Attachments

• DSC00841.JPG
    DSC00841.JPG
    16.3 KB · Views: 9
  • DSC00844.JPG
    DSC00844.JPG
    8.6 KB · Views: 8

girlyprincess23

I wanne be in but I can't post a starting pic until I take my cornrows out in february.

to thicken up I plan on:
Leaving out the braiding
Rollersetting weekly (and only flat ironing roots)
DC 2x a week
I plan on relaxing every 10-12 weeks
I plan on trimming (at least a 1/4 of an inch) at every relaxer
I plan on using castor oil to nourish my scalp and ends
I also plan to be hydrate my ends daily and be more conscious about protecting them
I also plan on using megatek and mn for growth

Last edited:

LABETT

I noticed my hair became a lot thick this year when I started using products that contain
Polysorbate 80, such as Nexxus Humectin and Aphogee Provitamin Leave-in Conditioner.
I bought 2 bottles and added it to my condtioners along with castor that didn't contain this ingredient.
I have never tried a henna treatment and my do one this year.

Qualitee

I noticed my hair became a lot thick this year when I started using products that contain
Polysorbate 80, such as Nexxus Humectin and Aphogee Provitamin Leave-in Conditioner.
I bought 2 bottles and added it to my condtioners along with castor that didn't contain this ingredient.
I have never tried a henna treatment and my do one this year.
Thanks for the info!:grin: Polysorbate 80 :thought: never heard of it. Did it just coat your strands or did you notice your hair growing thicker?

Qualitee

to thicken up I plan on:
Leaving out the braiding
Rollersetting weekly (and only flat ironing roots)
DC 2x a week
I plan on relaxing every 10-12 weeks
I plan on trimming (at least a 1/4 of an inch) at every relaxer
I plan on using castor oil to nourish my scalp and ends
I also plan to be hydrate my ends daily and be more conscious about protecting them
I also plan on using megatek and mn for growth
I really feel like regular trimming helps with thicking the ends. Im going to go the same thing.:yep:

ChemistryGirl

I want to join! Yay this is my second challenge! I'm a Newbie as of 01/01/2009 :hiya:, I think it is about time I have longer, healthier hair!! I would say my hair is a about a 4b, neck length, relaxed, fine strands, thin density, thin ends and the right side of my head seems to be thinner too. I got a sew in yesterday and I plan to be in one 75% of the time. This is my main “strategy” to grow my hair (it's sorta worked for me before).

So here is my reggie for my sew ins:

• Not have it in longer than 6-8 weeks (NO tight braiding)
  • Use Nioxin follicle booster on my edges twice a day
  • Moisturize leave out daily (I just got EQP Mango butter and I LOVE IT)
  • Moisturize braided hair every other day (Using home made concoction; see below)
  • Wash and deep condition every 2 weeks ( I will use keracare dry and itchy scalp shampoo, then aphogee shampoo for damaged hair, then aphogee keratin 2 min conditioner, then dc with keracare dry and itchy scald moisturizing conditioner. Yes all in the same wash, lol! So far my hair seems to like aphogee products and I love the tingly feeling of the keracare products, it just feels like ti's relieving my itchy scalp and stimulating growth at the same time!)
  • Do a protein treatment when I take out my weave and pamper my hair for two weeks before the next install. (I will use aphogee 2 step protein treatment, I bought most of the aphogee line two weeks ago and I think my hair loves protein!)
  • Take my regular vitamins everyday, eating healthier, drinking lots of water and working out

I would like to experiment with making my own moisturizer to use on my scalp and hair under my sew ins. I'm thinking of using a mixture of castor oil (for growth), coconut oil (for moisture and strength?) and a few drops of peppermint oil and tea tree oil (for their itch relief, antiseptic properties and that tingly feeling!). To all the mixologists, does this sound ok? Any suggestions?

Thank you ladies for your help, and I am so excited about this challenge!:happydance: My starting pics are in my siggy.

Qualitee

I want to join! Yay this is my second challenge! I'm a Newbie as of 01/01/2009 :hiya:, I think it is about time I have longer, healthier hair!! I would say my hair is a about a 4b, neck length, relaxed, fine strands, thin density, thin ends and the right side of my head seems to be thinner too. I got a sew in yesterday and I plan to be in one 75% of the time. This is my main “strategy” to grow my hair (it's sorta worked for me before).

So here is my reggie for my sew ins:

• Not have it in longer than 6-8 weeks (NO tight braiding)
  • Use Nioxin follicle booster on my edges twice a day
  • Moisturize leave out daily (I just got EQP Mango butter and I LOVE IT)
  • Moisturize braided hair every other day (Using home made concoction; see below)
  • Wash and deep condition every 2 weeks ( I will use keracare dry and itchy scalp shampoo, then aphogee shampoo for damaged hair, then aphogee keratin 2 min conditioner, then dc with keracare dry and itchy scald moisturizing conditioner. Yes all in the same wash, lol! So far my hair seems to like aphogee products and I love the tingly feeling of the keracare products, it just feels like ti's relieving my itchy scalp and stimulating growth at the same time!)
  • Do a protein treatment when I take out my weave and pamper my hair for two weeks before the next install. (I will use aphogee 2 step protein treatment, I bought most of the aphogee line two weeks ago and I think my hair loves protein!)
  • Take my regular vitamins everyday, eating healthier, drinking lots of water and working out

I would like to experiment with making my own moisturizer to use on my scalp and hair under my sew ins. I'm thinking of using a mixture of castor oil (for growth), coconut oil (for moisture and strength?) and a few drops of peppermint oil and tea tree oil (for their itch relief, antiseptic properties and that tingly feeling!). To all the mixologists, does this sound ok? Any suggestions?

Thank you ladies for your help, and I am so excited about this challenge!:happydance: My starting pics are in my siggy.
Hey newbie! Using a weave as a protective style is great. It will help your hair to thicken up because your not combing it all the time causing breakage and such.:yep:

Lady Kay 21

Is any body using specific products that claim to thicken hair? I was thinking about using doo gro's thickening hair oil, but Im not to fond of the doo grow brand.

LABETT

Thanks for the info!:grin: Polysorbate 80 :thought: never heard of it. Did it just coat your strands or did you notice your hair growing thicker?
I noticed my hair growing thicker and if you use too much it will coat your strands and make your hair sticky and kind of hard.
It can be use has a pre-poo treatment alone and when I pre -poo consistently I had better results and I got lazy and just add it to stuff now.
You have to be careful and only use a little and you can actually feel it warming your scalp and massage it in.
You can buy it from your local Health Food store but I order from Puritan's Pride and stock up when they had sales like buy 2 get 3 free.

MsOmri

Regimen still in progress, but here's where I'm starting:
1. Multi vitamins, Biotin, Complex B (plan to include MSM)
2. Aphogee wash, 2 min recon, GVP condtioning balm 1x (still need to find DC I like)
3. Cowash GVP Conditioning balm 1x per week
4. Wigs for protective style for first quarter to see how everything goes
5. Moisture w/ NTM leave in & coconut oil
6. Length check March 31st

Will update as it changes

Here's my starting point...

Attachments

• 100_0117(a).jpg
    100_0117(a).jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 22

poeticmusiqu

Please sign me up. I have pretty thick hair all over but my ends are brittle and thin.

My Current Regime
1. Co wash daily with Motions Moisture Plus Conditioner
2. Deep Conditoner twice a week for 30 minutes with UBH Conditoner
3. Shampoo once a week with KeraCare Moisturizing Shampoo or Garnier Fructis Length and Strength
4. Use UBH Dew Spray as a leave in conditioner
5. Moisturize daily with UBH Moisturizer.

Hair Type: 3c/4a
100% Natural since April 2007
Current Length: Neck Length (NL)
Goal at End of 1st 2 Sessions (June 30): Shoulder Length (SL)
Goal at End of Challenge: Arm Pit Length (APL)

Final Hair Goal: Waist Length (WL)
Other Challenges: Deep Conditioner, Shoulder Length, Thicker Hair Challenge, Arm Pit Length Challenge

Last edited:

Golden75

#NOMOREHAIRPRODUCTS

Think about adding jojoba oil to this mix. Since it most mimicks the sebum your scalp produces. The suggested amount of jojoba to use for an oil mix is 50%. Then add the rest in. For your essential oils (peppermint & tea tree) remember less is more. I think the raito is for every 2-3tsps of carrier oil (jojoba, castor, coconut, etc...) use 1-2 drops of essential oil. Google oil mixes and Motowngirl. She breaks it down really well and tells you the best oils for you hair. I think my oil mix contains jojoba, grapeseed, and sweet almond oil, and rosemary (promotes hair growth) and it is very light and feels wonderful on the scalp. So refreshing:lick: . Happy Growing.

Qualitee

Think about adding jojoba oil to this mix. Since it most mimicks the sebum your scalp produces. The suggested amount of jojoba to use for an oil mix is 50%. Then add the rest in. For your essential oils (peppermint & tea tree) remember less is more. I think the raito is for every 2-3tsps of carrier oil (jojoba, castor, coconut, etc...) use 1-2 drops of essential oil. Google oil mixes and Motowngirl. She breaks it down really well and tells you the best oils for you hair. I think my oil mix contains jojoba, grapeseed, and sweet almond oil, and rosemary (promotes hair growth) and it is very light and feels wonderful on the scalp. So refreshing:lick: . Happy Growing.
peppermint oil is pretty good for growth also:yep:

LivingDol1

I'm up for this challenge. I'm a newbie to the site and to wearing my hair relaxed. After wearing braids off and on for 6 years, it was time for a change. In the last 2.5 years of wearing braids(and getting new ones every 2.5 - 3 months) my hair grew from chin length to APL. Somehow, I have a layered cut and would like to grow it out while maintaining my length.

I am going to try to achieve this by doing the following:

- washing my hair twice a week (co wash once a week. reg wash once a week)
- using roller sets with a bonnet dryer
- air drying my hair with braid outs
- deep conditioning once a week
- taking vitamin supplements. currently i take one-a-day vitamins and rene furterer vitalfan antichute for thin hair. i've been taking the rene furterer vitamins since oct 15th, before the braids came out.

my last full relaxer was oct 31st 2008. my touch up is jan 10th. i will also get a light trim. i'll post a starting picture after i wash my hair tonight.

ChemistryGirl

Thanks, this is great info and the website was useful. My order of castor, coconut, tea tree and peppermint oil should be coming in tomorrow. I'm going to make it 1 oz castor oil, 1 oz coconut oil and then a 2-3 drops of tea tree oil and 2-3 drops of peppermint oil. I'll make a post when I try it.

IndianAngel22

I want to join! Here's my starting photo. And to achieve thickness I will try to stop the sew ins or at least not as often, use clip in extensions instead and condition my hair EVERY WEEK. LOTS and LOTS of protein!

Attachments

• IMG00298[1].jpg
    IMG00298[1].jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 16

Chocsmile

HI ALL!. I am a newbie. I want to join this challenge. I am currently focused on growing my hair thicker and combating breakage in both my hairline and nape so that my hair looks fuller. I will post starting pics in a couple of days.

For this challenge I plan to...
1. Keep taking my vitamins..Biotin, Multi-Vitamin, Flaxseed Oil, B-12
2.Keep drinking my water
3. Co wash 1wk and Poo once a wk (with a prepoo of coconut oil, EVOO, Castor, and garlic oil for shedding)
4. Deep Condition with a mild protein and moisturizer
5. Moistuize, Oil, and massage scalp daily

sqzbly1908

I would like to join - I am going to get a "therapeutic trim" and then post pics

The products I will be using and using up are...

Megatek
Ultra Sheen Duo Tex
AO HSR and GPB
Kenra Moisturizing Poo and Condish
Nexxus Keraphix, Botanoil Poo, Humectress

Ganjababy

Here is my starting pic.
For thicker hair I will-

Henna
Comb once per week
Use OCT
Deep condition every other day
Take supplements and vitamins
Protective styles-eg twist or plaits when sleeping
No heat other than when deep conditioning and for length check
Exercise
Protein intake

Attachments

• jan09.jpg
    jan09.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:

ChemistryGirl

Thanks, this is great info and the website was useful. My order of castor, coconut, tea tree and peppermint oil should be coming in tomorrow. I'm going to make it 1 oz castor oil, 1 oz coconut oil and then a 2-3 drops of tea tree oil and 2-3 drops of peppermint oil. I'll make a post when I try it.

Ok so I just finished applying the above oil mixture to my scalp (under my weave) and it feels great! It stopped the itches immediately! I also love the smell of the peppermint oil, it reminds me of all the hot chocolate and peppermint schnapps I had over the holidays :lick:. I used an applicator bottle and it made it easy to accurately apply the oil to my scalp and NO oil got on my weave. My scalp feels so great right now, and my roots seem softer and moisturized. Now all I have to do is keep applying it religiously and wait to see if my hair grows faster and thicker. :grin:

ShantWhite

Whew, just made it! Please count me in. My starting pic is in my siggy. I will maintain by continuing to use and alternate between the following:

- Water, water, water!!
- Sulphur concoction – my hair thrives on sulphur J
- Wild Growth light oil moisturizer
- African Pride braid spray - sparingly
- Hawaiian Silky 14 in 1
- 14-16 week (texlax )stretches
- Air drying
- Quarterly dusting
- Nightly scalp massages
- No heat!

These products and methods have contributed greatly to my current thickness, but I’m praying for more noticeable thickness in ‘09.

LivingDol1

Okay, please see my recent photos below. the back view is a tad dark. i'm not too good with the self taken photography yet. my hair is below APL. looks full since i had done a roller set... but in a mirror with light behind me, i can see through my hair. i have some layers that i am trying to grow out. the shortest parts are at the crown and probably stop at my shoulders. i am new to this board and see that members are going above and beyond with trying different options for growth and thickness (like, what is megatek and OCT?? i will have to google, clearly...)

my regimen for the time being will be to:

-wash twice a week (alternate cowashing and reg. washing)
-deep condition once a week
- moisturize the ends daily
- reduce usage of the blow drier by using roller sets with a bonnet drier or airdrying with braid outs.
-get relaxer touch ups every 12 weeks
-continuing to take vitamins/supplements
-maintain a healthy diet and exercise

Last edited:

IndianAngel22

I did a wash yesterday and had AMAZING results. My strands are definatly thicker and I believe they will continue to get thicker. I wrote a post about it but if you can't find it I updated in my blog, and will be adding more photos to the blog and tips

Amerie123

i'm in...
i will be usin the ayurvedic stuff (includin henna every 2-3 months), and castor oil. if after 6 months i dont notice improvement, i will use mega tek..thats a big MAYBE.

~Hair~Fetish~

:blush: Yikes!... Is it too late to be added to the challenge?

The things I plan to do are...

*Stop bonelaxing/overprocessing my hair and start texlaxing instead
*Moisturizing my ends daily
*Applying Mega Tek to my scalp daily
*DCing twice a week using the steamer
*Alternate shampooing with co-washes
*Being faithful to my biotin

Starting pic is my siggy :drunk: