Why don't stylist understand split ends vs uneven/raggedy ends?

Wanderland

I know that after looking at this site I understand the difference between spilit ends (the end is literally split) and even/unslightly ends.
I just came from getting my hair done after a 16 week stretch, and my stylist really wanted me to get a serious trim because I haven't had one since the last relaxer because I had "split ends" and they would "travel up my hair shaft". What she showed me was uneveness, not one split (dont get me wrong, i'm sure I have splits but you need to show me an individual hair for that)

Anyway...as is known on the site stylist have misinformation and continue to perpetuate it. Split ends may travel up the hairshaft but uneven hair just grows down and I don't need to get a huge cut for it...I understand as part of your professionalism you want your work to look good and perfectly coiffed but if I tell you I'm growing my hair, then I would like to grow to that point (btw I hit my goal of APL but now I'm back where I was before).

So I've resigned to just going to her more often so she can do light dustings and feel better about it.

AsTheCurlzTurns

I wish I knew!:rolleyes:

But on second thought, you stated, you didn't see a split but just saw uneveness, ummm why would you want to even go back for a dusting? If she can give you a huge cut for a supposed split, when it was actually uneven, what's to stop her from giving you another cut for what she deems splits?

You could also invest in to some good cutting shears and do your own dusting at home. That way you'll know what your hair really needs instead of having a setback.

tiffers

Whisper "bleep boop" to yourself when you're sad.
Why'd you let her cut and why are you going back? :perplexed

Last edited:

BrownSkin2

I think stylists like to cut rough/uneven ends so that you can have smooth even ends when you leave the salon. It looks better and the hair lays better, but if you are growing your hair out and there's no splits, then there is no need to cut. I agree with the other ladies. I would not go back to her.

lana

You seem upset that you allowed her to cut your hair. I understand because I've been there, but I wish (I REALLY WISH) you had not allowed her to trim off your progress. I feel for you. You can't allow this again though because you know that she was wrong. It seems harsh, but you have to either choose NOT to go to a stylist again or say "Hey, it's my hair I DECIDE what happens to it."

I think you should have stood up and paid her for the work she had done so far and then left.

I say this from experience. I used to go to a guy stylist that was fabulous! But guess what? My hair not only didn't get longer, it got SHORTER. Because every few weeks he was wanting to trim so my hair would "hold a curl". I saw nothing wrong with it until I realized I was LOSING length. I haven't been back to a stylist since! I cut my own hair, do my own trims and I ignore uneven ends as long as they are NOT split.

Please consider doing your hair yourself or going to someone that is going to give you what you ask for (and pay for).

nodisrespect

What I don't understand is why are most stylists so thirsty to cut hair anyway? I have had a stylist before where I said over and over so many times that I did not want her to cut my hair that eventually she's like "oh I'll just do it for free because you really need it cut." Even if I have split ends all the way up to my scalp, if I say I don't want you to cut my hair you need to accept that and move on. Why should you be worried about making HER feel better? It's YOUR hair! And if you believe you don't have any split ends there is nothing wrong with saying so. I co wash daily and I have yet to see a SINGLE split end in my entire head.

Ivonnovi

Sylist understand the difference, but cutting makes them more money.

Also, depending on your hairstyle, they may offer this to keep you from overstyling (therefore over processing/manipulating) the "longer" strands. (I know me and Wendy Williams have been guilty of this),

BUT no matter what they should clearly state the purpose for the cut, not try to use the "split all the way up the hair shaft" scare tactic. THAT JUST PISSES ME THE F! OFF!!

Forever in Bloom

Sylist understand the difference, but cutting makes them more money.

Also, depending on your hairstyle, they may offer this to keep you from overstyling (therefore over processing/manipulating) the "longer" strands. (I know me and Wendy Williams have been guilty of this),

BUT no matter what they should clearly state the purpose for the cut, not try to use the "split all the way up the hair shaft" scare tactic. THAT JUST PISSES ME THE F! OFF!!

Exactly, you don't see on their list of charges the cost to "trim". At least I don't :look: If they claim they see a split end, I'd rather grab the tweezers and pluck it from the root!!

Wanderland

I'm contemplating returning because I like the service, and though she didn't understand the difference I appreciate that she consulted me first and had me look in the mirror and at my ends. We eventually compromised and she did a "trim" that was a little extra. I'm frustrated but I know that I cannot do a relaxer myself (at least not yet anyway). I need to have a stronger voice though.

Dayjoy

Old School Member
I'm contemplating returning because I like the service, and though she didn't understand the difference I appreciate that she consulted me first and had me look in the mirror and at my ends. We eventually compromised and she did a "trim" that was a little extra. I'm frustrated but I know that I cannot do a relaxer myself (at least not yet anyway). I need to have a stronger voice though.
I am right with you. I have decided to stop blaming my SHS for over trimming and just take it upon myself to SPEAK UP and refuse a trim. I also get great service and don't plan to become a self relaxer.:nono: