Worse Salon Experience EVER! Entered the Salon with 16 WKS NG Left With 10 WKS NG!

janeemat

Re: Worse Salon Experience EVER! Entered the Salon with 16 WKS NG Left With 10 WKS N

Did you have a Black stylist? They're pretty good for messing up hair.

:grin:Yes, she was definitely black. After I think back, the funny thing was every sign was there that shouted ghetto. Another stylist that works there shows up late and her client is sitting there waiting for her. And when she does show up, she has her son with her and both have their McDonalds breakfast in their hand. So, of course she has her breakfast and then begin her client's hair. Puts her under the dryer for conditioning and runs out to drop her son off. Now is that jacked up or what???

Luscious Locks

Re: Worse Salon Experience EVER! Entered the Salon with 16 WKS NG Left With 10 WKS N

I'm so sorry you and your hair suffered at the hands of someone so uneducated about haircare. Just splurge on some conditioners and keep that line of demarcation strong and you'll make it to atleast 7 or 8 weeks. While you are probably used to stretching for 12 weeks, you should really consider relaxing a bit earlier (like 8 weeks) because the relaxer did not take. If you wait 12 weeks it will be like stretching 16 weeks.

I just got through the same thing. My stylist used a lye relaxer, and lye just does not work for me. I had to wait 8 weeks instead of 10-12 and then have my mom do my relaxers again. I'm never going to a salon again for something that my mother can do 100 times better.

Good luck on this stretch! :)

Luscious Locks

Did you have a Black stylist? They're pretty good for messing up hair.

Wow, blue flower. LOL. That sounds kind of bad, but I may have to agree with you on this. My hair was never shorter than shoulder length until I started going to AA salons. I never put two and two together until it was too late, my hair was jacked up from using flatirons (I used to get rollersets from doms) and breaking left and right if even a breeze blew it.

Lady Esquire

Sorry, hun. So what are you gonna do?

blacklove0607

:grin:Yes, she was definitely black. After I think back, the funny thing was every sign was there that shouted ghetto. Another stylist that works there shows up late and her client is sitting there waiting for her. And when she does show up, she has her son with her and both have their McDonalds breakfast in their hand. So, of course she has her breakfast and then begin her client's hair. Puts her under the dryer for conditioning and runs out to drop her son off. Now is that jacked up or what???

Not only did she not have any chemical skills, she also had a poor business acumen! I left work early one day to get my hair done - the salon had a no children policy. When I got there the stylist was getting her hair done - just said hello and continued to get her hair set. After 15 minutes it became apparent her hair getting done was more more important than my paying her to my money to get mine. I left telling her I needed to pick up my child - she reminded me of the no child policy....NO BUSINESS SENSE AT ALL!!!! Do they really think we are OBLIGATED to be treated poorly?

janeemat

Sorry, hun. So what are you gonna do?

I'm going to do my weekly wash and sets with a whole lot of love. I will begin my ayurvedic again since it helped me stretch 16wks. I'm hoping I can stretch at least to 12wks.

imaccami

I'm so sorry that you didn't have a great experience with the stylist. Why is it that so many are so incompetent? They're almost like car mechanics, you're incredibly lucky if you can find a good one.

That said, am I the only who has NEVER had a relaxer applied with the hair being divided into 4 sections? I mean never. I haven't been to a salon in so long and I can hardly remember what she used to do, but I know I stole her technique when I started doing my hair and I don't do 4 sections.

Hmmm, I wonder if I'm misremembering or if I'm the only one.

I think it's a great idea for you to do it yourself next time. That's what I do. My sister and I used to help each other, but over time we didn't need it anymore and could go it alone. I'm sure you'll get hang of it REALLY quickly. A bit of advice: Rinse like crazy.

Lady Esquire

I'm going to do my weekly wash and sets with a whole lot of love. I will begin my ayurvedic again since it helped me stretch 16wks. I'm hoping I can stretch at least to 12wks.

Good plan. Give your hair some TLC and it'll bounce back. :yep:

Dayjoy

Old School Member

My friend's mother used to apply her relaxer like this ^^^^^ parting it in these extremely thin sections just the way your stylist did. And her mother was VErrrrrrrrrry slow!!! LOL. I never stayed around long enough to watch her finish, but her hair was always in bad shape.

The reason she parted it like that? I have no idea, but I had never heard of or seen it in my life. And it didn't make sense because the girl's coarsest hair was located where she should have started first, not on her nape.

Her mother would be 63 this year, so could it possibly be an old-school thing (shoulder shrug)?

How old is your stylist?

BTW, I hope your hair is ok, and sorry about your experience. It seems like it's always the little things, that seem like common sense, that turn out to be the things we should have asked about, lol. I hate that!!

I'm so sorry that you didn't have a great experience with the stylist. Why is it that so many are so incompetent? They're almost like car mechanics, you're incredibly lucky if you can find a good one.

That said, am I the only who has NEVER had a relaxer applied with the hair being divided into 4 sections? I mean never. I haven't been to a salon in so long and I can hardly remember what she used to do, but I know I stole her technique when I started doing my hair and I don't do 4 sections.

Hmmm, I wonder if I'm misremembering or if I'm the only one.

I think it's a great idea for you to do it yourself next time. That's what I do. My sister and I used to help each other, but over time we didn't need it anymore and could go it alone. I'm sure you'll get hang of it REALLY quickly. A bit of advice: Rinse like crazy.
Back in the day when I first got my relaxer (in the 80's) my mother's old school beautician parted the hair in four. I never liked it because it seemed to leave permanent parts down the middle of the head. After her, I never had a stylist section it off--they all start at the back and move towards the front. I've never had a problem with it.

India*32

To think about it, most stylist start at the nape of my hair and that's why today, i have thin and almost no nape hair. The last time back in Jan 09, the stylist applied relaxer to the crown section, which is where the most coarse hair grows. I've been in braids for the last three weeks. But, if you look in my fotki album, you can see where the ng begins right after one week. Dang. What's a girl to do. :(

imaccami

Back in the day when I first got my relaxer (in the 80's) my mother's old school beautician parted the hair in four. I never liked it because it seemed to leave permanent parts down the middle of the head. After her, I never had a stylist section it off--they all start at the back and move towards the front. I've never had a problem with it.

Shamboosie mentions that that will happen in his book, but I didn't really believe it when I read it, but I guess it is true. I start at the top of my head towards the back and do the entire back first.

Solitude

oh my goodness, I'm so sorry to hear that you had a bad experience.