MSM= weird menstrual cycle?

Ive been on the first potent MSM that ieve ever used even tho ive used MSM for a year, now im on OptiMSM from natures way and suddenly Ive had a weird menstrual cycle or at least a weird PMS,, i feel like my PMS symptoms started wayyy early,, majorly swollen and painful boobs and this came about like a week too soon even though i havent started my cycle yet, i think im on like a 2 and a half week pms now and that just doesnt happen to me... anyone else having freaky symptoms like this?? or is it possible that msm just made my boobs swell and become sensitive not connected to pms,, anyone had this symptom? anyway if this stuff is messing with my cycle i may heavyheartedly have to give it up.....

nomoweavesfome

Ravenhairbellydancer said:
Ive been on the first potent MSM that ieve ever used even tho ive used MSM for a year, now im on OptiMSM from natures way and suddenly Ive had a weird menstrual cycle or at least a weird PMS,, i feel like my PMS symptoms started wayyy early,, majorly swollen and painful boobs and this came about like a week too soon even though i havent started my cycle yet, i think im on like a 2 and a half week pms now and that just doesnt happen to me... anyone else having freaky symptoms like this?? or is it possible that msm just made my boobs swell and become sensitive not connected to pms,, anyone had this symptom? anyway if this stuff is messing with my cycle i may heavyheartedly have to give it up.....

girl- I thought it was just me because I'm getting older. Bust how my tits are so perky and full and they sit high all by them selves with NO bra!!!! and they hurt like all the time. Especially the nipple part because THAT's hard ALL the time. My period did come a few days earlier than anticipated so hmmm. I can't even get my praise dance on and I tried to play double dutch with my stepdaughter and I thought they were like 50 lbs each. wazzup?

Girl it must be the MSM or the APPLE CIDER VINEGAR I take because Patricia Bragg speaks of never having to wear a bra and she's an older lady. I take 1500 mg to 2000 mg a day. How much do you take?

newslady

my second month of taking msm along with my yasmin birth control, i noticed my period started a few days early and only lasted 3 days - as opposed to 5!
so this month, i'm up to about 3,000 mg and not taking the pill to see what happens. even if my period is only 4 days, i'll be happy.
for me, msm shortened the duration of my period and made it start early.

darkangel25

See, this is the reason why I stopped taking MSM. I love it, but I was having PMS symptoms really early and I just did not want to deal with all of that. I was taking 3000 mg a day.

nomoweavesfome

LadyJay114 said:
I stopped taking biotin for the same reason

girl - I'm taking Biotin too. I'm probably on system overload. is there a such thing as too healthy? But i thought the body takes what it needs and disgards the rest as far as Vitamins are concerned?

alexstin

I've been having some breast discomfort lately(definitely not PMS) and I've been wondering if it's the MSM though I have been taking it for quite a while.

isobell

I had to stop taking MSM for this reason, I was having sporadic pms symptoms during the month and also spotting (sorry if tmi) for about 3 months, my physician advised me to stop taking msm because it's interaction with my BC was unknown. The symptoms stopped within a week after I stopped taking it.

nychaelasymone

whoa....my boobies are achin' something awful, my nipps are so painful and they stay erect, plus I'm already a size F and these sucka's are just full and sittin' up at attention,for one minute....I really thought I was prego....but I came to my senses....thank y'all for this thread....I thought it was only me......MSM has actually made my cramps subside tremendously.

Ok im glad i asked this,, i see some others are having these symptoms also, im gonna watch and see if i go down to normal size once my period is over,, I also noticed some spotting just a couple of days b4 i shouldve,, I have to say I find this a tad worrying becuz how do we all know that this stuff isnt messing with out hormones in a way thats unhealthy , like exposing us to too much of something that could result in cancer,, sorry to be a drag on this but its important to keep your eyes open and listen to your body,, I think its wise to speak get a professional opinion on this and I hope to do that soon,, any input anyone??

WomanlyCharm

Yep, the MSM affected my cycle...it's alot shorter and lighter than it was before, and the cramps have practically disappeared (THANK YOU LORD!).

But as for the painful breasts, I blame that on the Evening Primrose I'm taking...did you all know that stuff makes your breasts bigger? And I'm living proof! :eek:

None of my bras fit well at all...:(

LOL womanly charm.. i did find evening primrose to blow up my boobies but only with pms and the pms that it gave me was like nothing ive ever experienced b4 lol, and the period that came after was the heaviest, most painful period ever so i had to stop it, kinda frightening

sareca

Mine started coming earlier. So, I moved from 4,000-7,000mg back to 1,000mg. But, my boobies are still bigger than usual. :( I don't take MSM for my hair anymore. I take it because it stops my knee from aching. I can't be w/o it. :nono:

InJesusName

Breast growth with MSM? I'LL TAKE A TRIPLE DOSE PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:lachen: :lachen: :lachen: :lachen: :lachen: :lachen: :lachen: :lachen: :lachen:

I have been taking 3000 mg for about a month, and I did notice soreness and cramping, but did not equate it to the MSM. I have a degenerative joint disorder, so the MSM has worked wonders for my knees and elbows (I stopped taking pain killers altogether).

I just bought a flax oil/evening primrose oil mixture. If that works on the "girls" as well, I'll double up on that as well. I neeed all the help I can get in that area!

Gryphyn

I'm on Alesse (birth control) and I get very regular periods. When I started taking MSM I would get my periods like 2 or 3 days early and they would be very light.

kitkat3ny

I've been on MSM for the past 4mths and for the past 3mths my periods have been more frequently, less less painful and extremely light. I just hate that it's more frequent spotting.

MrsHouston

Thanks for posting this. It might be the reason my period came a week early for the first time in my life. I'm not sure if it's the MSM, Biotin, or Evening Primose oil. Maybe all 3.

just to update on this, im gonna continue this dose of MSM (2000 mg a day) for one more cycle and see what happens,, I DEFINITELY had something weird going there, heavier and lonnnnnger:mad: than usual, and my emotions were out of control just like with the evening primrose oil , im all better now but theres no way i could deal with that monthly:(, hopefully ill get used to the msm and maybe it wont mess with my hormones like that becuz its really helping me in other ways...

Vshanell

FKA Pokahontas
Ok im glad i asked this,, i see some others are having these symptoms also, im gonna watch and see if i go down to normal size once my period is over,, I also noticed some spotting just a couple of days b4 i shouldve,, I have to say I find this a tad worrying becuz how do we all know that this stuff isnt messing with out hormones in a way thats unhealthy , like exposing us to too much of something that could result in cancer,, sorry to be a drag on this but its important to keep your eyes open and listen to your body,, I think its wise to speak get a professional opinion on this and I hope to do that soon,, any input anyone??
I've been noticing spotting way before I'm supposed to but I don't take msm, I only take biotin. I wonder if biotin does the same thing. I never even thought that that could've been the problem. I don't want to give up my biotin.

Vshanell

FKA Pokahontas
kitkat3ny said:
I've been on MSM for the past 4mths and for the past 3mths my periods have been more frequently, less less painful and extremely light. I just hate that it's more frequent spotting.
Same here with the frequent spotting. It's really getting on my nerves.

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
nomoweavesfome said:
girl - I'm taking Biotin too. I'm probably on system overload. is there a such thing as too healthy? But i thought the body takes what it needs and disgards the rest as far as Vitamins are concerned?
Ask yourself these questions... does your body need MSM and Biotin? Do you have a deficiency of MSM or Biotin? If not, and you are having bad symptoms from taking these, you should stop taking them. Also ask yourself, why are you really taking MSM and Biotin and is it really worth it? HTH!

ETA: Is it normal to be experiencing irregular periods like this with MSM? Can it do any harm to your body? :confused: I have been thinking about taking MSM because of the benefits but I dunno now.

Last edited:
thats so weird that biotin is causing similar symptoms:confused:,, i really need to ask a doc about that, tho i doubt i get anywhere, btw Pokhantas your hair is soooo long in your siggy pic,,looks beautiful:)

Sweetcoco82

I went to see my OB for my BC shot and i took a bottle with me to ask her about it. I mentioned to her what i read on here about it causing extra spotting and heavier periods. She said it shouldn't mess with my birth control and that she never heard of MSM having any affects on your cycle. I have to talk to my sons doctor about me taking it since i breastfeed but i do want to try it for my sore joints, not really for my hair.

secretdiamond

same here with the cycle. I think my period came earlier and it's DEFINITELY lighter. There's hardly anything coming out! And I only started back with MSM last week!

I think that the lighter flows are the reason for the increase in frequency of periods, so that the body can still get the same amount out. I guess? :ohwell:

gglory

I've been taking MSM off and on for a while now and just recently started back taking biotin. I too have notice more fuller, tender breast( especially the nipple part). Now I just attributed it to my cycle about to come on. It's been a week now and I'm just now seeing some spotting. I usually take large doses of MSM and have not notice this happening before. And in the past when I was taking biotin along with my other vitamins I didn't notice this. I'm leaning towards the biotin causing these symptoms in my case but I'm not certain.

chiprecious

EXCELLENT THREAD!!! My first month of taking MSM, I started to think I was pregnant! I'm on BC so I'm like clockwork, but not with the MSM! I was late, but it was lighter and shorter which was cool.
I also started taking the Nioxin vitamins and now I have spotting!!! Spotting 2 weeks before is so not cool and I do believe it's the different herbs that cause our cycles so be thrown off. I looked up some of the herbs and they have a direct effect on our hormones. That I don't need. I only tried them because they were cheaper than the Andrew Lessman's but I don't need nothing else other than the BC affecting my hormones.

However I'm glad to know it'd the vitamins and not just me since you ladies are experiencing the same thing. I was begining to think something was wrong with me and go to the GYNO.

Vshanell

FKA Pokahontas
thats so weird that biotin is causing similar symptoms:confused:,, i really need to ask a doc about that, tho i doubt i get anywhere, btw Pokhantas your hair is soooo long in your siggy pic,,looks beautiful:)
Thank you. Yeah, the doctors don't seem to know too much about vitamins so I don't know if you'll get anywhere either.

MissYocairis

Yes. I spot now. Which, I am 36 and NEVER spotted in all my life of menstruating. Also, my breasts become swollen a week and a half before period time. But, they look good, so I don't mind it. :eek:)

MrsHouston

Ok, I started taking MSM on a regular basis (everyday in my water). Plus I take a different biotin (my dermatologist prescribed it for me). Guess what, my period didn't come... it's like a week late. I went to the doctor two days ago to have a pregnacy test, it was negative. So where is my period?:confused: