3.5 inches of breakage a year?

AfroKink

I can't seem to get away from breakage. I moisturize my hair, but it still breaks. I put my hair in twists last week. The last time I washed it was 2 days ago (I washed with the twists in). Today, which the twists still in, I put on some Cantu Leave-in. There were broken hairs all over my shoulders. Breakage from just applying leave-in. I wasn't manipulating my hair as it was in a protective style. I washed it and I put on a moisturizing leave in.

I get breakage if I use protein or if I don't.
I get breakage if I use protective styles or if I don't.
I get breakage if I clarify or if I don't.
I get breakage if I deep condition or if I don't.

What I do know is my hair grows 0.5 inches per month, I haven't cut it it almost two years and the longest layer is only about 8 or 9 inches. In two years it should have grown by 12 inches, and since the cut left me with about 4 or 5 inches, I've lost 7 inches due to breakage! That more than half of my growth per year. What gives? I was lead to believe that some amount of breakage is okay, but this can't be okay.

help anyone?

Lys

ETA: Bumped this thread a year later. I've managed to retain about 2 inches since this post. The minor update and comparison shots from the past year are on Page 9. I'm still in need of vast amounts of help.

Last edited:

QT

Hello~ this is the same reason I started this board was b/c of my breakage….. I read sistaslicks 101 on hair breakage (it might have been in another board blackhairmedia) anywho, she recommended alphogee and it stop my shedding in its track.

MissLawyerLady

Do you suffer from any physical ailments/illnesses? That could explain your hair breakage. Perhaps you should visit with a doctor or dermatologist?

I can definitely say that my hair growth and texture has changed since I was diagnosed as being anemic.

I would suggest seeing a doctor and ask about getting a physical and some blood work done.

AfroKink

Do you suffer from any physical ailments/illnesses? That could explain your hair breakage. Perhaps you should visit with a doctor or dermatologist?

I can definitely say that my hair growth and texture has changed since I was diagnosed as being anemic.

I would suggest seeing a doctor and ask about getting a physical and some blood work done.

I believe I'm in good health. I exercise regular, eat better than most, and take my multi-vitamin (when I remember). The only ailments I know of are allergies. I had a physical about a month ago with blood work. I'm not anemic. I donate blood and they keep call me to do so. If there was a health related cause at least that would be an answer.

Lys

AfroKink

Hello~ this is the same reason I started this board was b/c of my breakage….. I read sistaslicks 101 on hair breakage (it might have been in another board blackhairmedia) anywho, she recommended alphogee and it stop my shedding in its track.

I've never tried Aphogee. I'll do a search for it.

Lys

QT

I used the 2 min reconstructor (sp) and it worked WONDERS.... Alpohgee has a stronger treatment however i started w/ the less intense one. In fact i used it for several weeks to get my back to good health and thank the lord it has been growing instead of shedding :yep:. I use it from time to time as a deep condish.... Since you stated your in good health i HIGHLY RECOMMEND getting it, and also reading sistaslicks thread... hth

Bublin

Alot of ladies here recommend applying watery products (s-curl) and oils (Castor Oil and the like) onto the hair.

I have finally realised that this causes breakage for me big time....both on my natural and relaxed hair.

I only use oils on my hair if they are going to be rinsed out or i put a small amount onto my scalp.
I put creamy products onto my hair inbetween washes. My favourite is Breakfree by Profectiv (its a pink flat round jar).

anon123

I can't seem to get away from breakage. I moisturize my hair, but it still breaks. I put my hair in twists last week. The last time I washed it was 2 days ago (I washed with the twists in). Today, which the twists still in, I put on some Cantu Leave-in. There were broken hairs all over my shoulders. Breakage from just applying leave-in. I wasn't manipulating my hair as it was in a protective style. I washed it and I put on a moisturizing leave in.

I get breakage if I use protein or if I don't.
I get breakage if I use protective styles or if I don't.
I get breakage if I clarify or if I don't.
I get breakage if I deep condition or if I don't.

What I do know is my hair grows 0.5 inches per month, I haven't cut it it almost two years and the longest layer is only about 8 or 9 inches. In two years it should have grown by 12 inches, and since the cut left me with about 4 or 5 inches, I've lost 7 inches due to breakage! That more than half of my growth per year. What gives? I was lead to believe that some amount of breakage is okay, but this can't be okay.

help anyone?

Lys

Girl, I know. It's not uncommon, unfortunately. Otherwise we all would have had long hair a long time ago. Even now as hard as I try I think I break off about 1/3 of what I grow. But I am getting better. I agree with QT about trying a protein treatment for strengthening. My hair is not protein sensitive at all and only seems to get better the more I use: eggs, mayo, Aubrey Organics GPB, Aveda Damage Remedy, etc. I've cut back on moisturizing and increased the strengthening and it is helping. And, I totally agree with this:

Alot of ladies here recommend applying watery products (s-curl) and oils (Castor Oil and the like) onto the hair.

I have finally realised that this causes breakage for me big time....both on my natural and relaxed hair.

I only use oils on my hair if they are going to be rinsed out or i put a small amount onto my scalp.
I put creamy products onto my hair inbetween washes. My favourite is Breakfree by Profectiv (its a pink flat round jar).

"moisturizing" in the real sense of adding water or humectants to my hair is not really helpful to me. My hair has been softer lately with the humidity and then I was putting on all these moisturizing products that did nothing for me in the winter and suddenly they were working. My hair was softer, but it was definitely more fragile, and I'm not even talking about over conditioning like cowashing every day or something. I'm talking about washing once or twice a week and applying a moisturizing leave in 1-2 times a week, 3 max, was too much. It started breaking more easily. Now I mostly use coconut oil and maybe I'll put that moisturizing stuff in 1 time a week, not on loose hair, but on a section right before I twist it up at night (which I don't do often anyway).

Last edited:

Shinka

Have you looked into Cathy Howse? Her methods and products may help you. She helps you balance moisture and protein which may help with your breakage problems.

her website: ubhpublications.com

Also do a search on the board here. you'll find out alot about her products and methods. I really suggest you buy her deep conditioner. It may seem expensive but it really strengthens the hair. I have gone natural to relax and back about 5 times. Each time I've retained all my hair using her methods. I just have to stop cutting my hair off.

AfroKink

In the past when my hair broke, I assumed that it was from my mal-handling. Too rough during washing, hair not wet enough while detangling, being impatient etc etc. but today with it breaking by me just applying product says that there's something systematic that I'm doing or not doing that's causing breakage.

Maybe I'll try to cut back on the moisturizing and up the protein. I just did a strand test and the kink pulls our of my hair before it snaps.

Lys

AfroKink

I bumped sistaslick's thread that help me.

Thanks, I'll go and subscribe to it.

Have you looked into Cathy Howse? Her methods and products may help you. She helps you balance moisture and protein which may help with your breakage problems.

her website: ubhpublications.com

Also do a search on the board here. you'll find out alot about her products and methods. I really suggest you buy her deep conditioner. It may seem expensive but it really strengthens the hair. I have gone natural to relax and back about 5 times. Each time I've retained all my hair using her methods. I just have to stop cutting my hair off.

I'll do a search on her. I haven't tried her products.

Lys

snugglez41685

I know how u feel I was going thorough the same thing ever since i joined the board. Only after a recent weave disaster did my hair start to act right. I use a moisturizer and make sure i seal with an oil. I never did this or knew how to use oils really until I read more of this on Sistaslicks articles and on this board. Thats what was missing for me in the breakage department. HTH.

HeChangedMyName

Been there done that. I too read sistaslick's article on protein/moisture balancing. It was really helpful. Have you had your thyroid levels checked out. I suffered from hyperthyroidism and my hair was a mess. I mean, brittle was not even descriptive enough. moister didn't help, protein didn't help, keeping my hands out my hair didn't help.

Now, if it isn't your problem, then you may need to reevaluate what products you are using. Are you natural or relaxed? Do you use cones or not? Do you seal in all your goodies? If so, with what?

AfroKink

Been there done that. I too read sistaslick's article on protein/moisture balancing. It was really helpful. Have you had your thyroid levels checked out. I suffered from hyperthyroidism and my hair was a mess. I mean, brittle was not even descriptive enough. moister didn't help, protein didn't help, keeping my hands out my hair didn't help.

Now, if it isn't your problem, then you may need to reevaluate what products you are using. Are you natural or relaxed? Do you use cones or not? Do you seal in all your goodies? If so, with what?

To my knowledge, my thyroid has never been checked.

I'm natural, and up until about 2 weeks ago I was using only natural/organic/raw products on my hair. I generally seal with an oil/butter mix. I started using "non-natural" products to see if there is a difference in my hair. Nothing yet...

I think I'm going to try Aphogee out but I want to finish what I have. I have Nexxus Keraphix, Aubrey's GPB, and Megatek. Tomorrow I think I'll run the megatek through my hair like a conditioner, and follow with a moisturizing conditioner and repeat the strand test.

Lys

HeChangedMyName

Ok, so I don't want to get all up in your medical business but here are some of the additional symptoms I had related to my thyroid:
Extreme fatigue--I just didn't feel like doing anything and would fall asleep at the drop of a hat. I fell asleep once at work, while standing up.:sad:
Weird weight loss---at first I was losing and thought it was because I was doing something right. WRONG!!!
Brittle nails and strange changes in my hair, it became brittle and like straw.
My period went haywire: I just stopped tracking it at one point because I still wouldn't know when to expect it.
Itchy skin. My skin became dry too and ITCHY. I felt like my skin was about to burst open and shed. That's how bad it itched.
Mood swings to the 1000th power
Headaches like nobody's business

If you have never had your thyroid checked, please do. It is not a life or death situation but it can cause a lot of your body's functions to just be "off" and if it goes untreated it can turn ugly. Also

HeChangedMyName

To my knowledge, my thyroid has never been checked.

I'm natural, and up until about 2 weeks ago I was using only natural/organic/raw products on my hair. I generally seal with an oil/butter mix. I started using "non-natural" products to see if there is a difference in my hair. Nothing yet...

I think I'm going to try Aphogee out but I want to finish what I have. I have Nexxus Keraphix, Aubrey's GPB, and Megatek. Tomorrow I think I'll run the megatek through my hair like a conditioner, and follow with a moisturizing conditioner and repeat the strand test.

Lys

Ok, while natural is probably better for your hair, you may just be using some things that your hair doesn't like. Water for example. many ladies swear by a natural water and glycerin mix sprayed on their hair. It seems simple enough, but my hair HATES this mix. makes my hair mushy when wet and stringy and brittle once it dries.

Have you tried a carmelisation treatment. If you google it, you'll see tons of info. Some people get it done professionally, others mix up a concoction at home.

Desarae

My hair was breaking for the past 5 months. It broke when I styled it, washed it, added products. It broke all the time. I tried Aphogee, both the hard and mild one. I tried Motions CPR. I tried Aubrey Organics GPB. I tried ACV rinses. I tried clarifying. I tried chelating. I tried going the moisture route. I tried everything. My hair is natural 4b.

Then I tried the Joico K-Pak hair repair system. When I say my breakage is a thing of the past, that's what I mean. My hair is not hard at all either. This will be a staple for me forever. I got the shampoo, reconstructor, and intense hydrator in a set at Ulta for $20 bucks. (Which is a little pricey bc i'm cheap) It works. For real.

morehairplease

My hair was breaking for the past 5 months. It broke when I styled it, washed it, added products. It broke all the time. I tried Aphogee, both the hard and mild one. I tried Motions CPR. I tried Aubrey Organics GPB. I tried ACV rinses. I tried clarifying. I tried chelating. I tried going the moisture route. I tried everything. My hair is natural 4b.

Then I tried the Joico K-Pak hair repair system. When I say my breakage is a thing of the past, that's what I mean. My hair is not hard at all either. This will be a staple for me forever. I got the shampoo, reconstructor, and intense hydrator in a set at Ulta for $20 bucks. (Which is a little pricey bc i'm cheap) It works. For real.

I didn't know that joico is sold at ulta. I am going to go their today.

SouthernTease

Have you tried daily co-washing???

Also, you might want to fall back on the protein...
DO read sistaslick's run down on the protein/moisture balance...

most of the time it's that you need more moisture...
daily co-washing can help with that...
and BE CAREFUL OF THE HIDDEN PROTEIN IN YOUR PRODUCTS...

Also, have you thrown out boar bristle brushes & fine tooth combs...
I DID... it's made all the difference in my hair

HeChangedMyName

I thought boar bristle brushes were best for hair. I don't use mine that often, but on occasion I do. What are we using on our hair now? Any type of brush in particular?

Brees_hair

Have you tried baggying? It has truely made a difference in retaining my length, particularly ends. I do it every night without fail. Just moisturize your ends with oil, conditioner, what ever works for you, then loosely bun your hair and wrap a plasitc cap around the bun and secure it with a scruncy or loose band. Make sure it is air tight, hence keeping mositure inside the plastic and your ends. Try it for a month and see if it makes a difference.

HTH...

AfroKink

Ok, while natural is probably better for your hair, you may just be using some things that your hair doesn't like. Water for example. many ladies swear by a natural water and glycerin mix sprayed on their hair. It seems simple enough, but my hair HATES this mix. makes my hair mushy when wet and stringy and brittle once it dries.

Have you tried a carmelisation treatment. If you google it, you'll see tons of info. Some people get it done professionally, others mix up a concoction at home.

Never even heard of the caramelisation treatments. I did a google search and saw that there are threads on it over at BHM. I'll lurk over there are do a little research on it.

I'm a natural 4b, so I'll definitely look into these products too.

I haven't touched a fine tooth comb in 3+ years and have never used a boar bristle brush. I use one of those super wide tooth (only 5-7 teeth) combs.

Have you tried baggying? It has truely made a difference in retaining my length, particularly ends. I do it every night without fail. Just moisturize your ends with oil, conditioner, what ever works for you, then loosely bun your hair and wrap a plasitc cap around the bun and secure it with a scruncy or loose band. Make sure it is air tight, hence keeping mositure inside the plastic and your ends. Try it for a month and see if it makes a difference.

HTH...

At different periods in time I've done baggying, daily or every other day cowashings, steam treatments, and living in humid regions. I get broken hairs while I'm washing it. Breakage has always been an issue. I shouldn't say issue, because I never paid attention to it before. I didn't realise how those little peices were adding up over time untill I thought about it yesterday.

AfroKink

I ran the MT through my hair. I cornrowed and twisted it so I wont be playing in it until next weekend or later. My hair is still breaking. It broke as much today as it did when I started this thread. I don't know if protein treatments are suppose to work immediately or if the effects build up over time. I'll try it again in a week.

Lys

AfroKink

My hair broke all week. I used MT on it again today (2nd time now). I'm twisting it now and there's lots of broken hairs on my shoulders. I don't know what I'm going to do with my hair. I'm assuming if MT has no effects other protein treatments will be equal useless. :sad:

Lys

AfroKink

Since last week I realized that not all proteins are created equal. I DCed Wednesday night, but tomorrow is the big wash and retwist day. I'm going to use Aubrey's swimmer shampoo to see if the problem is porosity, and I'm going to try the Generic K Pak. It has a different protein than the MT. I'll probably mix it with a moisturizing conditioner, we'll see.

ETA: yes, it's still breaking.
Lys

Riverwalk

I often wonder if breakage is just apart of being natural? I know this may not help your situation, but I am really curious. I am natural as well, and I have asked other naturals, and no matter what they do, they have breakage.

Does breakage just come with the territory of being a natural 4a/4b/4z and just something we have to accept? Is there a way to retain more than what may break?

For me, I have a real problem with tangles. I didn't have this problem until I got to APL. I am now at BSL, and they are murder.

turnergirl

I often wonder if breakage is just apart of being natural? I know this may not help your situation, but I am really curious. I am natural as well, and I have asked other naturals, and no matter what they do, they have breakage.

Does breakage just come with the territory of being a natural 4a/4b/4z and just something we have to accept? Is there a way to retain more than what may break?

For me, I have a real problem with tangles. I didn't have this problem until I got to APL. I am now at BSL, and they are murder.

I had the same problems when I was natural. It had little to do with what condition my hair was in but the methods I had to use to comb through my hair. It was pretty hard on my hair but only in one section. The one thing that made a difference was consistent protien. I use the Aphogee 2 min. once a week and the Aphogee hardcore every 6 weeks. I deep condition once a week also. I have the softest most moisturized hair ever and I love it.

Now that my hair is relaxed I rarely see any breakage. Now shedding that is something totally different. I am a heavy shedder so I get long strands from the root all day everyday. That I can work with but the breakage had to go.

Newtogrow

Same thing is happening to me. Right now I am searching and destroying every split end!!!! There are a lot!!!!!

See if you have a split ends and trim them then start your protien/moisturizing regimine.

I'm on my second night. One small section at a time.

AfroKink

I had the same problems when I was natural. It had little to do with what condition my hair was in but the methods I had to use to comb through my hair. It was pretty hard on my hair but only in one section. The one thing that made a difference was consistent protien. I use the Aphogee 2 min. once a week and the Aphogee hardcore every 6 weeks. I deep condition once a week also. I have the softest most moisturized hair ever and I love it.

Now that my hair is relaxed I rarely see any breakage. Now shedding that is something totally different. I am a heavy shedder so I get long strands from the root all day everyday. That I can work with but the breakage had to go.

I'm hoping that this will be the answer to my problems. This Saturday will be my third in a row using protein. So far no increased breakage or other issues. I *almost* bought the Aphogee 2min on the day I got the Generic K Pak. Aphogee is next on the list

I think breakage comes with my texture. It's highly textured and super kinky. In addition I have fine/thin strands. My issue is with the amount of breakage. How much is too much?

Same thing is happening to me. Right now I am searching and destroying every split end!!!! There are a lot!!!!!

See if you have a split ends and trim them then start your protien/moisturizing regimine.

I'm on my second night. One small section at a time.

I don't know about a search and destroy. My hair is THICK. I was considering a regular trim though.

Lys