would wearing large braids/twists look childish?

Napp

Ms. Nobody
other than a bun my favorite style to do are large braids but my mom hates them because she says they look childish and when i mean large i mean 10 braids or less on the head. is there a way to make them look less childish or would they look less childish if my hair was longer?

JustKiya

Can you pull the braids into a bun? :look: I think big loose braids look childish/unfinished too - but if something is done with them, they are a lovely style. :look: But that's just me....

Nonie

Oh hush up, Justkiya! :p

Girl, you wear your big plaits. As soon as I can pull 'em off, I'ma be right there witcha! :lol:

I wore pigtails to work and was called Pipi Longstocking and asked whether I thought I was sixteen. My first response was, "How did you know what look I was going for :grin:?" and the second, "I don't feel a year older, actually, and lots of people have told me that I don't look a day older." In both cases, nothing more was said...and in the first case, the person kinda tilted her head and smiled with a look that some would've sworn was a newfound admiration and perhaps a decision to emulate the look. :lachen: I may not have been entirely truthful in my responses, but I do know from experience that if you walk tall and ack like your ish don't stink, you confuse folks and they begin to view the style as an OK and even very normal do.

So you do your big plaits. Just don't put cute little bows on the ends or bobbles or you'll be on your own right there.

jkamiel

you should wear your large twists :yep:. i'm sure you rock them well! there's also people who say natural hair makes you look ugly and masculine but we can't go and change what we believe because of them...

JustKiya

:lachen: Nonie! What!? She asked! :lol:

Somehow, just two, I think is cute. 3-10, I think are a bit - childish... and I'm not even sure if that's the right word. :look: 10+ are fine. Don't ask me to explain my logic, as I don't have any, but I will go to the corner and think about it. :p :lol:

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
This lady has more than 10 large twists but hers look great to me and don't look childish: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvzSctd-Pnc&feature=related

Here's some more large twists pics:

Last edited:

E. Princess

I've worn large twists, but I pinned them up and they look just fine. You can check out my Jan 08 pics to see the style.

Chicoro

5 Year Shea Anniversary: Started Dec 16th, 2016!
Oh hush up, Justkiya! :p

Girl, you wear your big plaits. As soon as I can pull 'em off, I'ma be right there witcha! :lol:

I wore pigtails to work and was called Pipi Longstocking and asked whether I thought I was sixteen. My first response was, "How did you know what look I was going for :grin:?" and the second, "I don't feel a year older, actually, and lots of people have told me that I don't look a day older." In both cases, nothing more was said...and in the first case, the person kinda tilted her head and smiled with a look that some would've sworn was a newfound admiration and perhaps a decision to emulate the look. :lachen: I may not have been entirely truthful in my responses, but I do know from experience that if you walk tall and ack like your ish don't stink, you confuse folks and they begin to view the style as an OK and even very normal do.

So you do your big plaits. Just don't put cute little bows on the ends or bobbles or you'll be on your own right there.

I agree! Wear your braids girly. Give 'em a try. That's low risk. If it doesn't look right, you can just take them down.

DDTexlaxed

TRANSITION OVER! 11-22-14
I don't care how young they'd make me look. I'd be proud if I could make them look as good and defined as you all do. Folks really be in my hair, then.:lachen: