Is oiling scalp needed for hair to thrive???

Britt

I read on another hair board and have heard different opinions and thoughts from many people that oiling the scalp with essential oils is needed for hair to thrive. Is this true? Oils and my hair DO NOT agree, it makes my hair look thinner, no matter how light the oil is.

KinksnCurlz

According to the stylist I went to this weekend, our hair/scalp produces the necessary oils needed to thrive on its own and excessive scalp oiling, no matter how light, leads to clogged pores which lead to no growth.

keiron

i oil my scalp with olive oil but i try to rubb it in just by massaging my scalp but if i dont i get dry scalp so i have no choice it has to be done.

sweetcocoa

I haven't oiled my scalp in 2 years. No flakes or itching. Since I started shampooing or rinsing at least 3 times a week, I haven't needed to. I also make sure to lightly shampoo or rinse my scalp after I exercise.

Allandra

I haven't oiled my scalp in a LONG time (since October 2000). I have a very oily scalp, so that's enough oil for me.

lala

The only time I oil my scalp is when I'm close to retouch time. My scalp gets extremely dry during this period.

soslychic

My scalp tends to get dry and flake a little so I oil it only when necesary which is not very often. I dont' oil it just to be oiling it.

JavaLoKa

I haven't oiled my scalp since I was a teen, and I'm almost 39. I seen an Oprah show years ago, where her and her stylist were begging us to stop "greasing" our scalps, saying it clogs the pores (as CamamelHonee mentioned), and that a little oil on the hair itself if needed, and a good conditioner was all that was really necessary, to maintain natural oil balance. Many people firmly believe in oiling their scalp, but for my daughter, she's 10 (beautiful hair, never had her scalp oiled) and myself I choose not to oil the scalp. We lightly apply essential oils to the hair when wet.

MissM

Sometimes in the winter I use in essential oil, but I don't oil on a regular basis. I agree with Andre..it cloggs the pores and hinders growth. But for some people they swear by it.

KinksnCurlz

[ QUOTE ]
Sorry about the typo in your name CaramelHonee, when I posted above.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's okay sweetie
, I knew that you were talking about me.

I

irie

We don't need to oil our scalps. Biologically speaking, we have sebaceous glands attached to each hair strand. Meaning that each follicle is moisturized naturally with our own sebum (or oil). The problem is that we have a coily texture (in the case of naturals) which makes it hard for our sebum to work its way to the ends of our hair so actual strands probably DO need oil. In the case of relaxed hair, the chemicals tend to dry out the hair and have an effect on our scalp so if you are relaxed you may need to oil your scalp lightly and as needed. BUT NOT WITH ANYTHING THAT CONTAINS MINERAL OIL, PETROLEUM, LANOLIN, CASTOR OIL, or anything else the is excessively heavy. HTH

soslychic

What about the Healthier Hair in a Bottle oil? I've never tried it, but I'm thinking about purchasing it. Would that be excessviely heavy?

Also, wild growth oil?

Britt

I agree that oiling the scalp is not needed for the hair to thrive. I will just moisturize the hair itself, which I think is important.

PrettyBrownEyes

I only oil my scalp when my hair is braided, that is the only time it seems dry, maybe because it is exposed to the air (the partings).

Jenai

[ QUOTE ]
I haven't oiled my scalp since I was a teen, and I'm almost 39. I seen an Oprah show years ago, where her and her stylist were begging us to stop "greasing" our scalps, saying it clogs the pores (as CamamelHonee mentioned), and that a little oil on the hair itself if needed, and a good conditioner was all that was really necessary, to maintain natural oil balance.

[/ QUOTE ]

I remember Oprah saying that on her show one day!!!!

That was the day (about 8-10 years ago) that I stopped greasing and oiling my scalp! My mom said I was crazy for stopping, but then she stopped putting heavy pomades and oils on her scalp too. I wonder if Oprah knows how many Black Women listen to her hair advice. "Oprah oil" anyone? Hey, if others can why not her? LOL

EmeraldSky

For about a month I've been applying a mixture of castor oil, peppermint oil and rosemary to my scalp, otherwise I don't use grease or heavy pomades. Does that mixure count as clogging the scalp? I figured that because they are natural/essentials oils they will absorb and be beneficial, but now I'm wondering if it's bad.

Wanda

Well I guess I'm just as guilty as Emeraldsky because I apply that same type of essential oil mixture weekly before my wash and my hair always turns out nice. I still have the same question though. Will it clog my pores?

Brownie

[ QUOTE ]
Well I guess I'm just as guilty as Emeraldsky because I apply that same type of essential oil mixture weekly before my wash and my hair always turns out nice. I still have the same question though. Will it clog my pores?

[/ QUOTE ]

I use that same mixture, with a couple other things added. Instead of using straight castor oil, I also mix wheatgerm oil and a lighter hot 6 oil (Africa's Best) to thin the consistancy. I also do scalp and hair rinses every night, usually with water and ACV. When my hair's straight, I like applying a little extra virgin olive oil to the length at night. It makes my hair look so shiny. I'd say if something works for you, continue it. If it doesn't, then try something different, but sometimes everything doesn't work for everybody.

Tracy

my answer is no. I will never and have never oiled my scalp. it depends on the scalp and the hair and the person involved.

BabyCurls

Indy Girl Growing Strong
<font color="purple">I think from my experience that oiling the scalp is really not what I like to do firsthand. I haven't been doing it ever since joining this board. It's really not worth it at all. As long as I rinse or condition wash my hair daily, I don't ever need any oils in my hair or on my scalp, unless I use a little of the oil in my homemade conditioners and pre-treatments. </font>

love2praz

Every since I stopped putting any oil directly on my scalp and started condition-washing and rinsing daily, I no longer have scalp issues. In general, I had a dry scalp but now that I take Evening Primrose oil capsules and Vit. E capsules, my scalp gets all the oil it needs!

marabou1

I used to oil my scalp all the time because it was very dry, but now that I wash my hair more often, I don't use it as much. I just oil my hair.

I haven't tried the daily conditioning washes yet.