Am I wasting my time oiling my hair without adding water first?

blasianbeauty

Is oiling my hair and puting it in a protective style useless if I don't add water to it first? I'm asking because there was a thread yesterday that basically said that if you don't have water in your hair (which is true moisture) before adding your hair oil, then you are not moisturizing the hair because the oil will just sit on the shaft and not penetrate through. So basically, I'm wasting my hair oil because it's just sitting on my hair, right? :look:

It depends on your hair.

Technically speaking it won't do any good for moisturizing.

Personally, I don't apply oils to my dry hair because they don't make my hair feel moisturized (they do make it shinier) and even small amounts tends to get my hair greasy.

but other people's hair seems to love oil and claim to get moisturizing and conditioning affect from using it alone.

You know your hair best. In any case if your hair is already moisturized, it won't hurt to try it and see the results.

Is oiling my hair and puting it in a protective style useless if I don't add water to it first? I'm asking because there was a thread yesterday that basically said that if you don't have water in your hair (which is true moisture) before adding your hair oil, then you are not moisturizing the hair because the oil will just sit on the shaft and not penetrate through. So basically, I'm wasting my hair oil because it's just sitting on my hair, right? :look:

Actually MY whole point on the thread is that there is benefit without water still and if you look through it again, certain oils ARE proven to absorb, so they dont just seal. But yes water can/does help , typically you need a balance of both

Oil is not a moisturizer, it's only a sealer or just lubrication. The only oil that penetrates the hair is olive oil, and that's best to use as a hot oil treatment. If you want a true moisturizer use a product that the first ingredient is some kind of water. Also a better moisturizer is one that doesn't have mineral oil, and petroleum in it.

Oil is not a moisturizer, it's only a sealer or just lubrication. The only oil that penetrates the hair is olive oil, and that's best to use as a hot oil treatment. If you want a true moisturizer use a product that the first ingredient is some kind of water. Also a better moisturizer is one that doesn't have mineral oil, and petroleum in it.

Actually other oils have also been proven to absorb

Other natural oils penetrate that hair as well. Jojoba, avocado, apricot... probably tons more.

It doesn't ONLY seal, it can penetrate the hair and condition it (which is why a lot of women add oils to their deep conditioners), but I agree it doesn't moisturize.

It depends on your hair.

Personally, I don't apply oils to my dry hair because they don't make my hair feel moisturized (they do make it shinier) and even small amounts tends to get my hair greasy.

but other people's hair seems to love oil and claim to get moisturizing and conditioning affect from using it alone.

You know your hair best. In any case if your hair is already moisturized, it won't hurt to try it and see the results.

lol girl we will be using this 'technically' word alot now :grin:

It depends on your hair.

I just added water to the ends of my hair anf re-applied my Hot Six Oil...I'll see how this works and if I can tell a difference...

I wanted to add that when tffy2004 was in the relaxed world, that's all she did was oil her hair and her hair was GORGEOUS, still is.. I think it does add benifits as well.

I don't add moisturizer or water before oiling my hair. I wash twice a week and use oils daily to maintain my hairs health. However, If I wash only once a week I will use a moisturizer a few times during the week before oiling.

It really depends on your hair and how in retains moisture. You may not need to add water before oiling. I know if I just use water and then seal with oil my hair would be hard and greasy. I have to co-wash or deep condition in order to retain moisture and my moisturizers post wash (if needed) must contain water & butter.

Back