Everyday Oiling

krissyhair

Who is doing it? The quality of my hair has improved drastically since I started oiling my hair daily. My favorite by far is jojoba oil. It moisturizes (yes I said this oil adds moisture to my hair) and adds sheen and softness and the oil completely absorbs.

Coconut oil works very well too. It completely absorbs into my hair but it's a pain in the butt to work with in this cold climate.

Olive oil completely TRANSFORMED my hair. I didn't even recognize it after I began oiling with olive every day for a week. But it doesn't absorb easily and can make my hair greasy.

I also believe that since I've been doing this, my hair has grown and thickened up. My grandma nearly dropped her jaw when I was combing/twisting my hair in front of her. She said "didn't you just get a haircut last month?"

This is the blog of a young Indian woman who oiled her hair everyday for a year and inspired me to do the same. Her hair growth is lovely.

http://makeupandbeautyhome.com/2013/06/my-one-year-hair-growth-before-after-pictures.html

Nix08

Relaxed, 4B
I have started oiling my scalp and hair several times a week for the last 9 weeks and I swear that my hair has gotten thicker. I have also introduced henna in that time frame and ayurvedic oils.

soonergirl

Ditto here!!! I have transitioned to just using oil as my leave in. Seeing where this takes me...

Sholapie

Yep, I started oiling everyday a few weeks ago. My favourite oil is evco. I have incorporated a few heavy oiling sessions too before I shampoo and I love that too. My only issue is using a light hand in the day to day.

krissyhair

I also like to wear half up half down hair styles. But sometimes I get breakage at the base of my ponytail holder so I oil my roots at the crown and my breakage has stopped there.

mshoneyfly

I oil my scalp about 1-2 times a week with JBCO. I love it cus its not runny at all and coats my hair with a sorta protective layer. I have stopped using heat protectant since JBCO. I put it on each section of hair before flat ironing and I get a thick, shiny finish.

I can put a little on the scalp, massage and it spreads all the way to the ends. Last night I prepooed the scalp with safflower for the ceramide benefits.

Nix08 The henna is def contributing to your thickness but oiling the scalp improves the quality of the new hair as it grows in. I LOVE this HHJ!!

Last edited:

niknakmac

i use evoo. i love that it actually penetrates the hair shaft and does not leave my hair greasy.

Froreal3

haulin hard in the paint
I prepoo with coconut oil and use ceramide oils on my hair several times a week. I have also soaked my ends in oil and that really helped keep them soft.

Froreal3

haulin hard in the paint
Can you list the oils you use and which ones are ceramides ?

I was using grapeseed oil for quite a while. The shine from this is incredible. I am currently using sunflower oil. I also used an oil blend from a hair company that had wheat germ oil as the second or so ingredient.

I use the sunflower oil right now to seal after refreshing my hair.

Ogoma

I use water to massage an oil mix through my hair and scalp after rinsing out my conditioner. I do this about 3x a week. I love it! My hair is so shiny and it helps minimize frizz.

TeeBee

YES! I've been oiling if not everyday, every other. I've been using KeraVada oils exclusively for the past few weeks, and oh my WOW what a difference! My hair is moisturized, shiny, tangles and knots have been dramatically reduced, my hair is thicker, silkier, and just overall better since I have been using oils. I use it to pre-poo/deep condition, scalp massages, and refreshing my braid outs.

Black Ambrosia

This is interesting. It sounds like some of you are oiling the scalp and some are doing the hair and others are doing both. In the past I only put products on my hair before I applied heat but I use heat so infrequently after straightening so I almost never put anything on my hair now. I may start applying jojoba oil to my roots because they seem to be drier than usual lately. Is there a technique that works best? Are you applying oil to the roots/scalp area using a bottle with a nozzle or are you putting oil on your fingertips and then massaging the scalp? Doing something else?

krissyhair

I wanted to add a few journal articles in this oil thread just to make it more official. I don't want to get in trouble with copyrights and all that so I'll just post the name of the articles, journals, dates and a few excerpts. You can look up the journals for yourselves.

Asian Journal of Pharmaceutical & Clinical Research. Oct-Dec2012, Vol. 5 Issue 4, p62-64. 3p. 6

Patients using SESA oil showed a marked improvement (87.5 %) in hair & scalp related ailments. The article also showed that it is 5x more effective than coconut oil.

SESA oil is an Ayurveda product. I was going to post a video but it's not in English and I sho' can't understand it so why bother.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZazTwP5Zow

krissyhair

Journal: International Journal of Polymer Analysis & Characterization. Jan2012, Vol. 17 Issue 1, p21-28. 8p.

Article: Distribution Analysis of Triglyceride Having Repair Effect on Damaged Human Hair by TOF-SIMS.

Basic Summary (I'm not posting the abstracts for the articles, just a summary):

hydrogenated palm oil is an effective hair conditioner because it stops damaged hair from swelling with water. They also found that tripalmitin, a component of hydrogenated palm oil can penetrate the cortex and inner layers of hair.

krissyhair

Article: Effects of oil films on moisture vapor absorption on human hair

Journal: International Journal of Cosmetic Science. Feb2008, Vol. 30 Issue 1, p73-74. 2p.

Summary: Coconut oil-treated hair had a higher regain of moisture than mineral oil-treated hair in a test with water vapor. Water could still penetrate the fibers even with oil on the hair. Hair treated with oils shows slightly higher moisture retention at low relative humidities than untreated hair. Oil films will slow the loss of moisture, an effect similar to ‘moisturization’ of hair.

Ogoma

I use fractionated coconut oil in my oil mix. It contains medium chain triglycerides and is non-acnegenic for me unlike regular coconut oil.

Last edited:

krissyhair

There's another article in International Journal of Cosmetic Science. Apr2010, Vol. 32 Issue 2, p160-160. 1p. that talked about the effectiveness of 5 different Brazilian oils and butters. But I couldn't find the full text, only the abstract so I can't really summarize it well for you. It doesn't even say which oils they used in the abstract.

However, it does say that they tested different mechanical properties like split forming, combing force and glossiness. They found that oil treated hair has benefits in combing force.

I can attest to that personally. If I thoroughly oil my hair while wet and comb later after it's dry, combing is a breeze.

They also said that using butters on your hair (once again, doesn't list the butters) don't really effect those tensile (of or relating to tension) properties. The only butter tested that DOES have a positive effect was ucuúba butter. I really wish I could tell you which butters they said weren't effective because they only tested 5, so I don't want to speculate on that.

krissyhair

I've still been oiling everyday since I started this thread. It helps to naturally stretch my hair out. I look like I used a blow dryer.

Daily oiling and one pin buns for the win.

so1913

When you say everyday oiling, are you doing heavy oiling or just applying a small amount of oil to the hair daily?

I've been doing heavy overnight oiling once a week with Mahabhringraj oil for going on 2 months and my hair has responded extremely well. On a daily basis or when needed I add a dab of coconut oil when refreshing my hair in the morning. Using these oils has definitely improved the quality of my hair.

Lissa0821

Yes, I oil my hair every day. I have a small spray bottle and I spray Moska oil in my crown area (just two squirts). I then massage this oil all over my entire scalp, every night. I Have to keep my crown as moist as possible because it is very brittle and breaks easily.

Lovestyr

I currently have just africas best herbal oil. I'm using this up to clean up room for bf stuff, but I oil my ends only every night.

I plan on buying more oils from hh and claudies

krissyhair

When you say everyday oiling, are you doing heavy oiling or just applying a small amount of oil to the hair daily?

I've been doing heavy overnight oiling once a week with Mahabhringraj oil for going on 2 months and my hair has responded extremely well. On a daily basis or when needed I add a dab of coconut oil when refreshing my hair in the morning. Using these oils has definitely improved the quality of my hair.

I use just enough to lubricate the dry parts of my scalp, nape, edges and the ends of my hair. Then afterwards I pull my hair into a bun or other style.

Does your hair start to smell like the oil? I used to do this but got bothered by the oil smell.

Maybe if you use an oil with a fragrance or a really perfume-y smell. I don't get bothered by the smell of olive oil, and coconut oil fades. Jojoba doesn't have a scent.

However, I enjoy the smell of 10% sandalwood oil in jojoba on my scalp. It soothes and smells really nice. I may try lavender too.

youwillrise

i started daily oiling my scalp/hair a few weeks ago. really liking it. what i do is, i oil my scalp/hair and cover it with plastic for a while (usually when i get home from work)...then at night, i condition rinse my hair.

niknakmac

Do you have thick strands? How much do you use?

krissyhair my strands aren't thick but they are also not fine. I guess just regular. I usually use about a table spoon for the top half of my hair and another tablespoon for the ends.

when I am deep into my stretch I also use it on the new growth to soften it up.