Will a Weave Ruin Perfect Healthy Hair?

wyldcurlz

i want to get a full head weave (hairline to hairline, root to tip) but i'm concerned that it will ruin my hair. does anyone have info on this? my hair is BSL and healthy so maintaining the length and health is the most important thing to me. i really want to know if a weave (of any kind) will ruin or damage my hair.

CarefreeinChicago

the most important thing is that the weave is not to tight and that you don't leave it in for a long time and that you keep your scalp clean my hair grows like a weed when left alone

bluediamond0829

yea just make sure that the person that does it doesnt braid your hair too tight...and make sure you keep ur hair and scalp clean and also moisturized while wearing the weave...dont keep it in for too long of a time(6 weeks) some people maybe able to go longer than that but whenever ive worn a weave i go 6 weeks....i also try to get a full sewin so that none of my hair is left out...i hate to leave hair out because its tedious to be trying to make the hair blend and stay moisturized and lay over the wefts...and then i have thin/fine hair so thats another stressful part of it...now if you have thick hair then i dont think leaving some hair out at the top would be a big issue...

have you checked out reneice.com she gives some great tips also about wearing weaves...even down to the part of what type of weaves to wear....

glamazon386

Not if you take care of your hair under the weave. And as long as they don't braid your hair too tight. You'll know if they're pulling it too tight. I've never had any problems with damage from weaves. It was braids that got me.

wyldcurlz

okay, so i understand not to have it braided too tightly, i'll have to watch that because my hair tends to be "loose" in braids for some reason.

but how do i wash and moisturize my hair that's braided up underneath the weave? is it possible to deep condition it? or do you use oil and an eye dropper? :lol: i really don't know. how should i keep my hair moisturized, healthy and strong under there?

wyldcurlz

bumping....cuz i really need to know how i should care for my hair under the weave/in the braids. how do i wash and condition it so that it does what it needs to do?

akeli

I would recommend that if you get a weave, I would go to the shop and have them wash/style it for the first couple of weeks, so you will know how to take care of it.

I made the mistake of getting a hair weave <I had bsl hair> and I didn't know how to take care of it. Long story short, I suffered major hair breakage and my hair was barely touching my shoulders. It has taken me over a year to grow it back out, and it is still not the same.

If I had it to do over again, I would spent the extra $$.

rdm

Take care of the hair under the weave. Also, dont keep your hair in the weave too long. I had a weave for 6 weeks and my hair loved it!!!

prettypuff1

I just asked this question too. i usually get a full sew in so that i can put heat on the hair and have it look nice while my hair is resting. I would just make sure that the braids are a good size, and to keep the scalp clean. Are you moving to sew ins while you rest your hair or just
trying something new?

glamazon386

wyldcurlz said:
okay, so i understand not to have it braided too tightly, i'll have to watch that because my hair tends to be "loose" in braids for some reason.

but how do i wash and moisturize my hair that's braided up underneath the weave? is it possible to deep condition it? or do you use oil and an eye dropper? :lol: i really don't know. how should i keep my hair moisturized, healthy and strong under there?

Just wash like you would normally wash your hair. Don't scrub the braids too rough bc you don't want them to start to unravel. I dced once a week just like I did with my own hair. It helped a great deal. When I went to get my hair braided, the braider was like oooh you have very soft hair!! It had to be the DCing and Cowashing (I had a curly weave that needed to be cowashed every few days to eliminate frizz). I used a braid spray to keep the cornrows moisturized.

thefineprint

I have had only one weave because it was such a horrible experience. however, i blame this on the stylist and her 'technique' not the actual style itself. she braided my hair WAY too tight and ripped through it (i was transitioning at the time). it hurt and even though it looked good, it felt awful and she left a track showing on the top.

so definitely trust your stylist- go to someone you have heard good reviews about. i had never even met this woman and i trusted her with my hair. big mistake.