Why on earth does my conditioner have hydrogen peroxide in it?

Channy31

Ages ago I bought Bed Head urabn antidotes number 2, today I've found that it has hydrogen peroxide in it!?

Why?
If I remember correctly its to open the cuticles of the hair? which will then help the product penetrate deeper? But how will it then close my cuticles?!

Urgh.. I have a salon size bottle that I havent even used a 1/4 of :(
Does this mean I should throw it away?

It's the 20th ingredient of 28.
The product even says that it is perfet for dry, damaged tresses that need a moisture hit. urgh.

Someone please enlighten me!

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
Hydrogen Peroxide

What is it?

Hydrogen Peroxide is a clear, colorless liquid. In cosmetics and personal care products, Hydrogen Peroxide can be found in a wide variety of hair care products such as hair dyes, hair bleaches, conditioners, shampoos and rinses, hair bleaches and shampoos. It is also used in tooth whitening products. Hydrogen Peroxide is also sold as an antiseptic at concentrations of 2.5-3%.

Safety Information
The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) includes Hydrogen Peroxide in its list of substances affirmed Generally Recognized As Safe (GRAS) for use in food. Hydrogen peroxide is used as an antimicrobial agent, an oxidizing and reducing agent, and bleaching agent in foods such as milk and cheese products, wine, vinegar, starch and instant tea. The FDA also allows Hydrogen Peroxide to be used in Over-the-Counter (OTC) first aid antiseptics.

Why is it used in cosmetics and personal care products?
Hydrogen Peroxide is added to cosmetics and personal care products as an antimicrobial agent and as an oxidizing agent. The function of antimicrobial agents is to kill or inhibit the growth or reproduction of microorganisms. In cosmetics and personal care products, oxidizing agents are used to form dyestuffs during oxidative hair dyeing, and to oxygenate stains on the teeth to further whiten the teeth.

Source: http://www.cosmeticsinfo.org/ingredient_details.php?ingredient_id=430

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
I don't think the amount of hydrogen peroxide in hair products is bad for your hair given that you said it's the 20th out of 28 ingredients which is pretty low percentage.