NO heat challenge 1/1/12 to 1/1/13

itismehmmkay

Starting pics

MsDes

I'm so in. I will probably use heat for the last time for New Year's Eve because I plan on going out. Good luck ladies, we can do it!

MissAlinaRose

Can I get down with the challenge too? I committed myself to a heat fast after straightening for Thanksgiving and this would be perfect!

ProductJunkie

Can I get down with the challenge too? I committed myself to a heat fast after straightening for Thanksgiving and this would be perfect!

OMG MissAlinaRose I LOVE YOUR BLOG! And you HAIR! I was laying in bed feeling sorry for myself (don't feel well) But now I'm off to wash detangle and try your twist out! OMG it is so shiny and just soft and moisturized looking! I wish I could come to your house and get my hair done....

*okay hair stalking moment over*

MissAlinaRose

OMG @MissAlinaRose I LOVE YOUR BLOG! And you HAIR! I was laying in bed feeling sorry for myself (don't feel well) But now I'm off to wash detangle and try your twist out! OMG it is so shiny and just soft and moisturized looking! I wish I could come to your house and get my hair done....

*okay hair stalking moment over*

Aww thank you so much sweetie! I appreciate it very much.

nakialovesshoes

Wanted to post some starting pics. I took these today. I am 1 month post my BC. I will be PSing with plaits under wigs & headwraps & I may occasionally get tree braids/full head weaves during this challenge. See you guys at the finish line!

Length Check Front 121211.jpgLength Check Left Side 121211.jpgLength Check Right Side 121211.jpgTWA 121211.jpgLength Check Back 121211.jpg

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
Wow! Good challenge. And good thing you started this thread early before the new year. I'll have to think about this one. I have been going back and forth with using heat and not using heat. I feel like my hair does better with heat. However, I have figured out a no heat regimen for my hair, but not sure if I'm willing to go through with it for a whole year. I get quite bored with my hair quickly. But I'll see once I think on it. ;)

I have taken a good 3 months to think about this challenge and I'm going to give a try! I can't believe I'm saying this! :covereyes

However, I believe my frequent use of the flat iron has hindered my length retention over the years. Plus, after seeing how Ms Lala's hair has taken off in length after she stopped using heat and keeping her hair in twists, I am convinced. Plus, there are several other women who retained length by keeping their hair in twists without heat over the years. I wish I had listened to them and stopped fooling with my hair.

As of right now, I haven't used heat since September. So I'll see if I reap the benefits from not using it for a whole year. :yep:

I'll be back in January to post a starting picture. :grin:

Forever in Bloom

I may have to leave this challenge before it even starts :sad:

I don't really feel like flat ironing my hair at all before the end of the year, but I am sure the urge will hit me sometime in the Spring...

Plus, the last time I straightened was on November 28, 2010

Yeah, I'm accurate like that.

Technically, I've already done my year and I'm happy I made it this far.

I may not straighten. Who knows? I just re-joined a gym, so I plan on sweating a lot and getting in shape. It may be the last thing on my mind.

I wish you all the best of luck. If I can hold out for a year and stay in protective styles, I know you all can handle a few months being heat free :grin:

Ronnieaj

After giving this more thought, I think that I shall not straighten until my 5-year anniversary in March 2013!!! Bwahahahahaha! I haven't blowdried since July 2011, and haven't flatironed since April 2011. This would be almost 2 full years sans flatiron, and close to that sans blowdrying. My hair is doing the happy dance :grin:.

SimJam

ready.

starting pictures, taken december 24

Attachments

• front 24 dec 2011.jpg
    front 24 dec 2011.jpg
    189.3 KB · Views: 21
  • temple 24 dec 2011.jpg
    temple 24 dec 2011.jpg
    176.9 KB · Views: 18
  • RT nape 24 dec 2011.jpg
    RT nape 24 dec 2011.jpg
    201.9 KB · Views: 19

TriniStarr

I was thinking about doing something like this a couple of weeks ago. WAIT, we can use a hooded dryer right? B/c i wash and set my hair upper a hooded dryer every Sunday. If it is ok to use a hooded dryer for this challenge, than sign me up. I will post pics later.

Evolving78

what about needed to straighten for trims? i rarely use heating tools anyway, but i am relaxed. i can't see myself trimming my hair curls or twists? i would have to wait until my hair is long enough to roll with big enough rollers to get a straighter set and roller wrap?