Can I ask a DUMB question

amwcah

Thanks amwcah, I'm actually using scurl & coconut oil right now. But I'm wondering how often I should take off the glued on lace so that I can moisturise my hair.

Your welcome! Moisturize your hair as usual without the lace if it is not too bothersome. Otherwise, just go with how your hair feels. You may want to alternate the S Curl(moisture) with Carefree Curl(protein).

Livingmylifetothefullest

Am I the only one that still pays a stylist to shampoo and condition my hair? Being that it's past shoulder length, I just don't want to deal with it myself. I actually work my hair into my monthly budget.

Kinda off topic but why do your eyebrows and eyelashes grow faster than your hair?

Is it a requirement to trim your ends? I haven't for the last couple years.

Does anyone else feel they lose more hair with a roller set?

ajargon02

@ajargon02 Do you have a pic of "just the lace 'front'" kind that you mention? Or, as you call them, the pieces? Never heard of this before. :dork:

@Pocket*Full*Of*Dreams Gotcha! Thanks for 'splaining.

Now if only @ajargon02 can come with images of the "pieces" she was talmbout! :whip:

:needpics: I got cha! Here you go:

for a final look of:

or this:
with a final look of this:

Those pieces were from: http://www.inhairco.com/closurepieces.html

there's so many different pieces out there.
to
from http://www.hairworksintl.com/lace-frontals/

closure pieces: http://www.superhairfactory.com/shop/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=186
crown pieces: http://www.superhairfactory.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=88&products_id=175
frontal pieces: http://www.superhairfactory.com/shop/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=197

This was just an example of a few. :D

Nonie

What is a mommy wig?

@DarkVictory It's a short wig that looks like this:

SparklingFlame showed us the one she got in this thread: http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=511300

So did Nychaelasymone: http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=514027

Even Anew got one: http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=515043

ETA: Here's a link to one source of the MommyWig: http://www.hairstopandshop.com/shop/pc/Human-Hair-Mommy-wig-br-by-Janet-Collection-p466.htm

Last edited:

Incognitus

Can I cowash, DC, or use OCT/MT while my hair is in kinky twists (w/synthetic hair) or in cornrows? I've heard rumors about not leaving braided hair wet because mildew can occur.

Also, how do I protect my ends while in kinky twists?

Someone please set me straight. Or just help me stop spinning :drunk:

Last edited:

Incognitus

When roller setting natural hair, am I suppose to use a leave-in conditioner along with the setting lotion (I use Jane carter's wrap & roll)? Also, am I suppose to use a heat protectant (in addition) if I decide to sit under a dryer?

Naturalhaven

Oh man....I have a really dumb question and I am not sure if it has been asked or not bc I skipped around but......what does op mean? I think it is the person that starts the thread but I can't for the life of me figure the letters out.:lachen:

manter26

Oh man....I have a really dumb question and I am not sure if it has been asked or not bc I skipped around but......what does op mean? I think it is the person that starts the thread but I can't for the life of me figure the letters out.:lachen:

Original Poster or Original Post

SouthernStunner

My 13yr old Men
Can someone tell me why when taking length pictures do people take them with wet hair or gathering it all together in like a V instead of spread out?

I just always wanted to know.:look:

amwcah

Can someone tell me why when taking length pictures do people take them with wet hair or gathering it all together in like a V instead of spread out?

I just always wanted to know.:look:

The hair is longer when wet. Also, some ladies may bun after washing so it is easier that way.

As far as the V, some ladies hair just naturally grow that way therefore it falls into the V. Also, they may have uneven hair so it looks better in the V.

Nonie

What does lachen mean?

@Eluv It's German for laugh and it is the code for this emoticon :lachen:

If you type (colon)lachen(colon) replacing the word (colon) with the actual symbol : you will see this smiley :lachen: appear.

A lot of folks know the codes by name and don't need to click on the list of smileys to find the one they need. Sometimes if typing fast, they may leave a space between the word and the colon and that error causes the word to show up instead of the image.

So you may occasionally see :lachen: :lachen : :lachen: ;lachen: instead of :lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen:

Incognitus

1) Can I cowash, DC, or use OCT/MT while my hair is in kinky twists (w/synthetic hair) or in cornrows? I've heard rumors about not leaving braided hair wet because mildew can occur. Also, how do I protect my ends while in kinky twists?

2) When roller setting natural hair, am I suppose to use a leave-in conditioner along with the setting lotion (I use Jane carter's wrap & roll)? Also, am I suppose to use a heat protectant (in addition) if I decide to sit under a dryer?

Eluv

@Eluv It's German for laugh and it is the code for this emoticon :lachen:

If you type (colon)lachen(colon) replacing the word (colon) with the actual symbol : you will see this smiley :lachen: appear.

A lot of folks know the codes by name and don't need to click on the list of smileys to find the one they need. Sometimes if typing fast, they may leave a space between the word and the colon and that error causes the word to show up instead of the image.

So you may occasionally see :lachen: :lachen : :lachen: ;lachen: instead of :lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen:

Thanks, because not knowing was bugging me.

Nonie

1) Can I cowash, DC, or use OCT/MT while my hair is in kinky twists (w/synthetic hair) or in cornrows? I've heard rumors about not leaving braided hair wet because mildew can occur. Also, how do I protect my ends while in kinky twists?

2) When roller setting natural hair, am I suppose to use a leave-in conditioner along with the setting lotion (I use Jane carter's wrap & roll)? Also, am I suppose to use a heat protectant (in addition) if I decide to sit under a dryer?

Incognitus I can't really speak for kinky twists but I would imagine what holds true for braid extensions would hold true for them. Maybe @Mook's hair can come and answer on them for sure coz she's a kinky twists pro.

As far as braids are concerned, I treated them like my hair. So DCing and cowashing are things I did to my hair in braids. I never apply stuff to my scalp so MT/OCT are not products I used. I actually didn't use any leave-in products on my hair whatsoever with extensions in...so can't address that.

I haven't rollerset my hair but if I were, I'd use a heat protectant spray w/o fail. I don't like setting lotions or leave-ins so I wouldn't use either. But that's just me. Hopefully pros like @westNDNbeauty will come to the rescue on this.

westNDNbeauty

Incognitus

Some people might stone me for this, but I don't think a heat protectant is necessary for sitting under the dryer with roller sets...actually I don't see the purpose of heat protectant period. It cannot prevent heat damage. I say making sure your hair is in the best condition possible is how you avoid heat damage. Dry, brittle hair is more susceptible to damage from heat than well moisturized hair.

But the product I use to detangle happens to be a detangler, moisturizer and heat protectant in one. It is called Nioxin Thermal Bliss. My primary reason for using this product is for detangling and the fact that it adds moisture if I choose to use it to blow dry.

I use the Nioxin Therman Bliss underneath Lotta body setting lotion with no residue problems ever. I think the Nioxin will work well underneath Jane Carter's wrap and roll...even thought I have not used that product.

Incognitus

[clipped]

As far as braids are concerned, I treated them like my hair. So DCing and cowashing are things I did to my hair in braids. I never apply stuff to my scalp so MT/OCT are not products I used. I actually didn't use any leave-in products on my hair whatsoever with extensions in...so can't address that.

[clipped]
[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the info. SN: You know, you seem to always reply to my questions, from the first post I ever made....thanks. Okay, with your braids, how did you apply the conditioners? I mean, when you DC'd and cowashed, did you apply to the whole length of the braid or simply up to where your hair reached? I'm just wondering how much product I'll need if I had MBL braids/twists...

[quote="westNDNbeauty, post: 12957701"][USER=18872]Incognitus

Some people might stone me for this, but I don't think a heat protectant is necessary for sitting under the dryer with roller sets...actually I don't see the purpose of heat protectant period. It cannot prevent heat damage. I say making sure your hair is in the best condition possible is how you avoid heat damage. Dry, brittle hair is more susceptible to damage from heat than well moisturized hair.

But the product I use to detangle happens to be a detangler, moisturizer and heat protectant in one. It is called Nioxin Thermal Bliss. My primary reason for using this product is for detangling and the fact that it adds moisture if I choose to use it to blow dry.

I use the Nioxin Therman Bliss underneath Lotta body setting lotion with no residue problems ever. I think the Nioxin will work well underneath Jane Carter's wrap and roll...even thought I have not used that product.

Interesting points. Nioxin Thermal Bliss huh? You just had to recommend one more product for me to buy...and I can't resist, lol. Off the find where it's sold.....:drunk:

Incognitus

Ok, I have another dumb question:

Hair the grows out vs. hair that grows down. Please explain. And a sample illustration would be cool...:grin:

Nonie

Thanks for the info. SN: You know, you seem to always reply to my questions, from the first post I ever made....thanks. Okay, with your braids, how did you apply the conditioners? I mean, when you DC'd and cowashed, did you apply to the whole length of the braid or simply up to where your hair reached? I'm just wondering how much product I'll need if I had MBL braids/twists...

Aww...you're welcome. I applied to the braids only up to the ends of my hair, not the extensions. I also didn't apply to the base of my braids. I'd skip about an inch close to the scalp for two reason: (1) I don't like conditioner on my scalp; (2) I think it's very easy for conditioner residue to collect at the base of braids and cause matting and knotting up and hence breakage.

I would put my braids up and then pull out a few at a time and apply relaxer style to them, then squeeze them a bit to allow conditioner to penetrate inside the braids and saturate all strands. Or, I'd have them all loose and braid the ones I had already applied conditioner to so I don't confuse with those still waiting their turn.

Rinsing would involve letting the showerhead spray my head while I squeezed the braids till no more froth was coming out.

Incognitus

Nonie Thanks!! I'm definitely adding this to my regimen. :yep: And not applying to scalp was like a ''duh'' moment for me, like, ''why didn't I think of that. :grin:

Relentless

Reinventing
If I put vaseline on my hair (mostly on my ends), will the vaseline washout easily or do I have to use a clarifying shampoo or something?