New Pill by L'Oreal...

Anyway, I don't see what the big deal is.
I always knew something like this was going to come out.
L'Oreal is going to make billions off of this.

L'oreal will make millions period. Not just from AAs but from anyone who wants to change their hair texture. There are still many WW who get perms else their hair is flat and limp looking. However, even if this pill works, most AA women will still have terrible hair as many don't know how to take care of hair at all. Secondly, the pill cannot be taken during pregnancy, so at some point you'd have to relax in order to make the textures the same, or go natural. I think that instead of making this pill, they should work on making better relaxers and perming agents that retain the integrity of the hair. Also, I wouldn't mind if all the money from that research went into research for "natural breast augmentation" to discover some rare but ultrasafe plant found only in the amazon...but a girl can only dream :grin:

Bublnbrnsuga said:
This is utterly ridiculous. I can see the lawsuits flying now:
'I bought this pill to make me have 'good hair' and now I have high cholesterol, a lung disease, my heart's failing, my brain is leaking,etc,etc and I am going to sue!'

Are folks really that desperate? Goodness!

ITA!!! This is going to wind up being another phen-phen, copa, rio or worse. All you have to do is look at how differently each individual reacts to birth control. Some break out, others blow up by 20 pounds, others are o.k, etc. I always want to give people the benefit of the doubt, but it really does seem that people will do ANYTHING to have straight hair. Is being born a curly/nappy head the curse of all curses?? I don't think so. :nono:

Soleado said:
Is being born a curly/nappy head the curse of all curses??

Some people think it is... so for some it's this or that kind of hair "by any means necessary"

Last edited:
first its skin lighteners now its pills to make hair straight.... the devil has his plans..i'm sorry but this just sounds dodgey to me. these are the yrs where u need to look deeper into the meaning of some of these companies,. turning us into flippin copy n pastes of each other. with relaxers u can decide u wanna go natural as soon as u want, but these pills could have a permanent effect so that we wouldn't have the choice to go back coily,curly, nappy whateva

ichephren said:
L'oreal will make millions period. Not just from AAs but from anyone who wants to change their hair texture. There are still many WW who get perms else their hair is flat and limp looking. However, even if this pill works, most AA women will still have terrible hair as many don't know how to take care of hair at all. Secondly, the pill cannot be taken during pregnancy, so at some point you'd have to relax in order to make the textures the same, or go natural. I think that instead of making this pill, they should work on making better relaxers and perming agents that retain the integrity of the hair. Also, I wouldn't mind if all the money from that research went into research for "natural breast augmentation" to discover some rare but ultrasafe plant found only in the amazon...but a girl can only dream :grin:

...this is sooo off topic but I thought they did find that...I believe the herb is called fenugreek ....my aunts and cousins have been using it for years.

so1913 said:
Nope...

I swear some of this stuff is just over the top.

so1913, I LOVE Mint Condition!!! I just noticed your siggy. Anyways, I saw that this morning too. I'd probably wait a few years and let other folks use it and see what their results are. And then maybe, I'd try it.

babyangel: please clarify what you mean re: the fenugreek herb and your Aunties. What are they using it for or what has it been doing for them.
As for herbs and faster hair growth...I have heard that including a lot of paprika in your diet makes a difference. Bonjour

HECK NO! I LOVE MY NAPPY HAIR JUST THE WAY IT IS....NAPPY!

Besides that....a pill that changes the texture of your hair sounds scary for MANY reasons.

I can't believe how unphappy some* people are about their natural texture....that they would be willing to take a "Magic pill" to disrupt what GOD gave them!!??. This is just WRONG imo!

eta: Yes there are hormones in BC pills/patches-AND IF your taking them to achieve straighter hair you're just as SICK imo~

Also the patch was recently in the news..I think it has too many hormones in it.

Society is all about making money...they don't care about you or me. Many of US are ready and willing to DIE for straight hair WHY?

Last edited:
I wouldnt take this pill. I like my hair texture, it suits me. I put my hair in two strand twists a couple of hours ago and was thinking how much I like my hair. I would like a lil more length and to be able to make it last in a straight hairstyle for more than 5 mins when I get the urge, but I am falling in love all over again with my soft, springy, sexy coils. :)

Netta1 said:
HECK NO! I LOVE MY NAPPY HAIR JUST THE WAY IT IS....NAPPY!

Besides that....a pill that changes the texture of your hair sounds scary for MANY reasons.

I can't believe how unphappy some* people are about their natural texture....that they would be willing to take a "Magic pill" to disrupt what GOD gave them!!??. This is just WRONG imo!

eta: Yes there are hormones in BC pills/patches-AND IF your taking them to achieve straighter hair you're just as SICK imo~

Also the patch was recently in the news..I think it has too many hormones in it.

Society is all about making money...they don't care about you or me. Many of US are ready and willing to DIE for straight hair WHY?

ITA!!!!!!!! I'd run like the wind from a pill that changes hair texture. Just sounds scary on all kinds of levels.

Pretty soon, this board will have numerous threads about this pill!

poster- 'Guess what? I changed my hair texture with the pill!'
everyone else- "for real? How long did it take? Oh I have gotta buy some of those!'

Fast forward to the next month-
Everyone who jumped on the bandwagon, the update- Hello everyone. This may be my last time posting because my fingers are falling off. I would type with my toes, but they already broke off after a week of using the pill...but my hair is SUPER STRAIGHT!

:lachen:

I'm sure many will try it. Look how many people relax their hair. I can't say anything bad about the product because I'm sure I'd be tempted. I'm such a PJ! :ohwell: :lol:

Man, i'd sooo jump on this new pill. I'm not a scientist and dont know too much about hormones but many drugs on the market contain hormones and as long as it is a balanced dose and taken correctly...there aren't any SERIOUS/permanant side effects. I think alot of poeple are not jumping because it is a totally new idea. Well so was the idea of a hot comb with Madame CJ Walker...and so was the first relaxer/perm. they were all ideas and the majority of the people were against it. but when the technology improved and was proven safe, everybody and their momma jumped on it. Who knows...it may be a super-low dose that can alter the hair and the dose is too low to cause side effects???? So if there is a way for me to have soft, non-damaged, straight, shiny, easy to handle hair without having to burn my skin with toxins more potent than draino....and it's been tested for years and years and proven to work then hell to da yes i'd jump on it. and so would ALL of you...... {ducking before i get hit}.............

And the more and more i think about it...we take vitamins to alter the texture/length of our hair so why is everyone having a hissy fit to the thought of taking a horomone which will achieve better results? If this hormone is tested and proven to be safe, I think this will be a revolutionary discovery and our kids/grandkids will be laughing at the thought of granma applying draino (relaxer) to her scalp in order to get good hair..... :ohwell:

I won't be buying this pill when it becomes available. Hair texture is not serious enough for me to alter my hormones.

I do believe this pill will make millions for L'Oreal. I remember how people rushed to the stores to purchase EPO with the specific intent of changing their hair texture, even after being warned about potential hormonal side effects. Some women even gave it to their daughters. This pill from L'Oreal will eclipse that on all levels.
sad0020.gif

Messing with hormones is the worst. There are so many question. How will it interact with any other drug your takin? Uh...cancer?

But what if the study reveals that the hormone dosage is so low that it doesnb't have any side effects. Other than what u may encounter when using the Pill, such as breast tenderness, clear skin, headache, light period...which eventually goes away etc etc. Hell even Queen Helene products have horomones in it and alot of people still use it... And hell....who knows which horomone is being altered??? it may be a minor unimportant one???? (excuse my ignorance in science) :grin: .... I still say that this discovery will revolutionize haircare...unless it's super expensive then it'll just barely make a difference....

Notice that the only people even considering this pill have relaxers. Looks like having a natural head of hair is more than just a matter of preference. :cool:

And no I'd never take a pill that would change my hair texture. I don't fool with hormones.

Mizani_Mrs said:
....If this hormone is tested and proven to be safe, I think this will be a revolutionary discovery and our kids/grandkids will be laughing at the thought of granma applying draino (relaxer) to her scalp in order to get good hair..... :ohwell:

Honey can you please clarify for me, are you saying good hair = straight hair?

my dr told me to get fenugreek for breastfeeding. I have a problem producing enough milk. It worked so well. I was so happy because I wanted to breast feed my last son w/o all the problems I had with my first two. I worked in less than 24 hrs. I took the drops. It makes you smell like syrup. I only used it for less than 24 hrs so that didn't concern me. I tell every new mother I know that really wants to breast feed and is having low milk problems.

MeccaMedinah said:
Notice that the only people even considering this pill have relaxers. Looks like having a natural head of hair is more than just a matter of preference. :cool:

And no I'd never take a pill that would change my hair texture. I don't fool with hormones.

Hmmm... interesting.

And to answer the question. No way, definately wouldn't do it. I like my natural hair too much. Geez, I wish some of those scientist would put their time into discovering some cures. :look:

MeccaMedinah said:

:yep:

And I would never take a pill made by Loreal to straighten my hair.

I guess I'm the only one that would try it. I would try it only if the hormone would not change the protein structure of any other body part other than the follicular canal and only if I were promised no horrible side effects. Shoot, I took Accutane for 5 months to get clear skin knowing that there were tons of possible side effects. I don't see why I wouldn't try this for a little while.

Whenever I see "drugs" invented to do this or that, I feel it's the pharmaceutical companies who want even more profit, at the risk of our health. For example, I hope they aren't using this drug for everyone:
There are various reasons to think this is possible. Aids patients treated with the drug interferon alpha have had their hair straightened as a result.
The grey hair reversal seems to be about replacing a protein rather than drugs and probably could be done with food. Whatever happens, all of this will certainly be hair industry-changing.

Back