NO heat challenge 1/1/12 to 1/1/13

I'm in this challenge. I plan to be in braids for the whole year so heat should not be an issue...

I'm in!

I'm getting a trim this weekend. More like a cut because its going to be about an inch. But it is much needed and my hair has an attitude from my abusive heat in the past. So I'm we're in counseling to get this relationship back in good standing. This challenge will serve as one of our exercises.

*thinking* Do we get just one heat pass??? Like a half way point like in June or something? Come on... Help a LHCF sister out??? I usually flat iron 4 times a year or less but dang not even once... I would really have to depend on you ladies for style tutorials not just ideas... :( :) I just don't know... I'll think about it...
Great challenge though

I'm in! I will only be using my hooded dryer to deep condition so that will not conflict with the rules. Here is my starting pic - about 2" away from APL. Hope to be at least grazing BSL by the end of next year.

Last edited:
Still contemplating if I should flat iron my hair before the end of the year. My 4 year natural anniversary is December 6th, but I'm not revealing my hair until the HYH Challenge is over on 12/31

It's been almost a year now since I used a flatiron, and only a few months since I used a blow dryer (but only on cool, so no biggie). I'm just deathly afraid of the heat.

Decisions, decisions!! :wallbash:

I'm in! We're not counting steamers, right? I think I'm going to reincorporate steaming into my reggie.

Whoops, you already answered this. Okay, I'm in!

Okay, Hooked on Phonics did not work for me. So... we can't use heat eva? I flat iron for my personal length checks every few months. I'm out!

Last edited:
I think I'm gonna have to join this challenge!

I have been having fun with my twists and I just told myself the other day that I was gonna go a full year without heat.

Now, if I can just not be so lazy and find the time to post some pics of my hair...

I'm in. So far I haven't used any direct heat since April. So I'm already 7 months w/o heat.

I use a heat cap for DCs when I'm not being lazy. I have a TWA and wear my hair in little pixie plaits under wigs & headwraps. I co-wash daily/every other day. I baggy at night with a growth aid on my scalp. My current growth aid is JBCO/EVCO & sulfur.

I'm excited. I'm expecting a dramatic before & after pic for this challenge.

Good luck ladies. Let's do this!

I'm in!!!!!! i gave my straighteners to my housemate whose moved back to kenya, just to prevent me from straightening it. it's working very well!

I really want to join but I'm nervous! I haven't used heat since around February of this year. It just doesn't work well with growing my hair. But I do sometimes like to flat iron for special occasions...uugggghhhh...it would be really awesome reveal after the year though. WHAT TO DO...??? Would I still be able to use my steamer?

Ok so I read through the pages and found the answer to my question about my steamer...I was thinking that I may want to flat iron for special occasions but I think I'm gonna save my special occasions for braid/twists outs and wearing my hair down since I never wear it down. It's been a long time already since I've used heat and I don't miss it...UUGGGHH, ok count me in! I need this. I wana make BSL next year and that can't happen if I'm frying my ends. This will be fun. Thanks for making this thread!

I'm in IF someone can help me learn how to dust my ends while curly. I dust every 3 months but only on flatironed hair. Any tips? I worry about dusting while in twists because it's uneven.

I think it depends on how you wear your hair. If you wear it curly, who's really going to notice :look:? I plan to dust every 8 weeks in twists, and once the challenge is over I'll flatiron to straighten

Sent from my DROID2 using DROID2

But when I do flatiron I want it even. I don't want to have to lose length to even it up. Also, my OCD wont allow me to cut it uneven (seriously :look: )

I want to join but I will be ending my transition sometime next year so my pics won't be accurate for comparison. I will be following unofficially.

Aw man. Surely gonna lurk! I promised myself no heat after today until march. If that works well for me, then I will unofficially continue no heat on my own. But I need my hooded dryer. I can't sleep in wet hair when it's cold out :-/. Fantastic thread! I will surely do it in 2013 though. That's my year to reach waist length heheheeee...

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF :)

But when I do flatiron I want it even. I don't want to have to lose length to even it up. Also, my OCD wont allow me to cut it uneven (seriously :look: )

Heat free trim - Make small braids or twists and snip the ends of those. Also you can probably find information about curly hair cutting techniques on e.g. naturally curly.

I'm in! I wear braids 99% of the time, so this should be easy. The only hard part will be not falling prey to the flat iron to check my length.......... I can do this!!!!!!

I really want to join this but I may have to pass. I have not used heat since August and I don't have any plans to use heat. However I straighten my hair to trim and I don't want to change that regimen.

This is hard core. I straighten once every three months. If there were "passes" allowed in the challenge, I would be down, but I really like the fact that this challenge is only for the truly committed folk. Good luck to all who participate! I can't wait to lurk and check out your big finale pics.

Hey ladies :) Good to see new participants :yep: It's almost time!! If you want to straighten for the last time before the new year you have a few more weeks. January 1st it's on and crackin. We can do it and our hair is going to lurve us :yep:

I am in........ until December 31, 2012 :lachen:

I haven't used a flat iron since May and last used a blow dryer for all of 2 minutes in September. I can do this, but I want to straighten for NYE in 2012 for the first time.

I'm in!! This should be easy for the first half of the year since I currently have less than 2 inches of hair.

Any naturals in this challenge aspire to being no heat naturals one day? I was natural before & never got to know what my true texture was because I had been straightening while transitioning & straightening as a natural & I definitely had some heat damage (from loosened curls to straight pieces).

I'm excited about getting the length & actually seeing what my hair really looks like. I'm committed to this challenge for 2012 & 2013! If & when I straighten again, it won't be until either my son graduates from high school or my 40th b-day (both in 2014).

oooo I'm in! I've only used heat once since going natural and that was to do a length check recently.. I can DEF do without the length check using heat tho (didn't want to do it when I did it in the first place) :look:

Any naturals in this challenge aspire to being no heat naturals one day? I was natural before & never got to know what my true texture was because I had been straightening while transitioning & straightening as a natural & I definitely had some heat damage (from loosened curls to straight pieces).

nakialovesshoes, I aspire to use heat significantly less than I do now. I need to get through this year before I can say that I want to do it permanently - again. :)

There was a time when I was a no heat natural and then one day I just started using the blow dryer again after years of shunning it, then it was a hot comb, then the flat iron. The abuse just escalated!

I would like to see how long I can go without using heat. I love my blow dryer, but I'm pretty sure I've been over doing it.

Back