Will Hena Help with Straw Dry Hair?

seraphim712

I don't know how many times I've washed my hair and dried it, it seems like it really doesn't want to stop acting stubborn and perfers to remaining straw like and very dry. My hair is natural and I haven't had a relaxer for three years now.

Is it possible that if I henna my hair will be less dry , or will it just make it worse?

preciousjewel76

Henna could possibly make it worse, depending on what you add to it. DON'T use lemon juice in your henna mix. DO add oils and conditioner to it.

What else do you do to your hair that could contribute to the dryness? Have you clarified it lately? Do you use products with silicones frequently?

God's Anointed

Yea, i agree. Henna can make it worse. It is like a protein treatment in that it makes your hair dry and brittle unless you follow with a good moisturizing conditioner. I did the mistake once of not doing that and trust me, i've learned my lesson.;)

sareca

ITA. Don't henna until you get the dryness under control.

My favorite dry hair treatment is:
oil (any kind olive, coconut, amla) on dry hair, microwave a soaking wet hand towel for 2 minutes and CAREFULLY wrap around head, wrap the whole thing in a dry bath sized towel, leave it for 20-30 minutes, rinse, and condition w/ moisture.

JustKiya

Yeah, my first reaction was nnnnoooo!! Anything but HENNA on dry hair!

But then, I thought about it, and you know, it depends on WHY your hair is so dry. If your hair is super dry because it is exceptionally porous, and therefore can't hold onto the moisture - henna MIGHT help, because it binds to the keratin in your hair, and it might help cut down on the porousity.

With that said - IF you so choose to go the henna route - 5 vital tips.

1) Clarify FIRST.
2) Deep condition BEFORE you use the henna.
3) Mix your henna 1/2 and 1/2 with a GOOD moisturizing conditioner and use NO acids in your mix - that will help cut down on it's natural drying properties, and might help cut down on your dryness.
4) Deep condition AGAIN afterwards.
5) Stay away from ANYTHING with protien in it for at LEAST two weeks - maybe more.

Good luck!

starfish79

I'm natural too and my hair reacts badly to products with silicones, petroleum based products, heavy waxes, and mineral oil. All of these items basically seal the hair and relentlessly bar any moisture from getting into the cuticle. You need to check your products to see if you are either having an overload of the aforementioned ingredients or too much protein. First clarify and follow with a deep conditioner that has no protein and see how that helps. ITA agree with skipping the lemon juice if you decide to henna.

seraphim712

Thanks ladies for your tips. Right now, I'm using the Damage Remedy samples I got from Aveda along with the Aveda Brillant line which includes the Universal Styling Creme, the Emollient Finishing Gloss, and the Damage Control. For my oils, I'm currently using Dabur Amla oil and Vatika Oil. I do have a clarifying shampoo from Aveda, but that only seems to make my hair worse.

I also have Scalp Benefits from Aveda, but that does not seem to do any justice at all. I've heard many of the ladies mention Keracare and Nexxus Humectruss conditioners and the Silicon Mix Conditioner and Leave In conditioners, do you think these will be good to moisturise my hair with?

guesswho

seraphim712 said:
Thanks ladies for your tips. Right now, I'm using the Damage Remedy samples I got from Aveda along with the Aveda Brillant line which includes the Universal Styling Creme, the Emollient Finishing Gloss, and the Damage Control. For my oils, I'm currently using Dabur Amla oil and Vatika Oil. I do have a clarifying shampoo from Aveda, but that only seems to make my hair worse.

I also have Scalp Benefits from Aveda, but that does not seem to do any justice at all. I've heard many of the ladies mention Keracare and Nexxus Humectruss conditioners and the Silicon Mix Conditioner and Leave In conditioners, do you think these will be good to moisturise my hair with?

Yes it would make a difference I had a dry hair problem in the past and what really helped me is nexxus humectress as a deep conditioner and a great leave-in like salerm21 or lacio lacio then you could seal with your oils so the moisture does its thing, but the real thing is baggying but in your case you should whole head baggy overnight with moisturizers and your favorite oils, give it a try if nothing doesn't help this normally works, another thing if you can't use clarifying shampoos like me because my hair feel horrible with clarifying shampoos, mix 2 tbsps of baking soda with 2 cups of warm water dissolve it good and after you shampoo pour this mixture over your hair you would feel the difference, then proceed to deep conditioner, your hair will thankyou, also when you wash try a moisturizing shampoo like neutrogena triple moisture shampoo or nexxus, happy hair growing chica hope this helped :)

jengrady

seraphim712 said:
Bumping for replies

stop shampooing your hair. I once suffered from hair that was dry as a brick. I know what you are going through. From my experiences its the shampoo that's the main culprit of that straw dry hair, especially when you are natural. (I've been natural for several years) Condish-wash your hair regularly and cut the shampooing to once a month.

Also, water. Can't say this enough and its really simple but I rinse my hair with warm water when I shower and when I get out I apply Castor Oil (not even the black kind, plain ole Hollywood Castor Oil) through my damp hair and let it air dry. The result...moisture-filled hair all day, every day. Any time I've left this routine I've has hard, dry hair.

As far as henna goes, yes it will help because its really a protien treatement and I find that it helps my hair take the oil (castor oil, or vatika oil) better.