Zahara Jolie's "Uncombed Hair" (Article)

laurend

AA people put too much importance in hair. Look at the girl in the first picture on the right. Isn't that Zahara hair style?

Almaz

Okay her hair may not always look so great and these people are from the country side these are not city people. I have seen people in rural America look like this too Black and white.

Okay her hair may not always look great but at least she HAS hair and there is potential. Unlike some people on here that will always and forever look a hot mess with people lying to them on how good they look when it is complete and total BS.

Why are people so focused on a Babies head just thank G-d she has a family that adopted her and gave her a future and opportunity that some of us even with our birth families don't have the money and connections that she does. The Universe G-d or whatever you call it really was benevolent with this child.

KIM

laurend

Okay her hair may not always look so great and these people are from the country side these are not city people. I have seen people in rural America look like this too Black and white.

Okay her hair may not always look great but at least she HAS hair and there is potential. Unlike some people on here that will always and forever look a hot mess with people lying to them on how good they look when it is complete and total BS.

Why are people so focused on a Babies head just thank G-d she has a family that adopted her and gave her a future and opportunity that some of us even with our birth families don't have the money and connections that she does. The Universe G-d or whatever you call it really was benevolent with this child.

KIM

:blush:

jamaraa

Well to each is own!! I just hope this little girl doesnt grow up to have a complex about her hair like many of us did because of what people are writing about and judging about her now. If I was in the limelight and they snapped some pics of me with my natural hair out when I was young and wrote what they are writing Im sure I would be scared to ever rock my natural hair!!!
No hard feelings Im just saying let the girl be with the hair. It isnt that serious.

Nah...no hard feelings at all. I just don't like 'fros specifically, tho I'm natural and have been almost all of my life. LOL...I was 14, don't shoot me!

I honestly think alot of this complex is AMERICAN or EUROPEAN rather than African. Her hair looks fine to me, she's a kiddie. I never even considered it really. but it drives other folks wild. :grin:

Why do OTHER PEOPLE'S hair choices matter so much to some? I don't get it.

You'll appreciate this site...check it out:
http://nappysexyfly.blogspot.com/2009/05/my-daughters-beautiful-naps.html

Last edited:

jamaraa

KIM

You didn't go THERE didja? :lachen::lachen::grin::grin::yep::yep: You in trouble now!

Nova

There is nothing wrong with Zahara's hair! How does the reporter know Zahara doesn't get her hair combed? With all that is going on in the world, couldn't this woman write about something more important?

BlackMasterPiece

She's a baby! Her hair seems moisturized beautiful and detangled but even if it wasnt combed for a few days.......SO WHAT? Who cares if her hair isn't combed or put into 50-leven bows barrettes and beads, she's a baby thats well taken care of and loved all she cares about is playing, mommy and daddy and her brothers and sisters.

This woman should be ashamed of herself.....a sista at that:nono:

Let children be children, if you want a child to put elaborate styles in have a daughter.

jamaraa

AA people put too much importance in hair. Look at the girl in the first picture on the right. Isn't that Zahara hair style?

Tell da truf and shame the debil. Yup, it's mostly AAs who go ON and ON about Baby Z's hair. I think it's partly tied up (in this case) about her being raised by White folks. There's much ambivalence about this anyway, but Madonna seems to be doing what an AA would do to their kid's hair. IOW, Madonna seems to be keeping Mercy closer to her culture than Ang is w/ Z. I don't buy into that line of thinking, but I suspect that's what's behind the comparison of the two parents.

That article is horrible! I think the little girl's hair looks just fine. In that picture it looks shiny and healthy. I know my girlfriends are of that old school 'has to be braided up' mentality too.:sad:

Dak

I know I'm late on this thread to ask this, but what do you all mean by crawling?

jamaraa

I know I'm late on this thread to ask this, but what do you all mean by crawling?

By this I mean some of the hair comes out of the plait/braid/ponytail even if the hair's just been done. It's not really a grooming issue, just how the hair is. It's like it curls out of the plait. Sometimes it's on the top of the head and sometimes the plait/braid itself. You see it on children many times, esp. if their hair is not plaited/braided tightly. It's difficult to describe, but you know it when you see it. Any pic of Z w/ her hair in ponytails shows that the hair pulls away from the ponytail and may look messy to some. It can look a bit fuzzy. Many people (wrongly) do the hair tightly to avoid this.

This isn't a bad thing nor does it mean the hair's unhealthy. As you hair grows longer and more downward, the tendency for the hair to crawl goes down. I tend to see this w/ mixed kids alot. LOL...this is partly why so many think WW can't control their little girl's hair, but it's really just how the hair grows.

Last edited:

jamaraa

You san see the tendency for the hair to crawl in these pics

that's the fuzz here...it's the crawling hair.

Last edited:

Dak

Thanks for explaining, Jamarra! I didn't know there was a name for it, most of all of the pics of me as a child has hair that's doing just that. Eventually, my mom discovered Vitapoint, LOL.

jamaraa

Thanks for explaining, Jamarra! I didn't know there was a name for it, most of all of the pics of me as a child has hair that's doing just that. Eventually, my mom discovered Vitapoint, LOL.

LOL...my mother called "crawl" that, but other folks say "creep". At what point did you hair stop doing it so much? I think mine stopped around 10 or so.

MrJohnsonsRib

How sad that a grown woman would write about a little girl's hair! :nono: Is there nothing else she can be writing about? Perhaps use her voice to make a difference instead of pecking at a petty topic such as hair? To be honest, the author's hair looks dry and damaged in her picture. Zahara and her hair are beautiful - black, healthy-looking, and just gorgeous! I used to wear my hair like that when it was natural and I received nothing but compliments!

I must add that I don't think that a woman as beautiful and self-aware as Angelina Jolie, with a man also very self-aware as Brad Pitt would have their beautiful children walking around looking a mess! What about all of those models who sport the afro's and "crazy unkempt hair" look as a fashion statement? Is the author of this article living under a rock? Because I was sure that we had gone past those times when it was looked down upon to wear one's natural hair! Today's fashion is natural and being yourself - anything goes!

At the second paragraph- Nowadays the "messy look" is in....so somebody hasn't been up on their style game these days sheesh...lol! :lachen: Folks there are more important things to write articles about like 4 year olds abused and raped and murdered by uncaring parents etc....just sad. :nono: Folks are just too up in celebrities' business. Let them folks be. That girl is gorgeous and young and has parents who care about her. End of story. See that's my article- One sentence is all it took to describe what I think of Zahara's well being. Maybe Samuels should put her issues toward the chicks in the industry who actually look a mess. :eek:)

jamaraa

better crawling than too tight. Too tight will pull out the hair and mess up their edges before they enter kindergarten! :(

MrJohnsonsRib

Well personally, I don't dig afros...didn't in the 70s when my uncles used to do it to my hair and don't now. Sorry. I guess I was 'fromatized! :grin:

In terms of keeping a child's hair most convenient to kids and their activities, plaits w/o or miminal holders and stuff is probably the best bet. You'll have less tangles w/ plaits and subsequently hurt the kid less when you do whatever to it. This is why most folks opt for plaits of some sort. Frankly I'd be more concerned about OTHER kids messing w/ my kid's hair if left in a 'fro. I'm not just talking about teasing either, but kids trying to do things to their hair.

But see that's when I would just get the brakes beat off ym butt if somebody touched my hair. Mother's Law: Don't steal, don't lie, no boys and NOBODY PLAYING IN YO HAIR!!!!!!!!!! NOBODY!!!!:lachen:

jamaraa

^^^Yeah, I hear that...oh back in the day! Nowadays w/ all this PC stuff, nobody can catch a beat down for it! A WW friend of mine had her kid get a plait cut off by some kid.

Curlyt78

Actually, believe Jada and Will who are the major investors in Carols Daughter's hair products went to Angie and Brad to show them what to put on Zahara's hair and how it could be styled right after she was photographed with hair for the first time.
And if you have seen Jada, her kids (including the boys) and even her daughter on TV wear their hair the way Zahara is wearing her hair in that picture. Natural! Curls going free and wild. No one has ever said Jaden's (Jada's son) hair look undone or bad in the movies.

Actually, I'm glad her cute little curls aren't pulled back in those neat "too tight" ponytails that break the edges of the hair off. I really hate to see that!

Dak

LOL...my mother called "crawl" that, but other folks say "creep". At what point did you hair stop doing it so much? I think mine stopped around 10 or so.

Probably around 7 or 8, when my mom got more heavy handed with the hair grease. I wonder if it's because baby hair is finer?

Soude

Probably around 7 or 8, when my mom got more heavy handed with the hair grease. I wonder if it's because baby hair is finer?
I'm 18 and my hair still does that. I never heard my mom describe it as "crawling" or "creeping" (mabye cause she's Jamaican?) but when I told I wanted to go natural, she was like "Alright but you're gonna need some Frizz-ease."

I think it's partly tied up (in this case) about her being raised by White folks.

That's the damn truth and don't even get me started on these lying heifers who claim its not. People are so damn ignorant, all they see is color...ticks me off. My SO and I are HUGE proponents of adoption (personal experience) and TRUST when I say, a child doesn't give a damn about your skin color or whether or not you can tell them how to cornrow their hair...

All they want is to be loved, supported, and provided with a stable home and a loving family. That's it. But adults and their animosity regarding this chroma system they've embraced...they allow that to taint their thinking, even when it comes to the tiniest of children. It's ridiculous and despicable.

Interestingly enough, this is a bigger problem in the US than it is out here where I live. It makes me feel ashamed.

This girl was a tiny orphan who came from poverty and this ridiculous "article" has the AUDACITY to imply that African Americans are SO, SO shallow and unappreciative that we supposedly believe that somehow Zahara will "resent" her mother because Angelina's trying to give her love and a good home and stability when all Baby Z's tryin' to do is get her herrrrr did. Wha?? A good home and food on the table?? PLEASE, Z's trying to get it fried, dyed, and laid to the side...

Whatever, Ms. Brown/Samuels. Both of these women are idiotic and shameful.

I'm 18 and my hair still does that. I never heard my mom describe it as "crawling" or "creeping" (mabye cause she's Jamaican?) but when I told I wanted to go natural, she was like "Alright but you're gonna need some Frizz-ease."

I've never heard the term either, actually. I learn something new everyday here. :)

jamaraa

It could be fineness (mine was coarse tho, IMHO) but I think it's more that many kids' hair isn't fully grown in by her age (or even later) so it's not yet "even". Eveness is something people do to their hair, but it grows in willy nilly, if yu think about it. You see this in babies all the time.

I also think it's a texture thing too cuz even if you take a kid's hair that does this and really try to foce it down, it'll still move! You can do their hair in the AM and by the time they come home, it's fuzzy again. :grin: About the only thing you can do to "fix" it is gel it down...NO NO NO! IMHO, you just roll w/ it.....

My hair still crawls a bit when I don't plait it to my head and use a watery leave in (or plain water). I think it's just something SOME African textures do and it shows hair health, IMHO.

Oil DOES help, but if it crawls a bit, so what? :grin: Antifrizz stuff never worked for me, but crawl ain't frizz, I've decided!

Last edited:

jamaraa

That stuff probably won't work. LOL..it's rather "wet" I've found. Just put some oil on and keep on steppin'. Let it do what it wants to do :lachen:

jamaraa

Actually, believe Jada and Will who are the major investors in Carols Daughter's hair products went to Angie and Brad to show them what to put on Zahara's hair and how it could be styled right after she was photographed with hair for the first time.
And if you have seen Jada, her kids (including the boys) and even her daughter on TV wear their hair the way Zahara is wearing her hair in that picture. Natural! Curls going free and wild. No one has ever said Jaden's (Jada's son) hair look undone or bad in the movies.

Actually, I'm glad her cute little curls aren't pulled back in those neat "too tight" ponytails that break the edges of the hair off. I really hate to see that!

Ya know, I hadn't thought about Will and Jada's kids, but you're right. They don't get clowned. Perhaps it's because they are Black and people assume it's a deliberate decision on their part, but assume Ang is doing this out of White folks' ignorance of Black hair. (Not all WF are ignorant in this way, not by far)

LOL...maybe it's more eggregious for some to see someone White embracing "the nappy" than someone Black? :grin:

BlkOnyx488

Did Newsweek write an indepth article about Bobbi Christina's hair being jacked up when she was little girl and her Momma Whitney was hanging all over Bobby Brown when he got out jail for the 11th time????:rolleyes:

Anybody remember that?

jamaraa

That's the damn truth and don't even get me started on these lying heifers who claim its not. People are so damn ignorant, all they see is color...ticks me off. My SO and I are HUGE proponents of adoption (personal experience) and TRUST when I say, a child doesn't give a damn about your skin color or whether or not you can tell them how to cornrow their hair...

All they want is to be loved, supported, and provided with a stable home and a loving family. That's it. But adults and their animosity regarding this chroma system they've embraced...they allow that to taint their thinking, even when it comes to the tiniest of children. It's ridiculous and despicable.

Interestingly enough, this is a bigger problem in the US than it is out here where I live. It makes me feel ashamed.

This girl was a tiny orphan who came from poverty and this ridiculous "article" has the AUDACITY to imply that African Americans are SO, SO shallow and unappreciative that we supposedly believe that somehow Zahara will "resent" her mother because Angelina's trying to give her love and a good home and stability when all Baby Z's tryin' to do is get her herrrrr did. Wha?? A good home and food on the table?? PLEASE, Z's trying to get it fried, dyed, and laid to the side...

Whatever, Ms. Brown/Samuels. Both of these women are idiotic and shameful.

This woman has TONS of hangups to even write something like this. Who'd take this assignment anyway? Worse, who'd propose it? :lachen:

I honestly think she's worried that Z's identity will be screwed up starting w/ her hair, but why should Madonna be praised then? Last I looked, she too is White. LOL...she does the Mercy's hair in the "acceptable" way, so no worries. :rolleyes: