Direct vs Indirect Heat

Mrs.Pretty08

I have a question. What is the real difference between direct and indirect heat. I know that a curling iron, flat iron, a blow dryer is direct heat, but I have seen that a hooded dryer is not. I like to use "hot rollers" to style my hair on Sundays sometimes. I usually use these Remeginton All That rollers. I love them, and I get really beautiful curls that move and are bouncy.

Are these bad for your hair, and is it direct or indirect heat?

trj1922

I'm not an expert on hot rollers as when I used them, they didn't really work. I would say the represent indirect heat because the heating element is not contained within the curler but in the base and the part of the roller that holds the heat is generally some kind of core that is covered with rubber, plastic, silicone, whatever and does not come in direct contact with your hair. I doubt that they get hot enough to do any real damage.

Neith

Direct heat is worse for your hair because those instruments get VERY hot. On top of that, if used improperly and left to sit on any section for more than a few seconds, you get spots that have more damage than others.

A hooded dryer is hot, but not as hot as a flat iron. You can sit under it and not be burned. It's significantly cooler. Also the heat is more evenly distributed. There are no hot spots that scorch parts of your hair.

Hot rollers are direct heat, but usually they are much better for your hair than curling irons, flat irons and blow dryers. They aren't as hot (you can handle them with your hands) and they don't singe your hair.

Also, quite a few models use steam. Wet heat is much better for the hair than dry heat.

I don't think that the rollers will damage your hair if used in moderation.

Even a hooded dryer could damage your hair eventually if used every single day.

I would be sure to use a heat protectant/serum every time I use the rollers, keep your hair conditioned, clean and moisturized... and just remember... everything in moderation.

You should be fine :)

Look into those steam rollers if you haven't. Lots of people love them here.

Mrs.Pretty08

Thanks guys. How often do you think is good because like I said I like to wear it on Sundays, but every Sunday too much. I love how my hair looks when I use them. I have heard about Caruso, and I have seen them in the store. I might ask for some for Christmas...yeah, that's exactly what I will do.