2009: 52 weeks of protective styles

Butterfly08

Nice idea!! Here's my interpretation of the Week 1 side bun.

I love it! Where did you get the flower? All my flowers suck rocks. :ohwell:

TeaKyoo

I'll join. I promised myself no more pony puff tucks in the new year but then realized my hair was growing thanks to that tuck.

I will have get my camera ready for my protective styles. I love the idea of this challenge!

TQ

Great idea Butterfly! I'm subscribing! I don't put any thought into my protective style, I just pin or tie it up. I really need to do better.

hardymem

I would like to join if its not too late, I'm trying to step my game up and make it to bsl by June 09. I will post pictures of my protective styles as I do new ones. Today my hair is under a scarf so will start tomorrow. Thanks for allowing me to grow with yall!!

ShaniKeys

Cool - did you do the twists yourself? I'm trying to come up with a style that could be used on shorter hair. I'm trying to incorporate flat twists somehow.....:scratchch....Maybe I could do one layer of free twists like yours on the top. Imma play around with it tomorrow.

Yes I did them myself:yep: The hair in your siggy seems long, are you transitioning?

Tee

Love the looks ladies.

• Butterfly....Great tread and pretty looks. I am loving them.
  • nakialovesshoes...I think your french roll came out beautiful! I love it.
  • shankikeys.....Great job. I love the black clip. I found a few in silver and gold. I will be on the look out for a solid black clip now.
  • Civic4800......Your side bun is so darn pretty. I, like butterfly, can't find flowers that look pretty. Yours is a beautiful addition!
You ladies need to add some "how to's" instructions. Again, simply beautiful. :up:

TrendySocialite

Does anyone have pics of protective styles for shorter hair? I will look for some pics online and try to post options for all hair lengths starting with Week 3.

How short are you talking?

I would think for most people that have BC'd that the BC is their protective or that they would need to rock a wig as a PS until they got a bit more length.

I hope everyone understands that PS is not just with your own hair but a PS is also what you do with a phoney bun or pony.

I wore phony ponys for about 6 weeks to get my back to grow out. It grew about an inch and a half during that time. And that was before I knew about LHCF.

I think I may try this challenge..although I'm going to have to take some passes from time to time. I will post pics in a few minutes.

LisaLisa1908

What 40 looks like.
I'll be wet bunning in February through the end of April. After that, I'm going to have to get some spare hair and rock some ponies; otherwise, I KNOW I'm going to want to wear my hair down and that's counterproductive.

Great thread! *subscribing*

civic4800

sorry for the confusion...are we on week 3 or still on week 2 faux buns? if we're on week 3, what bun type are we going for this week? thanks

TrendySocialite

So are we limited to whatever the particular style of the week is? I guess I thought it was more a free for all in terms of what the style was, as long as it was protective. Sorry if I hijacked the thread...LOL

Butterfly08

hi everyone....may i join pleaseeeeeeeeeeeee?:ohwell:

Sure, lol! But this isn't technically a challenge, it's an inspiration thread. :yep: all I ask is that you post a pic whenever you attempt one of the styles - OR if you have one to add! :yep:

I would like to join if its not too late, I'm trying to step my game up and make it to bsl by June 09. I will post pictures of my protective styles as I do new ones. Today my hair is under a scarf so will start tomorrow. Thanks for allowing me to grow with yall!!

Great goal! I'm pushing for BSL myself. Please post a pic whenever you get a chance! :yep:

Yes I did them myself:yep: The hair in your siggy seems long, are you transitioning?

Cool. I really need to work with the twists, it's not my strong point, but Im determined to get them down. I'm not transitioning, but I am stretching for 4 months at a time.

Butterfly08

You ladies need to add some "how to's" instructions. Again, simply beautiful. :up:

Will do - I was just wondering about whether I should do that.

Does anyone have pics of protective styles for shorter hair? I will look for some pics online and try to post options for all hair lengths starting with Week 3.

How short are you talking?

I would think for most people that have BC'd that the BC is their protective or that they would need to rock a wig as a PS until they got a bit more length.

I hope everyone understands that PS is not just with your own hair but a PS is also what you do with a phoney bun or pony.

I wore phony ponys for about 6 weeks to get my back to grow out. It grew about an inch and a half during that time. And that was before I knew about LHCF.

I think I may try this challenge..although I'm going to have to take some passes from time to time. I will post pics in a few minutes.

Ok good point. I have been trying to think of some PS for shorter hair (above SL) and what I came up with was to minimize direct heat and to rollerset and constantly moisturize. Also maybe some flat twists or cornrows at the roots to help retain moisture.

This isn't a challenge so you don't need a pass. I just want guys to spice up their PS and bust out of whatever rut you're in (and encourage each other with some easy and pretty style ideas). My rut is wet buns all day every day. :perplexed

Butterfly08

Here are a couple of threads with cute protective styles...

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=212633

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=183615

My side bun...

Another bun with some hair candy...

Phoney Bun

Another cute bun

*Drooling* :pant::pant::pant:- thanks I was looking for that thread, it is GREAT!! :yep: I can't wait to try some of these and you look great. Aren't you on YT? I recognize that first pic, lol. And that second bun with all those flowers! :pant:

Butterfly08

I'll be wet bunning in February through the end of April. After that, I'm going to have to get some spare hair and rock some ponies; otherwise, I KNOW I'm going to want to wear my hair down and that's counterproductive.

Great thread! *subscribing*

Great! Try to vary your wet bun if you want, like the placement and even the way you twist and secure it. This will keep one part of your hair from thinning or breaking, plus it will give some great variety! :grin:

I heart the back of the hair. The front leaves a little to be desired. I may play with it to see what I come up with that's a bit different. But I love the overall concept of this do!

I like that style too. I would work with the front also. I am having a problem getting the front to look as nice as the back for my styles. :ohwell: Maybe it's because I'm 9.5 weeks post. :ohwell:

Butterfly08

sorry for the confusion...are we on week 3 or still on week 2 faux buns? if we're on week 3, what bun type are we going for this week? thanks

So are we limited to whatever the particular style of the week is? I guess I thought it was more a free for all in terms of what the style was, as long as it was protective. Sorry if I hijacked the thread...LOL

I'm gonna start Week 3 on the 15th. I know it's a little wonky but that'll help me keep up. Each week will be a different PS, not necessarily a bun. I'm thinking of "Funky French Rolls" based on an earlier suggestion but I'm scanning the thread for you guy's other ideas and pics so everyone can contribute.

It is a free for all - the overall goal is just to provide inspiration and encourage ladies to try any of the PS offered. So even though Week 1 was the side bun and we are in week 2, if you still want to do the side bun, go for it! :grin:

HAIRapy

SuperDuper Member
I'm gonna start Week 3 on the 15th. I know it's a little wonky but that'll help me keep up. Each week will be a different PS, not necessarily a bun. I'm thinking of "Funky French Rolls" based on an earlier suggestion but I'm scanning the thread for you guy's other ideas and pics so everyone can contribute.

It is a free for all - the overall goal is just to provide inspiration and encourage ladies to try any of the PS offered. So even though Week 1 was the side bun and we are in week 2, if you still want to do the side bun, go for it! :grin:
Thanks for clarifying. I was messing up, I wasn't going along with any themes, I was just trying to vary my updos everyday so I don't get bored with them.

TrendySocialite

*Drooling* :pant::pant::pant:- thanks I was looking for that thread, it is GREAT!! :yep: I can't wait to try some of these and you look great. Aren't you on YT? I recognize that first pic, lol. And that second bun with all those flowers! :pant:

Awww thanks! Yeah I'm on YT although I haven't uploaded a video in FOR-EV-ER! I need to get back to that, cuz I liked it!

Yeah, I over did it with the hair candy...LOL