hair would be crisp and brittle. I was wrong. My roots are still damp, but the twist pony tail is dry and that part feels like it normally does.

I guess for the next two weeks I'll only put water on it, and see what my next two wash days are like...

Lys

It was suggested that I keep a journal so I see the reactions to different products as I phase them back in. I'm just going to do it on here in hopes that it will help someone in the future. I don't want them to go through the same struggle that I am.

Lys

This is a good idea Lys. Unfortunately, I am new to the natural hair care game so I am still trying to find a regimen/products that work for my hair. I have had a lot of success with Organic Root Stimulator Hair Mayonnaise and Replenishing Paks (very light protein). I just ordered Avocado and Hemp butter from FNWL, which are supposed to be really moisturizing. I have heard rave reviews about Qhemet Biologic products, especially their Burdock Root Butter and Amla & Olive Heavy Cream. I am going to be ordering these soon and will let you know how they worked for my hair.

two weeks, no products: My hair has never been more tangled. It took forever to do last week because I had to spend time fighting through tangles but moving slowly so as not to rip out hair. My hair felt surprisingly oily and slightly moist most days. It did dry out so I did a water rinse this past Wednesday, which seems to help.

My hair is still breaking, but the amount seems to be less and the lengths of the broken hairs has gotten smaller. I detangled half of my hair with a comb like I usually do. I think this caused mechanical breakage because I got more broken hairs from doing that portion than I did when I detangled the other side with just my hands. So it seems that no products also means no combs! I guess I'm use to conditioners and products coating the strands and making detangling easier and safer. I miss my conditioners:ohwell:

So I'm going to up my water rinses to 2 or 3 times a week to see if I can increase the moisture level of my hair.

Lys

How did I forget to post the good news? My nape hows now reached APL and if this breakage will cease I'll still be able to reach my goal of SL in the hair from the crown :trampolin:

Lys

How did I forget to post the good news? My nape hows now reached APL and if this breakage will cease I'll still be able to reach my goal of SL in the hair from the crown :trampolin:

Lys

Yay! Sounds like you and I have the same shape of hair.

I can't seem to get away from breakage. I moisturize my hair, but it still breaks. I put my hair in twists last week. The last time I washed it was 2 days ago (I washed with the twists in). Today, which the twists still in, I put on some Cantu Leave-in. There were broken hairs all over my shoulders. Breakage from just applying leave-in. I wasn't manipulating my hair as it was in a protective style. I washed it and I put on a moisturizing leave in.

I get breakage if I use protein or if I don't.
I get breakage if I use protective styles or if I don't.
I get breakage if I clarify or if I don't.
I get breakage if I deep condition or if I don't.

What I do know is my hair grows 0.5 inches per month, I haven't cut it it almost two years and the longest layer is only about 8 or 9 inches. In two years it should have grown by 12 inches, and since the cut left me with about 4 or 5 inches, I've lost 7 inches due to breakage! That more than half of my growth per year. What gives? I was lead to believe that some amount of breakage is okay, but this can't be okay.

help anyone?

Lys
Do you comb or manipulate your hair excessively? If you don't, do you comb or manipulate it roughly whenever you do deal with your hair? That's the only thing I can think of. Sometimes, you may be combing or styling roughly without even knowing it. Combing your hair too much or manipulating your hair too much is like giving yourself a haircut everyday. Try to comb and style your hair as if your hair is silk or a new born baby's head. Don't just rake through it. Hope that helps.

Last edited:
Do you comb or manipulate your hair excessively? If you don't, do you comb or manipulate it roughly whenever you do deal with your hair? That's the only thing I can think of. Sometimes, you may be combing or styling roughly without even knowing it. Combing your hair too much or manipulating your hair too much is like giving yourself a haircut everyday. Try to comb and style your hair as if your hair is silk or a new born baby's head. Don't just rake through it. Hope that helps.

I comb my hair once a week, or once every two weeks. I'm very gentle with it, but it still breaks off. It breaks when I finger comb too.

Congrats!!!

Thank you :)

There could be a lot of things causing hair fragileness. Do you brush your hair? If so, that could be the cause. Try combing your hair with a wide toothed comb. Are you getting enough nutrients in your diet? Are you ill or are you becoming ill? Are you anemic? It also could be something as simple as using products that really don't agree with your hair or that you are going through some stress right now.

There could be a lot of things causing hair fragileness. Do you brush your hair? If so, that could be the cause. Try combing your hair with a wide toothed comb. Are you getting enough nutrients in your diet? Are you ill or are you becoming ill? Are you anemic? It also could be something as simple as using products that really don't agree with your hair or that you are going through some stress right now.

I don't brush my hair often. I use a Denman once a month, or once every two months. I comb with this
215.gif

or this

255.gif

My diet is great, not sick, not anemic. I haven't used any products at all in 2 weeks and it's still breaking.

Lys

I think I've given up. This was week 3 of no products and it looks like my hair loss has increased. I'm losing the same amount as when I started this thread. Broken pieces are 1-3cms long. Hair does grow only to break off. I'm looking for a dermatologist because I know this isn't normal. I'm going back to using products. They don't have an effect on breakage, but they do make detangling much easier.

Thanks all of you who tried to help

Lys

I think I've given up. This was week 3 of no products and it looks like my hair loss has increased. I'm losing the same amount as when I started this thread. Broken pieces are 1-3cms long. Hair does grow only to break off. I'm looking for a dermatologist because I know this isn't normal. I'm going back to using products. They don't have an effect on breakage, but they do make detangling much easier.

Thanks all of you who tried to help

Lys

:kiss: aww... don't be discouraged Lys, your symptoms sounds like when I had keratin overload in my hair... since you are natural you do not need so much keratin like there is in aphogee 2 min...you would need more collagen for elasticity and moisturising plant proteins... Keratin protein overload takes a few moistursing deep conditionings to fix...like for me, 4 one hour sessions with a purely moisturizing conditioner, like kenra or silk elements moisturising treatment not the mayo. Try that for the next couple of weeks won't you and see if your breakage is reduced? oh yeah did u try pm-ing sistaslick? she might have some more specific advice for you...HHG!

Hey,

You should try this moisture/protein conditioner called CPR by Motions. The Jar is Yellow with a purple top, and you can buy it at any drugstore or beauty supply store. Get the conditioner in the Jar not the one that is a bottle. It uses silk proteins and it has done wonders for my hair as far as breakage is concerned. You should use it once a week and right after you get your relaxer. Good luck ;)

I'm losing the same amount. I took a picture of my breakage from today, but I left my memory card at my parents house. The pics are currently trapped in my camera because I don't know where I put the cable. I'll post the pic eventually.

Lys

Found a cable. Here's the pic from that day (June 28th)

Attachments

• STA72350.JPG
    STA72350.JPG
    82.1 KB · Views: 86
I don't know what to say. I'm struggling, too. I lost a lot of hair yesterday and my bathroom was looking just like that picture. Side note, your coils are sooo tiny, tinier than mine and in perfect circles. Are you sure you're keeping your hair stretched? Or is this from detangling while soaking wet so it was able to coil up like this? I think for me detangling soaking wet hair is not a good idea because my hair is so fragile and it is more fragile when wet. Of course dry hair doesn't exaclty work either. :perplexed I detangle best before washing with some goop around the consistency of yogurt and with my finger.s

Earlier this week I had some people invite themselves to my place. All I could think about was my hair that was all over the floor. I had to rush home to vacuum it. I didn't want them to see the carpet of hair on top of my real carpet.

Now I spread out a sheet when doing my hair and try to stay in one location. It's good because it makes cleanup easier, but it's bad because I see just how much hair I'm losing each time I do my hair.

The first pic is from lastnight's detangling session. I detangle on wet hair as you can see from the shrinkage. The second pic is from today's detangle session in preparation for styling. I had to detangle twice because I let my hair dry in twists which leads to dreading...

So this is what I loose on a weekly basis in terms of shed and broken hairs.

Attachments

• STA72356.JPG
    STA72356.JPG
    82.3 KB · Views: 77
  • STA72357.JPG
    STA72357.JPG
    80.3 KB · Views: 56
I don't know what to say. I'm struggling, too. I lost a lot of hair yesterday and my bathroom was looking just like that picture. Side note, your coils are sooo tiny, tinier than mine and in perfect circles. Are you sure you're keeping your hair stretched? Or is this from detangling while soaking wet so it was able to coil up like this? I think for me detangling soaking wet hair is not a good idea because my hair is so fragile and it is more fragile when wet. Of course dry hair doesn't exaclty work either. :perplexed I detangle best before washing with some goop around the consistency of yogurt and with my finger.s

I don't remember how I detangled that day. It was before I started documenting. I don't detangle soaking wet. It's either damp with water, or damp with water and conditioner, or just conditioner. That day I believe I used detangling combs

Lastnight I detangled with just water and my hands. Since I'm back using products, I'll be detangling damp with conditioner next time.

I definetly didn't stretch my hair out well last night. I had to do it over today on dry hair.

Lys

MissAlyssa, have you thought of giving yourself daily rinses. 1 dime amount of conditioner, add rosewater and glycerine and put into a 50 ml bottle, add a little bicarbonate of soda, if you leave in a hard water area, or use distilled water. Add a little amount of water, so that the conditioner, rosewater and glycerine can be mixed thoroughly, then add enough water to fill up to 50 ml, get an old stocking and put over your hair and pour your rinse over your head, then wrap a towel around your hair, and keep it for twenty minutes. After you take off the towel, take off the stocking and you will find that your hair will be moist and if you do it every day, it would stop the breakage.

I don't brush my hair often. I use a Denman once a month, or once every two months. I comb with this
215.gif

or this

255.gif

My diet is great, not sick, not anemic. I haven't used any products at all in 2 weeks and it's still breaking.

Lys

WHERE DID YOU PURCHASE THIS FROM????????
I've never seen a comb like this and my hair would GREATLY appreciate if I purchased this with a quickness..(..well i'm in braids now..but still:lachen:)

Hard water and previous damage are what cased my breakage early on. My hair was so gone that it continued to break the entire first year. It was less breakage than preLHCF but breakage all the same.

At this point, all of the hair I had when I found LHcF is gone. I had to grow an entirely new (well cared for) head of hair. I think it was just too damaged to repair.

The other thing that caused a lot of my damage was hard water. If you have hard water no conditioner will work. It won't be able to get through all the minerals caked on the strands. If you think that might be culpit, buy some test strips from a pet department or pick up some bottled water. My hair likes bottled drinking water best (ozarka, dasani, aquafina, etc).

MissAlyssa, have you thought of giving yourself daily rinses. 1 dime amount of conditioner, add rosewater and glycerine and put into a 50 ml bottle, add a little bicarbonate of soda, if you leave in a hard water area, or use distilled water. Add a little amount of water, so that the conditioner, rosewater and glycerine can be mixed thoroughly, then add enough water to fill up to 50 ml, get an old stocking and put over your hair and pour your rinse over your head, then wrap a towel around your hair, and keep it for twenty minutes. After you take off the towel, take off the stocking and you will find that your hair will be moist and if you do it every day, it would stop the breakage.

How would she give herself daily rinses? Do you mean she should keep her hair in cornrows? For me, every time I wet my hair it coils and tangles back up on itself meaning I have to detangle again or my hair wants to lock up. I'm always looking for ways for me to wet my hair more frequently, so please share.

I can't get my breakage under control either. I can totally relate to what you're saying, especially getting hair all over the place. I haven't noticed any difference regardless of what I do to my hair (protein, moisture, co-wash, protective styles, Motions CPR, Aphogee, etc). Personally, I didn't have problems with accessive breakage until I relaxed. So I'm looking forward to responses as well.

How would she give herself daily rinses? Do you mean she should keep her hair in cornrows? For me, every time I wet my hair it coils and tangles back up on itself meaning I have to detangle again or my hair wants to lock up. I'm always looking for ways for me to wet my hair more frequently, so please share.

Me too!!!:grin:

Back