Thicker Fuller Hair Challenge 2013

Relaxed yesterday in time for my vacation:) my next relaxer won't be until the week of my birthday..so the next 16 weeks I'll be incorporating a lot less heat, going to try rollersetting, cowashing a lot more, hard protein every 6 weeks, mild protein every two weeks, more scalp massages with castor oil mix, keeping more consistent with my multivitamin and water intake and keeping my hair up in some type of bun for the majority of the time.

So.......I was unwrapping my hair today and my hair is super thin at my crown area!! Like..I saw my scalp and I don't understand why

mschristine: How dense is your hair? Sometimes hair naturally has a wide part. With me I have an iron deficiency and issues with stress, so my hair started to thin at my crown as well. I've been taking vitamins, doing egg masks, and using the Groganics line to help with my thinning hair. Do you take vitamins or have any health issues that might be the cause of hair thinning?

Hello. Id like to join.
My hair looks very thick and dense when its down but when u braid it u can see yhe truth as I will post a pic below.

Im doing a moisture regimen shampooing with an all natural moisturizing shampoo and a professional dc. I'm also doing scalp massages with jbco and tea tree oil every 2-3 days.

Here's my hair's density
IMG_20130403_164756_zpse7379711.jpg

C how big the part is and how small my braids r
Killahkurlz: I think your hair parts are good. They aren't too wide and they don't seem to be thinning or anything. :yep:

Napp: Thanks for posting the thickening conditioner you used. I checked Puritan.com and it looks like they are back in stock (3 for $7.99?? What a deal! :grin:)

I don't know if its too late to join this challenge, but I would very much like to.

I plan to reduce shedding by: Conditioning daily, wet styling and air drying, brushing/combing only when hair is wet.

I plan on reducing breakage by: Egg protein mask 2-3/month, deep conditioning weekly, wearing loose buns instead of tight ponytails

I plan on thickening my strands by:
Taking the following vitamins (Biotin (10,000 mcg), Iron (65 mg), Fish oil (1290 mg), Zinc (50 mg), Vegan Organic Flaxseed Oil Omega-3 (1000 mg), Organic Bamboo extract (300 mg) and Youtheory Collagen Advanced Formula Collagen Type 1, 2 & 3 with 18 Amino Acids (60 mg of Vitamin C & 6g of Protein)...also using the Groganics shampoo and conditioner. Supposedly it helps hair growth, so I might get some length as well, but for the moment I'm working on getting my hair healthier and thicker--especially where its been thinning.

I might consider trying Puritan's Pride Panthenol Hair Thickener & Conditioner. Not sure yet. Maybe when my Groganics stuff goes out. I like to rotate my conditioners and shampoos.

Attachments

• before and after 1 month.jpg
    before and after 1 month.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 91
mschristine: How dense is your hair? Sometimes hair naturally has a wide part. With me I have an iron deficiency and issues with stress, so my hair started to thin at my crown as well. I've been taking vitamins, doing egg masks, and using the Groganics line to help with my thinning hair. Do you take vitamins or have any health issues that might be the cause of hair thinning?

I've been stressing a lot lately, switched birth control pills and have not been taking my vitamins at all but my hair has never been thin at the crown like this before....very strange

Went hard in the thickening paint this wash day:

Cleanse w/ NG Mango and Berries Cleansing Condish: Panthenol and Castor Oil
DC'ed w/ SD's Vanilla Silk and Avocado pudding Mixed w/ AO GBP, oils, agave nectar and glycerin: Protein, Panthenol, castor oil
Coffee rinsed to reduce shedding
Used SSI Moisture Mist as one of my Leave In's (Panthenol) and sealed with Hairveda Cocosta Hair Oil (castor based)

WOW!!! LovelyDelight
Thats some dramatic results!!

That puritans pride conditioner sounds promising. I might wanna try this to take advantage of that great sale. Anybody have reviews, results to share??

I have been using the Folicure poo for my first wash lately to beef up my follicles and the Shea Moisture ABS poo, purification masque and just recently the balancing conditioner.

Clipped some thin, scraggly ends this morning. Need to do that every 6-8 weeks for a while. Castor oil is not good for my scalp..strictly mixed in my DCs for now on. Jojoba mixed with some EOs on my scalp and that is all

EnExitStageLeft

Hey gal, thanks for askin how I am...been off the site since late July....just super busy and took a break from so much online surfing and trying to get back into other hobbies aside from hair! Have been SUPER hair lazy from late July until now. Just washing weekly with shampoo (diluted liquid, or shampoo bar), conditioning, oiling my hair a couple times a week (after wash while damp, and maybe once more during the week if I slip a co-wash in there), air-drying loose using the scarf method, and bunning (same bun in my Fotki).

My daughter started kindergarten in late Aug so that change of pace has really been an adjustment. Been keeping my scalp clean, oiling this hair up like the (native, as in still living in India) Indian women do. (Many stop oiling and using herbs when they relocate to the U.K. Or U.S. Due to the expense of having to order some native Indian/Ayurvedic herbs online...not to mention the effect European and American beauty standards have on hair care practices...instead of using herbs and teas to cleanse hair, why not use shampoo is one tangent). Also these Europeans aesthetics lead to oily hair being seen as bad. I say, if it aint broke, dont fix it. I love oiling.

Currently in rotation is mahabhringaraj oil and sesame oil since it offers some sun protective quality for hair, and the sun is a bit less but still harsh when I have to go out every afternoon. If I don't put a light coating of oil, I cover my hair with a pretty scarf (Boho-Ethnic-Eccentric is how I would characterize my usual style). Scarves have really saved my hair this summer and I will keep them in rotation for fall and winter but add hats too. I also switched all my main combs to seamless combs by Hairsense. Really seeing an improvement.

Anywho, how are you ladies doing, and how are your lovely tresses EnExitStageLeft ?:yep:

Last edited:
mschristine

Sorry to hear about your issue with thinning at the crown. Meications, stress, hormones (as you mentioned switching BC pills), anemia (I'm anemic, but not due to iron), and lots of other things can cause thinning.

Seems like the crown, nape, and edges are the first to suffer when it comes to thinning that is due to something going on in the body. Stress increases cortisol which leads to weight gain, increased cholesterol in the blood, and other issues. Hopefully, the thinning will subside quickly as your body adjusts. Try to pay extra attention to the crown area by massaging and being careful with the hair there. HTH! P.S. My mom and future MIL both have significant thinning in the crown due to blood pressure meds.

FMIL actually is shiny bald there and has to wear wigs...my mom is very thin there but she doesn't pay me any attention when I suggest hair and scalp remedies! I know the blood pressure meds are the culprit, after I gave birth to my daughter and was out on them for 6 months, my hair shed more and was thinner too. I was also on a chemotherapy med (not for cancer, but for adjunct treatment to boost bone marrow) once and it caused more shedding, but the side effects were too much and it did more harm than good. I hope your shedding subsides soon!

Another treatment is the juice of onions applied to the thinning or heavily shedding area before washing hair. Leave it on 1 hour then wash it out. Onions contain sulfur and we all know sulfur grows some hair! Lemon juice and water rinsed over the hands or scalp will get rid of the onion smell if the shampoo does not. Lemon juice applied to cutting boards after chopping onions will take away the smell and it works on skin too.

mschristine

Sorry to hear about your issue with thinning at the crown. Meications, stress, hormones (as you mentioned switching BC pills), anemia (I'm anemic, but not due to iron), and lots of other things can cause thinning.

Seems like the crown, nape, and edges are the first to suffer when it comes to thinning that is due to something going on in the body. Stress increases cortisol which leads to weight gain, increased cholesterol in the blood, and other issues. Hopefully, the thinning will subside quickly as your body adjusts. Try to pay extra attention to the crown area by massaging and being careful with the hair there. HTH! P.S. My mom and future MIL both have significant thinning in the crown due to blood pressure meds.

FMIL actually is shiny bald there and has to wear wigs...my mom is very thin there but she doesn't pay me any attention when I suggest hair and scalp remedies! I know the blood pressure meds are the culprit, after I gave birth to my daughter and was out on them for 6 months, my hair shed more and was thinner too. I was also on a chemotherapy med (not for cancer, but for adjunct treatment to boost bone marrow) once and it caused more shedding, but the side effects were too much and it did more harm than good. I hope your shedding subsides soon!

Another treatment is the juice of onions applied to the thinning or heavily shedding area before washing hair. Leave it on 1 hour then wash it out. Onions contain sulfur and we all know sulfur grows some hair! Lemon juice and water rinsed over the hands or scalp will get rid of the onion smell if the shampoo does not. Lemon juice applied to cutting boards after chopping onions will take away the smell and it works on skin too.

Thank you!! I need to do a hard protein treatment, I just haven't had the time to go get some aphogee 2 step. I started a personal no heat challenge until the end of November because I think using heat more in combination with a lot of other things has caused the thinning. I'm also going to start diluting my shampoo. Even when I prepoo, I still feel like it needs to be diluted.

I haven't used heat in about a month and I was finally able to do my hard protein treatment about 2 weeks ago. My new growth is thick and drinks up everything I put on it but its still very manageable.

Jewell

I'm so sorry I didn't see your post. Girl I'm fine. I finally decided to transition over to natural again on the 6th, so I'm pretty happy about that. WHere you been hidin'?

Jewell

I'm so sorry I didn't see your post. Girl I'm fine. I finally decided to transition over to natural again on the 6th, so I'm pretty happy about that. WHere you been hidin'?

Congratulations girl! You know I have secretly been thinking of doing the same...going natural again. I will be 4 mos post on Nov. 3, and Im thinking of just skipping the TU and going natchal again. I have more time to devote to natural hair as my son is almost 1, but i still havent fully decided. Idk just yet.

Good to hear you are doing well!! No prob, I know how busy life gets...:drunk:

I've been clipping my ends a lot recently. The thinness was really bothering me. I'm about 11 weeks post relaxer and my new growth is coming in thick and beautiful:) I add extra conditioner on my roots when I deep condition and then extra moisturizer when I M&S.

Back