Flat ironing and heat protectant

Krymsonkween

I flat iron at least 3x per week. I also co-wash 2x per week. Should I use a heat protectant everytime I flat iron or what. I just bought the Helen Troy Hot Shot Tools ceramic flat ion.

Can someone help me to make sure I don't get the slpit end from flat ironing that everyone talks about.

SuchMagnificent

Taking a Break from Posting
Yikes! You should definitely use a heat protectant..I happen to love Silk Elements Olive oil heat protectant..Also, I think flat ironing three times a week isnt doing you any good..

You should definitely be using a heat protectant evertyime you use heat on your hair. If I were you I would stop flatironing 3x a week. That is definitely too much heat.

Ivy Santolina

I use Pureology Antifade Complex Super Straight Relaxing Hair Serum when I blow-dry straight my hair. Also, I co-wash my hair prior to applying direct heat. It's important your hair is clean prior to thermal straightening. Lastly, I recently read on NaturallyCurly.com that glycerin transmits heat. So if you use a leave-in product that contains glycerin then a heat protectant layer is a must.

Krymsonkween

Thanks ladies I have neck length hair and don't know how to style without using heat. I try to wrap but that doesn't comeout good. I have did youtube for tutorials but my wrap comes out kinda bushy and stringy looking on one side and it has no definition.

Help.

Solitude

OP, if your goal is to grow your hair longer, then as the other ladies have said, three times a week is probably too much. Have you noticed any dryness or splitting of your ends? It's not just the heat; it's also the build-up of product on your hair in between washings and using the heat on top of that product together than can be a problem. Some ladies here flat-iron/ blowdry 1x per week and it is usually on freshly washed hair. (with the leave-ins & heat protectant)

When my hair was about neck-length, I wrapped & did pin curls. Pin curls alternated with wrapping keeps your hair from getting flat. You can also do rollers at the top & wrap the rest of your hair. The rollers add body. Happy hair growing! :grin:

FemmeCreole

Island Gyal
I flat iron at least 3x per week. I also co-wash 2x per week. Should I use a heat protectant everytime I flat iron or what. I just bought the Helen Troy Hot Shot Tools ceramic flat ion.

Can someone help me to make sure I don't get the slpit end from flat ironing that everyone talks about.

Thanks ladies I have neck length hair and don't know how to style without using heat. I try to wrap but that doesn't comeout good. I have did youtube for tutorials but my wrap comes out kinda bushy and stringy looking on one side and it has no definition.

Help.
wow....as the other ladies said 3x a week may be excessive. Also yes you should use heat protectant everytime you flat iron. I use silk elements heat protectant.

Since you say you hair is necklength it shouldn't be a problem to flat iron at least once a week and wrap for the rest of the week. Just try to get your wrapping technique together and you'll be fine.

naturalmanenyc

I use Sabino Moisture Block but I do not flat iron often. I actually shampooed/conditioned and flat ironed my edges yesterday (I'm using a half wig). I flat twisted my edges for bed. I won't flat iron again until I shampoo.

I've read that flat ironing on clean hair more healthy.

Lady S

Yes, definitely use a heat protectant and use the lowest temperature that's effective. There are so many cheap & effective protectants on the market, your hair will thank you for it.

KLomax

:imo: 3 times a week :pullhair::pullhair::pullhair::pullhair:

a heat protectant is a MUST !! I like Sabino Moisture Block.