3.5 inches of breakage a year?

Yeah, you should definitely do a lot of research. I know you're already struggling with dryness issues and henna could set you back. That's why it's recommended to do a really good DC afterward. Also, for your first time you should just add water to the henna. Adding acidic things like lemon/lime juice, acv, and other "terps" could cause a huge setback for you.

I'm still looking at henna recipes (I dont plan to do it until monday maybe). I'm probably just going to do the Hesh because its %100 henna. I dont want to use the combo, have it not work, and not know which ingredient caused the problems. I'll probably do the henna gloss (conditioner) route. I'm not going to do the lemon juice thing, so I'm mentally preparing myself for red hair:look:

Hi, MissAlyssa!!!

I've read this entire thread & I just want to say that I feel for you. Breakage is truly the worst. When I started my hair journey, I had breakage galore because I piled on the moisture & avoided protein like the plague. My breakage lessened significantly when I incorporated protein into my regimen on a regular basis. The protein helped me to hold on to the moisture. When I used to drown my hair in moisture, it often felt dry. I do an ACV rinse at the end of each wash & it makes my hair feel softer. Also, I didn't follow up w/ KBB deep condish after Aphogee 2-min last week & I've noticed even more of a decrease in breakage.

Having said all this, I also understand the struggles of having fine hair. It does (mine at least) seem to be prone to a certain amount of breakage. I protective style to the max. On average, my hair is only exposed outside four times a month.

If you're still looking for moisturizers, I suggest Jane Carter Solution Hair Nourishing Cream. It provides moisture w/out weighing the hair down.

Thank you for reading it all! I'm still not sure if I should be working protein back into my regime or not. Thanks for your input. Does Jane Carter have cones?

Lys

Hi MissAlyssa! :wave:

I wanted to let you know I definitely understand what you are going through. I have had steady breakage for about 2 years, but it was due to having an overprocessed relaxer :ohwell: from a stylist. I plan on BC'ing very soon because I can't take the emotional distress every time I wash my hair.

Hair is everywhere...the floor, my car, when I sweep there's hair, here a hair, there a hair, everywhere's a hair! lol

I still see my stylist who's my auntie (not the stylist who damaged my hair) every two weeks. One week after leaving the beauty shop is when my hair begins breaking. Then once I wash it, it continues to break until I return to the shop.

Have you considered seeing any natural stylists in your area? They may can recommend some products you aren't aware of.

I hope everything works out for you.

I'm still looking at henna recipes (I dont plan to do it until monday maybe). I'm probably just going to do the Hesh because its %100 henna. I dont want to use the combo, have it not work, and not know which ingredient caused the problems. I'll probably do the henna gloss (conditioner) route. I'm not going to do the lemon juice thing, so I'm mentally preparing myself for red hair:look:

Thank you for reading it all! I'm still not sure if I should be working protein back into my regime or not. Thanks for your input. Does Jane Carter have cones?

Lys

Protein is a unique situation. There are members on the board who don't use protein & they don't suffer from breakage. The Jane Carter Hair Nourishing Cream doesn't have cones.

Henna wasnt a very good idea. I have tangles down the roots. I've been working on it since 8. A lot of hair has been lost. I have atleast another 2-3 hours ahead of me. This is really a disaster. awful. I hav class tomorrow morning and skills assessments in the afternoon I should be practising for. But instead I have to struggle with me hair because its terrible. I'm going back to blowdrying. My hair cant take over my life like this. I really dont have the time or heart anymore

Thanks. I've looked through those threads before. I know my hair needs more moisture but it doesn't seen to hold any moisture. Even when I baggy or steam as soon as my hair dries it's DRY!

Lys

Mine, too. Where do you live? I wish you had the opportunity to touch my hair, just so you have the opportunity to feel another type of naturally dry hair. I wonder if you have unrealistic expectations of how your hair should feel. I might be in the minority, but I really don't think products are all that different from each other. There are a few basic types to me. I was buying all sorts of things people suggested and could barely tell the difference between them. It's not like there's some magic ingredient and only one company knows it. It shouldn't be that hard to find a good product, so I came to accept that I was expecting products to do what they can't and that's change the fundamentals of my hair. I just came to accept that my hair doesn't feel traditionally very "soft" compared to others. I remember feeling a former date's hair, who wash with a sulfate 2-in-1 conditioner and put nothing or a little store bought cream on his hair and it would be so much softer than mine, even with nothing on it.

All that said, if your cabinet is filled with a billion products already, natural, semi-natural, and weird chemicals, I'm inclined to think you really don't need any more products. I would focus more on regimen tweaks than buying yet more new products. Something simple like putting on a heavy butter moisturizer after washing, coating with oil, and putting the hair into cornrows and keeping them in for 2 weeks at a time, detangling with just your fingers. And keep in mind that, well, some people's hair just breaks more than others. I lose at least 2 inches of breakage a year, and that's on a good year.

AWWW Alyssa I'm so sorry to hear about your hair issues :bighug:. I wish there was something I could tell you but all I can say is keep your head up. If you can put your hair in braids or twists, do so. It will take your mind off your hair for a little bit. Don't give up though it will be alright

Lys,

I'm sorry to hear that the henna didn't go well for you. What recipe did you use, and what was your process? I've never henna'd before, but I know a lot of ladies on this board who have, and they always say to cowash instead of shampoo after and do a super deep conditioning treatment.

I understand your desire to go back to blowdrying, and I know that a lot of women on this board do it successfully without damaging their hair. Just be sure to take appropriate precautions there as well. I agree that you should do something that puts your hair away so you don't have to think about it as much. Good luck hon!

OP, I read most of your thread and I'm so sorry! My hair runs dry and my edges break as well, the hair and I have been struggling with the new dry environment :ohwell:. I thought blow drying was making things better but that seems to be when I really see those little breaks. Have you tried natural stuff like an egg treatment or caramel? http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=126629 see page 9 for recipe

I did a caramel treatment yesterday and my hair loved it. :lick:
I also purchased V05 moisture milk (already mentioned by others) for 77 cents. I SOAKED my twists with it to take them down and SOAKED my hair in it again when it was time to comb it out in the shower. After I dced with butter treat I put coconut oil. My hair enjoyed it but seems to want more again :lachen: So I'm gonna do the porosity test. But basically it seems my hair wants way more moisture than I think it does, and fine hair tends to need more protein as well.

Anyway, my main point is, YOUR HAIR SHOULD NOT BE THAT HARD TO COMB if you put enough condish on it. Hope something works for you :nono:

Mine, too. Where do you live? I wish you had the opportunity to touch my hair, just so you have the opportunity to feel another type of naturally dry hair. I wonder if you have unrealistic expectations of how your hair should feel. I might be in the minority, but I really don't think products are all that different from each other. There are a few basic types to me. I was buying all sorts of things people suggested and could barely tell the difference between them. It's not like there's some magic ingredient and only one company knows it. It shouldn't be that hard to find a good product, so I came to accept that I was expecting products to do what they can't and that's change the fundamentals of my hair. I just came to accept that my hair doesn't feel traditionally very "soft" compared to others. I remember feeling a former date's hair, who wash with a sulfate 2-in-1 conditioner and put nothing or a little store bought cream on his hair and it would be so much softer than mine, even with nothing on it.

All that said, if your cabinet is filled with a billion products already, natural, semi-natural, and weird chemicals, I'm inclined to think you really don't need any more products. I would focus more on regimen tweaks than buying yet more new products. Something simple like putting on a heavy butter moisturizer after washing, coating with oil, and putting the hair into cornrows and keeping them in for 2 weeks at a time, detangling with just your fingers. And keep in mind that, well, some people's hair just breaks more than others. I lose at least 2 inches of breakage a year, and that's on a good year.

I came to the same conclusions as you in the early morning of yesterday. Most of my products feel the same on my hair. I'm in the process of picking out my staples and finding the right combinations. I think monday's disaster might have been because of the cones in my deep conditioner, and not the henna so much. So I will try again in 2 weeks using a cone-free deep conditioner.

About dryness and moisture level. My hair is far more moist when I'm in the Caribbean versus here (Tennessee). The air is a lot more humid there that it is always frizzy due to shrinkage. My cousin twists his hair and it's shoulder length, but within 30 mins of having it freshly done, the twists shrink up past his ears! It was there that I was able to retain almost 0.5 inches in 3 weeks. From the time I get on the airplane to come back to the states my hair and skin start to dry out. :nono: So I know there is another level of moisture that I'm not experiencing now but I'm coming to terms with the fact that no product can recreate the natural habitat my type of hair was made for

Lys,

I'm sorry to hear that the henna didn't go well for you. What recipe did you use, and what was your process? I've never henna'd before, but I know a lot of ladies on this board who have, and they always say to cowash instead of shampoo after and do a super deep conditioning treatment.

I understand your desire to go back to blowdrying, and I know that a lot of women on this board do it successfully without damaging their hair. Just be sure to take appropriate precautions there as well. I agree that you should do something that puts your hair away so you don't have to think about it as much. Good luck hon!

I mixed the henna just with water. It sat for an hour and an half before I applied it. while it was sitting I co-washed with a V05 clarifying conditioner and detangled. Then I applied it wraped my head in saran wrap, put on a shower cap and let it stay for an hour. I rinsed it out with one of the V05 moisture milks (i think thats what its called). Then I put on my deep conditioner (Earth Organics Avocado and Olive Oil) and sat under my steamer for 1.5 hours. Then I towel blotted and airdried. After that I fought with tangles for hours as I tried to put my hair into 7 cornrows.

OP, I read most of your thread and I'm so sorry! My hair runs dry and my edges break as well, the hair and I have been struggling with the new dry environment :ohwell:. I thought blow drying was making things better but that seems to be when I really see those little breaks. Have you tried natural stuff like an egg treatment or caramel? http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=126629 see page 9 for recipe

I did a caramel treatment yesterday and my hair loved it. :lick:
I also purchased V05 moisture milk (already mentioned by others) for 77 cents. I SOAKED my twists with it to take them down and SOAKED my hair in it again when it was time to comb it out in the shower. After I dced with butter treat I put coconut oil. My hair enjoyed it but seems to want more again :lachen: So I'm gonna do the porosity test. But basically it seems my hair wants way more moisture than I think it does, and fine hair tends to need more protein as well.

Anyway, my main point is, YOUR HAIR SHOULD NOT BE THAT HARD TO COMB if you put enough condish on it. Hope something works for you :nono:

My hair should not be that hard to comb... but it is.:spinning: My new detangler is the only thing that would allow me to comb my hair successfully. I bout that Knot Today today. I'm going to see how it works. My goal isn't to have combable hair. I don't know what the big deal with having comable hair is. I just want to get through a wash and style consistantly without being in tears, spending more than 4 hours from start to finish, or having a carpet of little hairs decorating my shoulders and floor.

MissAlyssa, did/do you airdry your hair loose? And then comb your dry hair (with detangler)?

MissAlyssa, did/do you airdry your hair loose? And then comb your dry hair (with detangler)?

No.. I had my hair in twists the whole time. I still have henna particles in my hair. I didn't use a comb (except for the parts). I finger tangled sections with the detangler.

No.. I had my hair in twists the whole time. I still have henna particles in my hair. I didn't use a comb (except for the parts). I finger tangled sections with the detangler.

Hmmm. You are one of three people whose hair always stumps me (Mwedzi and Locabouthair being the other 2).

Anyway, obviously you're going to have to do a good rinse at some point to get the rest of the henna out.

Since you're detangler works well I think you should continue to use it, but also detangle with a comb and not just your fingers. And do it on wet hair.

And if blowdrying was working for you, then you should go back to it. I guess the main thing is that you need to find a healthy way to blow dry so that it isn't causing you breakage. That starts with healthy hair so a good dc will be necessary, but since you say it doesn't make much difference with your hair, "good" for you probably means it needs to be something that will help make blow drying easier and less damaging. Maybe with a heat protectant (a good one) on medium heat as well, it could work.

I'm all out of ideas...I can't imagine how you feel :ohwell:.

I came to the same conclusions as you in the early morning of yesterday. Most of my products feel the same on my hair. I'm in the process of picking out my staples and finding the right combinations. I think monday's disaster might have been because of the cones in my deep conditioner, and not the henna so much. So I will try again in 2 weeks using a cone-free deep conditioner.

About dryness and moisture level. My hair is far more moist when I'm in the Caribbean versus here (Tennessee). The air is a lot more humid there that it is always frizzy due to shrinkage. My cousin twists his hair and it's shoulder length, but within 30 mins of having it freshly done, the twists shrink up past his ears! It was there that I was able to retain almost 0.5 inches in 3 weeks. From the time I get on the airplane to come back to the states my hair and skin start to dry out. :nono: So I know there is another level of moisture that I'm not experiencing now but I'm coming to terms with the fact that no product can recreate the natural habitat my type of hair was made for

I totally agree. I notice a big difference between summer here in Chicago and the rest of the year. I'm surprised Tennessee isn't more amenable, as I thought it was kinda humid down there. But yeah, nothing I can do outside of wearing a jerry curl cap all the time can recreate the higher humidity.

Did you let it dry in twists? Or did you detangle while it was still wet/damp.

The fastest regimen for me is to wear about 25 big twists. Wash once a week and condition and detangle the twists when they are wet/damp and retwist. Small twists take too long and I actually think they are more prone to dreading. Also, I can't wash hair in twists and then let dry in twists.

I totally agree. I notice a big difference between summer here in Chicago and the rest of the year. I'm surprised Tennessee isn't more amenable, as I thought it was kinda humid down there. But yeah, nothing I can do outside of wearing a jerry curl cap all the time can recreate the higher humidity.

Did you let it dry in twists? Or did you detangle while it was still wet/damp.

The fastest regimen for me is to wear about 25 big twists. Wash once a week and condition and detangle the twists when they are wet/damp and retwist. Small twists take too long and I actually think they are more prone to dreading. Also, I can't wash hair in twists and then let dry in twists.

I did let my hair dry in twists. An small twists are more prone to locing. How do you dry your hair, if not in twists?

Lys

I did let my hair dry in twists. An small twists are more prone to locing. How do you dry your hair, if not in twists?

Lys

They can dry in twists. I just can't wash and let it dry in the same twists. So if I wash in twists, which I generally do, I'll take each down, detangle (with comb or fingers), moisturize, and retwist. Then I can leave them to air-dry. That's what I did this morning, in fact. But just leaving twists in, washing, and leaving them to dry is a no-no. :nono: These days, I'm not doing small twists anymore, either. They are more prone to locking and they take too long to put it and detangle. I got no more patience for all of that.

They can dry in twists. I just can't wash and let it dry in the same twists. So if I wash in twists, which I generally do, I'll take each down, detangle (with comb or fingers), moisturize, and retwist. Then I can leave them to air-dry. That's what I did this morning, in fact. But just leaving twists in, washing, and leaving them to dry is a no-no. :nono: These days, I'm not doing small twists anymore, either. They are more prone to locking and they take too long to put it and detangle. I got no more patience for all of that.

I'll give that a try. Only thing is I dont wear my hair in twists anymore at all for various reasons. So I would have to take out whatever style I have, twist, wash, retwist, wait several hours, then do a final style. I wish I had the time, but I don't. As it stands I have exams every 2 weeks. So wash day will correspond with my exams. For some reason I can wash in cornrows and air dry without locing. So I'm either going to wash, deep condition, moisturize, blowdry and redo hair on exam day. Or wash, deep condition, moisturize air dry on exam day, and redo my hair the following day.

Lys

Back