Spinoff: If you could take a pill to change you natural 4a/b hair

Would you take a pill to go from 4a/b to 3b?

• Absolutely - I think 3b is ideal

Votes: 300 41.6%
  • I'd try it, but only if I could go back to 4a/b easily

Votes: 146 20.2%
  • No way - I think my hair is perfect

Votes: 275 38.1%

• Total voters

krikit96

:yep: Heck YEAH!!!! I would change in a heart beat! I would change to a 2 if I could! I'd love to be able to just wash and go and still look good... unfortunately if I do a wash and go and head to work, i'm quite sure i'd be sent home...

it would be more manageable, i could maybe slap some mousse or water on my head and watch it curl up...

So YES! I said it... yes i did!

feelfree

:nono: Nope! Neva that!

If you would've asked me that 15 years ago, i woulda said "in a heartbeat!", but i am so much wiser now and appreciative of my hair and its texture.

My 4whatever hair is too versatile and i have learned too much about it to go changing it at this point. I heart my hair.

hairedity

I'm transitioning and right now the hair underneath feels like carpet. It takes me forever to get ready in the morning because of it, and then in the end it still looks like crap. Anyway the short answer YES, I'm waiting for such a pill to be made!

cocoberry10

I resisted the urge to post this, BUT...

I think there are some people on here who would take a pill to change their hair, even though they said they wouldn't for the following reasons:

Maybe you don't want to change your pattern, but look at all the money we are spending on butters, oils, and balms to moisturize our hair.

I can't imagine that if there was a pill out there that would give you the softness, flexibility and manageability you get using the products listed above, you wouldn't take it.

Likewise, some people on here relax (as mentioned earlier). Obviously, people usually relax for manageability or style-ability. Thus, I imagine if there was a pill that could permanently give you that styling ability, some people would take it.

Imagine if you never had to moisturize your hair again. Imagine if all you had to do was wash your hair, and pick it out into that afro or that coil texture. Imagine if this pill prevented the tangles, shrinkage, mats and knotting many ladies on here complain about.

I don't think all of you would want to go from 4b to 3b per-say. But I do have a hard time believing if there was a pill that allowed you to no longer have to worry about matting, tangles, shrinkage, knots and breakage, or put all the "extras" in your hair to take care of it, you wouldn't take it.

But, we'll see!:yep:

Last edited:

Nonie

Cocoberry, you might be right about some people, but I can tell you that I am one of those people who doesn't spend money on butters, oils and balms to moisturize my 4B hair. The only time I spend any money on a moisturizer is when I'm wearing my hair out and I only buy S Curl. Since I don't do that often (last time I wore my hair out was in March/April 2007) I go for months w/o spending money on styling products.

I spend my money on shampoo and conditioner, and I'd still do that if I had a different texture of hair. I don't even go out of my way to use 100% natural products. I pick up whatever sounds good or stuff I've used and liked. Otherwise, I don't apply anything to my hair after doing an ACV rinse. I'm in braids and my hair thrives with nothing on it.

It's funny but I have been racking my brain to see if there was ever a time I didn't like my texture, and I really can't think of one. What I have always disliked is that my hair wasn't growing long. I didn't even consider that it might grow long if the texture was changed. I never really cared for swinging hair. My dream was always to put my hair in a nice pony puff, or three plaits easily. I knew people with hair like mine who could do this. I never even knew my type of hair could grow beyond APL coz due to ignorance on how to handle 4B hair, no one I knew retained length. We'd comb our hair dry and not worry about the pieces breaking off. The aim was just to have neat hair. Most people wore their hair cornrowed and gained some length but those of us who couldn't (school rules) just retained the same length they came to school with, or cut it off and so had shorter hair than they came to school with.

Since understanding my hair, I've gone from being apathetic about it (not caring one way or another) to being madly in love with it. I love how soft it is and how cute and tiny the coils are. I dream of wearing a big a** puff like Que that gets caught in the door. Or nice long plaits that are all my hair, no extensions. I hope I don't sound haughty but I honestly don't think there's any style I'd want to wear that I cannot pull off with this hair texture. I once shared how sorry I felt for a friend of mine with type 3 hair when I was a kid. I was trying to style it for her and it was so slippery and hard to handle that I secretly wondered if she was sad about her hair texture. :lachen: Of course I don't think that way now coz I do know now that you can't make hair behave in ways that aren't in its makeup. So it wasn't that she was pitiful, but that her hair couldn't do what mine can do. But it can do stuff mine can't. Only the stuff it can do I'm not really dying to do, partly because it would take a lot of work to get my hair to do that, and probably a lot of money. And I'm too darn lazy for that. Besides, there are so many other things that my hair can do and I'm still discovering more, that having this texture is such an adventure to me and I really couldn't change it for the world.

BTW, I have had a jheri curl and relaxed hair, but each time, the thought was never to get away from my hair texture. To me, those were just different styles that I was able to pull off...extending the spectrum of looks afro hair is capable of wearing. I will admit the jheri curl was done to grow my hair coz I heard it could do that. The straight perm was just a change of a style and yes it did stretch my hair so length showed more. But when I decided to transition, there was not any preparation, thought or concern about texture that went into it. My hair was damaged and I wanted to grow healthy hair so I could relax again. Really I had a point to prove to my stylist who made a comment that maybe my hair was not the relaxing kind. LOL (Her explanation why it was damaged.) So I was gonna braid my hair and let the damaged hair fall off on its own, then go back to her with my natural hair so she could be the first to work on it and see I was all that. :lol: But when I started to see length, all that went out the window. I didn't even go through all the thinking that people go through, talking about how chemicals are bad. I just finally saw length that for years had seemed so elusive. Then I really looked at my hair (probably coz I could bring it down to eye level :lachen: ) and I was in love. And when I found out I can get away w/o using products--an accidental discovery after misunderstanding Brenda's regimen (www.blackwomenrejoice.com)--I was smitten. I love the independence (not needing a stylist) and the peace of mind (not worrying about over processing or overlaps or relaxer formulas changing or being discontinued) that natural hair affords me...and most of all, I love that my hair is growing and that I can wear it in styles that hold for days so that I have a couple of hours extra a day that I can devote to something else other than hair. Oh when I had my hair relaxed, it was always good to know that I could return to my afro in a few months if I got tired of that style. I get bored easily, which is why much as I have considered getting locs just so I'd have length, I know I'd want to comb my hair one day, and I'd hate to have to go the days it would take to get the locs out; not to mention the hair I'd lose in the process. Now with my hair natural un-locced hair, if I wanted straight hair, I could press it and sport that; and in a few days, I could return to my perfect afro without needing to chop my hair off. If I wanted a look of locs, I could twist my hair (the 3 strand twist that scared me did look from afar like locs :D) and then I could do a twist-out or braid out for waves. I ABSOLUTELY LOVE MY HAIR!

Last edited:

kismettt

i voted for the 2nd option. i like variety & i would like to see how i would look. but i'd probably ideally want to be able to go from relaxed to texlaxed to 3b to 4a to 4z on a whim, depending on my mood.

amara11

No, but I would take one so that I had ONLY ONE texture on my whole head instead of like 3 :)

Other than that I love my 4a/b hair :yep:

LovinLocks

Hell, a lot of people here take MSM because they heard it would change their texture.

Reallly? See, that's what I get for jumping on the bandwagon. I've been taking 'em 'cause, 'cause, umm, I don't know, thought I read here that it was "good" for the hair - didn't know it was a "change/texture" thing. Gotta do some mo readin' 'bout MSM 'cause I sho ain't trying to change my hair's texture. I love, love it the way it izzzzz.

LL (3b/c and lovin' it)

butterfly3582

I answered the poll no

Than i started reading the opinions about relaxing changing the texture and I must agree with those statements.

I am 4a/b who relaxed for the 1st time 3 months ago after being natural for over a year.

For the first time I actually love my hair. I love my 4a/b relaxed hair. I love the kinky straight texture. If i had 3b hair i would not have the same texture.

So if i could have a pill that gave me this same kinky straight texture (basically 4a/b relaxed) I would take it.

msa

I wouldn't. I love my hair the way it is. I think it fits me perfectly.

The funniest part about this thread is all the people who said they "loved" their natural hair and would never change it but have since relaxed.

Hot Chocolate-LB

Yes, I would definetly try it for special ocassions. My hair has got to be a 5z and sometimes a girl could use a little assistance:lachen::lachen::lachen:

Would it be like taking diet pills where once you stopped you gain the weight back?:perplexed

Or would there be a 4a/4b pill you take to revert back? Just asking

sowhut

I dont know if i would do this.
I probably would try it but in the long run it wouldnt even matter. Im just one of those people who are never satisfied. I would be happy and then end up hating it a couple of months later.

locabouthair

I dont think I would but ask me if I could change how coarse my hair is, (which has nothing do with being a type 4) and I'd probably tell you yes. I would love to have soft
4b hair. it's not always the type but the feel of the hair. I hope I'm making sense.

AtlantaJJ

I think I'm slowly changing my mind about my original answer :scratchch

I just want my hair, just as long and as thick as it can be. That would make me very happy...and I am well on my way to having just that :up:

kbragg

Well my opinion has changed quite a bit:lol: I would consider it depending on how managable my hair is at longer lengths. If I had to spend 4+ hours on my hair, I would change it just to have a life:lol: ETA: I would keep my 4a texture, I'd just take a frizz free managibility pill:lol:

Last edited:

**SaSSy**

3rd Big Chop on 7/18/2016
If I had 4a/4b hair I would not want to change it to 3b! When I was natural I had 3c/4a and even though it was challenging, I wore it with pride!

Every hair types has it's challenges, so someone who has 2b/2c may want 4a/4b. It's just about self-esteem and acceptance that would determine whether you are happy or not with the hair god gave to you.

moonglowdiva

The Lord gave me this nappy, woolly stuff for a reason. I am just going to be content with what I have because the grass isn't always greener on the other side.:rolleyes:

Vinyl

Yes, because I could wear my hair out without having to do something like braids, twists, braid-out, relaxer, etc. It would just make things less complicated for me.

Junebug D

I dont know if i would do this.
I probably would try it but in the long run it wouldnt even matter. Im just one of those people who are never satisfied. I would be happy and then end up hating it a couple of months later.

That's me too. I'd be too worried about regretting it. :wallbash: The grass ain't always greener, I've learned. If it was a temporary thing and it would revert back or if I cut it and it'd grow back to its original texture, then that's one thing. If it altered my follicles or whatnot so that my hair would ALWAYS be different, even if I shaved it bald... then heck no.

godzooki

Naw. I like my hair. Even relaxed, I'm sure I'm a 4a. I'd rather take a pill that instantly gives me the knowledge and know how to make my hair thrive, grow, and look it's absolute best every dang day of the yr and would allow me to not be a chicken and transition over night with no loss of length... This learn by trial and error is taking too long:perplexed. If they had that pill, I'd take it! Until then...