type 4A&B relaxed.. how long do u normally stretch??

4 A&B relaxed, how long do you normally stretch

• 6-8 weeks

Votes: 58 13.1%
  • 8-10 weeks

Votes: 106 23.9%
  • 11-12 weeks

Votes: 139 31.3%
  • 13-16 weeks

Votes: 74 16.7%
  • 16+ (specified)

Votes: 67 15.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

bestblackgirl

Ok.. this is for my relaxed ladies who stretch.. How long does your stretch usually last? And what is the longest stretch you've ever done?

The reason i ask is because I see people stretching for 6 months and I am wondering what type of hair do they have... I stretch for close to 4 months once and i think i had too much breakage, so i am wondering if it was my hair type or something else. I really want to stretch for 5 months.

lexi84

I stretch up to 12 weeks and never relax befor 10. My longest stretch was almost 4 months.

preciousstone

this is my first real stretch. i'm 12 weeks post but i'm in a very bad way - in terms of breakage... am new at this so i think eventually i'll figure out how to do it w/out breakage.

Sunshyn3

I used to relax every 12 weeks so that's 4 times a year. It was good but I'd rather do it sooner and spare the extra two weeks of dealing with new growth..lol. Now I'm starting to relax every 10 weeks.

doll-baby

I was just thinking about this. My hair is a 4b/z and I tried stretching for 11 weeks and had breakage. So now I relax at either 9 or 10 weeks depending on my schedule.

Musicachic

I am still new to the whole stretching thing myself... But the further along I get in the stretch the less I can do and manipulating it too much while wet becomes difficult. If I use the right conditioners and leave ins I can mess with it once it is dry. I usually can't attempt to do a mid or high ponytail or bun with my hair wet and I have a lot of new growth. I always have to keep things low. I am trying to find ways to do more protective styles while stretching that will not always be so boring. It does get rough sometimes trying to stretch... no lie!... I can only go so far myself. :hair:

Moniquenuss

Im 4b and my last stretch was 5 months. I was sooo happy with the growth that now im gonna do a 6 month stretch. Basically all I do is wear my own hair for the first 8 weeks and then get a weave or braids on and off for about 8-10 weeks then I henna every 2 weeks after that. I found that hennaing really really helps me! it makes my NG soft enough for me to comb it into a ponytail and tie it down to dry. I moisturize 2x a day as well when I get to like week 16. by then my my hair looks a mess so I rock my head bands! Hope this helps you ladies

preciousstone

Im 4b and my last stretch was 5 months. I was sooo happy with the growth that now im gonna do a 6 month stretch. Basically all I do is wear my own hair for the first 8 weeks and then get a weave or braids on and off for about 8-10 weeks then I henna every 2 weeks after that. I found that hennaing really really helps me! it makes my NG soft enough for me to comb it into a ponytail and tie it down to dry. I moisturize 2x a day as well when I get to like week 16. by then my my hair looks a mess so I rock my head bands! Hope this helps you ladies

sorry if this is a dumb question but... what's henna.. does it straighten you ng? Also, do you do box braids or corn rows? And do you do one set of braids or 2?
thanks

MizzBrown

I used to relax every 8 weeks. Type 4 hair.

Longest stretch was 23 weeks but I had help cause i was in braids for about 2 months.

Tiffanyantt

Three months is normally my max!! I just hit five months post(FEb16th) *STANDING OVATION PLEASE* This is a HUGE deal for me and my 4A-Z hair!!! NO BREAKAGE!!!...Just my regular shedding that you get in between washes. Moisturizing like a Crazed Woman has made this stretch OH SO EASY for me..Oh and being SUPER Patient while detangling.

girlcherokee

i just finished a 6mth(almost 7) stretch - i hated it, mainly because i could not figure out how to manage my new growth - had a lot of tangling matting and in the end lost quite a bit of hair to it - also, i could not figure out how to make my hair look decent after the 3rd or 4th month - so now that i figured out how to relax my sensative scalp without burning, i am pretty sure that i will be relaxing every 12 weeks.

taj

I'm in the process of a 6 month stretch. I'm due for a relaxer in March. The longest stretch that I've done without damage or breakage is 1 year.

Esq.2B

I relax every 8 to 10 weeks. I have fine strands and it starts shedding waaay too much if I try to stretch further.

Highly Favored8

I am 4b fine when my hair is relaxed.However, I was natural most of my life. When I started doing relaxers a few years back I was going every 4-6 weeks. Then 8-10 weeks then 12-14. So, now I think I am going to stick with every six months for now. My hair likes it I have less breakage and just do not bother my ng. in 2010 Lord Willing I will go back to natural. I will see.

The Princess

The longest I stretch was 12.. But I doubt if I will do that again. Cause when it was time to relax, it was hard for me to even part my hair, to base the scalp, so next time it will be between 10-12. They say stretching get better with time. I will try for 12 again, but if it get to ruff, I will close out early. But no earlier than 10 weeks.

The Princess

Three months is normally my max!! I just hit five months post(FEb16th) *STANDING OVATION PLEASE* This is a HUGE deal for me and my 4A-Z hair!!! NO BREAKAGE!!!...Just my regular shedding that you get in between washes. Moisturizing like a Crazed Woman has made this stretch OH SO EASY for me..Oh and being SUPER Patient while detangling.

Yeah that is a must!!!

Avaya

My hair is 4a/b and the longest stretch I've done is 6 months. Actually, I have been stretching my relaxers for 5-6 months for the past 5 years. I have been able to do so by means of wearing braids, bunning, and leaving my new growth alone and keeping it well moisturized.

I am going to start getting a touch up every 3-4 months now because I do not wish to wear braids any longer. My hair is below bra strap and I would like to enjoy it!

ajacks

My longest stretch so far is 26 weeks. I had sew-ins the entire time, so that definitely made it a lot easier. With out the weaves I would probably aim for 16 week stretches.

Moniquenuss

sorry if this is a dumb question but... what's henna.. does it straighten you ng? Also, do you do box braids or corn rows? And do you do one set of braids or 2?
thanks

Henna is a natural powder that is used to condition/color your hair naturally. http://www.hennaforhair.com/ If you mix it with the right stuff you will have pretty soft, dark red hair. When I do braids I normally do individuals and then maybe a weave or cornrows either way it is cornrowed

longhairlover

I can stretch up to a year if I condition my hair right. Right now i'm in my 5th or 6th month (have to check my calendar) and my hair is doing fine. I finally found a conditioner that makes my new growth easy to comb and easy to blow dry (silk elements luxury moisturizing conditioner) this conditioner is great and really makes my hair soft i'm in love :).

I think the key to stretching your relaxer is good shampoos and conditioners and.....the jilbere detangling comb (thanks ladies for that rec.)

SmartyPants

I usually go 8-10 so that's what I picked. I did an eleven week stretch once without any problems and I am on week 7 of a planned 17 week stretch right now. I am trying to do a 17 week stretch because my stylist used a regular relaxer instead of a mild relaxer last time and my hair came out over-processed. I am going to try to do 17 week stretches this year (3 relaxers a year) then do 13 week stretches next year (4 relaxers a year). After that I am planning to settle into 13 week stretches as my normal routine--I like my hair straight.

BioGeekChic

I'm 4a/4b I normally stretch for 12-14 wks but the longest i've gone is 14 months. Regardless of the time frame I try to make sure that I maintain my protein and moisture balance otherwise I will experience serious breakage.

bellecheveux

For me, it was either 12+ at first and now it's 18+. If I'm stretching for more than 18 weeks, I have to wear braids or some type of low manipulation style.

yuriko

My last stretch was 16 weeks, and I am currently going for 20 weeks. So I say 4-5 months is about normal for me. But to be honest after the 10th week, it becomes a real pain with the tangles. So I am getting two full sew ins back to back. Once I can't deal with my hair I stick to sew ins or I cornrow the hair straight back and just wear a fall wig.

I am almost 11 weeks post and already going crazy can't wait for my sew-in next week. But once I get past BSL I will probably reduce my stretches to 12 weeks; its really driving me nuts

My longest was 5 months, I just came back from Hawaii, and I was trying to find a stylist......but also I was not combing my hair, but I couldn't wear my hair the way I wanted, I had tons of new growth, then i stretched to 16 weeks, and then started relaxing on my own, and the relaxer didn't take and then after about 8 weeks, I relaxed again and it didn't take, so I might relaxed again in 3 months, but I'm going to only stretch for 3 months, I can't go pass 3 months, cuz now I'm shedding like no other.......but I'm debating to if I should relax bone straight or just straight....or if I should continue to do my relaxers or go back to my stylist, she likes to cut my hair, and I'm trying to do the whole cut every 2 or 3 years!!!! I have before and it worked pretty good, but I was overprocessing like crazy though.......ok sorry I wrote so much........

cocoagirl

Right now I am on a 6 month stretch currently at 18 weeks (this saturday)post. I have a lot of new growth which means daily root and end moisturization and 2x weekly condish washes. I have shedding which I think is from MT but I would like to incorporate henna into my routine at some point. I think moisture and wetting hair more frequently has been key for me.