Peroxide and Baking Soda as a highlighter? Tell me more!

KaramelDiva1978

Hi Ladies,
Some of you really helped me out last week telling me some great tips about highlighting my hair. After I spoke to my stylist today he told me that even using a lifter which is not bleach will do some damage. He says sure you'll be great for about 90 days and then you'll start to wonder why all your hair is falling out. :blush: But if knowing that you want to take that chance, you can do it. I've just seen it happen too many times.

I said thanks Eric, but no thanks, I don't need any setbacks right now, I've focused too hard on growth. :nono::nono: So with that said I'm looking at Peroxide and Baking soda as my last "healthy" coloring option. I know a girl on BHM used it and had good turnouts, :yep: but I want to know "Why does it work? What damage does it do in the long run?" All of that helps me to make a final decision.

I'm dying for highlights this Spring :wallbash:, but not at the cost of hair health!!!

:laugh::laugh:

You asked me this just in time. I've been putting simple hydrogen peroxide on my face for the whiteheads that I have popped:)barf: those things will not go away) for about a week and half. I looked at my forehead yesterday, and I saw the fine hairs on my forehead had turned sandybrown. I don't know if it is good for the hair, but I do know it works now!

Last edited:
I just read about honey as an option for subtle highlights. Either this or my henna may have to do just to be safe.

Bumpity bump, help me out ladies!

For a lighter, natural look for your blonde or light brown hair, spray a 50/50 mix of hydrogen peroxide and water on your wet hair after a shower and comb it through. It will lighten and highlight your hair gradually.

This is from googling the topic and this came from associate content.. Not sure if it will work or not but I have always just used Dark and Lovely Permanent Color and with highlights I never saw that much damage to my hair and my highlighted hair would be just as healthy as the rest of my hair but that is just me. I did salon highlights once and as long as I was DC my hair was fine it was just growing them out was the pain cause you grow and cut to remove the color. Well that is what I did.

Thanks Kat! Thats a easy mixture I could try, water and peroxide. I've been DC more often, so I hope not to have any damaging results, but you never know until its over and done. That's the scary part for me.

Thanks Kat! Thats a easy mixture I could try, water and peroxide. I've been DC more often, so I hope not to have any damaging results, but you never know until its over and done. That's the scary part for me.

There are a lot of ladies on the board that have color in there hair and it is very healthy and your hair appears to be very healthy so I think that you will be fine. You could even try doing the highlights just a little in the front or back and see how they do and then redo them all over your head, but I am sure you will be fine. I think highlighting is safe if you start with healthy hair then you should have not problem.

I found out about it from someone on BHM too. I've been doing it off and on almost a year now. My highlights get lighter each time I do it, love the color (I want to go even lighter). I haven't had any breakage while doing this.

I found out about it from someone on BHM too. I've been doing it off and on almost a year now. My highlights get lighter each time I do it, love the color (I want to go even lighter). I haven't had any breakage while doing this.

Do you mind sharing your mixture? Do you use water or baking soda? Do you use a highlighting cap?

Do you mind sharing your mixture? Do you use water or baking soda? Do you use a highlighting cap?

I don’t measure it exactly, I just mix the baking soda and peroxide together in a bowl. I don’t add that much baking soda, so the mixture will still be like a liquid. No, I don’t use a cap; I just put the mixture on the sections of my hair where I want it. I also put it on with my hands (lol), I could use a brush but I don’t. NOTE: the longer you let it stay on your hair, the lighter it will be. So be careful if you don’t want your hair that much lighter. I put it on while my hair is dry, so I can see it while my hair get lighter.

Thanks for the tip Spicyhoney!! That's what I was looking for. Did you start doing anything different like more protein or dc just in case? Do you notice your hair is more dry?

Again, thank you.

Back