Is using the blow dryer indirect heat

leona2025

I completely eliminated using a blow dryer from my reggie and I haven't owned one for almost 2 years, but I'm wondering if it's considered indirect heat?

Libra08

If you use it on the cool I don't see it as direct heat and the results are a lot better as well.

leona2025

Thanks Ladies. When I use to use one, I would just rip through my hair with a comb and didn't use heat protectant or moisturize. I would loose so much hair. I was thinking since it was hot air and not directly applied to the hair like a flat iron it would be indirect. I might try using one again in the future.

PGirl

I thought it was considered direct heat. But that doesn't mean you can't do it safely.

soulie

I was thinking about this over the weekend. When I blowdry, I am constantly moving the dryer over my hair, and the whole process is less than 20 minutes. When I sit under the Pibbs, that heat is constant and blowing on all of my hair for a prolonged period. So I was sort of thinking of them as reversed from the accepted practice.

Faith

I don't see how a blowdryer is direct heat yet a hooded dryer is not? Some of the hooded dryers get hotter than a blowryer. You sit under them almost dying for hours. :ohwell:

PinkSkates

1. My blow dryer: heat appliance blows hot air near my hair strands. Heat appliance never physically touches my hair strands. = indirect heat.
2. My Pibbs dryer: heat appliance blows hot air near my hair strands. Heat appliance never physically touches my hair strands. = indirect heat.
3. My Hot comb: heat appliance combs through my hair strands,
making direct contact onto my hair strands. = direct heat
That's my story and I'm sticking with it.:yep:

NikStarrr

I don't see how a blowdryer is direct heat yet a hooded dryer is not? Some of the hooded dryers get hotter than a blowryer. You sit under them almost dying for hours. :ohwell:

Exactly what I was thinking. Plus, some of these hooded dryers (pibbs, for ex) have quite the air flow power and quite the heat. Don't know how anyone could differentiate between the two and pretty much put a blowdryer in a category making it more comparable to a flat iron or pressing comb. *shrug*

A blowdryer requires more manipulation of the hair, but still that has nothing to do with the heat.

Last edited:

Mook's hair

Well then...I'm reprogramming my thoughts on this. I like the logic that's being discussed here and will from now on consider BOTH blow drying and hooded dryers to be indirect heat.

soulie

Well then...I'm reprogramming my thoughts on this. I like the logic that's being discussed here and will from now on consider BOTH blow drying and hooded dryers to be indirect heat.

That's what I'm doing too Mook. So now -- only flat irons are the debil! :grin::grin:

Mrs.Green

1. My blow dryer: heat appliance blows hot air near my hair strands. Heat appliance never physically touches my hair strands. = indirect heat.
2. My Pibbs dryer: heat appliance blows hot air near my hair strands. Heat appliance never physically touches my hair strands. = indirect heat.
3. My Hot comb: heat appliance combs through my hair strands,
making direct contact onto my hair strands. = direct heat
That's my story and I'm sticking with it.:yep:

I agree with you pink :yep:. This is how I justify blowdrying when in to big a hurry to rollerset :look:

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
I feel like blowdryers and hooded dryers are indirect heat. They both blow either hot, warm, or cool air on your hair.

Flat-irons, curling irons, and pressing combs are direct heat. These tools touch the air right on, and the heat is applied at a higher intensity and temperature.

vkb247

But some people actually run the blowdryer against the hair right? Do the dominicans do it this way? I have seen seen some people do this especially when using a brush and blowdry very straight this way. So maybe it is depending on how you use it, not the tool itself.