NO heat challenge 1/1/12 to 1/1/13

I'm going have to drop this challenge. I've recently started doing ponytail rollersets and I'm hooked! :yep:

The problem is that I can't get them to airdry for nothin'! :nono: So I have to use my hooded dryer part of the time to get the set to dry completely.

Good Luck ladies!

I am in........ until December 31, 2012 :lachen:

I haven't used a flat iron since May and last used a blow dryer for all of 2 minutes in September. I can do this, but I want to straighten for NYE in 2012 for the first time.

ETA: Starting pics

Last edited:
Hi all,
I was on the fence about this challenge, then I flat ironed my bangs (December) , to the point of heat damage :perplexed I hope its not too late to join, my hair needs serious recovery!!!

NL
Natural 4b
PS: wigs, faux puffs, and twists

Attachments

• tiff.jpg
    tiff.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 12
Ebonybunny definitely not too late!

Hello beautiful ladies! Today is the second and we are a full day into the challenge. How does everyone feel? My hair had been in twists for two days now and I'll be doing a twist out this morning. I will use that as my starting picture.

Also I will be working on a yt video if I can find my darn video camera. If not I will have to use the one on my laptop which sucks!

I two strand twisted my hair last night. Took forever! I had to keep stopping and also I did them smaller than usual. I am hoping to keep them in for 2 weeks and redo them for another 2 weeks after that. We'll see how they hold up! I'll be GHE'ing every night and M&S'ing nightly along with applying MT and Beemine sulfer serum mix to my scalp every other night and massaging. I am having a hard time uploading pics. It keeps saying upload failed. Does anyone know how I can upload pics?

I two strand twisted my hair last night. Took forever! I had to keep stopping and also I did them smaller than usual. I am hoping to keep them in for 2 weeks and redo them for another 2 weeks after that. We'll see how they hold up! I'll be GHE'ing every night and M&S'ing nightly along with applying MT and Beemine sulfer serum mix to my scalp every other night and massaging. I am having a hard time uploading pics. It keeps saying upload failed. Does anyone know how I can upload pics?

Can you put them on photobucket first then put the image code on your post?

Here are my starting pics :)

Attachments

• 2012-01-02 13.53.16.jpg
    2012-01-02 13.53.16.jpg
    196.1 KB · Views: 16
  • 2012-01-02 13.53.43.jpg
    2012-01-02 13.53.43.jpg
    189.5 KB · Views: 14
Here are my starting pics taken on freshly washed hair. I am keeping it in 2 strand twists for 2 weeks (HOPEFULLY!) and then going to take them out and redo after a good wash and DC for another 2 weeks and see how my retention is at the end of the month. The last pic there is a black mark on the back of my shirt. That is where my hair was in October but it was just a funky part of my hair that was about 1" longer than the rest so I had it cut off and now my hair has grown past that mark now! That's about 1 1/2" in a little over 2 months maybe even closer to 2" because the very ends of my hair are sticking out a little at the bottom of my hubby's fingers. That's awesome retention and growth for me! YAY MT!! The bra pic is just to show where my armpits are to see how close I am to APL.

Picture078.jpg

Picture079.jpg

Picture080.jpg

Picture075-1-1.jpg

my first style of the year (i didnt actually do it)
DSC02239.jpg

I didnt know corn rows could look decent without blowing out first. :giggle:

I stretched my hair by putting it into a low pony puff. Next time I will probably do four or 5 pony puffs and maybe band each one to further stretch.

Last edited:
my first style of the year (i didnt actually do it)
DSC02239.jpg

I didnt know corn rows could look decent without blowing out first. :giggle:

I stretched my hair by putting it into a low pont puff. Next time I will probably do four or 5 pony puffs and maybe band each one to further stretch.
Looks great!!!!!!

I henna'd this past weekend (usual New Years hair thing) and did about 8 chunky twists (air dried of course). I made a bun out of the twists on Monday & Tuesday, then I took them down and did a messy bun yesterday, today and tomorrow.

I'm working this weekend, but taking a long weekend for MLK Day. I'll post my starting pics then.

Last edited:
Just wash and gos and puffs. I am leaving my experimenting until March or I get bored then I'll try some curlformers and flexirods.

I have been rocking my lace front wig Joy by Model Model, while I have my hair in two braids underneath. Just keepin it simple and not interested in any heat. By the way my starting pic is in my siggy because I straightened it for Christmas to get a proper length check.

I finished my two-strand twists tonight; before then I was just rocking a wash-n-go for days. I plan to leave the twists in for two weeks, take down for 2 days, then twist again and repeat. I originally intended to DC once every week, but think it'd be strange to DC with twists in (wouldn't it ruin them? I'd appreciate any input). For now, the plan is: scalp massages, DC and use ayurvedic rinses on hair out days, m&s when needed and ghe often (been doing this every day so far this year).

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1325827090728.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1325827090728.jpg
    260 KB · Views: 16
  • uploadfromtaptalk1325827116994.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1325827116994.jpg
    308 KB · Views: 21
  • uploadfromtaptalk1325827136213.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1325827136213.jpg
    328 KB · Views: 19
  • uploadfromtaptalk1325827182215.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1325827182215.jpg
    308 KB · Views: 20
I finished my two-strand twists tonight; before then I was just rocking a wash-n-go for days. I plan to leave the twists in for two weeks, take down for 2 days, then twist again and repeat. I originally intended to DC once every week, but think it'd be strange to DC with twists in (wouldn't it ruin them? I'd appreciate any input). For now, the plan is: scalp massages, DC and use ayurvedic rinses on hair out days, m&s when needed and ghe often (been doing this every day so far this year).

My guess is that you can dc in twists. Maybe try it at the end if your two week run to see how your hair looks and behaves. That way you won't have ruined a fresh set.

Just wash and gos and puffs. I am leaving my experimenting until March or I get bored then I'll try some curlformers and flexirods.

thats what I need to try this year:yep:

that wash and go was very cute !!!

I think it all depends on your hair and how it behaves when wet.
I cant co-wash or DC in twists and expect to look normal after ... they fuzz up, get tangled and begin to unravel. Some ladies have had success with wearing a stocking cap over their twists to reduce fuzzies, maybe you could try that.

if I have in cornrows I have a better chance of preserving the style

My guess is that you can dc in twists. Maybe try it at the end if your two week run to see how your hair looks and behaves. That way you won't have ruined a fresh set.

Thanks for that advice, I will definitely keep that in mind! I sprayed my hair and massaged conditioner in it, and it acted fine that way. I'm sure there will be a bit of experimentation in the process. :)

thats what I need to try this year:yep:

that wash and go was very cute !!!

I think it all depends on your hair and how it behaves when wet.
I cant co-wash or DC in twists and expect to look normal after ... they fuzz up, get tangled and begin to unravel. Some ladies have had success with wearing a stocking cap over their twists to reduce fuzzies, maybe you could try that.

if I have in cornrows I have a better chance of preserving the style

Thanks very much for your input! Oh and I second what Ogoma has said. After this first term of the twist/braid/bun challenge ends (March 31st) I may experiment with flexirods as well! :)

Anyhow, ok I'll test a small section of my hair out to see how my hair responds. That way I won't have to redo my whole head if it's bad. :grin:
Oil seems to keep my twists smooth so far, especially the ends. Again, thanks for the input! :yep:

I did a mid week co-wash on Weds for the first time in my 2 strand twists and the edges did friz a bit, but nothing too bad. I figured since I wana keep my twists in for 2 weeks and wash and DC in them I'll just have to redo the edges to keep them looking neat but leave the rest alone.

I've just been keeping my hair twisted under my bonnet. When i go out I just throw on a wig! Plan on wigging it all this year :)

Back