Straw set on 4B hair...possible?

Peachi

Can I do a straw set on 4B hair? what kind of straw do I use?

I have a lot of hair. I just got a trim so my hair is a bit shorter now. I really want to try this straw set. Currently I do the flat twist where I flat twist my hair wet and the unravel it when dry for a cute fro'ish look.

I am dying to try this strawset. Also how do I keep the ends from unraveling and not looking frizzy?

bettydavis

When I've seen the strawset done they use gel to hold it and make sure it's completely dry before taking the straws out. The gel should hold the ends in place. I'v enever had it done, but I watched my sister do it before and hers lasted at least a week. The stylist used a lot of that brown gel. The size of straw depends on what size curl you want...bigger straws =bigger curls.

patience

Straw sets can be done with regular drinking straws, bobby pins and setting lotion.

Set the hair as you would if you were permed, except use the straws. Be sure not to put too much hair on the straw if you don't want to be under the hair dryer for a long time. Use bobby pins to hold it in place. You spray setting lotion the hair before rolling it just like you would for permed hair. When the entire head is rolled, sit under the dryer and let it dry. For a REALLY full effect, rub or mist some oil on your hair and then separate the coils...

Have fun! If you want, I can give a website of a natural friend of mine who just washed out her 2 wk. old strawset. Just send me a PM.

Wolftrap

I have seen this done in the Dominican salon I go too. I would never try it myself. Seems too tedious to roll. But they use setting lotion and drinking straws. I always wanted to try this but my hair is shoulder length and I did not know if I would look like Annie afterwards since it draws your hair up tight. The women I see getting it done have bra strap length hair.

Dubois007

I had it done once and I had no problem with my hair, I moiturized the ends daily and wore my hair in different styles and I kept the curls for about two weeks because I had to wash my hair.

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
Im sure a strawset is possible on any hair type!

Karonica

I've seen a flexi set done on natural 4a hair, so I'm sure it can be done on 4b too. Instead of straws, you may like to try them on very small flexis. You can get a tighter grip with them too. The only drawback is they cost more than straws.