12 Wks NG and NO Cond Worked Under Running Water

janeemat

OK stretchers were are you! Stretch buddies DI and Gym it's time to intercede. I had the same problem Sat, but during yesterday's wash was confirmation. I deep cond with Dom Emergencia under the dryer for 30 min and then silicon mix adding paul mitchell detangler to it. Under the dryer another 20 min. Proceeded to rinse under cool water, tried to comb through, nothing. The tangles just laughed at me. My last alternative was just to add my leave ins at that point. So, they did allow me detangle and proceed with my roller set which took forever and a day. I did't lose any excessive hair but DANG! Yesterday would have been relaxer day since I'm 12 wks post, but nooo. I just had to try to stretch this out some more. So ladies why am I having this problem now. Is it trying to lock up on me? I have a truck load of cond and nothing is allowing me to comb through this mess under water. Now I'm sitting here trying to decide if I should just call my stylist and get my relaxer on Sat or should I try it one more time using my beloved Aveda since this is the Sat that I normally use it. I'm trying to reach 14/16 wks but I don't know. But still, my roller set does look nice this morning after all of that.

janeemat

senimoni said:
Did you try pre-pooing with oil...braiding and then washing/detangling in sections?

Not exactly. On Friday nights for my Sat wash I prepoo with cond/oil on my dry hair. Then I put it in 4 braids until I wash it out late Sat. I did this the past wkend and still could not detangle under running water. Washing in sections sounds complicated.

senimoni

1) I'd recommend at least trying to pre-poo with oil only, coconut with a bit of castor oil works nicely for me.

2) Its really not that hard. 2 on the side , 2 in the back. Wash , Remove Braid, Comb , or you could remove the braid before you add shampoo.

3) And this is a biggie...I completely forgot. You may want to try using CON shampoo. Its been mentioned before but it has so much slip that I usually do my first comb through with the shampoo b/c it has more slip to me than any conditioner. Porosity control used to work for me, but not so much any more and Atone Reconstructing Moisturizer (something to that effect) that one is really good for slip too.

LocksOfLuV

Janee, now lemme ask you something.

When you detangled the previous washing sessions did you use a wide toothed comb AND THEN followed up with a smaller comb to make sure you got ALL the tangles and shedded hair out? Because even though I am a 4b, my newgrowth is never really that hard to comb where a comb won't go throo it when it's wet. It sounds to me like you have some matting going on.

Are you using the Jilbere or a shower comb exclusively?

LocksOfLuV

senimoni said:
1) I'd recommend at least trying to pre-poo with oil only, coconut with a bit of castor oil works nicely for me.

2) Its really not that hard. 2 on the side , 2 in the back. Wash , Remove Braid, Comb , or you could remove the braid before you add shampoo.

3) And this is a biggie...I completely forgot. You may want to try using CON shampoo. Its been mentioned before but it has so much slip that I usually do my first comb through with the shampoo b/c it has more slip to me than any conditioner. Porosity control used to work for me, but not so much any more and Atone Reconstructing Moisturizer (something to that effect) that one is really good for slip too.

Seni, do you mix your porosity control with another conditioner?

senimoni

I do now. But before PC alone would do wonders...in the past. I still use it for the sake of keeping my porosity in check...lol. But not for slip.

LocksOfLuV

senimoni said:
I do now. But before PC alone would do wonders...in the past. I still use it for the sake of keeping my porosity in check...lol. But not for slip.

Okay, I am buying some this weekend and I guess I will try mixing it with conditioners first then.

hottopic

I am a 4a/b thick. I am now 14 weeks post texlaxing (I can stretch for 5 months). I use to have a problem with detangling but now I can comb through my hair like butter. I normally use Dominican hair products to do a prepoo. I use 10 en 1 or la bomba along with finesse course conditioner and evoo. I let sit for 5-20 mins, comb (because I have a lot of slip at this point), then wash out. After I add S-curl to roots, Infusium for leave in conditioning and Wild Hair Grow Oil for softness. Works like a charm.

janeemat

LocksOfLuV said:
Janee, now lemme ask you something.

When you detangled the previous washing sessions did you use a wide toothed comb AND THEN followed up with a smaller comb to make sure you got ALL the tangles and shedded hair out? Because even though I am a 4b, my newgrowth is never really that hard to comb where a comb won't go throo it when it's wet. It sounds to me like you have some matting going on.

Are you using the Jilbere or a shower comb exclusively?

Locks, I have a Frederica Fekkai seamless detangling comb and a Mason Pearson tail comb. I always detangle with my FF comb. When I rollerset, I comb through with my FF comb each piece of hair and them comb through with my MP tail comb from ng to end carefully making sure all tangles are out. The matting seem to takes place when the water hits the hair. I even uses Dom rinse and it made the hair nice and soft and it felt as if the tangles melted away on the surface. Not. It did nothing for the ng. Still could not comb through. Am I the only one having this problem.

janeemat

hottopic said:
I am a 4a/b thick. I am now 14 weeks post texlaxing (I can stretch for 5 months). I use to have a problem with detangling but now I can comb through my hair like butter. I normally use Dominican hair products to do a prepoo. I use 10 en 1 or la bomba along with finesse course conditioner and evoo. I let sit for 5-20 mins, comb (because I have a lot of slip at this point), then wash out. After I add S-curl to roots, Infusium for leave in conditioning and Wild Hair Grow Oil for softness. Works like a charm.

Dom prods are what I have been using the last few months and Aveda every other wk. I also prepoo with a Dom Cond. I used all Dom cond the past Sat and yesterday. After I deep cond with Emegencia yesterday for 30 I figured that I'll comb through now to get tangles out and then do a 5 moist cond with silicon mix. I couldn't comb through with cond on it or during the rinse. That's why I mixed paul mitchell detangler in the silicon and went back under the dryer for 20 min. If it was not for the leave ins I use, my hair would still be a tangled mess. Are you adding S curl as a leave in?

CAPlush

Well, for me when I have a lot of new growth 20 min of conditioning is just not enough. I'm not sure why, but I go ahead and sit under the dryer as long as I can stand it (usually 15 min or so), then let the conditioner sit for a couple of hours. I always saturate the hair, really, I use way too much but I find it necessary. I keep checking underneath the cap to see if it is "done." I feel different degrees of softness as time passes, it's kind of weird I know. When detangling under running water, I always wet my entire head, run my fingers through it to get the bigger tangles out, then start in the back nape area, and work way may forward leaning further and further back. Then I turn to the side to get the front area. I hope this helps, I can imagine you're frustrated because your usual charmers aren't working. If I were you I would go ahead and relax and start over. You will have a couple of months to get your stretching plan together.

hottopic

janeemat said:
Are you adding S curl as a leave in?

I only spray it on my roots. I used Emegencia and my hair did not like it. I tried several times with it, but no go.

janeemat

senimoni said:

I have coconut oil and sweet almond. I may try that Sat if I don't relax along with washing separate braids. What exactly does the porosity control do? I just want my cond to detangle and allow the comb to pass through. That's not asking too much. It' so much trouble detangling after getting out the shower.

janeemat

hottopic said:
I only spray it on my roots. I used Emegencia and my hair did not like it. I tried several times with it, but no go.

That was my first time using Emergencia without mixing it with something. However, it's not the culprit because I used Romero on Sat and had the same problem. Maybe my hair is confused from switching conditioners. Romero worked good the week before.

Whisper

This happened to me after four months of stretching. The only thing that helped me was any conditioner or rinse with silk protein as my last rinse. I tried every combination in my stash but my hair would still be tangled and hard to comb through. The two that I used were strawberries and cream conditioner and the Silk Worm rinse.

janeemat

Indigo said:
This happened to me after four months of stretching. The only thing that helped me was any conditioner or rinse with silk protein as my last rinse. I tried every combination in my stash but my hair would still be tangled and hard to comb through. The two that I used were strawberries and cream conditioner and the Silk Worm rinse.

I have Pratial Silk Worm rinse. You mean this might be the life saver. Was the rinse the last thing you out on the hair? I generally put the rinses on before the deep cond.

nycutiepie

I'm sorry this is happening to you. I have course 4B hair in the back and I stretched for 18 weeks last time and I didn't have any matting. My hair is tightly wound and it wasn't easy but I started washing 1x per week when it got rough. I agree with everyone's suggestions but prepooing and especially washing in braids was a lifesaver for me, because the tangles are a killa. I can't believe the silicon mix isn't working :eek: . It worked wonders for me but I mix it in my hand with JBCO. I also used lacio lacio leave-in and that worked and I think that has silk protein in it too so you may be on to something with that theory. What deep conditioner has silk protein? Somebody help this lady. I think I'm going to be in the same boat with my next stretch because I'm using all these growth products and I already have NG at 3+ weeks. The 4B hair really is no joke.

CoCoEspresso

I am trying something new right now. I just completed a 16 week stretch, and now I am 3 weeks post, so I am not sure how effective my suggestion would be for you. Here goes. I made a detangling/final rinse of V05 Strawberries and Cream Con, Generic PM The Detangler and Surge. I think they were equal in proportion. I was trying to use up the surge so, that's why I added it. Also, it says on the bottle that it is a detangler as well. What I do is apply it to clean, wet hair. Put on a shower cap, and let it sit for 5 minutes. Then I start from the back and detangle using my Jilbere Shower Comb from the ends going up to the root. I do this is in sections. Then, under the shower head I rinse and comb completely through. My hair seems to be prettly detangle after doing this. I do follow through with my smaller tooth bone comb which seems to remove any other tangles. HTH

nycutiepie

CoCoEspresso said:
I am trying something new right now. I just completed a 16 week stretch, and now I am 3 weeks post, so I am not sure how effective my suggestion would be for you. Here goes. I made a detangling/final rinse of V05 Strawberries and Cream Con, Generic PM The Detangler and Surge. I think they were equal in proportion. I was trying to use up the surge so, that's why I added it. Also, it says on the bottle that it is a detangler as well. What I do is apply it to clean, wet hair. Put on a shower cap, and let it sit for 5 minutes. Then I start from the back and detangle using my Jilbere Shower Comb from the ends going up to the root. I do this is in sections. Then, under the shower head I rinse and comb completely through. My hair seems to be prettly detangle after doing this. I do follow through with my smaller tooth bone comb which seems to remove any other tangles. HTH

IMHO, I don't think she should try Surge so late in the game because I think it has protein.

Divine Inspiration

Hey girlie :wave:

I second the prepoo suggestion. I also second the rec to add some Porosity Control to your DC mix.

Also, have you tried using a different mix of products? Maybe those just aren't detangling enough.

Are you detangling before you wash?

Have you ever tried an ACV rinse?

janeemat

Divine Inspiration said:
Hey girlie :wave:

I second the prepoo suggestion. I also second the rec to add some Porosity Control to your DC mix.

Also, have you tried using a different mix of products? Maybe those just aren't detangling enough.

Are you detangling before you wash?

Have you ever tried an ACV rinse?

I haven't made an appt yet for Sat. So, I'll prepoo with oils, correct or should I prepoo with a cond adding oils.

Di, I alway mix products, but I was thinking that I need to read and see which ones specifically say it detangles and use those.

I never detangle before I wash. Should I? I thought that was too much stress on dry hair.

Never tried ACV rinse. I'm going to get some PC.

janeemat

nycutiepie said:
I'm sorry this is happening to you. I have course 4B hair in the back and I stretched for 18 weeks last time and I didn't have any matting. My hair is tightly wound and it wasn't easy but I started washing 1x per week when it got rough. I agree with everyone's suggestions but prepooing and especially washing in braids was a lifesaver for me, because the tangles are a killa. I can't believe the silicon mix isn't working :eek: . It worked wonders for me but I mix it in my hand with JBCO. I also used lacio lacio leave-in and that worked and I think that has silk protein in it too so you may be on to something with that theory. What deep conditioner has silk protein? Somebody help this lady. I think I'm going to be in the same boat with my next stretch because I'm using all these growth products and I already have NG at 3+ weeks. The 4B hair really is no joke.

This was the first time silicon mix did not work. The lacio lacio and Lady Flor Olive leave ins are what saved me. I have also used a lot of growth products the last 3 months and my ng is much thicker this time. I've been drinking Nature's Plus Ultra Hair Shake and in it I've been adding about a tsp of MSM. I have definitely noticed a diff after drinking 1 can of this. I'm now on my second can. I may have to stop with all of this growth products mess. I have had people tell me that my hair grew back over night after the big chop to neck length in Dec. I'm past shoulder length now with all this ng.

Divine Inspiration

janeemat said:
I haven't made an appt yet for Sat. So, I'll prepoo with oils, correct or should I prepoo with a cond adding oils.

Di, I alway mix products, but I was thinking that I need to read and see which ones specifically say it detangles and use those.

I never detangle before I wash. Should I? I thought that was too much stress on dry hair.

Never tried ACV rinse. I'm going to get some PC.

Yeah, I like to prepoo with oils + conditioner because it gets all runny and messy when it's just oils.

I would try gently detangling prior to washing. I think you'll notice a difference in the effectiveness of your products if you do. It shouldn't be too much stress on your hair if you do it gently.

Give the prepoo and PC a shot. I think you'll be pleased with the results.

CoCoEspresso

nycutiepie said:
IMHO, I don't think she should try Surge so late in the game because I think it has protein.
I am only three weeks post and I just added the Surge because I am using it up. She can certainly omit it. I am not sure if I see the difference with the Surge. The V05 IMO is the real detangler.

janeemat

Thanks ladies sooooooo much for all of your suggestions. I guess you can tell that I'm at wits end. I will definitely pick up some PC. I've heard a lot about that on this board. I may also try the strawberries con mixing it with pm detangler. One thing that I'm going to do tonight when I get home is press my ng out. That's the one thing that I have not done during this stretch. So this stretch has basically been no direct heat. I purchased a round brush to try a blowout at home but have not done it yet. I've been rollersetting and finger combing. Maybe if I press it out the next wash may not be so bad. If Sat wash goes bad, you can stick a fork in it because I'm done! You ladies are the best.

CoCoEspresso

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention, S-Curl does do a good job with moisturizing ng. Why are you pressing your ng? Are you checking the length? I think you should try rollersetting then using the scarf method to smooth your hair. Just a suggestion. HTH

gymfreak336

Hey girl

I washed last night and I actually had no problems. What helped a TON was oil. I put a mix of alma, olive, and coconut oil in a bottle and satuarated my roots. I let it sit for about 30 minutes, shampooed with garnier sleek and shine shampoo and conditioned with ors replenishing conditioner. I haven't used that conditioner for a while but it seems like my hair must have needed the cones because I got no tangles. I used porosity control as well. Try pre-pooing, the oil will help soften your hair and keep it extra saturated so you will get less tangles. Also, massaging the oil in my hair before I shampooed gave me time to work out some tangles and snags before I got it wet.

Hold on girlie, we can do it. Only 3-4 weeks left to go. ;)

janeemat

CoCoEspresso said:
Oh yeah, I forgot to mention, S-Curl does do a good job with moisturizing ng. Why are you pressing your ng? Are you checking the length? I think you should try rollersetting then using the scarf method to smooth your hair. Just a suggestion. HTH

I was really pressing my ng to just smooth it out. During my last 12 wk stretch I pressed ng from about 8wks on and it made my stretch easier because it hid the ng. I always rollerset using the purple magnectic rollers, so it's mainly a body curl. Also, tomorrow I will be leaving from work attending the NAACP Freedom Fund Banquet and did not want all of this ng waving at folk. I don't understand if I'm going to rollerset, why would I use the scarf method. Wouldn't it just flatten your hair to your head and squash your curls. I usually finger my hair up in a doo after wearing it down one day after washing it. Then at night I put a few rollers in the top, finger it all up the next morning and be done.

janeemat

gymfreak336 said:
Hey girl

I washed last night and I actually had no problems. What helped a TON was oil. I put a mix of alma, olive, and coconut oil in a bottle and satuarated my roots. I let it sit for about 30 minutes, shampooed with garnier sleek and shine shampoo and conditioned with ors replenishing conditioner. I haven't used that conditioner for a while but it seems like my hair must have needed the cones because I got no tangles. I used porosity control as well. Try pre-pooing, the oil will help soften your hair and keep it extra saturated so you will get less tangles. Also, massaging the oil in my hair before I shampooed gave me time to work out some tangles and snags before I got it wet.

Hold on girlie, we can do it. Only 3-4 weeks left to go. ;)

Gym, I wondered where you were. I'm going to prepoo on Sat with oil. I plan to mix coconut oil, sweet almond oil and jojoba oil and do a hot oil treatment. I hope this works because if not Wed I will be relaxing. 3/4 weeks is eternity when you are dealing with ng.