Flat ironing is considered Indirect Heat???

PGirl

I was on youtube.com and a stylist named "Askdwayne" was saying that flat ironing with a ceramic iron is "indirect heat". I was shocked at this because I have always thought flat ironing was considered direct heat. So then, I did a google search for "flat irons" and "indirect heat" and up popped an ad for Babyliss flat irons and it was marketed as indirect heat.

http://www.misikko.com/babyliss-tourmaline-flat-iron.html

I know heat is heat and too much is always bad.... but this just didn't make sense to me so I thought I would ask the hair experts to see if I am crazy. If flat ironing is indirect heat then maybe it isn't much worse than a hood dryer???? How can that be?

Could this mean that a Chi (or other true ceramic) flat iron 1x per week perhaps isn't as bad as I thought???

msa

I really don't see how a flat iron that touches your hair directly could ever be considered indirect heat.

Isn't he a member here?

2grlsandme

I am waiting to hear the pros chime in on this one:perplexed I stay away from the flat iron like the plague but i sure ove how my hair feels when I do:grin:

Tarae

Did the youtube video explain why/how a flat iron is indirect heat? I've never heard that before. I'm not buying it.

PGirl

Did the youtube video explain why/how a flat iron is indirect heat? I've never heard that before. I'm not buying it.

In the comments section, someone asked him a question about pressing roots. He wrote in the comments section that she could flat iron occasionally because it's indirect heat.

I'm not sayin...I'm just sayin....that blew my mind...

Last edited:

MizzBrown

You're putting an iron to a section of your hair at nearly 450 degrees, holding it there for 3 seconds and then dragging it down your hair once, sometimes 3 passes.

It don't get any more direct than that. It's an IRON!

I got a new flat iron and i have to will myself not to use it more than 1-2 times a week on my NG.

Doesn't matter if you buy that nice $400 flat iron with solid ceramic plates. Its still an iron.

TaurusAngel

Flat ironing isn't indirect heat, but maybe it will have the same effect as indirect heat when using a heat protectant. I don't know. I know i flat iron weekly and have had no ill effects.

ETA: Dwayne is a member on this board.

msa

Flat ironing isn't indirect heat, but maybe it will have the same effect as indirect heat when using a heat protectant. I don't know. I know i flat iron weekly and have had no ill effects.

ETA: Dwayne is a member on this board.

I thought so...I just wasn't sure if it was the same person.

That's that okie doke. :look:

yuriko

I read traycee's blog often, and I remember that he had adviced her to rollerset more often and flatiron once in a while, because rollersetting is indirect heat. I am pretty sure that that is what was on her blog. lol. Hopefully she can come and chime in on this one

PGirl

Someone better tell DWayne to get in here and xplain himself huh? LOL

Sent him a PM...:rolleyes:

Here is a quote of his comments -- copied and pasted from his video comments about pressing....

Start Quote..."Honestly the best method would be to use a "true" creamic flat iron to press those roots, as opposed to applying direct heat. Real ceramic flts are really a form of "indirect" heat."...End Quote

I didn't say it...he did..but I have no idea why? I won't change my habits, I can only do it 1x a week, but it is a change in what I have read on the forum if it's true.

Last edited:

indefinite

Maybe he's from the old school when they used to put the marcels and flat irons in the little stove. He might have been comparing the technology of ceramic to taking the iron out touching it on wet towel then puttting it on your hair.

Artemis

Compared to marcels, ceramic/tourmaline heat is more indirect molecularly than marcels, as infrared heat is used to style and manipulate the hair. But in lay terms, and everyday understanding flat ironing is direct heat, even if it is less damaging than marcels.

Hopefully Dwayne can stop by and clarify what he meant. When dealing with the public, that's a dangerous statement :perplexed

Solitude

I agree that a flat iron is direct heat. It clearly touches your hair. If it's not direct heat, then nothing is. I've heard of this "askdwayne" person before, but I haven't checked him out.

ETA: Speaking of Marcels, I always liked them better than flat irons. I hate that people don't use them like they used to!

Last edited:

TaurusAngel

Hmm... he said "true" ceramic flat iron. Maybe theres a difference? I don't know. But i do know that in Traycee's vid, she said that he advised her on rollersetting. Maybe it was a typo. Lets not jump to conclusions.

Lucky's Mom

If flat ironing is indirect heat that what the world is direct heat....burning it with a lighter? :giggle:

:lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen:

Well, In the Bad old days.... When I left the shop - I remember my hair smelling like FIRE.....:burning::burning: Alcohol, and a 500 degree Marcel.. That will make you bald.

NO THANKS....

TrustMeLove

Interesting. I wonder if this person was thinking about using a stove pressing comb to get the roots and he advised them to use a ceramic flat iron because it's better for the hair. Maybe just used the wrong terminology.

ShiShiPooPoo

I need to know for real because if I have been walking around the last 1 1/2 years looking like Great Aunt Maybel after rollersetting when I could have been sleek using my flatiron, I'm gonna be mad!:lachen:

PGirl

Ok I heard back from Dwayne...here are is comments...

"Hey PGirl, what I said was that using a TRUE CERAMIC flat iron was a form of indirect heat! Ceramic/metal 'ceramic flat irons aren't. That's why it's important to INVEST in a real ceramic flat iron (100+) or over time, your hair will pay the price!"

So he is saying that a true professional ceramic iron (i.e. the Chi?) is considered Indirect Heat....the cheaper ones which are mostly metal are direct heat.

All in all, too much is too much no matter what source of heat. I always use moderation with heat, plus I deep condition, add protein regularly and I henna monthy. I always make sure my hair is moisturized too. So maybe all of this in combination with a professional grade iron helps.

I'm on my way to APL and my Chi is going with me.:grin:

Tee

You all are in here cutting up. :lol:

But ummm, flat ironing is direct heat. No ifs, ands, or buts about it.