Zahara Jolie's "Uncombed Hair" (Article)

I thought I would post this link here to a (ridiculous) Newsweek article about Zahara, Angelina Jolie's daughter (I believe she went to Ethiopia to adopt her). No matter if we're relaxed, braided, natural, weaved, loc'd - whatever - I think any knowledgeable Black woman will recognize the self-loathing this article is laced with...

Notable WTF moments:

“She doesn’t know any better now, but she will once she gets into school and sees other little girls that look like her with combed and neat hair. She’s going to feel like the odd man out.’’

Brown says she worries that the little girl will one day resent her adopted mother.

In sharp contrast, Madonna, who adopted a little African girl earlier this year from Malawi, makes sure her daughter’s hair is either braided with beads or bows. Recent photos show the little girl modeling neatly done cornrows with white beads at the bottom—a la Venus and Serena Williams.

Yes, nevermind that her mother could have given birth to another child, but, instead CHOSE ZAHARA to be her daughter (which makes her and other adoptive children so special, to me)...nevermind that her mother gave her a loving home, stability, safety, a soft, warm bed, and nourishment...no, the utter fact that her hair isn't braided or to someone else's liking, THAT will make her resent her mother.

Give me a freaking break.

And a little off-topic, but "combing" hair is not a curly-girl's best-friend. That approach works best for straightened hair, imho...not curly, kinky hair. I use my fingers, not a comb.

Someone wrote the following comment below the article, which pretty much summed up my feelings:

My hair isn't unruly, and I am a black woman that wears her hair in it's natural state. If you are using hair as a determination of social standing, you must also be using the brown paper bag test, which in the year 2009 is sad and pathetic.
What makes you think Zahara's hair isn't well groomed and put together. I see nice, well moisturized coils and kinks, and her hair is beautiful as is without a damaging perm or heat damage from a hot comb. The problem with people like you is that to you kink is something to be ashamed of, for others kink is a source of pride and uniqueness. That is why the beauty industry makes so much money from black women, many are like you and have too much shame in what is natural, their own hair.
Zahara's hair looks combed, it looks as if her curls are well defined, not matted, or damaged, and not all self respecting black women conform to the standards that you do about their child's hair, and don't feel that the "kink" needs to be removed. Her hair is nice and neat, it has kink, because it's natural.
It's sad in the year 2009, women are still sitting around with no idea of how to care or even identify healthy natural hair, and that they have no idea how to deal with their own hair in it's natural state out of shame and conformity. I'm a black woman that can do a wash and go, work in a professional environment and get just as much respect as a woman donning a wig, weave, or perm.

Curious to hear what our relaxed, tex'd, and natural sisters have to say about this. Personally, this article is ridiculous, imho.

jamaraa

I can't believe a so called reputable mag wasted time like this. Zahara's hair does "crawl" but that's just how her hair is for now. Mine did so too when I was a kid, but when my hair grew longer, it no longer did. I had a great-grandmother who referred to it as "training" the hair.

laurend

I wonder what people would have said if Angelina had shaved Zahara's hair like many little girls on the continent. She's the mom and she can do what she wants with her daughter's hair. FYI, this article was discussed on the entertainment forum.

jamaraa

I wonder what people would have said if Angelina had shaved Zahara's hair like many little girls on the contintent. She's the mom and she can do what she wants with her daughter's hair. FYI, this article was discussed on the entertainment forum.

Shaving the hair (clutch pearls)...they'd totally have freaked. LOL

I'm impressed that BradnAng have decided to let nature take its course.

melissa-bee

I don't even know what to say, i can't believe they wrote that whole article on the appearance of a four year old child.

JayAnn0513

I make 30 look good!
What I cant beleive is that this is the writer...

Allison Samuels

30something

...jealously.. haters....trust me those kids are WELL taken cared of...

I'll just try not to be to offended by this article because you know what, not everyone is smart... I'll leave it at that

shunemite

Thanks OP, that mag is ignorant. Ethiopian and Somalian women are known round the world for their BEAUTIFUL natural thick curly hair. One of my Ethiopian co-workers had thick curly natural hair, she used to put EVCO on it at night, do 4 large cornrows, and in the morning take them out and she had a thick flowy braid out style down to her back. She would DC with yougurt, I'll never forget it......... whatever, if someone wants to call an Ethiopian woman's hair "unkempt" the rest of us appreciate it, that's what matters.

Last edited:

newbiemom

Her hair is fine. She doesn't look unkept. She looks like all the other children look freeform. The parents look like they allow them to wear what they like. I have not noticed the other children to be overly done up and Zahara to be a stand out. They all look casual.

JinaRicci

Sigh... reading this made me sick to my stomach. We have so much work to do and it has obviously got to start from within.

For one, being black does not make one the authority on all things black- hair, culture, ideals... and Newsweek seems to have made this "award-winning journalist" (whose sources for this article ranged from TMZ to a 35-yr old Zahara-stalker) a voice for black people. http://search.newsweek.com/search?byline=allison samuels&start=0

I am so proud of all the comments of outrage posted on the article- it seems that there are more of us who recognize this for what it is. Hope is alive!

jamaraa

What I cant beleive is that this is the writer...

Allison Samuels

Color me NOT SUPRISED that this is a BW.:rolleyes: The people I've been seeing complain most about Z's hair are Black folks. It shows that some people have tons of ignorance about natual hair in its various forms. Not all natural African hair behaves in the same way. Tho her hair "crawls", it's probably extremely soft which is partly why it crawls. :grin:

jamaraa

Thanks OP, that mag is ignorant. Ethiopian and Somalian women are known round the world for their BEAUTIFUL natural thick curly hair. One of my Ethiopian co-workers had thick curly natural hair, she used to put EVCO on it at night, do 4 large cornrows, and in the morning take them out and she had a thick flowy braid out style down to her back. She would DC with yougurt, I'll never forget it......... whatever, if someone wants to call an Ethiopian woman's hair "unkempt" the rest of us appreciate it, that's what matters.

Z will be a 15 when she grows up methinks. Not only that, she'll have a great mane of hair unlike too many other little Black girls who either got their hair literally ripped out of their scalps by too tight heavily groomed braids/plaits or relaxers.

Most of the E. African women I've seen don't even seek super straightness. (shrug)

Dak

"Photos of Zahara show the 4-year-old girl sporting hair that is wild and unstyled, uncombed and dry. Basically: a “hot mess.’’

If Zahara is going to look back on her childhood and ask anything, it's going to be where this author got off in saying in a National magazine that her natural God-given has was a "hot mess."

If the author knew anything about natural hair, she would never say that Zahara's hair was "unstyled, uncombed & dry." 4A/B hair doesn't always "shine," but it does have a "sheen."

I can see why Michael Jackson was so protective of his children and didn't allow them to be photographed, to avoid this kind of mess!

NappyGoddesse

How sad that a grown woman would write about a little girl's hair! :nono: Is there nothing else she can be writing about? Perhaps use her voice to make a difference instead of pecking at a petty topic such as hair? To be honest, the author's hair looks dry and damaged in her picture. Zahara and her hair are beautiful - black, healthy-looking, and just gorgeous! I used to wear my hair like that when it was natural and I received nothing but compliments!

I must add that I don't think that a woman as beautiful and self-aware as Angelina Jolie, with a man also very self-aware as Brad Pitt would have their beautiful children walking around looking a mess! What about all of those models who sport the afro's and "crazy unkempt hair" look as a fashion statement? Is the author of this article living under a rock? Because I was sure that we had gone past those times when it was looked down upon to wear one's natural hair! Today's fashion is natural and being yourself - anything goes!

Last edited:

jamaraa

Brad said they used Carol's Daughter products on Z...so they surely did give it some thought and research.

Last edited:
Another good comment from one of the readers of that "article" (read: garbage):

Let me get this straight: You're saying that because they're not doing Zahara's hair the way you want them to that they're bad parents? This is absurd. Not only do you disparage their parenting, but you make a four-year old's hairstyle a national story.

Zahara's hair not only looks groomed, but it looks healthy. This is insanity. It is unbelievable that you have made this your cause. As an African-American woman, I can only say that the fact that Zahara is not being taught (at least not by her parents) to hate an essential part of herself and to see it as a burden, is a blessing.

She'll get enough of your sort of talk when she goes to school and has to face those children who believe because she's different, there's something wrong with her. To get it at the age of four from a national publication is absolutely astounding to me.

I applaud Jolie and Pitt for allowing her to accept her hair as it is. More parents should be like that.

Shame on you, Ms. Samuels. Her hair is not damaged, it's beautiful and if you were able to take your Jim Crow blinders off long enough, you'd see that.

GV-NA-GI-TLV-GE-I

I agree and disagree because Ethiopians will also state that her hair is messed up pretty badly. Everybody has standards and Habeshas will see Zahara as not well-groomed. They don't do beads and stuff...but simple techniques they do to control and condition Ethiopian hair is lacking with Jolie. But see, Habesha have the know-how. I'm basing my opinion on previous photos I've seen of her and I've not just heard this from Black people, from others as well (I just saw the Newsweek photo and this is the absolute best I've ever seen her hair looking).

Jolie adopted an HIV baby. Hair or not, she's a wonderful woman and I admire her. I think she could step it up on the child's hair. If this were Surrey and her hair were continuously dissheveled, people would also talk about it. Nicely groomed hair is one criteria people judge from that all the child's needs are met. Do I think they are overly judging Jolie? Yes, because kinky hair looks bad if allowed to get out of control, dry etc. Any hair would. I think she should actually take advice on it to make it more presentable. It's unusual for Ethiopians to not have long hair and it could have something to do with her illness. That's just my opinion based upon experience.

Last edited:

jamaraa

"Photos of Zahara show the 4-year-old girl sporting hair that is wild and unstyled, uncombed and dry. Basically: a “hot mess.’’

If Zahara is going to look back on her childhood and ask anything, it's going to be where this author got off in saying in a National magazine that her natural God-given has was a "hot mess."

If the author knew anything about natural hair, she would never say that Zahara's hair was "unstyled, uncombed & dry." 4A/B hair doesn't always "shine," but it does have a "sheen."

I can see why Michael Jackson was so protective of his children and didn't allow them to be photographed, to avoid this kind of mess!

Tho I don't buy into Andre's alphabet soup categories, Z's not a 4 by any stretch. She'd be in the 3s or even low 2s. The author of this article seems to have problems w/ Z's texture being unfamiliar to her. 4 hair will either be very neat or messy, but that's based on care....in this case it's just how Z's hair works. Kids in the 4s tend to have less "crawly" hair than Z...it's the crawling that looks messy to her.

MJ's kids get picked on too....LOL. Blanket's length is problematic for some people, but I don't think anyone's written an article about it yet! :grin: This author is unusually petty and banal.

Last edited:

jamaraa

Madonna's kid's (as well as Venus and Serena's) hair is of a different texture than Z's...apples and oranges, IMHO. (shrug)

GV-NA-GI-TLV-GE-I

And now that I've actually skimmed the article, both Samuels and Brown, are simply obsessed with race themselves. I don't think Zahara nor Conner need THEM to ever remind them they are of African heritage. But Black doesn't trump anybody else. You are what you are, even if it's a mixed bag, no matter what some white racist will tell you.

jamaraa

And now that I've actually skimmed the article, both Samuels and Brown, are simply obsessed with race themselves. I don't think Zahara nor Conner need THEM to ever remind them they are of African heritage. But Black doesn't trump anybody else. You are what you are, even if it's a mixed bag, no matter what some white racist will tell you.

True dat. I don't know why some folks think that it's OTHERS who define a person. That someone can make you one thing and just eradicate the rest at will. That can only happen if YOU allow it.