Weaves/Extensions & Healthy Hair...

wyldcurlz

i want to get a weave...how do i keep my hair underneath the weave healthy? they are planning on putting a net around the braids, so i won't be able to actually "touch" them.

the main purpose is to give my hair time off but i want to take the weave out in a few months and have (very) healthy hair under it! How??? Help, please!!!!

shaydufblu

Highlander
I'm bumping b/c I want to know too. Would be excellent if someone could compile a sticky for healthy weave care. :yep:

glamazon386

There have been quite a few threads about this on the board. RabiaElaine has some posts that break it down step by step. Honestly, I think her routine is bit too much. I don't do all that. But it's a good starting point.

You just need to make sure you keep your hair moisturized. I would suggest washing and deep conditioning once a week and getting a braid spray (one that isn't oily. I usually use African Royale BRX Braid Spray) to spray on the braids to keep them moisturized. Treat the weave hair just like you would treat your own. I use the same shampoo and conditioner on my weave that I do my own hair. Wash it in the shower and detangle with a wide toothed comb under the stream of water from the bottom up to the root. I usually let mines air dry. Make sure you cover it up at night. And make sure the person who does the weave does not braid your hair too tight or sew the weave in too tight. That's about it.

wyldcurlz

a weave care sticky would be a great idea. i ran a search for rabiaelaine's info, but so many posts came back at me...it'll take a while before i'm able to find her "weave care" regimen.

my stylist...who does a lot of celebrity weaves, says its best to just wash weekly and leave my hair that's braided up in the weave alone until i take the weave out. she recommends leaving weaves in no longer than 3 months - 12 weeks. i'm wondering how my natural hair will get any moisture that way?!?

celebs all rock weaves all day - they don't have to care about how their natural hair looks. my whole reason for getting a weave is to hide my own natural hair and let it grow for a while.

how do i do that?!?!? anyone....how do i take the best care of my braided up hair under all the weave hair?

glamazon386

a weave care sticky would be a great idea. i ran a search for rabiaelaine's info, but so many posts came back at me...it'll take a while before i'm able to find her "weave care" regimen.

my stylist...who does a lot of celebrity weaves, says its best to just wash weekly and leave my hair that's braided up in the weave alone until i take the weave out. she recommends leaving weaves in no longer than 3 months - 12 weeks. i'm wondering how my natural hair will get any moisture that way?!?

celebs all rock weaves all day - they don't have to care about how their natural hair looks. my whole reason for getting a weave is to hide my own natural hair and let it grow for a while.

how do i do that?!?!? anyone....how do i take the best care of my braided up hair under all the weave hair?

Your stylist is right. My post was about your hair underneath too. Not just the actual weave hair. Taking those steps will keep your own hair on track in addition to keeping the weave style looking nice. You take the best care of your braided up hair under the weave by washing it, deep conditioning and keeping it moisturized. That's all you need to do. There's no special method or anything when it comes to caring for your hair underneath a weave. Do all the same things that you do when you take care of your hair now. If you co-wash, then do that. If you dc your hair now, then do that. Keep your hair in the braids underneath moisturized. You can use a braid spray to do that.

A lot of times the reason why people have problems with weave damaging their hair is because they don't take care of their natural hair underneath. Either that or it's not put in and taken out properly. A lot of people think that because their hair is out of sight they don't need to worry about it, but that's not true. You still need to keep up with your regular schedule for hair maintenance.

Last edited:

wyldcurlz

Your stylist is right. My post was about your hair underneath too. Not just the actual weave hair. Taking those steps will keep your own hair on track in addition to keeping the weave style looking nice. You take the best care of your braided up hair under the weave by washing it, deep conditioning and keeping it moisturized. That's all you need to do. There's no special method or anything when it comes to caring for your hair underneath a weave. Do all the same things that you do when you take care of your hair now. If you co-wash, then do that. If you dc your hair now, then do that. Keep your hair in the braids underneath moisturized. You can use a braid spray to do that.

A lot of times the reason why people have problems with weave damaging their hair is because they don't take care of their natural hair underneath. Either that or it's not put in and taken out properly. A lot of people think that because their hair is out of sight they don't need to worry about it, but that's not true. You still need to keep up with your regular schedule for hair maintenance.

okay...please hang in with me while i try to understand this. from what i think you are saying is if i take care of my weave - washing it, deep conditioning it. i'll automatically take care of my braided up hair underneath?? taking care of the weave will residually take care of my natural hair that's braided underneath the weave??

i don't normally use braid spray...but i do have a spray-on, light weight leave-in conditioner that i could spritz on my natural hair (that's braided underneath.) its confusing since the stylist said to just leave it alone.

basically, i really want to keep the my natural hair healthy and strong. taking care of my extensions will automatically take care of my real hair? ultimately, i do not want to come out with my "real" hair being unhealthy at the end of 3 months. if i end up with hair worse off than it was before...after spending all the money i spent, i'll be mad!!

Last edited:

glamazon386

okay...please hang in with me while i try to understand this. from what i think you are saying is if i take care of my weave - washing it, deep conditioning it. i'll automatically take care of my braided up hair underneath?? taking care of the weave will residually take care of my natural hair that's braided underneath the weave??

i don't normally use braid spray...but i do have a spray-on, light weight leave-in conditioner that i could spritz on my natural hair (that's braided underneath.) its confusing since the stylist said to just leave it alone.

basically, i really want to keep the my natural hair healthy and strong. taking care of my extensions will automatically take care of my real hair? ultimately, i do not want to come out with my "real" hair being unhealthy at the end of 3 months. if i end up with hair worse off than it was before...after spending all the money i spent, i'll be mad!!

You can use the spray on leave in you have. It's the same thing. Some people use S Curl and things like that. You would be spraying your own hair that's in the cornrows with the braid spray. Not the weave hair. You have to take care it of all together. You can't just wash the weave hair and not your own hair. The products will trickle down into your hair underneath. Some people use a bottle with a nozzle to get the shampoo and conditioner down in there. It's no different than somebody washing their hair while it's in braids. Essentially you're washing it through the braids or weave. If you're this worried about your hair being taken care of underneath than maybe you shouldn't get the weave. And should try something else. Or get it and leave it in for 6-8 weeks to see how you like it and then take it out. 12 weeks is a bit long IMO for a first timer. I could never go that long. And you may find that you just don't like it. Some people don't like weaves because they can't get down in there and wash their hair like they're used to when it's out. It never bothered me, but every thing is not for every body either. HTH...

Last edited: