Worse Salon Experience EVER! Entered the Salon with 16 WKS NG Left With 10 WKS NG!

janeemat

I'm done! I'm really convinced that MOST stylist can't handle ng past the 8 wks mark or so. I don't know where to start. She was old an aquaintence that agreed to allow me to bring my own relaxer since I had already purchased it. She even told me to bring my color. Told me she was familiar with the products Her price for a relaxer is only $45 but she charged me $35. And believe me, $35 was all it was worth. I was already to apply my relaxer at home, but my girlfriend stood me up. Have yet to hear from her. But to get back to my salon experience on Sat. She did not part my hair in 4's. Honestly, in all of my years of going to different salons I have never had a relaxer applied the way she did. I handed her my protecto and she applied that prior to beginning. She did not even know what it was. I use Affirm Sensitive by the way. There was no technique in her method of applying it, just opening of the hair and applying to my scalp when I told her it to apply a very small amount mainly to the ng. BIG writing on the instructions said not to apply to scalp. It was running down my face. I guess that was my Q to leave. Now, here is where all of the drama began. I'm sitting there thinking that now she would part down the middle and then across to make 4 section. Oh no! She parts from the back from one side to the other and start applying using the rattail. Now you ladies know 16wks ng is no joke trying to use a rattail. So asked her why was she putting it on that way, and she stated so that it would be evenly applied. Meanwhile, each time she makes a part across, she just pushes the other hair toward the front. I'm sitting here thinking, this is going to be one tangled mess. After she is done, she then applies to all of the edges pulling my hair up like in a pony tail using her fingers to process it. Do you ladies get what I'm saying? This is how she's is working it through. I'm keeping and eye on my watch, so after 15-18 off to the shampoo bowl. I then instruct her to apply the 5 in 1 reconstructor for 5 min, which she did. Then she neutralized me one time and wanted to put my color/rinse on. I was like OH NO! Neutralize me two more times then put my conditioner on. After my conditioner, I mixed my color in a bowl and had her apply with a brush in which she missed several spots. My hair was soooooooooo tangled, she could hardly part it get the color on it. She rinsed it out and I had her use some Lacio Lacio to try to get the tangles out. She was fighting a losing battle with my hair. I just took the comb trying to untangle this mess she had created to no avail. Back to the shampoo we went trying every conditioner on her back bar, nothing gave me that slip I get at home and when I normally get me hair relaxed. At this point I almost just walked out with cap on, but instead i had her comb through it while the water was running. NEVER did I get that slip. I just had her roll it in purple rollers and when I was dried I took the rollers out, gave her a $35 and hit the door. My hair was manipulated so much and as bad as I needed to do it over when I got home I did not. I Just took my blow dryer and round brush to straighten out the 10 wks ng that was left and rerolled for some body. Today it is in a bun resting from all the drama it endured. I started not to post any picks but I did just so I could compare. It's so undeprocessed, I can't even detemine how much length I obtained. What I'm I to do now since I still have all of this ng? I guess just nurse it until I'm able to relax it again. I doubt that I will be able to go 12ks without relaxing this time. I'm doing my own relaxer at home with the help of my husband. I have had enough of this mess!

http://public.fotki.com/janeemat/hair-2008/

Last edited:

soulie

Re: Worse Salon Experience EVER! Entered the Salon with 16 WKS NG Left With 10 WKS N

So sorry to hear you had such a bad experience.

supermodelsonya

Re: Worse Salon Experience EVER! Entered the Salon with 16 WKS NG Left With 10 WKS N

Oh wow..in a few weeks do you plan on doing a corrective?

jerseygurl

Not a new member

Poor thing. You'll be okay.

skatergurljubulee

I'm sorry for your bad experience! Yeah, I do all my relaxers at home. Whenever I got my hair relaxed at a shop (once was enough), she did it the same. Except the woman went root to tip, then wrapped my hair around my head like she was doing a wrap. Horrible. After all that she charged me sixty-five dollars and about two hours later all my NG had reverted back. I had to do my own relaxer a couple of hours later (mind, I was 18 years old, if it happens agai I'll wait longer to relax again).
Never again! At most I'll let them trim/cut my hair (maybe a dye, but you better believe I'll watch them like a hawk!).

Last edited:

kjeneen

Awwwww, janneemat! My heart nearly caved in my chest reading your experience, especially since I experienced something similar. It's good to see that the others are supportive of you and extending empathy for your pain, but not all is lost and I'm sure that with the proper nursing you'll be able to try again in 3-4 weeks, if not sooner.

Mo96

Wow! You poor thing! I'm still dealing with underprocessed hair myself. I think I'm going to try to make an attempt to do my own relaxer at 10 weeks. When you mentioned it running down your face, that made me cringe!! I hope things get better for you soon.

kurlybella

i'm so sorry this happened!

Teja

OMG I am so sorry, I hope your hair will get over that mess!!!!

tbaby_8

Did she even have a licsense? That is crazy!!!

danigurl18

Wow everyone knows that you are suppose to put the hair in 4 sections... I hope your hair is ok and sorry about that experience... she needs her license removed!!

prospurr4

OMG! That was a horrible experience. Relaxer running down your face???:nono: Thank God, you made her neutralize you properly, and she didn't overprocess your hair. You may want to touchup sooner than you planned, but hopefully, your hair will be okay.

See...that's why I do EVERYTHING at home.

janeemat

Thanks ladies. I just needed to vent. She has been licensed for over 15 yrs. That does not mean ditty squat. I'm hoping to try to wait at least 10 wks before I relax again. I was hoping to leave the salon with bouncing swinging hair. What a shame! I may get a Dominican blowout in a couple of weeks. It's the perfect texture for that.

janeemat

OMG! That was a horrible experience. Relaxer running down your face???:nono: Thank God, you made her neutralize you properly, and she didn't overprocess your hair. You may want to touchup sooner than you planned, but hopefully, your hair will be okay.

See...that's why I do EVERYTHING at home.

No, the protecto was running down my face. She did not know how to use it and you only need 2 capfuls. She almost used the entire bottle and was new.

janeemat

Wow everyone knows that you are suppose to put the hair in 4 sections... I hope your hair is ok and sorry about that experience... she needs her license removed!!

I know right! I have never. If someone have heard of a relaxer being applied like this, please chime in.

NYAmicas

Seeker

16 weeks is pretty impressive and Im sure a lot of stylists would have claimed defeat, lol.
I've had stylists complain to me when Im on week 8. I see you have had some grownth, you should nurture your roots and probably not stretch as long this time since you think you're underprocessed. And maybe you should self-relax, you seem to know what you want when it comes to your hair.:)

Toy

All i can say is that is horrible and she needs her so call license Snatched Away.

janeemat

I never thought it would come to this, but before I ever sit in another stylist chair for a relaxer, I will ask what there technique is of applying it. They will probably look at me like I'm crazy, but I will get a demo before processing. You live and you learn.

blacklove0607

I never thought it would come to this, but before I ever sit in another stylist chair for a relaxer, I will ask what there technique is of applying it. They will probably look at me like I'm crazy, but I will get a demo before processing. You live and you learn.

Sorry to hear of your experience. Hopefully your hair will not be damaged by her "lack" of process. You are right to ask about a stylist technique for applying relaxer in the future - it's your money and your hair.

trevprit

I know right! I have never. If someone have heard of a relaxer being applied like this, please chime in.

My friend's mother used to apply her relaxer like this ^^^^^ parting it in these extremely thin sections just the way your stylist did. And her mother was VErrrrrrrrrry slow!!! LOL. I never stayed around long enough to watch her finish, but her hair was always in bad shape.

The reason she parted it like that? I have no idea, but I had never heard of or seen it in my life. And it didn't make sense because the girl's coarsest hair was located where she should have started first, not on her nape.

Her mother would be 63 this year, so could it possibly be an old-school thing (shoulder shrug)?

How old is your stylist?

BTW, I hope your hair is ok, and sorry about your experience. It seems like it's always the little things, that seem like common sense, that turn out to be the things we should have asked about, lol. I hate that!!

Last edited:

baddison

natural for good

So sorry this happened to you. This is exactly why I do ALL my services my dayum self!!:wallbash::wallbash:

Hopefully you and your hair will recover in no time.:drunk:

cocoagirl

Sorry this happened to you, the same thing happened to me 2 weeks ago, I was at 19.5 weeks. But it wasn't completely her fault, I felt a little tingling in one section, even though she had thoroughly based me) and told her to wash it out, even though she said my hair wasn't done processing. She also mentioned that she didn't like the way the Design Essentials had done my hair, that I was burning too soon. She ended up blowing the roots after she took the rollers out (I was at a dom salon) and so I couldn't tell that it was as underprocessed as it was. But when I washed yesterday, I realized that it is competely underprocessed and the same new growth I had before I went to get it relaxed is still sitting on top of my head waving to me like "hey mama" lol. I can't get mad at it cuz there is nothing I can do. I will go back to her in 6 weeks (8 altogether) and use the Alter Ego Linange relaxer next time which she said I will like at that she uses it on herself now. I've got my jacked up pics in my fotki as well. Hang in there sis, just baby your hair/new growth and get another relaxer in like 8 weeks or so.

janeemat

My friend's mother used to apply her relaxer like this ^^^^^ parting it in these extremely thin sections just the way your stylist did. And her mother was VErrrrrrrrrry slow!!! LOL. I never stayed around long enough to watch her finish, but her hair was always in bad shape.

The reason she parted it like that? I have no idea, but I had never heard of or seen it in my life. And it didn't make sense because the girl's coarsest hair was located where she should have started first, not on her nape.

Her mother would be 63 this year, so could it possibly be an old-school thing (shoulder shrug)?

How old is your stylist?

BTW, I hope your hair is ok, and sorry about your experience. It seems like it's always the little things, that seem like common sense, that turn out to be the things we should have asked about, lol. I hate that!!

She is in here early 50's. I know several stylist her age and old and does not apply a relaxer in this manner.

janeemat

Thanks ladies for all of your support!

SmartyPants

I'm done! I'm really convinced that MOST stylist can't handle ng past the 8 wks mark or so. I don't know where to start. She was old an aquaintence that agreed to allow me to bring my own relaxer since I had already purchased it. She even told me to bring my color. Told me she was familiar with the products Her price for a relaxer is only $45 but she charged me $35. And believe me, $35 was all it was worth. I was already to apply my relaxer at home, but my girlfriend stood me up. Have yet to hear from her. But to get back to my salon experience on Sat. She did not part my hair in 4's. Honestly, in all of my years of going to different salons I have never had a relaxer applied the way she did. I handed her my protecto and she applied that prior to beginning. She did not even know what it was.
http://public.fotki.com/janeemat/hair-2008/

This is the point at which I would have left!

blue_flower

Did you have a Black stylist? They're pretty good for messing up hair.

shae101s

sorry to hear that :(

Queen V

That's outrageous. I'm so sorry this happened to you.

pinkchocolatedaisy

What the............:wallbash:
So sorry that happened to you! What is up with folks these days?

cicilypayne

I am so sorry this happened to you the good news is I think your hair will recover for this in no time. I think you are right to wait at least 8 weeks before you relax again, but after you do a few classic LHCF tips..ACV, deep condition, Conditioner washes, Aphogee, Humecto. etc.. you will be okay. I can still see your progress but less volume. I think the volume is still there but in shock from her bad relaxer technique I think I am going to drive to GA and let my sister do my next relaxer because she will do what I ask her and not be resentful and spiteful like some stylist are when you suggest how you want your hair done. Big Fat Hug from me but no worries you are gonna recover. okay.