Why is my scalp hurting?

cheri_flava74

Hello everyone. I am 8 or 9 weeks post and my scalp is hurting, sore, and itching so bad and I have never had dry scalp/dandruff problem. I don't know why? I wash wrap and flat iron once or twice a week. I don't want to relax because scalp feel irritated. I know it isn't anything that I have done because I take care of my hair as far as washing, deep conditioning, hot oil treatments, and tie it up at night. Do you ladies have any idea what it could be?

punchinella

Sometimes when my new growth is coming out my hair will feel that way. The only thing I can do is massage my scalp with a little jojoba oil. It does not go away all together but it feels better for a few days then I do it again. After it grows out a little more then the pain just stops. This usually happens to me when I'm about 12 wks post. Sometimes it hurts so bad I just want to pluck the hair out of my scalp (but I would not advise that) :).

Last edited:

KiniKakes

cheri_flava74 said:
Hello everyone. I am 8 or 9 weeks post and my scalp is hurting, sore, and itching so bad and I have never had dry scalp/dandruff problem. I don't know why? I wash wrap and flat iron once or twice a week. I don't want to relax because scalp feel irritated. I know it isn't anything that I have done because I take care of my hair as far as washing, deep conditioning, hot oil treatments, and tie it up at night. Do you ladies have any idea what it could be?

It could be growing........... I know some ladies have experienced itching/slight tenderness as the new growth pushes forward. :)

Arcadian

cheri_flava74 said:

sounds like new growth.

My head is:burn: tender, and sore. Massages help but not by much. I'm itchy like nobody's business. I WAS gonna relax this Sunday but its looking like a serious no go.

Here's what I've learned to do

Get a spray bottle.

Fill it with spring water or Filtered water

Keep this in the fridge (see where I'm going with this?)

If you're new growth is driving you that crazy, go ahead and give your head a good wash 3 days prior. Don't scratch your head because its already irritated, but do massage it. Don't use a heavy conditioner though, a light one will work just fine, and really try not to load up on any heavy moisterizers/oils.

When you get a scalp itch, mist a little of that cold water on that spot. (sure does feel good!)

I've got about 2 inches of new growth all over, and believe me, I feel your pain.

-A

sassyhair

that always happens when I am stretching and close to my goal...it will stop when you relax....to relieve mine nufin helps but washing it and then oiling my scalp, also scalp massages.

EMJazzy

Happily retired
I've been massaging my scalp everyday for the exact same reasons....I'll take the tenderness if it means new growth :yep:

sky_blu

My scalp is like that when its gets too dry. What has been a lifesaver is Keracare Itchy and Dry scalp poo and con. I dont buy the growing pains, get some oil on that scalp and try a good poo and con. Also keep your hair moisturized.

cheri_flava74

Thanks for the replies. I am not going to relax until the soreness goes away. I am going to wash, condition, and rollerset or wrap and use keracare dry and itchy scalp and see what happens.

Supergirl

With Love & Silk
Have you recently used any new products? This happened to me when I tried Aphogee 2 minute Keratin reconstructor. My scalp itched like mad.