I tried a ponytail rollerset!!! (((with pics)))

zzirvingj

I did a ponytail rollerset last nite!! (And it took FOR-EV-AH!!!) LOL :lachen:

I think it came out good for my first try. The roots were still pretty crappy though. I liked the curls so much I kept them in overnight, but I was NOT feeling how it looked when I woke up this morning!! It was kinda grandma-looking-ish 4 some reason...Anyways so I did end up flat ironing the roots, and then decided to wrap it, when I took it down it looked good but I just snapped a photo at work and it looks like POOF CITY!!!! :lachen::perplexed Anyways, that's ok cuz I just wanted to practice a rollerset for once.

Based on how it came out last night I will DEFINITELY be trying the ponytail rollerset again. Next time I will make more of an effort to leave the curls in and just wear it out and curly. I think I could definitely get the hang of it with a lil more practice...:yep:...I want that Tracee Ellis Ross look!! :yep:

Rollers In:

Rollers Out:

Slightly bumped roots with Maxiglide:

Poofy hair!!!!: :lachen: :blush:

***ETA: I meant to say this when I originally wrote this thread: I'm natural with 4a/b texture, as shown below...so if I can set my hair I'm hoping other naturals will give it a try too...

Last edited:

Eclass215

Wow, I've never thought of that. It looks cute though! I may have to try it one day! Thanks!

*ETA* You are my hair role model by the way!!! :notworthy:

Last edited:

blaqbarb

Your hair has a very nice shine and thickness to it. The ponytail rollerset came out great! I don't have the patience to do that with my hair. The longer it gets, the more I hate doing it.

zzirvingj

Thanks ladies! I came back to give details on what I used:

Shampoo'ed with Giovanni Smooth as Silk Deep Moisture

Conditioned with Giovanni Smooth as Silk Deep Moisture

Steam treatment Frederick Fekkai's Shea Butter mask mixed with a little SAA for 30 mins (thanx SamanthaJones!)

Detangled with Giovanni Smooth as Silk Deep Moisture

Used Giovanni Direct as leave-in and sealed with a tiny tiny bit of Redken heat glide

Sprayed with diluted Lottabody bottle (1 part lottabody to 2 parts distilled water) mixed with a half capful of SAA to keep wet while rollersetting

zzirvingj

I have to try this. Very nice! :up:

Try it!! I recommend it! :yep: Thanks to Pokahontas 4 the tutorial in her fotki...also another natural on here tried this and raved about and that's what made me try it..I have to find her post so I can mention her.

I am very "style challenged", lol....but I've been SO tired of my hair lately...I HAD to try something different...I needed a change...and I've been wanting to learn how to rollerset so I wouldn't have to blow dry.

zzirvingj

For those of you who have a hand-held blow dryer and are considering buying a soft bonnet dryer, consider this: you could just buy the "attachment" that attaches to your handheld dryer. At first I was skeptical doing this, but I bought the Belson one for $9.99 out of Sally's and attached it my Revlon 1875 ionic dryer and used it for the first time to do this rollerset. Worked fine for me :yep:

zzirvingj

FYI...for those who don't know, I'm natural with 4a/b texture. If my uncoordinated self can rollerset, you can too lmao :lachen:

The pic below is of a shrunken/dry puff from 2005..I included it so you could get an idea of the texture of my hair (that's probably the most recent pic I have of it mostly dry and shrunken up because I rarely will wear it all out and let it just dry anymore due to tangles).

The key is to make sure your hair is saturated...I mean completely wet...when setting it on the roller. I had to keep re-spraying my hair with my spray bottle and combing through it to make sure it was totally straight b4 placing the roller on. The roots were still an issue, but I think I'll be able to get the roots straighter next time...

Garner

Very nice!!! I had no idea you were natural. Have you ever been relaxed.

Last edited:

zzirvingj

Very nice!!! I had no idea you were natural. Have you ever been relaxed.

Yes, I've been natural for....well it'll be 6 years on the last week of December :grin:.

Most of the rest of my life I was relaxed (got my first relaxer at around age 4! :blush::blush::blush:) I BC'd to a TWA in late 02....

Fine 4s

I did a ponytail rollerset last nite!! (And it took FOR-EV-AH!!!) LOL :lachen:

I think it came out good for my first try. The roots were still pretty crappy though. I liked the curls so much I kept them in overnight, but I was NOT feeling how it looked when I woke up this morning!! It was kinda grandma-looking-ish 4 some reason...Anyways so I did end up flat ironing the roots, and then decided to wrap it, when I took it down it looked good but I just snapped a photo at work and it looks like POOF CITY!!!! :lachen::perplexed Anyways, that's ok cuz I just wanted to practice a rollerset for once.

Based on how it came out last night I will DEFINITELY be trying the ponytail rollerset again. Next time I will make more of an effort to leave the curls in and just wear it out and curly. I think I could definitely get the hang of it with a lil more practice...:yep:...I want that Tracee Ellis Ross look!! :yep:

Poofy hair!!!!: :lachen: :blush:

How long before your hair fell like this? is this a same-day result after you took out the rollers? Any wraping done? This is dope! I might try this the first time I try to straighten.....Thanks Z....

zzirvingj

^^^Fine4s: I did the rollerset last night and I did a "silk wrap" this morning. (Meaning I combed my hair into a wrap, secured with saran wrap, and set under the dryer for 15 minutes.) This morning when I took it down from the wrap, it looked like the "poofy hair pic" I took at work.

So to get it a lil straighter I did a quick pass with my Maxiglide over the roots one last time on low before leaving the house, and it did flatten out some more, but by the time I got to work it was poofy again, as you will see from the pic (go figure).

naturalgurl

OK...4a/b natural is resounding in my head. I thought you were transitioning. How in the world did your hair come out so flat on those rollers? I know you said your hair has to be soaking wet and I can see that. But I don't think THIS 4a/b hair is going to lay like that. Your hair looks alot like my sisters and she's 3c. I don't know if my hair would come out that smooth...