WOW @ Adrienne!!!

adrienne0914

tonya, i finally added the before pic for the braid out so you could see how i achieved the look. VERY simple... /images/graemlins/smile.gif

nita, this is all late, but my growth goal is just 3" more. i don't think it will be hard to handle, but i probably won't wear it down much either.

legs, i didn't know that microbraids were more damaging to relaxed hair, but i guess it does kind of make sense. i'm glad they work for you though. i feel you on the take down process though. i had small individuals the last time, and that was bad enough. it took me over 12 hours to take them down. /images/graemlins/crazy.gif

adrienne

adrienne0914

ok, sweetcocoa. i really hope it works for you as much as it did for me. let me know!! /images/graemlins/smile.gif

adrienne

Tonya

Ok ok...that looks simple enough. I took your advice and got some corn rows but whenever I go back to my hair I will definatley give this a try. I will let you know how I come out. Thanks! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

ginger

Addriene, you are so cute!!! /images/graemlins/smile.gif
Your hair is georgeous, thanks for sharing your journey with us.
BTW, how will you wear your hair once you have achieved your goal?

adrienne0914

thanks, ginger!! /images/graemlins/grin.gif i think once i get there, i'll wear it down more unless it starts to break. eventually, it would be nice to be able to enjoy all my hard! /images/graemlins/smile.gif

okay, tonya. let me know how it works out!!

adrienne

Zola

I'm a little late chiming in- but sooooo glad I found this thread!

Absolutely Stunning! /images/graemlins/ooo.gif

Thanks for sharing your journey with us and for providing much needed (speaking only for myself) inspiration. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Kitkat

I'm also a little late chiming in, but Adrienne, you know that I think your hair is awesome!!! /images/graemlins/grin.gif Your pics of your hair journey are definitely inspirational to those of us who get discouraged. I've got a LONG way to go to reach your length, girl!

I have a question for you- did you have long hair as a child?

iris

Adrienne I viewed your pics along with your hair journal and I was really inspired. Your hair is fabulous! Thanks for sharing. It was really encouraging.

Iris

MissM

Giiiirrrrl, your hair is so beautiful!!! It's really inspiring to me because my hair is between your 2/9/02 and 10/10/02 length and there are times where I have felt like it's growing at a snail's pace. Looking at your pics you can really see the progress you were making. Did the pics help you with your patience in growing your hair out?

Misha

adrienne0914

sincere thanks to zola, kitkat, iris and misha!! i'm glad you enjoyed my pics, and especially that they inspire. that is such a great compliment! /images/graemlins/smile.gif

kitkat, i did have longer hair as a child, but my mother recently said that i've exceeded that length. if i ever get my scanner up and running again, i'm gonna post some history pics.

misha, the pics were the ONLY thing that helped my patience. since my hair grows so slow, i was SURE that i wasn't making any progress. had i not taken those pics, i'm pretty sure i would have given up. that's why i recommend that everyone take them, whether they put them up online or not. even though that's what i ended up doing with mine, they were more really taken to keep me going.

thanks again, everyone!

adrienne

NYCchild

Adrienne, your hair is drop dead georgeous, so healthy looking. How did u do it? please share - LOL /images/graemlins/laugh.gif. you are such an inspiration for me, my hair is badly damaged and i wouldnt dare post a pic. im planning to get a full head weave to hide it and help it grow out.
keep on keepn on and hope u reach ya goal soon!

Terri

Sindeee

NYCchild,

Read this thread from beginning to end and you'll read how Adrienne achieved great lengths in a few years. She's been very generous & kind in sharing her success and so have many other women on here.

Sindeee

adrienne0914

NYCchild, thanks for the compliment! i do plan to keep doing what i've been doing since it has worked so well. /images/graemlins/smile.gif what do you believe is the cause of your damage? i think you should address and correct that before you get the weave. otherwise after you take it down, your hair might be longer but could need a trim that would undo all your progress.

adrienne

NYCchild

Hi, thanks for posting Adrienne. I think it was the constant coloring - ive been known to combine Herbal essence and garnier and lumina all together so my hair is basically fried! i should also mention i colored (always permanent) /images/graemlins/crazy.gif at least once or twice a month.

it doesnt look bad when i was and deep condition then put oils on each individual roller set.
id hate to cut it all off. i wanna do the weave for winter. i plan to do a really deep moisturizing treatment, put on the clear cellophane and then do the full head weave then take it out say Mothers day.

Thanks and be Blessed /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Leigh

Aw Adrienne. I love the pics. Aaand you are very encouraging.

Allandra thanks for posting the link to the hair journal.

Leigh /images/graemlins/smile.gif

A

AmilLion

Adrienne, is it okay to be thoroughly jealous of your beautiful mane. OMG, your hair is soo beautiful. You ladies are such encouragement. I cannot wait until the day I'm posting my waist length hair /images/graemlins/smile.gif

adrienne0914

ok, NYCchild! sounds like a plan, especially if you're gonna give the permanent coloring a rest for a while. /images/graemlins/smile.gif i hope all goes well!

adrienne

p.s. thanks, leigh! i never posted a link to Picture Trail on the other board since i have an album there. maybe i should. ioanknow...

daviine

Are you guys referring to NYC as the big bad apple----becasue if so Adrienne I wanna know when you came and why I didn't know about it!!!!! /images/graemlins/crazy.gif

MSCHICHI

Adrienne,

Your hair is simply gorgeous and you are an inspiration for many. I have a few questions if you don't mind.

1. Do you find that the Vaseline causes any build-up on your hair and how do you feel about petroleum products in general? I have nixed almost any petroleum products, except for those really good ones that have mineral oil way down on the list. But, my ends can dry out so fast and I am trying to find a safe way to keep them more heavily moisturized.

2. How does your drawstring ponytail stay on if you take the comb out? You referred to the bottom comb, so do you keep the top comb in, or is there no comb left after you remove it? I haven't used a drawstring ponytail, but a while back I used the clip-on style which contains a comb in the top, so I was a bit confused.

3. Do you use any pins to secure the drawstring ponytail?

4. Do you still use a cut-off piece of pantyhose as a ponytail holder, and do you find that it holds as well as your previous holder?

Hope I didn't ask to many questions, but I was unsure of the answers of some of these.

I hope I can find a wet-and-wavy style of drawstring ponytail to match my natural hair.

TIA /images/graemlins/smile.gif

kasey

Adrienne,

I just checked out your album. You have fabulous hair and a beautiful face!!! I really like your long hair, but I also am digging the Spring 2001 pictures. Especially your Chaka Khan look!

I also am curious about the DS ponytail. Yours looks so natural. Where did you get it? I am in week one of a mini challenge, (20 weeks), and I'd be interested in trying the DS ponytail method if I can find one that looks as natural as yours.

--kasey

VALLEYGIRL

Adrienne your hair is AWESOME!!! very thick, shiny and healthy.
It is good to see someone who blow dries on a regular basis have such healthy hair. I do see that you prep your hair quite well prior to blow drying it. My hair would break off with the 3rd or 4th week of blowdrying. (Especially if I was still relaxing!) I blow dried last night and I don't think I blow dried since last Novemeber.
But keep up the good work. You will reach your goal in no time ...your hair seems to grow at a very fast rate.
Valleygirl

adrienne0914

daviine, i went to NY probably 15 years ago. believe me, if i go again, you will be one of the first to know!! cuz i know you, Emil and my other homey would meet me!! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

mschichi, thanks for the compliments! /images/graemlins/smile.gif i definitely don't mind the questions:

1. when i wash my hair, it's kind of hard to get it to lather when i first put the shampoo on. i attribute that to the Vaseline. that is really the only 'problem' i've had with it. i've never had any buildup. mind you, i only put it on my hair after i've made a ponytail. so it goes nowhere near my scalp. i have also nixed all petroleum products on my scalp, but my ends are another matter. i've tried Luster's Pink Oil Moisturizer and other lighter stuff. nothing coats my ends as well as the petroleum based stuff. i also use Royal Crown and Queen Bergamot. any of those heavy ones will work. give it a try...

2. the drawstring ponytails that i buy have two combs. they just put too much pressure and gave me headaches. so i always remove the bottom one. the top one is enough to keep the hair secure. once you put it on and pull the drawstring, it ain't goin nowhere! /images/graemlins/smile.gif my hair was too thick for the clip-on one that i tried. i ended up throwing it in the garbage.

3. nope, no pins are necessary. after i pull the drawstring and wrap around a few times, i tuck it under itself.

4. /images/graemlins/blush.gif not like i should. i actually started using the ponytail holders without the metal on them. they work just as well, and eventually, the stockings stretch so much that i don't get the hold that i like.

thanks, kasey! lol! i just skip right over those curly pics when i go back to my album. my best friend CRIES when she sees them. come to think of it, she cried laughing when i wore my hair like that. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

you both should go to the beauty supply store and try them out for texture AND color. even though i wear the straight one, my hair was really wavy before i got the retouch. the texture difference wasn't as big a deal as colors not matching. ya know? i wear the 1B, which is off black.

valley girl, i really don't blow dry much actually. when i was using alot of heat (like in my before pic), that is why my hair stayed the same length for years. so i try not to blow dry more often than maybe every 5-6 weeks. thanks for the compliment though. girl, i'm just tryna catch up with you now! /images/graemlins/smile.gif

adrienne

MSCHICHI

Thank you so much for your prompt response!!!!!

I think I am going to try my luck with some of the heavier hairdressing products that you mentioned. My ends need something more than what I have been doing.

For at least the next 2 years I am going to try individual braids, and on the 2 off months in between (to let my hair rest), I am going to do the drawstring ponytails.

The word for me right now is "simplicity," as far as styling goes. There are a few more products I want to try before I complete my routine, and I need to work out a vitamin regime.

I think I use the same ponytail holders as you. They are the ones that are thin elastic bands, and some have the metal holding them together, but the ones I use look like the ends were fused together instead. I think I will continue to use them, and also try to find some small satin scrunchies, even though the the big satin ones I used to use wore out fast.

Thank you again for all the info Adrienne!!!!!!! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

fletgee

Hi Adrienne!

When you do decide to come to the city-NYC. Don't forget that I will be in front of Tiffany's with my nose pressed up against the glass. "I want the blue box, please". I'm just 15 minutes away in Jersey.
Wouldn't a "Long Hair Weekend" at a hotel in a major city be great! Could you imagine people's faces as all the members came 1 by 1 into the restaurant for dinner? Wow!! I'm loving it. --Lyn