Zahara Jolie's "Uncombed Hair" (Article)

ceebee3

What I cant beleive is that this is the writer...

Allison Samuels

No surprise there, we are often our own worst enemy.

Thank you! Was she orphaned by HIV, perhaps?

No, no, no, her mother is still alive, I'm not sure if she had HIV but she was very poor. She's a very beautiful woman by the way. She just could not afford to care for her. There were pics in the media a while back.

~Hair~Fetish~

I doubt if Zahara will give a rat's behind about what her schoolmates will say. Shoot... if I was her, I would roll my neck, pat my fierce do, and point out that my parents are Brangelina and can buy me the moon if I so desire it!

ceebee3

My son has hair like that and although I do moisturize it, it will still look dry at the end of the day.

The dry appearance does not mean that the hair is not healthy. Often you can't tell from a picture.

Her hair looks fine to me.

JustKiya

This is how I'm usually seeing Zahara's hair. Earlier on, it was nearly red and raspy, dull and dry:

Are you saying that's a good pic, or a bad pic?

If you believe that's a bad pic - two things.

1) My hair also has natural red highlight that show up in the sun - even before I started henna'ing. Red highlights are not a sign of damage or lack of care.

2) I can't say that her hair looks dry here, because again, my hair, if photographed at the wrong angle/without flash - looks dry as a BONE - which is why 90% of my hair pictures are taken using flash. :rolleyes: But kinky hair doesn't always give visual signals as to how 'moist' it is - and dullness is not always a sign of poor haircare.

The only thing I can say for certain about Z's hair here is that it's in a wild, freeform fro. *shrug* Not everyone is down with that look - I don't like it on myself, personally.

My son has hair like that and although I do moisturize it, it will still look dry at the end of the day.

The dry appearance does not mean that the hair is not healthy. Often you can't tell from a picture.

Her hair looks fine to me.

ITA...her hair looks delicious here. And hair that looks "red" does not indicate damage or dryness...my hair looks auburn in the sun and brown indoors...and my hair is quite healthy and moisturized.

Black hair tends to look drier than other types, even when it's not. And our hair requires more moisture. So what? It doesn't indicate damage. It indicates hair that loves moisture.

CurlyMoo

This article was out of line. I doubt it Zahara's hair goes uncombed. It looks like her hair is taken care of but left free of rubberbands and braids. All we know of Zahara is from a few Papparazzi photos, not like we are in her bedroom watching her everyday.

jamaraa

Z could have some natural red lowlights. They might even henna it a bit to give it some stregth and ease of care. After all, Ang put (temporary) color in Mad's hair, so I can see her giving Z henna.

jamaraa

This article was out of line. I doubt it Zahara's hair goes uncombed. It looks like her hair is taken care of but left free of rubberbands and braids. All we know of Zahara is from a few Papparazzi photos, not like we are in her bedroom watching her everyday.

They do small plaits for her w/o holders and barretts usually. My hair and my mother/aunt's hair was handled the same way for the most part. I don;t think it's common that she wears it completely loose like above, but then again I've been taking a break from Ohnotheydidnt, so I may be behind on Z goss! :grin:

ceebee3

A lot of Black American women feel that if hair isn’t tied or weighed down by some bows, barettes, clips, and other junk that the child’s hair is not done.

When I was in school and the black girls from other countries came with just some braids and nothing attached, they were laughed at. My friends from the Islands and South America didn’t wear the same “styles”.

Seems like this author is one of those people.

shocol

I have seen pics of Z's hair looking dry and flyaway but that doesn't really mean much on natural hair. Sometimes natural hair just doesn't photograph well. Using that particular picture to illustrate her point, makes the author look trifling and petty. Anyone with natural hair knows those are some luscious, healthy curls on Z in that photo. She was clearly having a FAB hair day.

The author makes a point of how Madonna styles her adopted daughter's hair, i.e. with bows and beads and braids. I kinda got the impression she expects hair ornaments or hair styles that control and lock down the hair.

GV-NA-GI-TLV-GE-I

Are you saying that's a good pic, or a bad pic?

If you believe that's a bad pic - two things.

1) My hair also has natural red highlight that show up in the sun - even before I started henna'ing. Red highlights are not a sign of damage or lack of care.

When the child was younger, I saw pics of her and her hair was reddish and unhealthy-looking. I'm talking about a "typical" Habesha (they're in my family). Her hair is not exactly Habesha-approved in that pic. And I know the couple isn't Ethiopian, but no matter who's caring for her, Zahara is Ethiopian and that will never change. It's unruly-looking for Ethio standards, IMHO. It's okay to band it back into a loose curly ponytail or two lol...Angelina!

GV-NA-GI-TLV-GE-I

ITA...her hair looks delicious here. And hair that looks "red" does not indicate damage or dryness...my hair looks auburn in the sun and brown indoors...and my hair is quite healthy and moisturized.

Black hair tends to look drier than other types, even when it's not. And our hair requires more moisture. So what? It doesn't indicate damage. It indicates hair that loves moisture.

Unhealthy in the sense the child looked ill. People are equating typical AA standards for non-AA hair. She's Ethiopian. I'm not trying to compare her with AA's, if that makes sense. I hope no one takes offense. But they simply are different peoples.

JustKiya

When the child was younger, I saw pics of her and her hair was reddish and unhealthy-looking. I'm talking about a "typical" Habesha (they're in my family). Her hair is not exactly Habesha-approved in that pic. And I know the couple isn't Ethiopian, but no matter who's caring for her, Zahara is Ethiopian and that will never change. It's unruly-looking for Ethio standards, IMHO. It's okay to band it back into a loose curly ponytail or two lol...Angelina!

Ah. So, it's unruly looking for her culture of birth. *shrug* Okay. And? :lachen:

Not trying to be ugly, but she wasn't adopted by any Habesha, so her hair is subject to the cultural standard of her parents - which means their definition of 'unruly' trumps.

GV-NA-GI-TLV-GE-I

Ah. So, it's unruly looking for her culture of birth. *shrug* Okay. And? :lachen:

Not trying to be ugly, but she wasn't adopted by any Habesha, so her hair is subject to the cultural standard of her parents - which means their definition of 'unruly' trumps.

Yeah, there are hundreds of Habesha children being "adopted" for forever or just a few years to couples in Europe and the States adopting other cultures...but the kids are still very Ethiopian. That will not die in them. I still think her hair could look better. NOt everyone will look at Zahara through AFrican American lenses. I don't.

RE: Unruly or "strange" lol...the little boy has some weird hair for real lolol. I agree with that.

jamaraa

I have seen pics of Z's hair looking dry and flyaway but that doesn't really mean much on natural hair. Sometimes natural hair just doesn't photograph well. Using that particular picture to illustrate her point, makes the author look trifling and petty. Anyone with natural hair knows those are some luscious, healthy curls on Z in that photo. She was clearly having a FAB hair day.

The author makes a point of how Madonna styles her adopted daughter's hair, i.e. with bows and beads and braids. I kinda got the impression she expects hair ornaments or hair styles that control and lock down the hair.

That's just it, she DOES expect this! This is why she decried the lack of neatness in Z's hair. Z and Mercy have VERY different hair textures and come from diff cultures (both women seem interested in the specific cultural aspect for their daughters), for starters. Then, of course, Madonna and Ang are two different parents w/ diff approaches.

jamaraa

Unhealthy in the sense the child looked ill. People are equating typical AA standards for non-AA hair. She's Ethiopian. I'm not trying to compare her with AA's, if that makes sense. I hope no one takes offense. But they simply are different peoples.

I'm feeling what you're saying. In Ethiopia (and elsewhere in the Black world) they have their standards about what's neat as we do. Sometime Yanks of all races thnk that our standards are THE standards.

LOL...that's why this woman is so approving of Madonna's method. It's far more familiar to us than what's going on w/ Z's hair.

Yeah, there are hundreds of Habesha children being "adopted" for forever or just a few years to couples in Europe and the States adopting other cultures...but the kids are still very Ethiopian. That will not die in them. I still think her hair could look better. NOt everyone will look at Zahara through AFrican American lenses. I don't.

RE: Unruly or "strange" lol...the little boy has some weird hair for real lolol. I agree with that.

I concur with JustKiya. Also, I live in Europe and Ethiopians make up a large percentage of the African population in my country. And compared to the Ethiopians I see here (who also sport cute hair and styles) her hair looks just fine.

If someone else wants to control how her hair looks, then they should have adopted her and then subjected her to their own standards. However, she was adopted by an American family, has American citizenship, lives in the US, and is presumably using American products.

And her hair looks just fine...not "just fine", actually, but BEAUTIFUL. And that's by AFRICAN AND AMERICAN standards.

Last edited:

jamaraa

A lot of Black American women feel that if hair isn’t tied or weighed down by some bows, barettes, clips, and other junk that the child’s hair is not done.

When I was in school and the black girls from other countries came with just some braids and nothing attached, they were laughed at. My friends from the Islands and South America didn’t wear the same “styles”.

Seems like this author is one of those people.

Yup. Imma get in trouble here, but I've always hated that excessive use of holders, barretts, and beads on kid's hair, esp when it's super short. (yeah, I said it) That stuff can be a choking and falling hazard for starters. Then add the whole Christmas tree-Farina thing and I'm like :nono:. Much of that stuff will actually pull the kid's hair outbreak it off. LOL...I'm glad I was surrounded by old Black folks who didn't play that.:lachen:

bablou00

Her hair looks fine to me and its sad that people wont leave this child alone. Im sure Angie will get her hair taken care of when and if needed. But she is a little kid. As hard as my mom tried to keep me looking put together at times I didnt because I got into anything and everything. Who r we to tell her how to wear her hair and that it needs to look more put together!!! That is our natural hair in its natural state why do we have to put braids, twist, barretts, and 50million ponytails in our hair for it be done. I cant wait until I have a little girl and she is out rockin her little fro!!!

ceebee3

I get what you are saying, but they aren't different.

Her hair is afro-textured, you can find it on every continent. Plenty of African Americans have the same hair.

discodumpling

When in Rome... Zahara is being raised as an African in America. Her hair looks lovely and free and if Angie knew how to braid i'm sure she would sport the intricate braids that Ethiopians sometimes sport.

I love Z's free form fro. It looks healthy, & lush. She is also FOUR yrs old...just how neat could any of us keep our hair at FOUR years old?

I also agree that Mercy & Z are 2 different kids with 2 different textures. Mercy's hair texture lends itself to braids while Z's does not at this time.

jamaraa

Her hair looks fine to me and its sad that people wont leave this child alone. Im sure Angie will get her hair taken care of when and if needed. But she is a little kid. As hard as my mom tried to keep me looking put together at times I didnt because I got into anything and everything. Who r we to tell her how to wear her hair and that it needs to look more put together!!! That is our natural hair in its natural state why do we have to put braids, twist, barretts, and 50million ponytails in our hair for it be done. I cant wait until I have a little girl and she is out rockin her little fro!!!

Well personally, I don't dig afros...didn't in the 70s when my uncles used to do it to my hair and don't now. Sorry. I guess I was 'fromatized! :grin:

In terms of keeping a child's hair most convenient to kids and their activities, plaits w/o or miminal holders and stuff is probably the best bet. You'll have less tangles w/ plaits and subsequently hurt the kid less when you do whatever to it. This is why most folks opt for plaits of some sort. Frankly I'd be more concerned about OTHER kids messing w/ my kid's hair if left in a 'fro. I'm not just talking about teasing either, but kids trying to do things to their hair.

Last edited:

jamaraa

laurend you always got pics to bust out dontcha?! I bet it's still common for kids to get certain "passage" cuts as they age. The kids in your 2nd pic seem to be following this tradition.

School kids in Ethiopia. I guess Angie is doing a good job.

EXACTLY. Thank you so much for posting this...

Unlike how shallow we can be, I think her Ethiopian sisters/brothers are happy that she has a stable, loving home and is financially stable. I think the last thing they're worrying about is her darn hair.

bablou00

Well personally, I don't dig afros...didn't in the 70s when my uncles used to do it to my hair and don't now. Sorry. I guess I was 'fromatized! :grin:

In terms of keeping a child's hair most convenient to kids and their activities, plaits w/o or miminal holders and stuff is probably the best bet. Frankly I'd be more concerned about OTHER kids messing w/ my kid's hair is left in a 'fro.

Well to each is own!! I just hope this little girl doesnt grow up to have a complex about her hair like many of us did because of what people are writing about and judging about her now. If I was in the limelight and they snapped some pics of me with my natural hair out when I was young and wrote what they are writing Im sure I would be scared to ever rock my natural hair!!!
No hard feelings Im just saying let the girl be with the hair. It isnt that serious.