Don't sleep on oil-rinses!

Alls I can say is WOW! I read this and was like yeah ok... knowing that my hair had been tangling lately when wet.

So anyway, I henna'd for the first time last night and afterward my hair was very hard. So I washed with a detangling shampoo that usually works but it just tangled it more. I wanted to cry becuase it was so matted, but then I thought of this thread and grabbed my EVOO and started slathering it on and trying to gently comb it through. ( bad move but I couldn't remember exactly what to do.) So anyways..I go back under the shower and when the water hit my hair it literally detangled itself!!! I was like WTF! This is definitely a part of my regimen now..

Thanks Sareca!

Alls I can say is WOW! I read this and was like yeah ok... knowing that my hair had been tangling lately when wet.

So anyway, I henna'd for the first time last night and afterward my hair was very hard. So I washed with a detangling shampoo that usually works but it just tangled it more. I wanted to cry becuase it was so matted, but then I thought of this thread and grabbed my EVOO and started slathering it on and trying to gently comb it through. ( bad move but I couldn't remember exactly what to do.) So anyways..I go back under the shower and when the water hit my hair it literally detangled itself!!! I was like WTF! This is definitely a part of my regimen now..

Thanks Sareca!

:lachen::lachen::lachen: That's hilarious! I've been laughing for 5 minutes.

I Tried this FINALLY!!!!
I rinsed my hair shampooed with pantene smooth and sleek shampoo rinsed again and applied Pantene oil replacement creme just two blob sized amounts for all of my head! As I applied it felt amazing then when i rinsed I was just amazed at how smooth my hair felt. Ia pplied more conditioner after even though I needn't have becasue my hair was so smooth and detangled.
So i applied my other conditioner and showered tnen rinsed I could not believe how well behaved my hair was!
This is the answer to ALL bad hair days do this and you wont ever have one1
Thanks Sareca for sharing!!!

When I first joined the board I use to do this with amla oil. My hair alway felt better with and oil rinse that after condtioning. I was and still am convinced that my hair like oil rinses more that conditioners. So when I take my braids out I'm thinking of shampooing and oil rinsing and conditioning ocassionally.

I'm so used to tangles every time I wash and then detangle no matter what I do. I alternate protein and moisture, and I do DRC treatments every 4 weeks, so I dont know what the heck else to do. I think I may have to try this. My hair is somewhat fine, so I think I'm gonna use the Amla oil and then air dry. I'm also gonna try the DC on dry hair. Do u use any cheapie conditioner for this? Sereca, I'll let u know how it turns out.

What kind of castor oil are you ladies using? I have some JBCO that I need to use up. The Jojoba oil is working so well for me, I hate to mess up a good thing and try anything else. I am now 11 weeks post and this is my third oil rinse. Today I did my oil rinse and I kid you not this was the easiest detangle yet and no shedding while detangling under water. Usually when I hit week 8 I dread washing my hair. Now I actually look forward to it!

I do pretty well with my detangling thanks to Silicon Mix but it's always nice to have another alternative.

Thanks for this thread! :)

Okay...

I tried this a few weeks ago w/ almond oil and didn't like it. Since I'm trying to be less of a bandwagon jumper on-er, I was gonna leave the oil rinses alone all together.

Then I kept reading how people had different results with different oils and I decided to try EVOO instead.

Can you say miracle???!!!!!

For some reason the olive oil worked so much better, the detangling was awesome, and call me crazy but I think my hair even dried faster.

Thank you Sareca!!! :urock:

Alrighty now!! Thanks for saving a space for me on the SARECA OIL RINSE TRAIN!!! Just did a dry hair,heavy handed coconut oil slather. I then really warm-near hot rinsed it out, applied some NEXXUS HUMECTRESS for about 3 minutes, rinsed warm then as cold as I could stand it rinse. Little bit of SURGE WOOJEE cream. Fragile ends so no comb out., single back braid and my hair looks and feels great. About 10 strands lost was all. YEE-HAW!

My auntie use to do something similar to this with my hair when i was younger she would wash my hair with palmer coconut shampoo and then she'd fill the sink up with water, put olive oil in the water and rinse my hair. Then dry it and proceed with styling....those were the good days, mine and my cousins hair wereall very healthy. I don't remember if it helped detangle though..

I tried this for the first time today. What a big difference! My hair was easier to comb and to part! I still have alot to learn, but with time I hope it will help me to have success styling my hair. Thank you for posting this info.

Typically I ignore threads about detangling methods and products. I have for the last year or so. I thought my hair's health or my big chop had something to do with how easily it detangles. That is absolutely NOT the case. The oil-rinse method is why it detangles so easily. My hair completely detangles under just running water! :eek: Keep in mind I've recently adopted a low manipulation regimen. So the last time I detangled was at least a week (or more) ago.

If you're having problems with tangles try this...
  1. Rinse (or shampoo) your hair
  2. Coat in your favorite oil (I've used olive, meadowfoam, dabur alma, and aphogee EFA oil, red palm oil/butter)
  3. Rinse with warm/hot water
  4. Apply conditioner
  5. Rinse
  6. Apply leave-in
  7. Seal
I'm not alone other people think it a miracle too...http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?p=2679989#post2679989

Don't sleep on oil-rinses! It may be your hair miracle. :yep:

I just tried it. I love it. Detangling has never been easier.

Steps 2 and 4 got combined because I forgot about the oil and applied my conditioner as usual. So I just slapped some coconut oil on top, left it in for about 3 minutes, rinsed and WOW.

That's all I have to say.

Thanks Sareca!

I forgot to add that my hair stayed soft when it dried. Never has it been like this before. I love it! I will be doing this from now on.:yep:

I have been following this thread since, like, page 20 and I finally broke down and tried it. It works! I did it on my own hair and it was great but on my daughters hair! WOW!

She had been wearing 3 little afro puffs for about 1 week (yeah I know...I was being lazy) and it was a tangled mess! I had to cut the twisties out of her hair that is how bad it was. I washed and then put coconut oil on her hair while we were both in the shower. Let me tell you, those tangles began to disintegrate before my eyes! All I was doing was separating her hair under the shower head with my fingers and it was actually detangling all that hiar! I was truly amazed! I thought detangling was going to be a nightmare but it was a breeze. Thanks Sareca!

Oh and let me add that immediately after I oil rinsed I use my Maxiglide.

This is what I did:
1.washed hair
2. oil rinse
3. Deep cond (30 min) with DPR-11 with loads of honey added
4. washed out deep cond with shampoo to get rid of all the oil so that I would not cook my hair with the Maxiglide and oil left on the hair.
5.Put on cheapie cond and rinsed.
6. Blow dried hair on lowest setting
7. Maxiglided

I said all that to say this: My hair has NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER EVER been this soft. It almost dont even feel like its real hair and its still soft and I did this like, a week ago. I am not sure what to attribute this to but I have never done an oil rinse before so I figured that had a lot to do with it.

Thanks again Sareca!

Oh and let me add that immediately after I oil rinsed I use my Maxiglide.

This is what I did:
1.washed hair
2. oil rinse
3. Deep cond (30 min) with DPR-11 with loads of honey added
4. washed out deep cond with shampoo to get rid of all the oil so that I would not cook my hair with the Maxiglide and oil left on the hair.
5.Put on cheapie cond and rinsed.
6. Blow dried hair on lowest setting
7. Maxiglided

I said all that to say this: My hair has NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER EVER been this soft. It almost dont even feel like its real hair and its still soft and I did this like, a week ago. I am not sure what to attribute this to but I have never done an oil rinse before so I figured that had a lot to do with it.

Thanks again Sareca!

:lachen:@ the Never-evers

I did the same thing this morning! :huh: I haven't straightened my hair in months. I don't know what possessed me, but after I was done I kept saying... Is this MY hair?! Is this REAL hair!

Weird.

Last edited:
:lachen:That is too funny!

Now....get to :Flahsssss Missy!

Yes ma'am. *hangs head*

ETA:

100_7797-vi.jpg
100_7818-vi.jpg

100_78042-vi.jpg
100_7867-vi.jpg

ETA: I don't know why it looks greasy. I did an oil rinse, but it doesn't feel oily at all. :(

Last edited:
Back