Don't sleep on oil-rinses!

ubavka123

Ok, I finished the set. My hair is oily, but I won't fault the method as much as my heavy-handed enthusiasm. I can see myself doing this when my hair needs extra moisture (like it did now), but not something that I would do every wash. I will reduce the amount of oil next wash and see how that works. Either way, I like having this tool in my haircare arsenal! But if I want a bouncing, flowing set that's not weighed down, I cannot employ this method. Off to protective style...:)

ETA: I noticed as the day went on, that my hair absorbed a lot of the excess oil, and the greasiness was abated. I still cannot wear my hair down like this because it is weighed down, but the greasy feel has been replaced by mostly softness. I like it!

Last edited:

sareca

Ok, I finished the set. My hair is oily, but I won't fault the method as much as my heavy-handed enthusiasm. I can see myself doing this when my hair needs extra moisture (like it did now), but not something that I would do every wash. I will reduce the amount of oil next wash and see how that works. Either way, I like having this tool in my haircare arsenal! But if I want a bouncing, flowing set that's not weighed down, I cannot employ this method. Off to protective style...:)

ETA: I noticed as the day went on, that my hair absorbed a lot of the excess oil, and the greasiness was abated. I still cannot wear my hair down like this because it is weighed down, but the greasy feel has been replaced by mostly softness. I like it!

I'm heavy handed too. I also noticed my hair drinks the extra oil, but it's definitely looking like naturals and relaxed folks that wear Wash n Go styles benefit the most.

MonaLisa

Okay...

I'm finally going to try and give this a try. I'm up here printing out Sareca's instructions and figuring out where to implement the cassia treatment, but other than that, it should be cool.

Looking forward to the results :)

sareca

Okay...

I'm finally going to try and give this a try. I'm up here printing out Sareca's instructions and figuring out where to implement the cassia treatment, but other than that, it should be cool.

Looking forward to the results :)

On henna days I DC dry hair, rinse, henna, rinse, poo, apply oil, rinse, apply conditioner, rinse.

Last edited:

Ms.Joi

You're welcome. :hug2: I'm glad it worked for you. If you like oil rinses you're gonna love DC on dry hair w/ heat. :yep: That's basically my whole reggie now.

Now I have to say thanks again. I love the DC on dry hair and the oil rinses. Both of them are keepers for me. I love it!

malachi74

I'm mad....I've been searcching for this thread but for some reason it couldn't pop up. Anyway, here I am, with DC in my hair and a cap on my head. Do you thinkit would be a bad decision to try this for the first time, but out of order? Can I try the oil rinse now, AFTER I rinse out the DC? I really want to try it today but I don't want any problems. :scratchch

sareca

I'm mad....I've been searcching for this thread but for some reason it couldn't pop up. Anyway, here I am, with DC in my hair and a cap on my head. Do you thinkit would be a bad decision to try this for the first time, but out of order? Can I try the oil rinse now, AFTER I rinse out the DC? I really want to try it today but I don't want any problems. :scratchch

I do it all the time. :yep:

chellero

Wife Supremacist
This is still working really well for me. I noticed that after oil rinsing every time I wet my hair that on comb thru/detangle day I am not losing much hair at all.

MonaLisa

*I swear on my cat....that I'm sitting here right now with oil dripping down my neck thinking...."Ya know....Sareca never said how long the oil really needed to be on..." -- but I'm thinking when it starts to drip from under the plastic cap...that might be the time to rinse out....:look:*

Ms.Joi

*I swear on my cat....that I'm sitting here right now with oil dripping down my neck thinking...."Ya know....Sareca never said how long the oil really needed to be on..." -- but I'm thinking when it starts to drip from under the plastic cap...that might be the time to rinse out....:look:*

You don't have to keep it on long at all. A few minutes is just fine.

sareca

:lachen::lachen::lachen: I'm always in a hurry and mine rarely stays on for more than 30-60 seconds. :ohwell: Longer works better when I can find the time.

Last edited:

MonaLisa

Mo says thank you to Joi and Sareca....:yep:

*many, many, many, many, many.....many....minutes....after rinsing out the oil and conditioning* :look: *now I know...*

Adding: Forgot to say -- ME LIKEY! WILL BE IMPLEMENTING INTO THE REGIME...

*that is all*

Last edited:

sareca

Mo says thank you to Joi and Sareca....:yep:

*many, many, many, many, many.....many....minutes....after rinsing out the oil and conditioning* :look: *now I know...*

Adding: Forgot to say -- ME LIKEY! WILL BE IMPLEMENTING INTO THE REGIME...

*that is all*

Excellent!

Last edited:

AtlantaJJ

What type of oil did you use?

shellatl

I agree, I did the oil rinse yesterday, and today my hair is an oil slick. ick!!! I may use a dab of shea butter next time.

ubavka123

What type of oil did you use?

EVOO. The oil was absorbed over time. Now my hair is normal, just not light and bouncy like I like it to be to wear it out. It is weighed down. I think Sareca is right that this method gets better luck with the wash and go's and other natural curly styles (especially for relaxed/fine-haired ones like myself). Now, I will continue to drop oil in my conditioner, I just won't be putting it on without mixing it in something first. I have done that for a long time and my hair loves it. So, I will return to that method.

Diya

It took me a while to get around to trying this, but I did it yesterday and I love it! I added a couple drops of castor oil to a palmfull of keraphix and applied it as a prepoo. Then I rinsed, DC'ed with humectress for 30 minutes with heat, rinsed, applied a capful of avocado oil to my hair in the shower, rinsed and styled in an airdried flexirod set (see avatar).

The shine was amazing! :love: And as I'm getting ready for bed tonight, I find my hair doesn't even need moisturizer! I think this technique will be a keeper for me.

Moroni

Sareca, I tried the oil rinse today, and I was sooooo disappointed, because I was looking forward to the slip. After reading a few other posts (I'm a newbie), I think my problem is porosity, and I probably need to find the right oil for my 4b superfine relaxed hair.

What I did notice though, was the gloss! Wow. I can hardly wait to get this cuticle problem handled (I read about Porosity Control and ACV, so I'll try one of them on Thursday). I'm doing the boot camp challenge (in the closet since I found out about it too late), so I'll probably wear braid outs or roller sets for the next 6 months. I also noticed that one of the strands that I shed was super strong! MY HAIR! HA! That's never happened before, so maybe I'm not as disappointed as I thought! And I think I read somewhere that it just gets better the more you do it, so, I take the disappointment statement back. I'm truly grateful for the tip, and I'm going to do it faithfully. I'll be sure to report my results.

If you have a suggestion for a great oil and cuticle sealant for 4b hair, please sound off!

sareca

Sareca, I tried the oil rinse today, and I was sooooo disappointed, because I was looking forward to the slip. After reading a few other posts (I'm a newbie), I think my problem is porosity, and I probably need to find the right oil for my 4b superfine relaxed hair.

What I did notice though, was the gloss! Wow. I can hardly wait to get this cuticle problem handled (I read about Porosity Control and ACV, so I'll try one of them on Thursday). I'm doing the boot camp challenge (in the closet since I found out about it too late), so I'll probably wear braid outs or roller sets for the next 6 months. I also noticed that one of the strands that I shed was super strong! MY HAIR! HA! That's never happened before, so maybe I'm not as disappointed as I thought! And I think I read somewhere that it just gets better the more you do it, so, I take the disappointment statement back. I'm truly grateful for the tip, and I'm going to do it faithfully. I'll be sure to report my results.

If you have a suggestion for a great oil and cuticle sealant for 4b hair, please sound off!

Did you rinse with cold water? Are you rollersetting or airdrying? What conditioners/oils did you use?

Slicksista has a great article on hair porosity and she documented what was basically my experience... protein helps with porosity more than PC or ACV. I tried ACV rinses and they definitely help, so does cold water rinsing but until my hair had the right protein/moisture balance was still porous. Also did you test it? See if it floats in water for 2 minutes...

sareca

Twisties had an idea I love. if your hair is thick or you're natural or an relaxed hair airdrier, try heavier oils. If your hair is thinner or you rollerset, you might want to go with the lighter oils.

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?p=2902947#post2902947
* thanks Twisties*

So let's list heavy oils vs lights oils.

heavy
castor oil
red palm oil
grapeseed oil
olive oil?

light oils
meadowfoam oil
jojoba oil
alma oil
avocado oil
coconut oil (??)

Last edited:

MsKipani

just want to say i tried it and loved it! i used vatika and aphogee essential oils... it's definitely a part of my regimen now!

Moroni

Did you rinse with cold water? Are you rollersetting or airdrying? What conditioners/oils did you use?

Slicksista has a great article on hair porosity and she documented what was basically my experience... protein helps with porosity more than PC or ACV. I tried ACV rinses and they definitely help, so does cold water rinsing but until my hair had the right protein/moisture balance was still porous. Also did you test it? See if it floats in water for 2 minutes...

Well, I'm here to report my results from last night: I pre-pooed, rinsed and used Nexxus Aloe poo as a clarifier, then used the oil (combination of EVOO and almond). I must say the results were much more agreeaable. Then I DC'd with heat, rinsed in COLD water (brrrrr!) and used Suave Humectant and Infusium 23 as my leave-ins. Much better results, and they will probably be even better the NEXT time (tomorrow), I'm definitely NOT giving up on oil rinses, it just makes sense to do them.

My hair is too fine for a loose air dry, and it breaks whenever I try rollersets, so I have to either braid it or put it up in a bun....working on what to do with it after I wash it.....Any suggestions for a thread to go to?

sareca

Well, I'm here to report my results from last night: I pre-pooed, rinsed and used Nexxus Aloe poo as a clarifier, then used the oil (combination of EVOO and almond). I must say the results were much more agreeaable. Then I DC'd with heat, rinsed in COLD water (brrrrr!) and used Suave Humectant and Infusium 23 as my leave-ins. Much better results, and they will probably be even better the NEXT time (tomorrow), I'm definitely NOT giving up on oil rinses, it just makes sense to do them.

My hair is too fine for a loose air dry, and it breaks whenever I try rollersets, so I have to either braid it or put it up in a bun....working on what to do with it after I wash it.....Any suggestions for a thread to go to?

One more thing might help... try skipping the poo and just cowash. My hair breaks after I poo.

honeybadgirl

i think i'm going to join the club. i'm really nervous because using oils excessively ruins my hair!:perplexed
i do love amla oil though and will do it with that. i was mixing oil(amla) with my prepoos and my hair was much easier to detangle. i guess that had something to do with it. i was wondering why my hair was all of a sudden easier to manage when i was natural:grin:

Last edited:

natieya

Well, after using this method for a few weeks, I have come to the conclusion that this works for me!!!
Thank you so much Sareca! :blowkiss::bighug::iloveyou:
I don't comb/brush my hair everyday...and this time I hadn't combed my hair in about a week. When I did this method, after adding in the conditioner, it cut down my detangling time significantly! Also, my hair air dried soft successfully for the first time ever! You're so helpful! Thanks so much for spreading the word about this fabulous technique.

Much luv....

sareca

i think i'm going to join the club. i'm really nervous because using oils excessively ruins my hair!:perplexed
i do love amla oil though and will do it with that. i was mixing oil(amla) with my prepoos and my hair was much easier to detangle. i guess that had something to do with it. i was wondering why my hair was all of a sudden easier to manage when i was natural:grin:

I bet it did. :yep:

sareca

Well, after using this method for a few weeks, I have come to the conclusion that this works for me!!!
Thank you so much Sareca! :blowkiss::bighug::iloveyou:
I don't comb/brush my hair everyday...and this time I hadn't combed my hair in about a week. When I did this method, after adding in the conditioner, it cut down my detangling time significantly! Also, my hair air dried soft successfully for the first time ever! You're so helpful! Thanks so much for spreading the word about this fabulous technique.

Much luv....

:club:
Congrats!